[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Batman Miniatures Game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10
File: image.png (570 KB, 600x768) Image search: [Google]
image.png
570 KB, 600x768
So, just heard about this game. Is it decent? Is it garbage? Anyone play it?

The rules are supposedly free online somewhere in PDF form but I sure as heck can't find 'em. I'm not about to spend sixty on a rulebook before I know anything about the game.
>>
Nothing?

Well, it's not skubhammer so I guess no one plays.
>>
>>43974191
I don't see a whole lot for it, to be honest. I'm sure there are people that play it, but you'll probably have to drum up interest in your own area if you want friends to play with.

Also, the minis look to be about the same price as Warmahordes stuff, although you may find difficulty in getting them, as there is supposedly some weird legal issue preventing Knight from selling in most stores.
>>
>>43974191
I bought enough miniatures to have two small gangs and played it with a buddy.
It's fun. If you're looking for the crunch to try to capture the spirit of Batman I think you'd be pleased. Batman grapnels around the table and stuns thugs. Cops go and arrest the stunned thugs before they get up again. There are actual stealth and lighting mechanics, which was a big deal for me.

I can't comment on how mechanically tight the game is, but it feels like the sort of game that emphasizes theme over balance. You're also going to have to buy online and most likely convert some friends to play.

The rules used to be free on the official website but I can't find them now that I'm looking. I have a copy I can upload to Mega if you want. I think the printed rules might be slightly different though.
>>
Theme over balance is totally cool I wouldn't be trying to play this competitively but it might be fun to fuck around with.

I just never buy into a game without reading the rules and such.
>>
So, how does this game work exactly? Can one player just run Batman against some thugs?
Can I have a fight between say, Bane and a couple of his mercenary friends against Joker, Harley and a dozen psychos?
>>
>>43978156
It is actually very well balanced even though it does focus on them though. Similarly statted guys are seen throughout each gang with a few key differences that make them unique. It definitely could be a competitive game if you wished.

>>43978254
Basically yeah, it's small gangs knocking chunks out each other during the night. There are a load of different objectives and scenery plays a big part of the game. Batman is batman but he can still get mobbed up and kicked in the shins by some goons (who if you're playing Heath Ledger joker, one of which may have a bomb strapped up inside his gut) or solomon grundy might just slap his shit if he gets the chance.

Guns are very powerful as they should be, but as it's at night range is pretty low and ammo is limited. There are streetlights around which can brighten up areas so positioning is important, but then again you can expend your own ammunition and shoot the lights out. It's all just "nice". Everything about the game is fluid.
>>
>>43978254
One chooses a leader (or a sidekick) as a boss.
Usually these cost between 75-150.
Then you fill out your points either with free agents or mercenaries (deathstroke, riddler, firefly, catwoman), 1 sidekick (harley to joker, nightwing and gordon to batman) or just mooks.
Then you fight over stationary objective each with their own subset of rules (venom counter for drugs, riddles to solve).
Also they are releasing a marvel version too.
>>
File: batman animated series.jpg (42 KB, 960x320) Image search: [Google]
batman animated series.jpg
42 KB, 960x320
Dumping new releases. They just got the rights to the animated series.
>>
File: catwoman animated series.jpg (44 KB, 960x320) Image search: [Google]
catwoman animated series.jpg
44 KB, 960x320
>>43980401
But this is all they have announced so far.
>>
File: riddler mech.jpg (57 KB, 960x320) Image search: [Google]
riddler mech.jpg
57 KB, 960x320
>>43980411
Riddler gang gets a fancy new toy as well.
>>
File: black manta.jpg (59 KB, 960x320) Image search: [Google]
black manta.jpg
59 KB, 960x320
>>43980420
Some suicide squaddu stuff too.
>>
File: katana.jpg (55 KB, 960x320) Image search: [Google]
katana.jpg
55 KB, 960x320
>>43980428
>>
File: oh boy miniguns.jpg (40 KB, 960x320) Image search: [Google]
oh boy miniguns.jpg
40 KB, 960x320
>>43980438
and finally, a big bloke with a big gun. These are all being released throughout December by the looks of things.
>>
>>43980438
>>43980428
Holy crap these two look bad.
>>
>>43980428
>>43980438
>those minis
Jesus, no wonder people stick with GW.
>>
>>43980454
>>43980471
I quite like the black manta one, if not for the effeminate kick he's doing. That katana does leave a lot to be desired though it must be said.
>>
>>43980401
Still no Robin from Adam West series.
>>
>>43980503
I'd auto buy a Cesar Romero joker too. Here's hoping for a 60s batman release next year.
>>
>>43980471
Compare them to the releases of last month.
>>
I was interested in starting up this so that I could make a Baneposting list.

I then realized no-one plays this in the US.

So I have Bane sitting on a shelf.

He's a big model.
>>
>>43974191

I bought some models for the game myself when struck by a sudden Batman obsession; got the boxed set with Liam Neeson and ninjas, the Gordon SWAT team set, Batgirl and a couple of cops eventually.

It's just a game that feels like it should. It's set at night, so the SWAT member's gun doesn't fire far and he's not very accurate, but if he hits you you're toast. The ninjas have claws on their shoes to scale walls so they can grab objectives and run away over the rooftops, the cops can't follow them but Batgirl will grapple up or knock them down with Batarangs. The cop with a taser can do some damage and the cops certainly outnumber the ninjas, but a tasered ninja may recovered while a decapitated cop won't. Gordon's a bit of a beast and Batgirl's very capable, but they both need to be somewhere else when Liam Neeson comes knocking.

It's not something that's easy to get friends into, but the miniatures are extremely nice Batman models and the rules are great once you have them. You don't need to buy much to buy in either and unlike other skirmish games you can actually just keep playing with your six or so models. It's something I'm happy with keeping in a box and breaking out once in a while, and I'm idly considering buying the Animated Series Catwoman.
>>
File: what am i looking at.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
what am i looking at.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
So you have to buy these, then paint them as nicely as they look in the pictures, right?

Fuck you. I'm onto your shit. You've practiced for years painting motherfucking eyebrows and corneas onto figurines less than an inch high for years. If I paint them myself they're going to look like pic related.
>>
>>43980966
That's a really good summation of the game. I also found it really fucking difficult to get friends into, but one game and they were hooked. I think the low model count hurts the interest in it, but the actual gameplay is what ends up drawing people in.

>>43981065
Just take it slow and remember that you can always strip the paint off the models if you really mess up. It's a skill that comes with practice, yes, but you'll find there's a massive jump between "oh god what am I doing" and "hey, that looks presentable" that comes after you have the basics down.

For example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4sLVwx10ug is quite a rush job with basic techniques used but still has a pretty decent outcome. Not the best by any means but when you put it down on the table it'll look the part.
>>
>>43981065

It's actually really good for painting.

The miniatures are 35mm not 28, so the details aren't as tiny as most models. A lot of the characters wear black, so you can practise shading with your dark greys. You can get gangs made up of three or four models, so you can spend all the time you want.
>>
>>43981134
So it's just smaller skirmish battles with Batman theme? I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to need some juicy gimmicks or fun shit in the rules to get onto this. I'd rather just pick up necromunda again, campaign shit where I'll have to battle mutants in turf wars or something.
>>
File: Batman bruce.jpg (211 KB, 535x1280) Image search: [Google]
Batman bruce.jpg
211 KB, 535x1280
>>43981392
The game is very thematic:
>>43980966
Gameplay is only at night (so LoS goes 30 cm) but Batman has stealth (Can only be seen at 20cm),so he can sneak on buildings, drop down with with cape and then sneak attack
Rules:
its a skirmish game with a low minion count.
You alternate activation and can do one move and one attack.
Gameplay is mostly about objectives which you either place in the enemy deployment Zone(Ammo, drugs and more VP) or between both Forces (Riddles and Loot).
Now you either try to gain Vp by camping the enemy deployment Zone, get the Loot and riddle or just kill anyone and get Vp through that.
At the beginning of a turn, you have to plan what you're going to do with a number of counters - Batman has a willpower of 8, so he gets 8 counters a turn. He splits that between Movement counter, Attack counter, Defense, and Special counter. Now you activate a guy and declare what he does.
For each movement counter he can either declare a run (MC + SC) or just increase his movement by (Amount of MC)d6
For each attack counter you roll one die once.
You hit the enemy on his defense, so Batman (120 Points ) is hit with 5+, goon number 4 (17) is hit on 2+. He can now use his defensive marker to block. To block he needs to roll above the enemies attack and remove that many wounding die. If you hit, you wound with your strenght and inflict your weapon damage..
Now there are two kind of damage: Stun and Blood
So Batman can't kill his enemies as he only deals Stun damage, he can only knock them KO giving them a slim chance to stand up again
>>
>>43981392
Yeah as >>43981577 has covered, it's more in-depth mechanically than necromunda or the like but overall can't really do campaigns as of now.

If you want fun and gimmicks then either a joker or poison army gang is your thing. Arkham joker gets the one shot gun a la Jack Nicholson's joker and some exploding teeth which chase their targets down while heath ledger joker can plant a bomb inside one of his grunts that you can blow up at any time. Poison ivy has seed tokens that can be placed around the table which can grow into plants of her choice at any marker which can lead to some fun mind games and trickery. Each gang has their niche but the others are a bit simpler (for example black mask simply gets more dosh to spend and cheap goons with a focus more on guns).
>>
>>43980401

I actually really like this one. It looks like they did a great job of translating this one's art style into miniature.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.