[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wurm Ice Age RPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (227 KB, 827x1174) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227 KB, 827x1174
So has anyone played this? Is it any good?

Recently saw it on kickstarter and I'm very tempted to pledge but I'm a lot more curious about the system than what information is provided.

My group mainly plays Traveller if that'll help describe the transition from that to Wurm.
>>
>>43964855
Never heard of it.

Have you ever read TOTEM, OP? It's a pretty unique system for ice-age games.
>>
>>43964855
Is this related to the Wurm MMORPG?Or is the name just incidental?
>>
>>43964940
It's just a coincidence

>>43964915
I don't beliece so?
>>
>>43964855
Nothing?
>>
>>43964855
>>43967433

It's a fucking french rpg and the kickstarter for making an English version still has 5 days to go. Do you honestly expect some frog who's played the game and can be arsed to give you a rundown of the mechanics to stumble on this thread in like 5 hours?
>>
>>43964855
2d6 vs target number, 3d6 if you have a relevant skill, 2d6-3 if you have a relevant weakness.

"Mini games" for hunting, spirit magic things and so on.

There is an English version of the quickstart rules out there somewhere, from what I've heard the English edition is mostly going to be the same with some more background info and options.
>>
>>43964855
>Würm allows to play European inhabitants from the last Ice Age: Long Men, Cro-Magnons or Bear Men (Neanderthal). It puts stress on the various activities (survival, social life, etc.) of the different tribes of the sparse population from this time. Stress is also put on relationship with spirits and supernatural powers.
A PC is defined by its Strengths (one of which is set by the people he belongs to) and its Weaknesses. The latter can be physical or social, and a PC can have up to 3 of them. You can buy one Strength or Skill by picking one Weakness. Strengths grant bonuses in certain situations and are linked to an animal. This inflicts a Taboo on the PC: He may not eat or kill this animal (except in self-defence).
Skills (they allow to craft items) and Secret Knowledge represent the fields of which the PC is an expert. At creation, he has only one (from his Tribe), plus those he bought against Weaknesses. Secret Knowledge are combat techniques or magic powers.
The PC has XP and Prestige. XP can be spent temporarily to get a bonus to a roll, or permanently to improve his characteristics. Prestige is the sum of Bravoure, Generosity and (if the PC has some) Wisdom. It represents his social status, hence his privileges and relationships with spirits and tribes. Endurance quantifies his physical resistance.
Finally, a Totem animal is defined by the tribe he belongs to. He can summon this spirit to add bonus dice to his rolls, from a reserve called Manna. To get dice in your Manna, you need to pray, etc. If the number of dice in your Manna falls to 0, the spirit gets angry. Chaman can ask spirits to bless or curse someone.
To resolve an action, roll 2d6, sum it and compare it to a difficulty threshold. Skills and Knowledge often allow to add 1 die to this roll. Two 6s are a critical success, and two 1s a critical failure. Combat is round-based, Dodge score is usually preset. You can chose to be Prudent or Bold, which modifies your Attack/Dodge scores.
>>
>>43968065
>>43967981
So, what kind of adventures do players go on? I imagine "find prey, kill prey, drag prey home" gets boring after a while, at least if the GM doesn't throw in some interesting twists.
>>
>>43968094
Social play and resources are very important.

It's not really a "go kill stuff in a dungeon" game it's more like "oh shit this other tribe is moving in on our turf I hope we can work something out so we don't starve or have to start a war" kind of game. Combat is pretty simple mechanically and doesn't really have the kind of granularity that appeals to murderhobos. No masterwork flint axe +5 or sick mammoth totem builds.
>>
File: photo-original.jpg (281 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
photo-original.jpg
281 KB, 1536x1152
>>43968811
So it's kinda like Hillfolk?
>>
The dice are pretty neat
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.