[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2015 >Still no system where skellingtons are a mainstream
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: SIDF.jpg (136 KB, 719x960) Image search: [Google]
SIDF.jpg
136 KB, 719x960
>2015
>Still no system where skellingtons are a mainstream playable race
>>
>>43960904
Damn disgraceful that is. What ever shall we do?!
>>
>>43960930
We shall go to sleep.

Its probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but its the one you'll receive.
>>
I've actually been fiddling with something (wouldn't call it a system, just a bunch of rules and stuff right now) that has the players play as a band of skeletons in a worldwide graveyard. You fight, scavenge and thrive. Or you die, and your bones are used for some other to advance. Think of something along the lines of Monster Hunter: Spooky Scary Skeleton Edition. Complete with dragon, kraken, mammoth, and even abomination skeletons
>>
I once tried making a custom race for Pathfinder based on humans. But that was a shit idea.
>>
>>43960904
why does the skeleton want to fuck boys?
>>
>>43961898
>Kraken skeletons
So, just a cartilaginous, if anything?
You do realize that tentacles don't contain bones, right?
>>
>>43963779
Rule of cool anon
>>
They've had playable skeletons as a race since AD&D.
>>
>>43960904
I remember once playing a weird rpg as a skeleton in a group where there was a tiny fairy, a sucubuss, a minotaur and a dwarf in a world where magical beings where shunned as boogeyman. My objective in unlife was to make the cool hair from the tombstone picture I come from.

Gods could give me flying ships and a shapeshifting weapon, but coundt make hair grow out of my skull, fucking gods i tell you.
>>
File: carlos.png (157 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
157 KB, 425x282
>>43960904
the concept doesn't have any meat on it.
It's pretty bare bones.
>>
WoD is famous for taking common tropes about fantasy monsters and tranforming them into stories about people with different mental conditions (paranoia for demons, mania for mages etc). What would Skeleton: The Skeletoning be about?
>>
>>43963930
Annoying this is, he does have a point
>>
>>43960904
Noggenfogger
>>
>>43963938
Osteoporosis
>>
>>43963779
>Not knowing the the wonders of skeleton anatomy.

The skeleton is the most versatile creature there is! Capable of mimicking any creature and being better then said creature at the same time (By virtue of being a skeleton).

Kraken skeleton is small bones. Nothing compared to the pinnacle of skeleton creation.
>>
>>43963724
It actually appears he wishes to re-appropriate their purpose to spooking anon. As to why skeletons want less fuc bois in the world?

jealousy
>>
They just need to build Mr. Bones's machine and spooky is everywhere
>>
File: 1439315578013.jpg (335 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1439315578013.jpg
335 KB, 2048x1536
>there's a skeleton inside all of us
>but you are inside the skeleton
>>
>>43960904
I just refluff whatever the edgy half-vampire or half-undead race is as a goofy rattlebro
>>
>>43965090
This looks like those abberations from Dark Sun. The ones Preservers mutate into.
>>
>>43963938
Skeletons aren't actually the footsoldiers of evil, but Chaotic Neutral tricksters who just want to spook superstitious peasants.

They also like dancing.
>>
>>43965140
Yes, but what's the conflict about?

In Vampire bloodsuckers constantly struggle to retain their humanity and not let the Beast inside them take control.

In Demon (the new one) the fragments of the God-Machine are desperate loners who need to hide from humanity, agents of their creator, and even their own kind. Revealing their true nature equals destruction.

In Mage spellcasters must fight their own hubris and lowly desires to attain cosmic wisdom.

What would Skeleton have as such underlying principles?
>>
File: zlCfzSmnxLA0chcDMz[1].jpg (125 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
zlCfzSmnxLA0chcDMz[1].jpg
125 KB, 800x450
>>43965181
>What would Skeleton have as such underlying principles?
And endless struggle against boredom. Being dead without genitals or the ability to taste coffee gets boring really fast.
>>
>>43965181
Anorexia
>>
>>43960904
>a group of skeletons are awakened by a spell.
>Who casted it, no one knows
>Fighting and killing mortals stabilizes their presence in the mortal world.
>They get stronger
>correction: They get their strength back
>so does their memories
>little by little layers of flesh grow back on their bones and they get memories back from their past.
>>
>>43965181
>Welcome to the World of Darkness where mortals go about their own business without realizing the spooky underlying truth of the universe:
>There's a skeleton inside every single one of them
>But there are chosen few who are in touch with their inner skeletons. They can attain phenomenal power of spookiness and use their calcium strength to their advantage.
>Some prophets, soothsayers, and fortune-tellers predict the end of humanity, and dawn of the new golden age when skeleton will be free from constraints of flesh.
>Whether it's true or just a superstition, skeletons must still hide their true form from the all-seeing eyes of the Meaty Ones.
>Disciplines:
>Calcium - power of Bone, that allows the user to enhance his strength, or make himself almost indestructible.
>Spookiness - power of Fear, that allows the user to instill terror in the cowardly fleshy hearts of the Meaty Ones.
>Gang Rape - power of Violation, that allows the user to humiliate the Meaty Ones, revealing their weakness, and allowing their inner skeleton to awaken.
>>
>>43960904
They are no more nor less playable in Gurps than many funny racial or professional templates. They are actually functionally less complicated than many Super type characters or other things, actually.

Sure, they have advantage things about "doesn't eat or sleep, etc" but in practice, that's just codifying what's already obvious and what you'll remember.

The main things to worry about are really, does everyone understand the damage implications (probably, they are fairly resilient to gunfire, piercing, etc) and whether or not you actually count as "brittle" and in what sense.

It would be kind of balls to be the only party member that suddenly crumbled into dust at a comparatively low HP threshold, but then, at a low points value, that might be the only way you get to be a skellington.

Then you have other things like how you are animated, (whether you can be Turned, whether you owe favors to a Dark God, whether or not you are smart and independent, probably, but not necessarily, you might be Data-ish, whether or not you exist for the purpose of revenge, etc.)

It's really not a bad package under some circumstances though. Of course, you will take a nasty hit diplomatically because you are a living skeleton and terrify most people by default, but what did you want?

If you want to be undead and not scare people be a certain kind of Vampire, a relatively intact zombie and embalm yourself/wear lots of perfume and don't shake hands much, etc.
>>
What about robot skeletons?

and no, terminator dont count
>>
Every character you've ever played was a skeleton in a meat-suit.
>>
>>43965594
Tell us something we don't know
>>
>>43965594
>not playing as an awakened ochre jelly or black pudding
>>
>>43960904
4e has revenants, although I wouldn't really call them mainstream.
>>
>>43964112
>Bone Kraken made from mountains of human bones, held together with legendary smithing magic
I like it. Will it be done by the end of next year?
>>
>>43960904
Wrong

>>Warhammer Tomb Kings
>>Warcraft RPG Forsaken
>>Can be done in 2 minutes in GYROS
>>Literally just one template at character creation in D&D/Pathfinder
>>Mutants and Masterminds
>>Could probably do some stupid techno wizardry in Shadowrun to justify it
>>
>>43966082
>Shadowrun
Can legitimately play a man who extended his lifespan a thousand-fold by sealing his mind and skull inside a stasis jar
>put the rest of his body inside a suit tied to a metal exoskeleton
>his body decays to nothing but bones with metal rods through them, including skull, but is still linked up by cybernetics
>He's a skeleton with a brain in a suit he can never take off
And if you add a dragon to the mix, you can get by with just about anything if you are okay with losing everything.
>>
>>43966203
How will that fare with your Essence through?
>>
>>43966330
Good question. It depends on the sealing capacity of the suit and whether or not anyone ever punctures it.
>>
>>43966377
How much essence will it cost for the inital set up?
>>
File: sans.png (21 KB, 178x172) Image search: [Google]
sans.png
21 KB, 178x172
>>43963930
>skelton thread
>not using pic related for your punny post
>>
>>43960904
>>Still no system where skellingtons are a mainstream playable race
Terrible in-joke is really fucking terrible.
>>
>>43965327
>he has calcium strength, at his command, SKELETON MAAAAAAAN
>>
File: 1cs.png (688 KB, 701x627) Image search: [Google]
1cs.png
688 KB, 701x627
>>43960904
>>
>>43965212
Hello, Ashley Olsen.
>>
>>43963938
Narcissism or body dysmorphia, wehre the change from human to skeleton has irrvocibly changed how a skelly views themselves.
>>
>>43965736
Globbagul is based.
>>
>>43965886
>>43960904
4e also has shardmind and warforged refluff options that would work just fine with essentially NO hiccups, and barely a few moments worth of thought on how to change mechanics, if at all (change the word construct to undead, change any resistance to necrotic, change any vulnerability to radiant, done.).... in-fact they have worked fine in my games.
>>
>>43960904

Good
>>
File: 1as.png (838 KB, 700x651) Image search: [Google]
1as.png
838 KB, 700x651
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.