[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Her Majesty's Navy vs Knights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: sailing frigate.jpg (667 KB, 3104x2053) Image search: [Google]
sailing frigate.jpg
667 KB, 3104x2053
Lt. Baily, Master of the Watch: "Captain!"
Captain: "Yes Mr Baily"
Lt. Baily: "We've spotted a camp of Knights out on the sea three miles north along the coastline."
Captain: "Are you certain it's knights."
Lt. Baily: "Colorful streamers and tents, big horses and fellows in shiny clothes."
Captain: "Very good. Sound general quarters and run out the guns."
>Twenty minutes latter, the Knight's camp finds itself under a hail of roundshot fired by eight thirty pounder carronades and four 12 pounder long guns.
>>
File: Knight.jpg (315 KB, 1563x1788) Image search: [Google]
Knight.jpg
315 KB, 1563x1788
>>43952030
Oh no! Those dishonorable unchivalric sailors have blasted dozen of glorious knights and their proud destriers to bits with their cannons! Fellow knights, we must make haste lest we all...
>A 30 pound roundshot from the second broadside blasts through sir Knightington's head
>>
Why did you take the time to type this drivel up?
>>
>>43952257
Why did you take time replying to it?
>>
>>43952722
Honest curiosity, I imagine.

It's kind of flabbergasting how inane this is. It's only human to want some kind of justification, to hope that there's some kind of reason or meaning behind things this bad.
>>
File: Carronade.jpg (134 KB, 640x853) Image search: [Google]
Carronade.jpg
134 KB, 640x853
>>
>>43952030

Hey there's a question I didn't realize I had, how accurate would a salvo of fire be from an off-shore Age of Sail frigate or sloop? Either under sail or at anchor. How accurate were they in general?
>>
>>43955913
Standard range for gun duels between ships was something to the effect of 200-400 meters. But that was against moving targets while your ship was moving, going up and down with waves and there was also a desire to hit the enemy with a full broadside where most of it would hit, which meant getting in close (this also improved the hitting power of each cannonball). They could hit targets up to a kilometer a kilometer away, but with much more misses. Against stationary land targets range was longer. A long gun could hit targets up to two kilometers away and a cannonade could hit targets about a kilometer away
>>
>>43956431

Thanks, I appreciate it
>>
>>43956819
No prob
>>
>>43952030
Sir Jacques: My lord, there's a ship flying the British flag in the cove!
Baron Montmorency: Tell the men to ready for battle! We'll depart the camp, once they sally forth in their boats after they finish bombarding our empty camp, we'll charge them once they arrive on the shore!
>twenty minutes later, the ship wastes its ammunition shelling an empty camp
>an hour later, the boats land on the shore, and the marines on board get impaled on the ends of the knights lances
>>
File: brown bes.jpg (35 KB, 918x167) Image search: [Google]
brown bes.jpg
35 KB, 918x167
>>43957623
Sergeant Major Adams: back to sea lads!
>The marines push their boats from the shore, row outwards and fire their brown besses at the knights from the safety of the water, a few marines die buying their comrades in arms time to get away
>>
>>43955501
Eh, long guns are better
>>
>>43955501
>>43957623
>>43958339
Why are you trying to keep this alive?
>>
i chuckled
>>
>>43959964
I could ask the same of you?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.