[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Korean Three Kingdom Information
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Map.jpg (41 KB, 350x539) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
41 KB, 350x539
I'm going to start something of a campaign involving the Korean Three Kingdom Period, specifically relating to the 4th century.
Does anyone know of any good resources I can use to gather information on: population, demographics, settlement information, prominent peoples of the time and just general information.
Books, blogs, websites, journals ,etc would be a great help.
>>
>>43942816
Have you tried asking on /his/? That might be a better place to get resources.
>>
>>43942883
Asking a legitimate question on /his/ is like trying to discuss anything on /pol/
>>
History semi-nerd and Korean here. Where do you want to start
>>
I think we can start with how well can you read Korean
>>
BTW I think you should move away from 4th century to something onwards, preferably 6th century at least. Shinra was not a full-fledged ancient nation with a proper kingship until 5CE, and they still struggled so much that they had to ally with Bakjae against Goguryeo, which was still really bad for them. 3 countries actually start competing with each other only in 6CE when Goguryeo started to struggle against Tang dynasty.
>>
>>43943124
>>43943124

Very interesting, I think your right. I want a super balanced system where at the end of the day, anyone can win. I also want for it to be as Korean-centric as possible, I understand that the Bakjae needs foreign involvement to really flesh it out so I think foreign auxillary/mercenaries can work for them.
I also want the Goguryeo to be the biggest nation and strongest, but have the Commanderies also be a constant source of internal unrest and possible rebellion. Also want to have the Silla and Bakjae to come into conflict over Gaya and its valuable metalworking potentials.
In your opinion what year is a good year to make a balance and exciting campaign, with the above mentioning into some account. I’m no expect on the period. Also can you recommend any sources for me to pour into for a better understanding.
>>
>>43942981
Also sorry, I can't read Korean at all. I'm choosing the Korean 3 kingdoms period because the prerequisites for me making this campaign was medieval and asian. I was thinking the Chinese 3 kingdoms, but opted for Korea because it seems more manageable and generally more obscure and exciting IMO
>>
>>43943388

Even in Korea few books about Korean Three Kingdoms period (Samguk Sidae) have been published, as there are so few records and you have to go through Chinese and sometimes Japanese texts to understand what it was really about. And like I said, the actual Samguk Sidae spans only about 100 years between the year 560 and 660. Before that there were many more countries around the three - Gaya is the most famous one, but there's Buyeo, Mokji, Dongye, Okjeo, Nakrang, etc. on which not much was written.

You'll have to search for books on your own, but here's what I know: If you want to do a game about Samguk Sidae, focus on that "real" Samguk Sidae in 7CE. You can actually play with power balance if you choose that period. Goguryeo is the biggest military power, but they keep making conflicts with Sui and Tang dynasty, when their only reliable ally is Malgal tribe that lives in the far north. Bakjae is a trader country that stores a huge wealth while wielding a huge power towards Japan, but the unrest between major familes are taking the toll, and their biggest port for trade, Hansung (current Seoul), is taken by Shinra. Shinra is traditionally the weakest of the three, and while they just assimilated Hansung area, that made them a common target for both Goguryeo and Bakjae. So they just started negotiations with Tang for military support, which has their own agenda of invading Korean peninsula. So if you are seeking for balance, this is the only time period to look into.
>>
>>43943388

I can't say about the metal workings of the period, but AFAIK Gaya's technology did help Shinra to become a major player in the peninsula. However it's not that Goguryeo and Bakjae had lesser technology. There are two more important factors that helped Shinra to survive: First, politically, they were relatively stable. Even though there were three major ruling family, the Kim family got the upper hand against Seok and Park, so much so that a Queen was enthroned because she was the only decendent of Kim family. Also they had the advantage of the landscape: their capital was protected by Taebaek Sanmaek(Taebaek range) and Nakdong-gang(Nakdong river), which made it difficult for other countries to get through,
>>
>>43943846
>>43943906

Having it in hovering around 600 does seem like the most balanced decision, shame there’s such a lack of sources. I might have to make up some characters as I go along at this rate.
Thanks for giving some input, I might pop by /tg/ a bunch more times finalizing everything. What time range do you browse? I’m hoping to maybe talk to you a bit more about this in the future.
>>
>>43943956

Well I don't frequent /tg/, a friend just showed me a link saying maybe I can help. I'm thinking you can contact me through mail if I leave my address, but this being 4chan... eh. Is there any way you can contact me directly?
>>
>>43942816
>Three Kingdoms Period
>Map clearly shows four kingdoms

Seems legit.
>>
>>43943990

Well to be fair "Three Kingdoms" is a really arbitrary term used to summarize Korea's feudal age, so yeah. Not OP's fault.
>>
>>43943978
contact me on this email of [email protected] and we can talk some more
>>
>>43944034

Got it
>>
>>43942816
>East Sea
>Dokdo
I smiled.

Have you watched any of the Korean historical dramas?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.