[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fans of 'roll %, try to get under your skill'; How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 734x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 734x960
Fans of 'roll %, try to get under your skill'; How does the defender effect what I need to roll? Does a big bulky dude have the same chance to be hit as a nimbly dodgy guy?
>>
>>43926836
A fair amount of systems give a bonus to hit larger targets. As an example, Rogue Trader gives +10 to shoot large targets.
>>
>>43926836

Depends on the system. Usual response is a bonus to hit easier targets and modifiers dependent on what your target is doing.
>>
>>43926974
>>43926995
These. RQ6 gives you a bonus, if I remember correctly, and if you get it you'll probably need it.
>>
A common innovation is "Roll under your skill but above the target's relevant defense".
>>
>>43926974
Just bonuses for larger? Not one for super-nimble? (Keep in mind; I ask wanting sword and magic combat).

There's just something wowed for me (and a few friends), that I'm harder to hit, so you get a minus rather than I get a plus
>>
>>43926995
But HOW does that play out?
>>
>>43926836
Other solutions: defenses reduce the percentage of the attacker's roll
OR most common: Attack and Defense are both rolled, if Defense wins Attack fails. (commonly defenses are lower and/or more expensive)
OR Attack and Defense both roll, highest success wins out.
>>
>>43927071
Modifying the chance of hit? Eh... Honestly it's pretty clunky, speedwise. It gets worse if they stack, much like D&D's thing with various modifications being added up, only here it's the default thing.

There's a reason it's more popular to do defense rolls.
>>
>>43927941
If attack wins, defense fails? So why would I roll attack?

I like the % roll under, but it seems like either how good the attack or how good the defense matters, but never both at the same time

It's making me think Podunk farmer can just dodge every attack a god throws at him
>>
>>43926836

>Does a big bulky dude have the same chance to be hit as a nimbly dodgy guy?

In Dark Heresy 1st Ed the bonuses and penalties for the size of a target range from -30 to +30. As for nimbleness, a character who has just used the run action causes a -20 to ranged attacks used against them. If the character acquires the talent Hard Target then that penalty becomes -40. There are a few little quirks like this in the system.

Bonuses or penalties max out at +60 or -60

>>43927978

>Honestly it's pretty clunky, speedwise. It gets worse if they stack

Perhaps at first, but in my personal experience, once you've got one or two people at the table who are familiar with the rules (ideally with one of them being the GM) you can blitz through rounds of combat easily.

>>43929231

>It's making me think Podunk farmer can just dodge every attack a god throws at him

Theoretically, it could happen in DH. It's unlikely however as Podunk farmer likely has a low agility score, making his dodging skills rather poor. Additionally, as he's just a farmer, he probably has only one reaction per round of combat with which to dodge the gods attacks. This might be enough when he's against the rather puny stableboy who has only one attack per turn, but a god is likely to have more than one, so even if he dodges the first, he still has another to contend with.

>it seems like either how good the attack or how good the defense matters, but never both at the same time

Automatic weapons in DH. The attacker causes an additional bullet to hit their target with each degree of success (10%) on their attack roll. The defender dodges an additional bullet for each degree of success (10%) on a dodge roll
>>
>>43926836
the 40k rpgs have an active defense and set value armor soak that accounts for small fast guys and big walking tanks
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.