[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Erfworld Bk 3 Pg 112
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Erf3_112_900_web.jpg (489 KB, 900x1245) Image search: [Google]
Erf3_112_900_web.jpg
489 KB, 900x1245
+10 vs Fat Guys From Ohio
>>
>is from Ohio

Oof.
>>
File: Erf3_108_900_web.jpg (520 KB, 900x1245) Image search: [Google]
Erf3_108_900_web.jpg
520 KB, 900x1245
>>43913277
Tis' a reference to Parson saying it in 108.
>>
>>43912746
Ahah.
>>
>>43912746

So my guess he is dying without the dish; Charley played this too hard and fast since the very beginning.
>>
>>43912746
I liked how Stanley got pissed enough to disband Parson and couldn't.
>>
>>43916312
I think the best part is that this downfall wasn't Parson's outside the box thinking. It was just a random action of a lone unit, and maybe that's why it worked. Charlie's got a bad case of tunnel vision.
>>
>>43916469
So, a unit can override their leader's orders if they think they'll cause the end of the side.
Does that mean pretty much anyone in GK with a brain can veto Stanley?
>>
>>43916560
It could just be another case of the laws of the land not applying to Parson. He seems to be able to bend and break them the longer he's around.
>>
>>43916560
>>43916743
Imagine you're playing a 4x or wargame of some sort. You've been given a new unit that you've never seen before with some really weird stats. It starts bringing victory but the more you play it, the less it follows your commands, which is impossible. What's worse, is that it starts actively cheating and breaking the game rules as you know them or just rewriting them on the fly which is also impossible. It's also started promoting itself and you can't not use this unit anymore. You can't fire it or delete it and if you try stowing it away, it wanders off and does its own shit again without input. Parson is that, he's a unit that's gone completely fucking off the rails in your Age of Wonders/Endless Legend/Crusader Kings/whatever game.
>>
>>43916904
Now I want that to happen.
>>
>>43916904
Wow...that actually sounds kind of amazing when you put it like that.
>>
Did Erfworld ever stop doing the alternating strips and prose thing?
>>
>>43917385
That would require putting some amount of work in.
>>
>>43912746
>He's literally Charlie Brown

Huh. I thought Charlie was from Earth not Erfworld, but this means either he has a lot of knowledge about stuff which a native born Erfworlder shouldn't know or he's been in Erfworld long enough that his Signamancy has changed to his current form. Which would be weird since Charlie Brown is known for failing and Charlie himself is pretty successful.
>>
>>43917385

In absolute fairness, the prose actually focuses on relevant things now, so it's far more tolerable.
>>
>>43920323
Everything in Erfworld is a joke or meme reference. Up to this point we all assumed that "Charlie" was in reference to "Charlie's Angels". This is just a different character joke than we thought.
>>
>>43916904
>The game plays itself
I'm scared now.
>>
>>43920540
Right but they're jokes that only we would get. In Erfworld how you look reflects who you are, everyone is a walking reference or stereotype: the guy who looks like Nixon is a shady dick, the creepy pale girl is a necromancer, the guy who looks like a carny is a cheat. But Erfworlders don't recognize this because the stereotypes they're based on come from Earth.

Charlie's developed guns, and seems to understand Parsons references which implies that he's familiar with Earth. But no one from Earth would actually try and look like Charlie Brown, especially if they're in a world where your outward appearance reflects your true nature.

The weird thing is the Signamancy doesn't match up. Charlie Brown fails, a lot. It's what he does. It's his role as a character. That means anyone that looks like Charlie Brown in Erfworld is going to be a failure. So one of the most powerful and intelligent people on the planet, who plays entire factions like fiddles on a regular basis, is someone who's essence is failure.
>>
>>43921153
That's why he cheats and fights fate
he knows the game is rigged against him
>>
>>43912746
Well shit. Erfworld looks like it might be worth reading again. I've been bored with it since he threw the sword away.
>>
>>43921153
Well he's a carnymancer right? Maybe all his success is just him trying to convince the world he's something he's not.
>>
File: 132463724131.jpg (26 KB, 310x451) Image search: [Google]
132463724131.jpg
26 KB, 310x451
>>43920323

> mfw charlie is literally charlie brown

Also I'm happy to see this webcomic up and going again. I gave up on it a long time ago when it was struggling to find an artist.
>>
>>43921153
Well, uh, he has been hiding himself from view. Nobody even suspected that he was Charlie Brown (mfw).

I imagine that's how he circumvented his Signamancy. He seemed hypercompetent, and so he was. Now that everyone understands him a bit better, the Signamancy block will start to fall away.

I feel like mastering Signamancy makes the Hippiemancers far more powerful than they let on. Just like every other group of casters, I guess.
>>
>>43921153
>>43920323
In the Olive sidestory, it mentioned that there was another visitor from Earth, hosted by Charlie. Charlies original kingdom was a big wizard of oz knockoff with him as the wizard and his visitor being Dorothy from Kansas. It's unknown what she told Charlie or what influence she had on the world, but after she left, Olive, Charlies daughter, fucked over everyone including Charlie, forcing him to leave and found CharlesComm. It should also be noted that Olive bent and broke the rules quite a bit herself and held one of the largest sides the world had ever seen.
>>
Brump
>>
>>43921153
Charlie Brown fails, but he also endures.

Charlie Brown has been failing to kick that football for sixty years, and yet people still watch the Christmas & Halloween specials. People still buy Snoopy merch and spout Peanuts memes.

So I think Charlie Brown works perfectly as this powerful surviving force that rarely commits to act in the world (when was the last time Peanuts influenced you?) yet has never been unseated by any other force, and it's not clear if anything could ever actually kill him off for good.
>>
Am I the only one who doesn't mind the prose now?

Before in Bk1 and Bk2 it was clear sometimes that it was a quick freebie about the game rules in order to get something up - perhaps a table of notes or the like. Sometimes this lead to jarring notes in the middle of fight scenes and the like.

The flip side of this is in Bk3 the author has got a lot better at figuring out what works as a full comic or prose with pics.

Prose is good to get what characters are thinking, feeling and planning in concentrated short bursts, without sometimes falling into overly wordy exposition dialog like OOTS sometimes does.

Also the prose with some pics backer story for Duke Forecastle is top notch - Erfworld British navy with new mechanic exploits, Double Eagles and Quakkens.
>>
>>43916560
Yes Duty can override Loyalty.
I guess its to prevent Rulers from shooting themselves in the foot with ridiculous orders.
>>
>>43912746
>Xin is drawing again

Finally I can get back to reading this her replacement was ass and couldn't even get the cartoony theme of the world right.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.