[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is going on a grand adventure possible anymore in the cold world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: Amon_Rûdh.jpg (331 KB, 791x1200) Image search: [Google]
Amon_Rûdh.jpg
331 KB, 791x1200
Is going on a grand adventure possible anymore in the cold world of today? Was it ever possible?
>>
No.
Maybe.
>>
Sure. All you need is some good motivation.

>Save the world from an all-destroying plague
>Tople a nation that threatens everyone's prosperity
>Save the world from a oligarchy of tyrants

Use your imagination anon
>>
>>43908766
The age of heroes is long gone anon
>>
Just go psychotic, then everything will seem fantastical.
>>
>>43908771
Only if you're a cynical, nihilistic faggot.
>>
>>43908724
Yeah.

Go carve yourself a county in some failed state like Syria, Iraq or Sweden.
>>
>>43908766
I don't think I can topple America alone.
>>
>>43908724
Depends on what you classify as adventure. Its still possible (if expensive) to adventure through forests, deserts, tundras, and caves for months or years. Its been possible for pretty much ever, the problem is the expense of it is often so much that it takes a government to fund it.

If you mean going out and killing monsters while trying to topple some ancient menace, then no, not really. You could take your guns over to Africa and try to topple whatever tyrant you can find, but youre almost guaranteed to die in the first firefight. This applied just as much in the olden days, if not more with their medicinal practices.
>>
>>43908828
That's why you should get a party, anon.
1-on-1 TRPGs suck ass anyways.
>>
>>43908828
>inb4 [presidential candidate of your choice]
>>
File: 9ol9v8b.jpg (401 KB, 1744x1227) Image search: [Google]
9ol9v8b.jpg
401 KB, 1744x1227
>>
>>43908724
>join the army
>save money
>make friends
>get gear and move to a shitty third world nation
>become an adventurer
>return once you've leveled up and topple your government through terrorist attacks
>>
>>43908808
Like, the literal Age of Heroes ended after the Trojan War. At best, you could call Aeneas the last hero, but that still puts it at so far into the past that it was myth even in the BC's.
>>
>>43908724

What are you talking about OP? Adventure is alive and well.

It's just that it more often than not involves the great outdoors,

Treasure is rare to non-existent,

And there's an absence of decent tavern wenches.
>>
>>43912341
We need proper taverns.
>>
>>43912403
>>43912341
SJWs won't let us have good taverns or good wenches. I say we secede to that nation on the oil rigging platform.
>>
>>43908840
>Its still possible (if expensive) to adventure through forests, deserts, tundras, and caves for months or years. Its been possible for pretty much ever, the problem is the expense of it is often so much that it takes a government to fund it.

Those places have some of the poorest people in the world living in them. You don't need money to find adventure; being desperately under-equipped in a dangerous environment is what adventure is all about.
>>
>>43912424
Fuck off back to /pol/ shitlord.
>>
File: 1446411101609.jpg (56 KB, 500x460) Image search: [Google]
1446411101609.jpg
56 KB, 500x460
>>43912462
>>
No. It's impossible to have anything interesting happen to human beings without magical powers, especially in a world without fantastic monsters. Haven't you been paying attention to /tg/? Realism is always shit and reality is boring. It's perfectly forgiveable to live a tedious life of zero achievement because that's literally all that's possible when you aren't a catfolk wizard or something.
>>
File: 1448286430197.jpg (66 KB, 500x527) Image search: [Google]
1448286430197.jpg
66 KB, 500x527
>>43912511
yeah, thanks for reminding e faggotron
>>
>>43908724
Yes.

I live in what most of you would think is a third world shithole and am having a fantastic time of it.
>>
>>43912688
jihadin detected
>>
>>43912732
White guy working in Zambia for a bit actually. I'm British by birth.
>>
>>43912403
Or pubs. Pubs are close enough to taverns, but burgerland has more in the way of bars that aren't as cozy.
>>
>>43908724
http://www.theadventurists.com/mongol-rally/

Mongol Rally.

To paraphrase their words, take a "small, shit car" from various locations in Southern England, to the capital of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar. This coming rally it's 4000 miles north, in Siberia, in the town of Ulan Ude.

Apparently, they feel that it is physically possible to make that in "a day" although given the terrain and the cars involved and you know, Mongolia/Siberia, that would be impressive.

Everything in the middle you figure out.

There are of course, some routes that are somewhat saner, but again, it's your deal to figure out pretty much everything.

It's like doing your own Indie Top Gear Special, but without BBC babysitting you.

And you know, across the entire Eurasian landmass.

In something like a VW Rabbit or a Trabant.
>>
I went on a pretty good adventure a few years back in the South Pacific.

I think it doesn't matter about your location though. What matters is what you want to do.
>>
>>43908724
Not today. Heroics only happen with through the lens of the past, so give it a couple hundred years.
>>
>>43913041
Oh my God.
This is it.
I have to do this.
>>
>>43914481
Have a little under a year to raise enough money and set your affairs in order. Get to it Anon!
>>
File: The Third World Ends With You.jpg (85 KB, 964x640) Image search: [Google]
The Third World Ends With You.jpg
85 KB, 964x640
Not even a /pol/tard but Africa, The Rural Middle East, and Eastern Europe have you covered
>>
>>43914675
Gonna wait until the next one. Save up supplies, get a partner, learn to fix a car, pick up some language skills.
But I promise this to you and my own pride.

TEAM 4CHAN! MONGOL RALLY 2017!
Captcha wanted mountains. Captcha has blessed us.
>>
>>43908724
Define "adventure".
>>
>>43908724
Go find Genghis Khan's tomb or the undiscovered tomb of any ruler for that matter.

>>43914760
captcha wanted mountains for the Khan too. Coincedence?
>>
Get hired by a Cultural Resources Management firm. They're mercenary anthropologists and archaeologists that get hired to do digs and other forms of exploration, in short, hard, satisfying work outdoors uncovering ancient secrets.

Trying to do that shit as an amateur will net you fines up the ass, and for good reason – you guys are more liable to do more harm than good, not only to physical artifacts but in terms of necessary bookkeeping (*exact* location, depth, stratigraphical layer, context to other artifacts and ecofacts, etc., all done to the level that others can use your notes half a century later and still know everything you did).
>>
>>43908724
You want an adventure OP?
Pack only what you can carry and leave in your car for the opposite side of whatever continent you're on. Don't use hotels, either sleep in your car or in a tent. You'll inevitably run out of money and get so desperate that you'd suck a dick for a mcdonalds cheeseburger. Get involved in a little of the local crime. Get friendly with the local homeless. Get an unregistered gun from somewhere, maybe beat a lone ganger to death or steal it out of some rednecks truck. Hold up a liquor store at least once for the experience. Now comes the decision making. Want to be the badguy? Start doing some crime, maybe mule some coke around town or beat some prostitutes and their pimps for cash, or you can go vigilante and start surprise gunning down the local drug element and taking their shit.

By the end of all of this you'll either be dead, in jail or extremely lucky. Either way, you'll be someone entirely different from when you started your journey, and you'll have a hell of a story to tell the grandkids, because if you made it that far, you won't be afraid to talk to girls anymore and be a contributing member of the breeding population.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.