[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So you're about to head out into the wasteland to make your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60
File: Fallout4Dogmeat-610.jpg (273 KB, 610x345) Image search: [Google]
Fallout4Dogmeat-610.jpg
273 KB, 610x345
So you're about to head out into the wasteland to make your fortune, and you can take a canine companion with you. Which breed do you choose?
>>
Mixed breed.

Don't have to deal with deformities or genetic disorders due to inbreeding.
>>
File: Swedish-Vallhund-Dog.jpg (69 KB, 703x639) Image search: [Google]
Swedish-Vallhund-Dog.jpg
69 KB, 703x639
A swedish vallhund.
>>
File: White-Akita-Inu.jpg (453 KB, 1280x1174) Image search: [Google]
White-Akita-Inu.jpg
453 KB, 1280x1174
>>43905482
Akita, fuckers were made to hunt bears and they have violence written in their blood, they are killing machines that you have to train to be near other dogs. Its the apocalypse, I need something to fuck people's shit up.
>>
File: goanna_narrowweb__300x509,0.jpg (39 KB, 300x509) Image search: [Google]
goanna_narrowweb__300x509,0.jpg
39 KB, 300x509
The Oz postwar is no place for a pooch, Now a Goanna that'll keep the super abbos away.
>>
>>43905613
>that fluffy lil fella
>violent killing machine

Say it ain't so!
>>
>>43905527

*tips fedora*

GOTTA GET DAT DUR HYBRID VIGOR
>>
>>43905635
Look into its eyes long enough and you'll gaze into the realm of Khorne.

But really Akitas are a violent breed made for violence, train them well and its a great dog but dont and it will kill other dogs as if they were sport. I had a neighbor once that had one and it killed every other dog it encountered, I even heard it drowned a small dog in a puddle of mud.
>>
>>43905732
That's pretty fucking brutal.
>>
>>43905482
>[B] You're a mutt.
>>
File: tibetan-mastiff3.jpg (88 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
tibetan-mastiff3.jpg
88 KB, 640x480
>>43905482
Tibetan mastiff, or better yet just get a pet yao guai.

honestly not much of a difference
>>
File: dog3n-1-web.jpg (102 KB, 970x1413) Image search: [Google]
dog3n-1-web.jpg
102 KB, 970x1413
I've always had a soft spot for Dobermans, and they'd do quite well as companions in the post apocalypse I think.

That or the Dogo Argentino. I had a neighbour with one and holy shit that was the strongest dog I've ever seen in my life.
>>
File: Rex_cyberdog.jpg (314 KB, 1040x780) Image search: [Google]
Rex_cyberdog.jpg
314 KB, 1040x780
>>43905616
What about a cyberdog? According to the Fallout wiki there were military versions (in addition to the civilian and police ones) available that were equipped with a sonic bark attack capable of knocking down someone as powerful at the Courier. Not to mention the ability to heal/repair itself.

Would one of those do? I reckon the sonic bark alone would frighten any negroes away.
>>
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 635x427) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 635x427
Belgian malinois. So badass the seals chose it over the german shepherd for its adaptability and size favoring rappelling and parachute jumps. Same basic stats as the german shepherd but higher intellect and can be trained to be a guard dog, attack dog, and be around people safely all at once, something the shepherd had a very hard time with. It also has no major genetic problems like the german shepherd does along with low maintenance in general. High energy but is reserved so you don't have to play with it 24/7 like you do a german shepherd. Only real problem is its not a friendly kind of social but more of a cat level social, it tends to stay near the owner or off to the side watching everything carefully. Its also highly adaptable to environmental changes such as bright flashes, loud noises, and falling objects which the german shepherd had troubles with and caused lashing out. Theres talk of police k-9 units picking them up for these reasons. Side bit they also tend towards large litters ranging from 6-10 pups so breeding an effective army shouldn't take more than 4 years.
>>
>>43905931
If you can find a steady supply of dog brains for it and keep up major maintenance (only the organic bits heal) I wouldn't see why not.
>>
>>43905482
Your mom
>>
>>43905818
Excellent taste, anon.
except it'll die in the radioactive heat.
>>
>>43906143
Nuclear winter.
>>
>>43905818
Ah, you beat me to it, and even used the exact picture I was going for.
>>
>>43905482
Pug. Because what could possibly can go wrong?
>>
>>43905482
Maine Coon.
>>
>>43905673
Dogs usually have specific deformities and diseases due to the section they weny through. A mix of a few strong breeds would be ideal.
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 248x203) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 248x203
>>43905818
Not quite as scary without the hair
>>
>>43905673
Not that guy but

Despite what the Kennel Club might tell you pure bred is really just another word for inbred.

Having a mongrel is not grantee of a healthier specimen it just reduced the possibility of getting fuckups associated with distinct breeds.

Also this has nothing to do with fedoras.

Or were you just pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>43905818
I like the idea, but do you have any idea how many raiders you have to feed this thing every single day?
>>
File: rejected.jpg (50 KB, 620x417) Image search: [Google]
rejected.jpg
50 KB, 620x417
>>43906106
>So badass the seals chose it
And as we all know, the seals are very picky, so it has to be good
>>
File: border-collie-8.jpg (3 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
border-collie-8.jpg
3 MB, 3456x2304
I'd source a Border Collie, they're a compact, energetic dog built to do work. They're fiercely smart, they take to training and communication very well, and their instinct for herding gives them good judgement and temperament. Since the breed is maintained for working rather than fancy, their development hasn't been compromised.

I'm from an Irish farming family that's always had a crew of these dogs. Boggles my mind sometimes how aware they are and how they figure things out. It's funny whenever there's a gathering of the clan and seeing the dogs herd the kids.
>>
>>43906313
Like a raider a day and the wastes are full of them.
>>
>>43906327
I had a border collie as a kid and it was so cute when she'd herd me and my sister
>>
>>43905555
"Vallhund" means "sheep dog" and isn't a breed at all.
>>
>>43906123
The dog brains thing isn't really an issue.

Rex was made pre war and as far as we know that was the first replacement brain he needed. So 200 years per brain is pretty fucking excellent. But yeah mechanical parts are going to be a bit tricky depending on where you are.
>>
File: ovcharka.jpg (75 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
ovcharka.jpg
75 KB, 640x478
Caucasian ovcharka. Can and will bite a wolf in half. The only drawback is that it will probably kill anyone who isn't you.

And if you don't feed it for a while, it might decide that you're starting to look tasty.
>>
>>43906393
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

That is not a dog. That's a bear with a hair cut.

Raider problems and feeding problems form a beautiful solution to each other.
>>
File: Scrapper+Gendos.png (1 MB, 1073x745) Image search: [Google]
Scrapper+Gendos.png
1 MB, 1073x745
A Gendo, the descendants of the gene-modified guard dogs that were utilized by the Recombination Group to guard their facilities and bunkers
>>
>>43906327
I have an Aussie/Border mix. Way too smart for her own good and never. stops. moving.
>>
>>43906350
No, vallhund translates to "herding dog" and the Swedish Vallhund, aka Västgötaspets, is a breed.
>>
>>43905482
Golden Retriever.
>>
>>43905482
A psychic sheep dog that can sniff out girls.
>>
>>43906537
*ovulating girls

Gotta repopulate the earth n shit
>>
>>43906371
It was stated somewhere the bodies immortal being kept alive via machine but the brains age like any other. Max dog life with an intact brain is like 20 something years.
>>
>>43905482
mutt all the way. Most natural form of dog. mutt dog best dog
>>
>>43906303
It does have quite a lot to do with fedoras actually. Nonsense about purebred dogs being supposedly somehow deformed is spread by idiots with no knowledge about the subject and pretensions of 'scientific' just because they heard it somewhere. It's pretty damn fedora to me.
>>
>>43906490
My nigga
>>
I'd just bring a pit. Why? Because I love pits. If I'm going to be in the wastes, might as well have a dog I like. That jaw strength too.
>>
>>43906602
Mate, i dont know what science you are talking about but im a biologist. Pure breed dogs are just mutts that have been breed for very specific characteristics. Unless you have working dogs that undergo natural selection, your so-oh-pure dog? Is a deformed monstrosity that would not survive in the wild for more then two weeks. Just look at the boxer or corgi. You do know that cannel clubs dont allow mutt strains into the genetic pool of their dogs meaning that they are indeed inbreed as fuck?
>>
File: 1422477546252.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1422477546252.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>>43906645
>i know more about the subject than people who did it for millenia. I'm so enlightened!
Take a good, long look at you, dipshit. This is how you look in in the mirror.
>>
>>43906645
Non-biologist here, what's wrong with corgis and boxers?
>>
>>43906673
Nothing, he just repeats what some retard on the tv said.
>>
>>43906602
>Nonsense about purebred dogs being supposedly somehow deformed

Bruh when I bought a German Shepherd I had to specifically search for one with some other breed crossed in at some point in its ancestry so that the poor thing wouldn't have that horrendously sloped back and the resulting hip dysplasia.

Pugs and Bulldogs are well known for breathing problems because of their short faces.

Like nigga this is common knowledge.
>>
>>43906670
>I know more than every single modern expert because I have a folder of fedora images
The sheer amount of double-think required for you to post that shitty green text in regards to an actual biologist is fucking astounding.
Are you just being incredibly defensive of pure bred dogs because you don't want to admit your dog has a metric fuck ton of problems because you insisted on spending $2000 on something everyone assured you was better?
>>
>>43905482
Husky of course. Intelligent and easy to both train and lead and insane endurance for hunting and traveling.

Y'all picking big ass dogs that aren't actually meant for semi-nomadic survival in a wasteland.

Meanwhile, mine is carrying and guarding shit for me while I take care of killing raiders and whatnot because why the fuck would I make that my dog's job?

And he won't die from exhaustion or heat or have to be left behind or get shot by some asshole.
>>
I know I'm gonna be in the minority but I'd take my dog. He's a whippet x chihuahua and he's the perfect size for a ratter/rabbit dog. Can and has squeezed his way through rabbit (and bilbi) holes, is ferocious as fuck and never backs down from a fight and is energetic but without the ridiculous food worries. Able to scare out prey for hunting and makes a great diversion dog for bigger targets.
>>
>>43906707
>I know more than every single modern expert
What experts? Show me a single dog breeding expert who says something like this. I'll wait.
>>
>>43905818
Hello Mouse.
>>
Anatolian Shepherd. There's a level of independent thought in there that makes them a bit harder to train, but much more survivable and dependable if you put the effort in.
>>
>>43906670
>Millenia
Pure dog breeds are not all that old, aside from working dogs they started around the XIX century. They very based around the idea of picking very specific phenotypic characteristic. To get the effects you need to drastically lower the gene pool so that when breeding dogs you will have the maximum chance of getting a dog with lets say long legs, short fur and big eyes. This means that the possible combination of genes are much much smaller, and the "breed" is more likely to succumb to certain desises/genetic mutations. Moreover because of the process of inbreeding among dogs, you wont have a fresh set of genes that might eliminate those genetic problems. This means that all problems wont be delt with in future generations, they will only grow stronger. If a dog breed X had a week back 60 years ago, it will still have a week back now, and it will be much weaker than it was back then

It's not beaing "enlightened", it's understending the basic concept of genetics
>>
>>43906673
http://www.allboxerinfo.com/boxer-dog-health-problems
>>
>>43906727
>dog breeding expert
You mean the people who profit off the idea of purebreds and are literally the only people keeping that myth alive? They're as impartial as BP is on global warming.
Any modern biologist agrees that the constant inbreeding has caused numerous health defects because of course it fucking does, you're breeding a dog with it's dad so you can make it smaller.
Here, have some actual fucking science from actual fucking scientists.
http://ic.upei.ca/cidd/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1950109/
>>
>>43906303
Or you get all the defects of both breeds at once. With proper breeding there is nothing wrong with purebred dogs, its the morons who breed them for aesthetics and dog shows or back garden puppy mills that are the problem.

Also the self righteous twats who harp on about mutts never seem to think that some people might actually need a dog for a reason so will want a breed designed for that purpose.
>>
>>43906710
>easy to train

Have you never met a husky in your life, they are harder to deal with than most breeds people normally own.
>>
>>43906763
No one who knows their shit will tell you that a working dogs have a the same problems as "pure-breeds", thouse dogs undergo selection and every few generation they will be breed outside of their breed to make shure that the genetic makeup is fine. Plus a lot of working dogs tend to go natural selection one way or the other
>>
>>43906602
So pugs are able to give birth without a csection?

Brachycephalic dogs don't die from heat stroke far easier than any other breed?

Great danes dont live short lives with arthritis being inevitable, hip dysplacia common and gastric torsion a constant theat?
>>
It would be nice if you people stopped assuming someone who does not condemn all dog breeds by default agrees with pugs and others that have been left unhealthy for purely aesthetic reasons.

>>43906784
Point is a huge number of people give you shit for doing anything other than adopting mutts from shelters. And think ALL breeds are by default unhealthy and you are a bad person for even daring to want a specific set of traits. Even if its not an inbred pity case.
>>
Rottweiler-German Shepherd mix. I raised a litter of them as a kid and would only substitute them for a Greyhound-Kelpie.

The Rottman Shepherds are large, powerful and have an astounding pack bond with anyone they spend time with. During a home invasion when I was 7, two brothers from the litter took a door off the hinges when they heard my sister and I in distress.

The Kelpie Greyhound is lightning fast, a natural drover, an incredibly gifted jumper and seems custom built for solo-hunting. I've yet to see any animal, apart from a kangaroo, already in sprint, escape them. Their jumping ability is so great, they can be trained to leap and collect fruit from trees, jump fences and navigate tall natural obstacles.

If alone, I'd take a Kelpie Greyhound, if in a group, a Rottman.
>>
>>43906837
ech i guess your right, i always adopt from shelters but i dont need a dog for other reasons than having a dog. The problem i see is that a lot of people dont understand how dogs are breed and how (in my opinion) 90% of such practice should be abnadoned. There is the idea that all pure-breed dogs are somehow healthier and better than mutts, dogs in their natural state, which i tend to get kind of annoyed at
>>
>>43906837
>It would be nice if you people stopped assuming someone who does not condemn all dog breeds by default

Bruh you're the one who started posting fedora images and greentexting >hybrid vigor with no further context.
>>
>>43906782
Only because people suck at training their dogs. Or keep them cooped up and isolated, resulting in them getting bored and pissy.

But yeah, on reflection most people don't actually know how to train dog but this is for me, not them.

They're smart dogs, so if you know what you're doing it's fantastic. If you don't, they'll run metaphorical circles as well as literal circles around you
>>
>>43906713
This seems well thought out actually.
>>
>>43906710
How's the Husky's hunting ability? I've never taken one hunting, but watching them chase rodents, they seem to treat it too much as play.
>>
>>43906876
Different person genius.

>>43906858
>There is the idea that all pure-breed dogs are somehow healthier and better than mutts, dogs in their natural state

I have never heard a single person express something even close to this.
>>
>>43906730
My nigger
>>
>>43906713
That's not a bad idea. Going to be plenty of small scavenger animals for hunting and trapping with a dog like that.
>>
>>43906901
you are one lucky man anon
>>
File: 1417981400904.gif (341 KB, 245x118) Image search: [Google]
1417981400904.gif
341 KB, 245x118
>>43906126
Ohhhhhhhhh
>>
Blue Heeler. Had one on the farm as a kid. Two actually but one was a cunt so fuck that guy. The other one was really sweet though. So I'd take a heeler for muh feels.
>>
File: images-13.jpg (7 KB, 211x239) Image search: [Google]
images-13.jpg
7 KB, 211x239
>>43906990
Forgot image
>>
>>43906710
>hunting ability, easy to train, won't overheat
You've never owned a husky have you? They are absolute bastards to train, they hunt as if they're playing which means they don't take it seriously and the hunt suffers, they're thick coats specifically developed for colder climates means they overheat all the time unless you shave them down, especially their mane. Not to mentioned their health problems such as autoimmune diseases,eye diseases, deafness, and hip problems. They also require constant and cositenr leadership or they'll wander off and never come back.
>>
File: 1431227236770.png (602 KB, 963x720) Image search: [Google]
1431227236770.png
602 KB, 963x720
>>43906453
What setting are you talking about? I googled the Recombination Group and Gendo, but all I got was some real life genetic science company and a bunch of forum threads about Evangelion.
>>
>>43906553
Its going to be rather difficult to repopulate to earth if you keep eating them[/spoiler every time they try to make you choose between them and your battle buddy.
>>
File: IMG_0982.jpg (276 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0982.jpg
276 KB, 2048x1536
>>43906990
>>43907004
Best dogs the blues <3
>>
File: 5252es.jpg (10 KB, 245x206) Image search: [Google]
5252es.jpg
10 KB, 245x206
>No one picked ghoul chihuahua.
I'm so disapointed in you /tg/..
>>
>>43905673
Did something trigger you, son?
>>
Doberman, Originally bred to protect tax collectors.
>>
Probably none. I have rightly no idea how to care for a dog, never had the home space to keep one. Why subject the poor thing to my blundering?

Now, if there were combat-ready hamsters, I could handle one of those. Rodents seem to like me for some reason.
>>
>>43906327
This, as far as i can see, is the only answer. I had one of those till she was 18, and she was still as spry and fast as she was when she was a pup.
>>
File: Riddick's puppy.jpg (338 KB, 1400x788) Image search: [Google]
Riddick's puppy.jpg
338 KB, 1400x788
>>
>>43906920
>>43906882
That was my thoughts. Thanks for the kind words. It's just a shame he's 14 and starting to get a little old
>>
>>43906302
Is that a llama?
>>
>>43906327
I have a 3/4 Border Collie, 1/4 Patou, fucker is really smart.
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 634x448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 634x448
>>43907476
>Rodents seem to like me for some reason.
Do i have the pet for you!
Its called a capybara and is a VERY close relative to guinea pigs. Easily trainable and if it disappoints you you can eat it. Its considered a delicacy. Its relatively easy to train and its not hard to teach it to run up and bite and to associate treats with blood. They end up being around the same height as a german shepherd (24-26" at the withers) but can reach around 140lbs. Sharp teeth that need constant chewing like most rodents as well.
>>
>>43906837
If you need a dog for work, by all means, look for specific traits. But adopting from shelters for pets really is the way to go for all other non work use cases.
>>
>>43907752
Well, you still have to look for traits when adopting. Make sure the dog is good with kids/other dogs if you have 'em, house-trained, healthy, etc. But rescue dogs can be great dogs.
I miss my rescue dog.
>>
I'm I the only one that wants to
A) acquire powerarmor
B) use that to kill mother deathclaw
C) attach mother deathclaw's skinned remains to powerarmor
D) raise/train deathclaw babies as my own
E) rule the waste land with my deathclaw babies
and if I had to pick a dog I would pick some kind of medium sized dog to use as a tracker/watch dog so something between german sheperd to blood hound
>>
>>43906602
>>43906670

You are a fucking retard. A large number of dog breeds have health issues that are the result of selective breeding that only cared for looks rather than overall health.

There are dog breeds with joint problems, respiratory or reproductive illnesses or who are prone to heart disease.

These conditions are generally caused by genes need to be inherited from both parents in order to show up.

When you crossbreed you get rid of tons of recessive traits with adverse health effects.
>>
>>43907816
Deathclaws kill their parents and siblings to inherit territory when they feel they're big enough.
>>
I'd take a giant rabbit. Things are adorable and they are constantly looking out for threats. It'd be nice to have a personal alarm clock for when a raider is sneaking up on me. Also +1 CHA for the fluffy buddy.
>>
>>43906763
>Or you get all the defects of both breeds at once.

No.

Most harmful mutations in an organism are caused by recessive traits. Simply put, this means that the trait only shows up if both parents have it.

The reasons purebred dogs have all these harmful traits is that they've been bred over and over with other individuals of the same breed who also have the trait, meaning it gets passed on to the pups. When you crossbreed, the recessive traits get overruled by dominant traits.

So in general, you don't get the health problems of both breeds, you get the good stuff.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 309x463) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 309x463
>>43907905
Forgot image. Those big ass ears have got to give it like +16 to all listen and spot checks.
>>
>>43905613
I lived several years with a roommate who had an akita. He wasn't a good trainer, so his dog would be violent towards others. But god damn, that size and deep voice is enough to scare away most people.
>>
>>43905673
/pol/ needs trigger warnings, they are even more sensitive than tumblr.
The fact of the matter is that pure breeds are highly inbred hence them being heavily predisposed to various diseases and health problems across their breeds (bloat, hip dysplasia, etc.) Mutts are less prone to these as they aren't as inbred, especially mongrels whose ancestors on both sides are mongrels. The average purebred is about as inbred as a family from rural Appalachia or the Hapsburgs.
>>
>>43906713
I was actually thinking along the same lines, a bigass dog is obviously going to be better for defense or hunting larger things, but realistically it's going to be a massive food sink.

A smaller ratting dog like a terrier is perfect for hunting the kind of animals that are actually going to be plentiful in the ruins of civilization´, and way easier to move around. Like, what are you going to do with a 90lb husky if you need to climb up the side of an old building or whatever? Get a dog that fits in a backpack or that you can throw at least 10 feet.
>>
File: Joanna.gif (922 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
Joanna.gif
922 KB, 500x300
>>43905616
not a trustworthy companion tho.
>>
>>43907953
>/pol/ needs trigger warnings
for a while they did.
>>
>>43907918
Careful, he might fedora you for mentioning hybrid vigour.
>>
>>43905482
Scottish Terrier. Never sheds, good for hunting varmints and getting into small spaces, pretty clever, easy to train.
>>
My breed of choice would be the Border Collie. Smart and fast.

My friends and I are actually about to start a Fallout game, in which I'm playing a lonely gen 1 Super Mutant. The only appropriate companion for such a big, ugly guy is a Boxer or a Mastiff. Or a Shih Tzu for instant comedy.
>>
File: goanna.gif (8 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
goanna.gif
8 MB, 720x405
>>43905616
>trusting goannas
>>
>>43907953
>/pol/ needs trigger warnings

They had them, fucking newfag.
>>
>>43908017
Do you have ANY idea how much booze a scottish ANYTHING is going to need to function properly?
>>
>>43905482
A Chihuahua/wolf mutt, just to see what this abomination would look like.
>>
>>43908171
I don't know what would be more pathetic.
The wolf on top or the wolf on bottom.
>>
File: Kraški Ovčar.jpg (296 KB, 1280x851) Image search: [Google]
Kraški Ovčar.jpg
296 KB, 1280x851
A Karst Sheperd.
Great dogs, but there is enough old blood in them that they can fuck shit up.
>>
>>43908240
Or just, you know, a turkey baster filled with the collected semen of 1,000 chihuahuas inserted into the wolf.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 250x247
>>43905482
>high charisma, high barter
>>
>>43908313
>Low strength, low endurance
>>
>>43908272
>old blood
Eh?
>>
>>43908330
Kept from breeding with other evolutionary bottleneck purebreds. They're not terribly far removed from early domesticated dogs and still have a fair amount of genetic diversity.
>>
>>43908330
Not sure its the correct term he used but its something like 8 or so and under gens till finished product from wolf or some such. Generally breeds bigger, stronger, more intelligent dogs.
>>
>>43908287
>Behold, the ÜBERWOLF
>Within her contains the genetic material of a thousand chihuahuas!
>>
>>43908330
Most likely not the correct term, but they are not that far removed from wolves or whatever. And because they are our only autochthonous dogs, all breeding is regulated and thought out.
So they aren't that fucked genetically and once their instincts take over, they can rip and tear animals apart.
>>
>>43906763
>morons who breed them for aesthetics and dog shows
You mean the people who literally are the only ones who get to define what qualifies as the pure breed?
>>
>>43906602
>>43906602
Uuh ask an actual veterinarian fag?
Even in human specific races have specific problems that are more widespread among them.
In the dogs' case it's way worse because they were artificially selected through inbreeding.

Like no seriously, just ask a veterinarian.
>>
>>43906763
You do know that practical breeds such as german shepards and border collies are also predisposed to certain diseases and deformities right?

Are you actually retarded or just pretending?
>>
>>43908031
>Or a Shih Tzu for instant comedy.
Oh dear lord. The whole game would be nothing but doge-ing.
I'd play
>>
>>43908952
Shiba Inu mod when?
>>
>>43907174
I live northern Canada, so this seems pretty alright to me.

I never said shit about overheating.

And honestly, by the time health issues become a problem I'll have either gotten more dogs, or eaten it from hunger..

Anyways, their hunting drive is fine for chasing small game and you should be trapping anyways, or scavenging given how fucking radioactive shit is.

Hell, I wonder if YOU have ever owned a Husky before or if you're just going off of wikipedia . I've never had a problem training them or having them be obedient. Maybe you shouldn't try to keep high energy and intelligent animals in your mother's basement?
>>
>>43905482
The breed doesn't matter as long as it's not too small to defend itself, not so big it won't be able to keep out of sight, and well-trained in being a fighting dog.

Given their history with police and military it'll likely be at least part German Shepherd for that reason. A mix that doesn't have a high risk for hip dysplasia would probably be best.
>>
>>43907816
No. You go find a mysteriously huge robed dude with a strangely lizard-y voice, let him join your party, and then shit yourself the first time you get in to combat.
>>
>>43906602
>veterinarians, biologists, scientific surveys and their ilk all agree that purebreeding is a negative factor in canine health
>breeders who sell purebreeds and the people they've shilled into thinking it's worth $2000+ to buy a pup that's intentionally inbred and crippled are the only people who disagree
Kay. Waiting for your proof that purebreeds are healthier than mutts.
>>
>>43906602
>breeding dogs with direct littermates will never result in genetic damage, what are you talking about anon

Are you a similar product of incest, anon?
>>
>>43909026
what is this? 1998?
>>
>>43907221
is it bad that I got that reference?
>>
File: km.jpg (18 KB, 347x346) Image search: [Google]
km.jpg
18 KB, 347x346
>>43905613
>>
>>43909084
Hey, the first time he ripped off that robe, I shat a brick. Don't tell me you didn't. If New Vegas could get away with having the descendants of the major characters from 2 (and, y'know, Marcus), they could throw Goris in there someplace.
>>
>>43906327
Border Collie/German Shepard cross here.

She's the smartest thing. Learnt to open the back door by jumping up on the handle with her front paws.

I don't want her to die
>>
>>43909160
It fucking hurts, man. I've been there too.
>>
>>43907705
>I now know I am to become king of the battle-rats...

>>43907449
really?
neat.

>>43907969
>or that you can throw at least 10 feet.
Pocket Dog, more powerful than Pocket Sand

>>43908330
>>43908367
>>43908580
makes me think of Bloodborne
>>
>>43906566
Yet it's directly stated that the brain Rex had that needed replacing was his original. As in, the same one he had had since 2077.
>>
probably a smaller dog that doesn't need much food and can feed it'self, run away from danger at speed, alert me, and be smart enough to take commands.

Fox terrier type maybe.
>>
>>43909160
My Lab/rottweiler is 14 right now. He hasn't been able to walk more than a kilometre for a few years now.
>>
>>43905527
This.

Tibetan Mastiff + Rottweiler

Because fuck you and your shit. This dog is going to be large enough to ride into battle!
>>
>>43909290
Labs have hips that are fucking annihilated from years of inbreeding. Ask literally any veterinarian. Mine's the same way, can barely walk and she's only 8.

The Newfoundlands they descended from are tougher, but they very nearly don't exist anymore (highly specific dietary requirements, IIRC).
>>
>>43908952
A big, quiet, irritable Mutant combing the wasteland for relics, with a tiny, likely retarded little doglet at his side.
>>
File: approval face.gif (3 MB, 186x190) Image search: [Google]
approval face.gif
3 MB, 186x190
>>43905844
Mah fucking nigga.

My grandpa had an old Doberman. He was the nicest guy. Let 6 year old faggot babby me do weird shit to him like stick my fingers up his nose.

But damn this one time the neighbor's dog went to our lawn and like peed on his territory or something. He just sprung out and bit the fucker in the neck. He had an unbreakable grip on the little dude for a long time.

The tiny dog survived the ordeal thank God, but it was really cool seeing the violent dominant side of our Tyson. RIP in Peace old boy.
>>
>>43909330
His hips got bad when he was 10 and got better with some medicine he took for about a year. He still gets sore in winter though.
>>
>>43907925
Larger rabbits tend to be more mellow than their smaller cousins. On account of being able to kick like a motherfucker and has a powerful jaw fitted with huge chisels at the front.
>>
>>43909542
Had two dobermans myself. First one was the most docile dog I've ever met, drolled non-stop. Used to greet people by just walking directly into their crotch, holding his head there and leaving hard-to-explain white marks. Was terrified of any other dog and would run away if he saw one.

My second one was huge and perma-aggressive to everyone outside of the family, especially other dogs. Between the two, I've had 13 years of not being able to walk my dog near other dogs, but damn if the house isn't protected when your animal's bark is like a war-cry from a primal god of battle.
>>
File: staff.jpg (500 KB, 1794x1341) Image search: [Google]
staff.jpg
500 KB, 1794x1341
As a britfag I feel obliged to take the ever popular and grand Staffordshire Terrier.

They're dumb as bricks but by god are they fucking loyal and loving, they're like ogres of the dog world.
And dat bite-lock.
>>
>>43908990
>And he won't die from exhaustion or heat or have to be left behind or get shot by some asshole.
You said it right there. Hell run them for an hour in the snow and they overheat. They're underfur is so dense they don't even feel the damn cold.
>>
>>43907925
That guy is like "Mein Gott, what have I done?"
>>
>>43909946
"What monster are thee"
>>
>>43909855

>Bite lock
A myth
>Dumb as bricks
Actually on the higher end of the spectrum, 34/79

Learn your brreds, m8
>>
>>43910012
Nah, they dumb braw, they dumb.
>>
>>43906393
Oh my fucking God, I want one. Allergies be damned.
>>
>>43910133
Doubtful you or anyone other than semirich and up could afford it. Food alone aside, vet bills go up the bigger the animal, i hear its also a good idea to keep them groomed so their hair doesn't make them overheat due to size so thats a weekly grooming visit for trims, specialized equipment such as a harness (a dog that size on a collar would break its trachea leaning into things so a harness is the only real humane thing to do) that aren't made in sizes for that. Hell buying one alone costs $2500-4000.
>>
>>43906745
My research adviser is a Middle East religion PHD.

Those dogs are huge, vicious, and very territorial. More reliable than a gun at keeping people off your land. Don't know about capacity for training though.
>>
>>43910613
Worth.
>>
A Great White American.

They're territorial as fuck, will attack random countries and can hold guns.
>>
>>43907953
The Habsburgs weren't even that inbred in the Austrian line, their family simply was cursed with a fuck ugly mug.
>>
>>43908843
I heard it's even worse in bee breeding. All the domesticated bees come from people who breed queens for beauty pageants and they have consequently deplented the species' genetic stock.
>>
>>43911240
They're kinda prone to obesity, though, aren't they?
>>
>>43911362
>comparing insect reproduction to mammal reproduction as the same thing
Wow, I didn't know you could fail biology that hard.
>>
>>43906602
>>43906670
>>43906680
Are you retarded? You do understand how dogs work right. Now one should say that many dog breeds are stable, but breeding the same characteristics in dogs for years on end is why my sweet golden retriever will die of horrible cancer.
>>
>>43905616
Man, postwar Goannas are probably the size of polar bears and covered spikes.
Like slurpasaurs
>>
>>43907687
Indeed or perhaps an alpacacacaca
>>
>>43907969
well yeah but in all honesty when have you ever had difficulty finding game in the fallout wastes? animals and meat are fucking plentiful if slightly radioactive. Take whatever dog you want.
>>
>>43908272
I swear the second one on the left is pissing.
>>
File: understand.jpg (49 KB, 607x455) Image search: [Google]
understand.jpg
49 KB, 607x455
>>43905482
>>
>>43909127
Avellone's a git who said the Talking Deathclaws are extinct.
>>
>Can I take a mutated golden retriever?
>Could the radiation give it's fur a soft red glow
>Could it have also made the dog much, much larger
>>
File: image.jpg (445 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
445 KB, 1920x1080
Cat.
>>
File: isquiddgt.png (348 KB, 586x586) Image search: [Google]
isquiddgt.png
348 KB, 586x586
>>43912029
>implying cats aren't useless pets
>implying they aren't pretty much hissing rations
>>
>>43912061
They capture small animals and give you them. That's pretty useful. They also can keep you warm ant night and give a bonus to charisma when dealing with chicks!
>>
>>43912061
>>43912029
in a situation where rats are the size of your arm, i think guard dogs are a better ratter than a cat.
>>
>>43912022
Yes to the first no to the others. If you want a big dog however a proven method is take a pup and feed it a steady every increasing diet of jet and buffout.
>>
>>43912102
>and give a bonus to charisma when dealing with chicks!
Noooo. Puppies give charisma checks. Dogs make them trust you more. A single man with a cat gives negative charisma bonuses per car owned exponentially.
>>
>>43911488
You realize that we have been artificially inseminating bees since the 40s, right?
>>
File: capybara-basic-w-ip.jpg (71 KB, 600x396) Image search: [Google]
capybara-basic-w-ip.jpg
71 KB, 600x396
>>43907705
>Easily trainable and if it disappoints you you can eat it.
>eat it.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 236x262) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 236x262
>>43905527

Australian Cattle Dog + German Shepherd. One half Mad Max, other half Fallout.
>>
None, I hate dogs and I really hate how Fallout 4 pushes that mutt on you.
>>
>>43906290

Isn't that a cat?
>>
Golden Retriever.
Mother fuckers are so suave they're the bards of dogs.
>>
>>43912753
Rabbits do the same thing, and no one has a problem eating those.
>>
File: DSC_0004.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0004.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
The mighty badger dog.
>>
File: Irish-Wolfhound-Image-4-Web.jpg (25 KB, 325x470) Image search: [Google]
Irish-Wolfhound-Image-4-Web.jpg
25 KB, 325x470
Tempted to go for Irish Wolfhounds. For reasons that should be obvious.
>>
I don't know much about dogs, but probably something soft-jawed that I could use for hunting, I feel like that'd be more useful than an attack dog that's going to end up getting shot by raiders.
>>
>>43905482
Caucasian Shepherd and Tibetan Mastiff mix.
The largest dog, built for taking down yao-guai and deathclaws.
>>
>>43906990
can't trust a blue cattle dog mate, thems is borne evil.
>>
>all these idiots picking giant dogs
>implying you will be able to feed yourself and that thing without you both suffering from shit nutrition
>implying it's hips will stay aligned past 4
>implying it won't die from a heart attack in 5 years anyways
>>
>>43912152
i didn't even think of this. this is the first fallout i've seen with them, and the common housecat should be all but extinct for having all their prey supplant them on the food chain.

at least make them the size of small mountain lions, or leopards.
>>
>>43905555
I was just about to post that. A childhood friend's family had one, and they're one of the few small dogs I like at all.
>>
>>43907482
Border Collies are so intelligent it's not funny. Also they can be quite viscious. My old Collie killed snakes, a small cassowary and really hurt a lot of other dogs. Admittedly none of that started till she had pups...
She ripped up the pups fathers face while pregnant, he waz lookin' at 'er food yo. Dawg dint do dat no 'gen.
>>
File: 1446190140748.jpg (501 KB, 2504x2116) Image search: [Google]
1446190140748.jpg
501 KB, 2504x2116
If it must be a dog, cyberdog
Otherwise i'll stick to cute robots
>>
>>43914375
where's the dicklazer?
>>
>>43914402
In its sheath
>>
>>43905527
That's not how it works. If both parent breeds share propensity for the same defects, a mixed breed might end up even worse. Mixed or pure doesn't matter as long as it's lineage has been responsibly bred.
>>
>>43905482
1/4 Husky, 1/4 Rhodesian, Ridgeback, 1/2 Border Collie

endurance, strength and big prey hunting ability, intelligence
>>
>>43906670

Even dog breeders know that being too selective will fuck dogs up. Shit, the fucking Siberians have to put wolf back into their dogs every few dog generations so they won't turn into droopy-eared, useless cowards.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uD1KVEOci4
A Rottweiler.
>>
>>43914136

It's Meeko from Skyrim?
>>
>>43913656
You're probably a bad person.
>>
>>43920156
I lost a friend to one of those damnable beasts as a young child. I've also gotten a nasty scar on my leg when a stray pitbull attacked me when I was about 16.

Every dog, I mean every dog that wasn't old or infirm I encounter will immediately attempt to harm me or otherwise threaten me.

Dogs hate me and I hate them.
>>
Kangal.
Strongest bite at roughly 750 pounds, significantly higher than a mastiff's 550, both of which are greater than a lion's.

It's shorthaired, so overheating is a nonissue.

Upwards weight of about 130, downwards of about 110. That's over a hundred pounds pulling on you with a bite that can crack bones and tear through flesh like butter. You WILL go down.

Give the dog armor, and it's not only a bit heavier to take you down, but it's now a lot harder to hurt it to get it to fuck off from biting your arm off.

Earlier breed of mastiff, so less inbred, and less genetic defects.

Can reach speeds of 30 fucking miles per hour. He will tear your throat out before you can scream.

They're also naturally protective and loyal. They will fuck up anyone who looks like a threat to you. Anyone who SMELLS like a threat. You can trust these dogs with your life.
>>
>>43906303
When you buy a puppy from a (good) breeder, you can an informed decision and choose a pup from healthy parents free from defect. When you pick up a mutt puppy from the shelter you have no idea what you are getting yourself into.

I will never adopt again. I keep 3 dogs at a time, I've had two farm dog mixes live past 15, I've had three purebred dogs live past 15, I've had four mixed breed shelter pups dead from cancer before the age of 10. I've paid $1800 to fix a 3 year old dog's knee defect, only for them to find inoperable bone cancer during the surgery.

No, I'll know the medical history of my next puppy's ancestors, thank you very much.
>>
>>43909036
No one can say that because of how statistics works, and how many idiots breed their golden retriever to it's brother because they want their kids to be able to raise puppies, but a selecting a pure bred dog from a reputable breeder lets you choose a dog with a documented family health history, and the right pure bred puppy will be more healthy than a random shelter mutt.

It's not about generalizations, it's about known factors vs unknown factors.
>>
>>43906934

I'm always happy to see the edit.
>>
>>43905613

Reminds me of Russia for some reason.
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 260x194
My settlement's root vegetables will be the safest in the land.
>>
File: bluenose.jpg (10 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
bluenose.jpg
10 KB, 425x282
Blue nose pitbull. Strong, tough, loyal, sweet as can be and will FUCK UP anyone that dares try to harm you.
>>
>>43907953
Mutt vs pure bred is actually from /an/. Mutt owners often like to talk about how easy it was to just stroll down to the local animal shelter and pick up their friend for life. Responsible purebred owners are easy to troll because it takes a lot of money and effort to ensure that your pup's genetics are good to go.
>>
>>43921236
I'd say the only real thing for adopting is that if the dog turns out to be "defective", no harm done, you didn't put up money at the start. Might as well put a bullet in it's head and cut the suffering.

Of course, only a true full-blown psycho is capable of doing that after spending years day-in-day-out with the thing ...
>>
>>43920398
You shouldn't put out such a weak front that way they won't feel like they own you.
>>
File: Airedale-Terrier-5.jpg (168 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Airedale-Terrier-5.jpg
168 KB, 1024x683
smart enough that it could probably fix the Wasteland by itself.
>>
>>43909100
Only if you thought it was hentai or something like that and not a superior 70's post-apocalyptic film that Fallout was based on.
>>
>>43909912
Whoops, I see now what I wrote. I meant the cold.

Shit is serious business up here. And I mean, I COULD shave them down in the summer, but you would be fucked trying to keep other dogs alive during the winter.
>>
Man, everyone here is looking for big attack dogs.

Not realizing a small dog to keep watch / track would be much better for the wasteland.

I mean, they eat less food, and any other dog is just going to get shot and killed in a fight anyways. Yes, even if you put armour on it.
>>
File: 18360-doge-doge-simple.jpg (67 KB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
18360-doge-doge-simple.jpg
67 KB, 2000x1200
>>
>>43905555
You just fucking triggered my dog owner self. I am getting one of these dogs someday. Along with a Corgi. Maybe even breed them, if they have no bobtails.
>>
File: kuvasz.jpg (14 KB, 236x314) Image search: [Google]
kuvasz.jpg
14 KB, 236x314
Hungarian shepherd dog called kuvasz. Look at that size. They are used in Romania to fight off bears in the hills.

These large shephard dogs are bred with a white coat so that you can differentiate them from the wolves they are fighting at dusk. So you know which animal to point your gun at, and not shoot your own dog instead of a wolf in the grey of pre-night.
>>
>>43924492
That just sounds like a way to get a piss yellow dog with anxiety issues and knee problems.
>>
>>43924520
Why?
>>
Dogs are only useful against people running away.
As soon as an average human male decides to fight the dog head on, the dog will lose badly.
>>
File: 1424128985623.png (244 KB, 722x1414) Image search: [Google]
1424128985623.png
244 KB, 722x1414
>>43924520
we need to go further
>>
>>43924523
Corgi orange and vilfhund grey. Either one of those is recessive or both will show up. You run the risk of both meaning you'd get piss yellow possibly with no luster. Both have knee problems from the miniaturizing making things not fit properly. Both have anxiety issues as most small dogs do. Not sure why but some theories think its the shrinking of the brain case but the brain not quite following putting some pressure on it. Either way you'll get knee problems and anxiety issues and run a serious risk of piss yellow dull fur.
>>
>>43924525
Not if you train them properly. Theirs plenty of ways for them to fuck you up. Their best deal is to stay low and get you legs putting you down in their territory. staying to the ground forces you to use unpowered kicks and awkward angle punches while throwing you off balance. Its basic police dog training that works with pretty much any dog so long as its not taller at the withers than a person.
>>
>>43924534
Who the fuck keeps making pictures of my god damned waifu!?
>>
>>43924392
>"I shay we shign up with the brotherhood of Shteel. Not becaushe their good people, but becaushe they have the tech and hutshpah to get thingsh done. And with time and reshultsh, maybe they can be brought around to a more reashonable way of thinking."
>>
>>43924611
>not going with the minutemen all the way
>not killing all factions that oppose and stealing their tech and know-how
>not rebuilding america the right way
okay then, Commie.
>>
>>43924559
You don't know shit about these breeds, pal. Opinion disregarded.
>>
>>43907189
If you image search, it seems to be part of a setting by some Russian-sounding guy on DeviantArt.

That happens a lot though, the Shadowrun skittles setting is another that just has art and nothing else.
>>
>>43924525
Why do people keep repeating this nonsense, dogs take down grown men all the time.
>>
File: 1448686229778.jpg (181 KB, 884x1092) Image search: [Google]
1448686229778.jpg
181 KB, 884x1092
>>43924632
>not being a goddamnew paladin of the wastes, purging the uncleanext left and right.
>>
>>43925103
Turning off auto correct, its getting uppity
>>
>>43917271
had five of those things back then...they grew so big we had to buy bigger houses every year
>>
Basenji
>>
>>43910068
Mine wasnt
>>
>>43924725
Google corgi leg problems. The bundles of nerves and tissue weren't meant for those small knees and hips. They eventually wear them down and inflame them. The legs go more and more paralytic as time goes on. Corgi's are the worst for this but all stub legged dogs run this risk.
>>
>>43925103
>implying the Brotherhood isn't unclean tribals who found tech
>implying they aren't just pretending to be who they are
>implying returning to good ol fashioned baseball and exploring the local creek with your dog isn't what america was meant for
>implying i shouldn't treat them worse than i do super mutants for their blatant heresy, theft, backwards thinking, and general hypocrisy
>>
>>43909855
That staffie be adorable. It just looks so happy.
>>
>>43913611
and 100% cute.
>>
>>43914136
Hooly fook!
>>
A newfoundland.
>>
>>43924190
Pit bull best doge master race
>>
>>43907270
> ghoul chihuahua

I knew my bandito ghoul chief needed SOMETHING extra.
>>
>>43924468
What are stimpacks, first aid kits, and regen outside of battle?
>>
>>43905613
Akitas are pure win, and pretty damn versatile to boot. They can be vicious hunters just as easily as they can make awesome family dogs. They're pretty beefy to begin with, and their bark is deep enough to almost sound like a roar. Despite the intimidation factor though, they bond very easily to the owner family, and are incredibly patient and protective with the kids.

Top tier guard dog for your family, and a solid candidate for companionship out in the wasteland.
>>
>>43905527
A properly bred dog shouldn't have that issue. I know that German Shepards bred by proper breeders tend to not have any of the issues, but the problem is most breeders don't know what they are doing, and have half of the experience as someone who professionally breeds and raises working dogs.
>>
>>43924190
Eh, unless treated poorly, pitbulls make shitty attack dogs. They have an extremely high prey drive, but they where originally heavily bred to avoid attacking humans. When you're trying to create the perfect dog fighting dog it's in the handler's best interest if you can separate two dogs fighting without losing a hand.
>>
Catahoula Leopard Dog (aka my baby bear)
>>
File: Setter.jpg (44 KB, 690x413) Image search: [Google]
Setter.jpg
44 KB, 690x413
English Setter, for that AGI CHA build.

Gonna make this apocalypse look good.
>>
File: 1424441832529.jpg (288 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1424441832529.jpg
288 KB, 894x894
>>43905482
Hellhound
>>
>>43905613
Saw one of these eating a deer alive outside my house. I tried to get its attention but he got spooked and took off
>>
>>43905482

Something that can guard and hunt

Something smart, healthy and big enough to handle radroches and molerats without me needing to watch it every second
>>
>>43906393
my cousin that lives on the side of the street has one.
Dog's the friendliest, cuddliest thing i've seen.
>>
>>43922473

Niggas always be forgetting how close Japan and Russia are to each other, geographically speaking.
>>
File: carpatinAro.jpg (48 KB, 400x319) Image search: [Google]
carpatinAro.jpg
48 KB, 400x319
If people are like "its from my country and does it;s job well, so ill pick it", fine.
Ill take a carpathian shepard dog.
>A very devoted, well-mannered, courageous dog, it has been said to battle bears in an attempt to protect flocks of sheep or his master from harm.
Perfect
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.