[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what is /tg/ opinion on rolling dice vs drawing cards in rpgs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1448710505801.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448710505801.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
So what is /tg/ opinion on rolling dice vs drawing cards in rpgs?
>>
>>43895715
Card drawing has some incredibly complex numbers associated with it, and deals heh with shit that dice just doesn't, like shuffling and card counting and discard piles and whatnot.
So balancing it is an order of magnitude harder than dice. Not to mention dropping a deck of cards blows.
>>
>>43895779
True but I think there's a nice element of the derminalism of drawing from a deck of cards rather than the truly random roll the die. Plus if you drop a card you're not gonna have it land in your shoe.
>>
Were you in my ORE thread?
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 324x454) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 324x454
>>43896312
>>43896312
This one?
https://boards.4chan.org/tg/thread/43874754/so-my-newest-idea-for-implementing-playing-cards#bottom

Yes, and I did kind of like your idea of making ORE into a sort of poker hand system if you want to talk about it more.
>>
>>43896816

There's a few straight up Dice Poker systems (including Cthulhutech's) out there.
>>
>>43895715

I've always felt Mahjong, with its two honor tile suits ontop of the three numbered suits would be better for a RPG than western playing cards.
>>
>>43896816
The main thing there was introducing the aspect of "reality weakening", and the tactics brought up by using cards was secondary. Having reshuffles only occur on "snap backs" also reduces shuffling in general.
>>
>>43896972
You also have ~3x as many tiles as cards in a poker deck and four of each tile to further reduce the problem of card counting.
>>
>>43897243
I see card counting only as a problem because it's a lot of work for a little gain, so being optimal is no fun.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to go in the OTHER direction too, by using a type of deck that is easier to count.
>>
>>43896893
Yeah but it's typically agreed that's the it doesn't add anything to the game. It's just another way of totally not your result. ORE is actually build around finding matches and how their value effects things.
>>
I don't like drawing cards mainly cause shuffling sucks.

Can be fine if someone else is shuffling though.
>>
>>43897884
One of the reasons why ORE games don't let pools exceed the the number faces is because it doesn't make you faster in general, it only makes you better at doing more things at once. The suit matching in my system lets widths grow faster, so having pools exceed 10d is better as long as you're fine with auto-successes.
>>
>>43898178
I've always like the idea of the one roll engine but I've must confess I never really got how it all works only that it does.
>>
I must admit, I never liked ORE even though I admire its elegance as a system. Just a matter of personal taste. I do think turning it into a poker hand thing makes it far more interesting and flavorful.
>>
File: wild-talents-hit.jpg (29 KB, 588x592) Image search: [Google]
wild-talents-hit.jpg
29 KB, 588x592
>>43898210
Sets are dice that share the same value. Width is how many dice are in a set. Height is the value.

Higher width means actions are faster and stronger. Higher height usually means better quality of the action for things that aren't attacks. For attacks, height determines where it hits.

The default hit chart has this problem where the head is the hardest part of the body to defend(because you need to roll *x10 on a defend roll to block a head shot). A better hit chart would be:
Leg 1
Leg 2
Head 3
Arm 4, 6
Arm 5, 7
Body 8, 9, 10
>>
>>43898648

The twist that makes this good is that the equivalent of Fate Points (or willpower or luck or whatever) can be used by players to do things OTHER than simply gurantee a success, like shift a set's height up or down to change what sort of roll you've made or increasing a die's width, allowing the players to have a lot more control over their actions than is usual for a random rolled game, but while keeping the random roll element in it and allowing the system to stay really crunchy.
>>
>>43899793
The things I find most interesting in ORE is that called shots actually work and the way you do multiple actions. Though using the lower pool in multiple actions of different types seems a bit clumsy.

A few alterations I have been thinking about are:
-Master and expert dice aren't purchased for a skill, they are created for a specific roll by taking penalties(the way called shot works).
-Only the amount of dice you roll is capped at 10. For each expert and master die you have, you can bring an overflow die into your pool for an action.
-In the case of multiple actions of different types, the higher pool chooses a number of dice before rolling to be marked as only for higher pool. (Attack 7 and dodge 5 means you need to declare 2 dice as being unable to be used in forming sets for dodge.)
>>
>>43895715

She should be photoshopped into holding one Magic card or another.
>>
How does ORE do saving throws against things like intimidate?
>>
>>43900776
I think it's straight contested roll. Who ever has the pair of dice with with highest value face wins.
>>
>>43903831
I was wondering if it did something different because that type of thing is a source of a lot of rolling, which is something ORE is obviously against.
>>
>>43895715
I could totally go for a 4e style game where the daily/encounter power system is replaced by a deck of power cards that are limited in number based on their rough power.

Nnnnot really relevant to the actual topic here though, I guess.
>>
File: card draw.png (67 KB, 982x462) Image search: [Google]
card draw.png
67 KB, 982x462
>>43895715
Generally speaking, cards are troublesome to use in actual play. Unless you use a lot of decks or reshuffle all the time (which is annoying), players can gain an advantage by counting cards. If a lot of low cards have been drawn, then they can do more audacious things. If more more high cards have been drawn, they have an incentive to be more cautious, and potentially run the deck out by performing tasks that require a check, but which have little in the way of consequences if you fail them.

Of course, if you use them for a more narrow role, like initiative in Savage Worlds, or attribute generation in D&D (see pic), they can work much better.
>>
>>43895715
My favorite system is entirely random-chanceless and just relies on your ability to manage your energy pool

Dice are simpler from a probability standpoint, but cards are fun because they can become a kind of consumable resource pretty easily, as with Malifaux.
>>
>>43895715
How do you use cards? Is there a guide to use them?
>>
I'm only familiar with the way cards were used in "Shonen Final Burst", and from what I read you can't even make the decision to perform certain actions (such as blocking or attack combos) unless you have the right cards in your hand. Kinda limits your options, if you can't even choose what actions you want to do just because you don't have the right cards for them.
I know that the second Marvel rpg (Marvel SAGA system) used playing cards as well. How does that system work?
>>
>>43905333
>and from what I read you can't even make the decision to perform certain actions (such as blocking or attack combos) unless you have the right cards in your hand. Kinda limits your options, if you can't even choose what actions you want to do just because you don't have the right cards for them.

That does kind of make sense but doesn't it? You can't just do 'super attack' when ever you want it.
>>
>>43906565
But you also can't do something as simple as block an attack if you don''t have the matching cards in your hand.
>>
>>43895715
If there's a need for some mechanic that would allow you to "see" the next number, the cards are a must. This is often used in board games, dunno about RPGs.
>>
>>43907192
It's annoying but it's no different from simply faili from simply feeling a defence roll isn't it? Which a lot of games do.

>>43907250
It always thought it would be cute to have a way to peak into the next couple of cards to draw for precognition.

Does any one know the odds of a pairs with a hand draw compare to d10 anyway?
>>
>>43907426
>It's annoying but it's no different from simply failing a defence roll isn't it? Which a lot of games do.
Ah, but at least you GET to make a defense roll. You had the option to take that action; you just failed at doing it.
In Shonen Final Burst? Nope, if you don't have the right cards, you can't even consider taking that defensive action. It takes the choice away from the player, which is why I have such a burr up my butt about it.
>>
>>43895715
I want to experiment with using Dominion Cards to build Monster AI decks. That way I can have many different "types" of cards or just a lot of a few "types".
>>
>>43907499
>Nope, if you don't have the right cards
And 'that is when' you failed the 'defense roll'

>>43907426
>peak into the next couple of cards to draw for precognition.
There's a lot of cool effects. Manipulating the cards in various ways.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.