[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Proxy MtG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: ProxyAcceptable.png (15 KB, 151x225) Image search: [Google]
ProxyAcceptable.png
15 KB, 151x225
Proxies. What do you guys think of them? In casual, should you allow proxies in your deck? Are there limits?

Personally, I'm debating bringing up proxies. I have two BW EDH decks, but I don't want to buy a second copy of two or three cards that are already in one deck. Would you allow someone to proxy a card that, except for finding/changing sleeves/shuffling, they have?

What about cards that they just don't own, but might in the future?
>>
>>43890144
In my EDH playgroup you are allowed to proxy any card you already own as many times as you want.

So for example I can run Gaea's Cradle in all my (green) EDH decks because I own one.

We don't allow proxies you don't own because it ends up with one guy bringing a black deck with Nether Void, Chains of Mephistopheles, Tabernacle and The Abyss.
>>
>>43890387
Also, a guy who got his entire EDH collection stolen has been playing proxied versions of his decks for a few months now, gradually removing proxies as he adds cards to his deck. Any time he wants to add a new card to his deck he has to take out a proxy.
>>
>>43890144
>playing a pay-to-win game like magic
>"should I let people win without paying?"
>>
>>43890144
Honestly, why the fuck would you pay for the cards anyway, if you are going to play casually anyway? Why jew out players in your group not willing to pay ton of money on cards they actually don't even need anywhere else? EDH is pretty much a format for people to slam together their shitty rares not playable elsewhere anyway, so any tryhard there is pretty gay anyway. Only reason to pay for singles is either you like to own them, or you want to play a deck in FNM or such sanctioned tournament.

Sold most of my cards, because what's the fucking point? I'm not into EDH and since playgroup allows proxy tournaments, might as well just keep a few decks I can afford and proxy rest.

When you look at mtg card prices at the moment, they are not justifiable in any standard. Buying cards is so retarded this day, that it ain't even fun.
>>
>>43890144
I'm of the opinion that proxies are 100% for casual play. It tends to be the people who have the more expensive collections who are anti-proxy, and at the same time, those people often refuse to tone down their power level. They then wonder why no one wants to play with them.
>>
>>43890144
I have no problem with them. The closer Magic is to a game of skill/chance than it is a game of wallet size, the better, in my opinion. I realize the secondary market needs to be the way it is to support game stores, but I think Magic is better as a game and not an investment -- as somebody who owns and plays Shardless BUG, Miracles, and Death & Taxes.
>>
>>43890144
I sadly play proxy for cost reasons. But that is why if I print a card it is in black and white to show "Hey, this card is fake." and state before game, "My deck is not done and have X proxies." I stay true to my word and buy it when the chance comes.
>>
>>43891056
I feel ya man, its no fun to win because your opponent needs to use duals instead of shocklands.
>>
>>43890757
because funding your hobby is hard right?
>>
>>43891402
Buying shit with high price tag is hard.
>>
>>43891389
Yeah. I would much rather my opponents proxy duals than try to use Daze with shocklands.
>>
>>43891517
it's a privilege, not a right.

if you can't afford to pay for your hobby (or choose not to because fuck capitalism amirite) then i suggest finding a cheaper one, such as drinking bleach or playing on the freeway.
>>
>>43891402
I was really trying to make a statement that powerlevel in casual groups should really be a consensus of the group. Sorry if it didn't come across that way.

Its like the dude who brought legacy storm to the beginner group where I started playing, and comboed off t2 every time because of the lack of expensive free counterspells.
>>
>>43891641
fair point, I agree a level has to be established, especially at casual/kitchen table levels. As much as I want to play Legacy, I've been moving more towards Pauper because it makes things fairer.

I'm mostly ruffled at the anti-capitalist group that believes playing MTG is a god-given right and shouldn't have to fund their hobbies and pleasures.
>>
>>43890144
I once met a guy that was using owning one copy of a card he wanted to use in multiple decks so he had proxys for it in those because he didn't want to take it out and put it into the other pile all the time.
>>
>>43890144
A group that doesn't allow proxies is not a group worth playing with.
>>
>>43891566
Or getting playgroup together and proxy 10 decks for 2$, have your fun and spent your money on something , that actually makes sense.
>>
File: VZM.IMG_20151017_213312.jpg (271 KB, 1438x1764) Image search: [Google]
VZM.IMG_20151017_213312.jpg
271 KB, 1438x1764
Best proxy coming through
>>
My play group allows proxies, but we have an understanding that if your deck isn't fun to play against then we aren't going to play against it. It's resulted in some weird decks but it's kept us playing for over a year now
>>
>>43891725
What grind my gear the most, is that "no-proxies-allowed" people are the shits, that bought duals etc. collection early on. That somehow makes it "privilege" or some kind of earned right to be on eternal formats. Those same people demand that others should buy duals for 300$ of what they themselves bought for 10$ a piece in earlier days. What a fucking joke, elitism at it's finest.

But what I don't get it, why there isn't more proxy tournaments.
>>
>>43893135
pretty gud
>>
>>43893135

I found a terribly made Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmouth proxy in the commons box at my local store, and I run it in my EDH deck. I had an Urborg at one point, but I gave it to a friend who needed it for one of his decks.

I'll try and take a pic of it.
>>
>>43893201
supply vs demand comrade. you want the good shit? gonna pony up for it.

or just play belcher or something that costs virtually nothing.
>>
File: urborg.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
urborg.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>43893654

Pic.
>>
>>43893721
Or just buy really good fakes.
>>
>>43891566

>it's a priviledge to pay 50-80$ for a single piece of cardboard, so you should all bend over.

No it's not. It's retarded. Only people willing to defend such shitty claims are the people who "invested" in cardboard.

There's difference between funding your hobby and wasting your autismbux. Spending like 100-200$ for cardboard sounds ok to most of the people I know, and spending 1000-2000$ marks you as an autismo. In other words long live our chinese overlords.
>>
>>43894151
glad to see you're supporting china's dominance over uncle sam, comrade.

>>43894305
>i shouldn't have to pay for things that aren't necessary to my survival

damn right comrade. DOWN WITH CAPITALISM!
>>
>>43894346
well, we are the ones laughing over retards like you, spendings hundreds of dollars for a SINGLE piece of cardboard. have fun with you privilege.
>>
>>43894346

>buying desirable imitation products

this is pure capitalism
>>
My LGS allows 15 proxies per deck on Modern nights, it cuts the $700-$1000 decks down to a couple hundred, and doesn't do much for the cheap decks.

The result is that Modern nights have huge turnouts, and the store makes bank as people clean out the Modern cases every week slowly replacing their proxies at the speed of their paychecks and budget. Seems like a good system overall.
>>
>>43894151
>>43894346
This is wisdom
>>
>>43893748
I think I'll do this and just slip it in over my actual urborg in case anyone has any complaints. got a kek out of me
>>
>>43894654
are these sanctioned events? I didn't think proxies were allowed in sanctioned play
>>
>>43890681
The art is pretty and I dislike shitty color printouts (or even worse, B/W or sharpied proxies). I proxy when it's specifically a rule to maintain balance so I can be competitive, but I don't proxy with my friends or family because I don't care enough.
>>
>>43890681
>EDH is pretty much a format for people to slam together their shitty rares not playable elsewhere anyway
I forget this sometimes.

People don't realize that there's a lot of strategy and fun to be had if you limit your card pool, too. It's why Limited is popular, it's why Pauper is paupuler, and it's why casual players still play even though they don't have all the best cards.

I don't proxy cards because my playgroup is casual and uses the scarcity of rares to keep the power level of our meta in check. You could go and proxy up the "perfect" deck, but then everybody else would have to do the same, and then we're not playing with our "worse" cards at all, which is the majority of what we're paying for when we buy boosters.

We all like to draft and play sealed, and then we have all these cards left over, so we build decks and trade. Occasionally we slap together a miniature Cube and draft again. It's great. I don't know why you'd want to do anything else.
>>
They're fine, so long as you take the time to clear the card with acetone and draw your own fucking art.
>>
File: 1445112453116.jpg (258 KB, 2036x2812) Image search: [Google]
1445112453116.jpg
258 KB, 2036x2812
>>
>>43894346
>entrepeneur (chinaman) finds a market (mtg players)
>identifies a need in said market (specific cards that are stupid expensive)
>uses skills and tools to fill said need with his own product (proxies)
>makes profit

Nigger, chinaman is capitalism at its truest form. Youre just mad it wasnt a white person who came up with it first.
>>
>>43900207
classic
>>
>>43897518
I get my proxies done on a colour laser printer on 110lb card stock, 8 to a page, and cut them out with a paper guillotine.

Once they're sleeved, you can't tell them from official cards at more than 1.5 ft away.

They're the same thickness, the art is crisp at 300dpi (even at 200dpi is not bad).
>>
>>43899380
>>43890681
>EDH is pretty much a format for people to slam together their shitty rares not playable elsewhere anyway, so any tryhard there is pretty gay anyway.
Hmm. These days I only play cube, sealed, and edh , so I disagree with the notion of it being there to use cards you can't use elsewhere. If I'm doing constructed, it's for edh.

>Only reason to pay for singles is either you like to own them, or you want to play a deck in FNM or such sanctioned tournament.
>Sold most of my cards, because what's the fucking point? I'm not into EDH and since playgroup allows proxy tournaments, might as well just keep a few decks I can afford and proxy rest.
Yep.

My edh group has price limits, which should keep everyone's 100% proxy decks on similar levels.

Currently doing up a proxy print template to print out a 10 man Ravnica cube on cards stock, which I designed a list for last year. Custom card backs & clear sleeves; should be pretty nice, and easy to keep separate from my other cards, proxied and otherwise.
>>
File: Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen.ultra.jpg (1 MB, 1490x2080) Image search: [Google]
Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen.ultra.jpg
1 MB, 1490x2080
>>43905188
Another thing with mentioning:

Proxies let me do custom renders, such as making all the cards in my deck /cube /whatever have 2015 style borders, or making all my legendary creatures have pretty borderless promo frames, or just custom art, perhaps to make the card for the deck theme.

Example
>>
>>43905311
That exact render is in my gw Selvala elf tribal edh deck.

It looks way better than the actual card does.
>>
>>43890144
If your proxies look like that? I would not approve.

If they look like >>43905311, however, go nuts.

~proxy snob.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.