[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 69
File: Warhammer logo.jpg (26 KB, 350x279) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer logo.jpg
26 KB, 350x279
All Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Mordheim, Blood Bowl, Chaos in the Old World, Invasion, Man O'War, Dreadfleet, and Fantasy video game/novel/video/etc discussion is allowed here.

Previous thread: >>43815853

=====
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times (Compilation of all the End Times changes)
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy (All pages marked WF on the /tg/ wiki)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki (Warhammer Online wiki with lots of background articles too.)

==Wargame=Resources===
www.pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
==WHFRP=Resources===
www.pastebin.com/0e6RuQux

==AoS=Alternatives=====
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer
http://www.the-ninth-age.com

==Video=Games========
>Total War: Warhammer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i4d3ignBNQ
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTaQmhztVQ
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py7rpUz0eIw
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21P_ssGotxI
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Return of Reckoning (Warhammer Online private server)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOhzfkCdbY
http://www.returnofreckoning.com/index.php

>Man O'War: Corsair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twrLuASPnEI
http://manowarcorsair.com/

What are you working on RIGHT NOW?
>>
>>43851842
>years-old models are getting done after a major, major painting hiatus (~6 months)
Six months is a "major, major" break for you? Son I painted last week for the first time in 3 years.
>>
File: Araby Snippets.jpg (1 MB, 1725x1775) Image search: [Google]
Araby Snippets.jpg
1 MB, 1725x1775
Some new updates on the Araby image. I'm making progress through the books, and just started the Realm of the Ice Queen. It's about Kislev so I doubt I'll find anything about Araby, but we'll see.
>>
>>43884121
Just noticed that one of the boxes got duplicated and covered up three others. Great. This is going to be a pain to fix, I don't even remember which books those blurbs came from
>>
Fantasy is dead. just like this thread.
>>
Did the person shitposting about his 9th edition fluff go away already?
>>
>>43887647
the endhammer guy? maybe, but I donìt think, it's more probable that he just stopped doing it, or stopped posting about this endhammer fluff here at least.

I'd not call that shitposting though, just midly annoying insistence perhaps?
>>
>>43887371
At least we aren't keks that bent over to get fucked by the Sigmarine's cocks.
>>
>>43887700
Wait until Sigmarine profits drop. Then your time will come.
>>
>Get Bloodbowl 2
>/tg/ doesn't play it
RIP
>>
Do Gnoblars see any use with OK? They seem so useless when you could be taking more bulls...
>>
>>43888429
I haven't seen anyone use gnoblars
ever
its a shame really, I think they're funny looking little fellers
Kinda like how I love Snotlings but can't find a real use because the points are better spent elsewhere
Snotling pump wagons I will find a use for just
because I like the model that much
>>
>>43888672
Yeah, I asked because I love these little guys too. I find them characterful funny little things.
>>
File: justaos.jpg (2 MB, 2248x1721) Image search: [Google]
justaos.jpg
2 MB, 2248x1721
Picked a Krull the other day, is he worth fielding with rules from End Times, or stick with Archaon on foot?
I thought two axe guy was him until someone pointed it out.
>>
VC players, generally how many spare zombies/skeletons do you keep on hand for your battles?

I'm assuming I should paint up a spare regiment for every regiment I intend to field.

Also, people who use the long rectangular bases for their regiments... how exactly does this work? What happens when a unit starts taking casualties, or you want to add a character to the unit?
>>
>tfw I had £250 ready to drop on a WHFB army
>going for lizardmen probably
>AoS launches in a week
>decide to wait to see what the reaction is like
>"maybe it'll be awesome and I should buy the boxset instead of lizardmen"
>AoS comes out, and everyone is shitting on it
>local GW employees are on full damage control, shilling so hard in store
>/tg/ is awash with salty WHFB-fags and GW fanboys and shills
>2 weeks after launch, my local GW has seen a HUGE drop in business because all the WHFB players now just go to a FLGS for their games/purchases
>used that £250 to get myself a new suit for work

[spoilers]feels bad man. still wish I'd got the lizardmen, and just stuck with it, but AoS killed WHFB round my area, and only kids are playing AoS[/spoiler]
>>
>>43889240
people are doing 9th age tournaments in my flgs. and i am in fucking turkey. how can u not find games? I am starting a new welf actually. fuck aos
>>
>>43887647
You mean someone complaining about the name changes or someone compiling end hammer?

Hopefully both are gone, I love community projects but I got sick of walls o' fan fiction.

>>43884121
One of the short stories in the gotrek and felix series deals with their adventures in araby.

If you're interested in more fluff anyway.

>>43889240
A new suit for work isn't a bad idea anon, come back in 3 years when you're more economically stable like I did.
>>
>>43887371
>Fantasy is dead. just like this thread.
I'm certainly not going anywhere. I love the Warhammer setting and anything to do with it. This is the only place to discuss that, and as I work on my projects relating to the setting I have questions that come up, or want to answer others. Pictures I find or funny quotes can only be posted here. And as I'm far from the only one making these threads or commenting in them then I suppose I'm far from the only one who believes this way.
>>
>>43888053
Well I mean, there was a Bloodbowl General for the last two weeks. I'm surprised there isn't one now. Have you checked? If not then yeah, post here. OP makes it clear BB is welcome.

>>43888863
If you use rules from the End Times then it's only fair that your opponent gets to as well. It also carries with it an expectation that you're using the End Times fluff for your army and battle. If you are both okay with that then the answer is yes.
>>
File: Dawi'Zharr.png (548 KB, 583x644) Image search: [Google]
Dawi'Zharr.png
548 KB, 583x644
>>
>>43887371
The game may wither, the setting may end, but sure as hell, the interest in it will never truly die
>>
Guys help me

How am I suposed to paint the Stonehorn? I know how to paint the stone but I have no idea for the furr/ legs

Is there a tutorial or anything for the stonehorn?
>>
>>43891893
>Fur
D r y b r u s h i n hg
>>
Wood elves in 8th edition- Waywatchers worth it?
>>
>>43891920
yeah, but what color scheme? And which paints?

I realy have no idea how to paint that bad boy
>>
File: Brown Gnoblar.jpg (17 KB, 370x349) Image search: [Google]
Brown Gnoblar.jpg
17 KB, 370x349
>>43888672
>>43888692
They used to see a lot more play in the old OK army book. Since the update merged them into a single unit and buffed a lot of other stuff that's kind of petered off. No reason you can't field sub-optimal units though. If you play the army you like you will still have victories. You and your opponent will still have fun. The only thing that will change is that you won't be doing ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO WIN AT ANY COST EVER
>>
So I've been playing a lot of vermintide but I don't know much about whf.

All I know is a dorf ranger, elf shitter, random soldier, angry pilgrim, and a cocaine wizard kill thousands of rats, at least 13 rat ogres, and around 50 stormvermin - minimum.

So I have to ask - did they earn their points back?
>>
>>43888429

They are getting used, but their use is pretty limited. Basically either 10-man chaff (costs less than a bull) or a 50+ strong tarpit, both work with or without trappers (opinions vary on the trappers, they are fucking costly but then again it isn't that hard to force a charge from an elite infantry/cavalry, and once you do that you will average 4 kills on those 28 white lions before combat, that's almost 60 points)
>>
>>43889176

For skeletons, you don't really need much. Zombies tho, have as many spare as you are fielding at least, even more if you only start with a 20 strong bunker and nothing else
>>
>>43889176
>Also, people who use the long rectangular bases for their regiments... how exactly does this work?
Just how large are we talking? I know it's pretty common for blocks of 5, 10, and 20 models to be on single bases in horde formations. Generally the blocks will be kept in the front with 10 or 20 individual models in the rear that can be removed as casualties are accrued. Once the unit hits 10 casualties you sub back in all the singles and remove one 10 model tray, for instance
>>
File: Try Chaos! - SLoM.jpg (310 KB, 780x1157) Image search: [Google]
Try Chaos! - SLoM.jpg
310 KB, 780x1157
>>43889721
>and i am in fucking turkey.
Why did Turkish hackers take down the Secret Lives of Mobs comic? It was like the only Warhammer Fantasy webcomic
>>
File: Araby Snippets.jpg (1 MB, 1725x1775) Image search: [Google]
Araby Snippets.jpg
1 MB, 1725x1775
>>43890032
>Araby
I am absolutely interested in the fluff. Do you happen to remember which short story it was? Or any other books/stories that touch on Araby?

Here's the fixed image
>>
>>43891967
Have you ever gone over to the Ogre Stronghold? It's a friendly fan forum, the first I joined. They have all kinds of useful resources, and not just for OK
>>
>>43895695
>did they earn their points back?
Let's do some math. I'm assuming the point values of Warhammer Fantasy Battles 8th edition, though honestly it's probably more accurate to use Mordheim. Also, as there is no exact named character to match each character, the best approximations creatable from Heroes will be used.

Saltzpyre - Witch Hunter (Empire):
50 pts base
+10 for great weapon and brace of pistols
60 pts total

Kruber - Captain (Empire):
60 pts base
+14 for handgun, shield, and great weapon
74 pts total

Fuegonasus - Battle Wizard (Empire):
65 pts base
+35 for (probable) level 2 wizard
100 pts total

Goreksson - Thane (Dwarfs):
65 pts base
+39 for great weapon, crossbow, handgun, pistols, and shield
105 pts total

Kerillian - Waystalker (Wood Elves):
90 pts base

Total cost for all heroes is 429 pts.

For rats we have:

Grey Seer
240 pts base
+200 pts for Screaming Bell
440 pts total

Assassins
120 pts base
~40 individuals
4,800 pts total

Chieftains
45 pts base
+2 pts for halberds
~20 individuals
940 pts total

Stormvermin
7 pts base
~50 individuals
350 pts total

Clanrats
4 pts base
~1000 individuals
4,000 pts total

Skavenslaves
2 pts base
~1000 individuals
2,000 pts total

Packmasters
8 pts base
~40 individuals
320 pts total

Ratling guns
55 pts base
~50 individuals
2,750 pts total

Poisoned Wind Globadiers
10 pts base
~40 individuals
400 pts total

Rat Ogres
40 pts base
13 individuals
520 pts total

Total for the rats is 16,520 pts. Therefore, they earned their points back 39 times over. Each hero has to kill 3,304 points all by himself in order to contribute at least as much as his teammates.

The characters in the game have too many weapon options to be fieldable legally but this is as close as you can get.
>>
>>43897604
Neat, thanks m8!
>>
So guys I keep fucking about with my VC army list and need some advice

On my mobile so typing entire list out is an asshole of a task but basically me and a few friends run either 1500pt or 1000pt.

Anyway choice I usually roll with is....

Kitted out vampire lord
Low tier necromancer for dispel scroll and invoke spam on corpse cart for ASF
40 skeletons one with screaming banner
20 ghouls
6 crypt ghouls

In total that brings me to about 1487pts but I can't think of anything really to change. Got access to 5 hex wraiths, 10 dire wolves, soon 10 grave guard and a wright king

Any suggestions? ?
>>
Does anyone know how to get WFRP 1st edition rulebook? Can't find it on torrents or bookz.
>>
>>43898307

It's up in one of the bundles on Pirate Bay.
>>
File: image.jpg (228 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
228 KB, 1000x1333
I need pictures

Pictures of Mordheim terrain!
for inspiration. Dropping some ive made for a bump
>>
>>43897910
Looks pretty good, you have a nice mix. What are you takin on your vamp?
>>
>>43887371

Whatever you say kid. I've been playing Bretonnians since 1990. I have no plans on stopping nor does my club.
>>
>>43899457
Is that your piece?
>>
>>43899162
Which one?
>>
How should I build my Myrmidia list?
>>
File: image.jpg (270 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
270 KB, 1000x1333
>>43901706
Yea. Got a few of them so far. Need to make about another 20 or so proper buildings and about 30+ ruins.
>>
>>43903133
What are you looking for exactly? Fluff or crunch? What ideas do you have so far? Give us something to build off of
>>
File: 2015-11-29_00001.jpg (474 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-29_00001.jpg
474 KB, 1920x1080
Has anyone else been playing Mordheim?

I've been having a blast and am eager to take a fully leveled team to go against other players.
>>
>>43904387
Oh, they finished making it? Cool. How is it?
>>
>>43904521
It's pretty alright, concerning the single player. It's not incredible looking, there are no greenskins or dwarves, and the RNG is bizzarre despite sometimes having 95% hit/dodge/parry rating -- Although they're working on fixing the RNG algorithim.

Other than that, traversing Warp-corrupted libraries and traversing the many levels through teleporters and end up in front of hordes of Daemons is fun.
>>
Hi /tg/, visiting from another board, does anyone have the image of some guy describing Warp in Warhammer. I read it and it's got me interested
>>
no dwarfs or orks in mordheim...whats the point then.
>>
File: 2015-11-28_00003.jpg (293 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28_00003.jpg
293 KB, 1920x1080
>>43905375
Well, there are Skaven and their rat ogres.
>>
>>43905345
Do you have any more details? Is it a comic, an excerpt from a book? Is it Warhammer Fantasy or Warhammer 40,000?
>>
is Mordheim the vydia supposed to be so hardcore? I tried to start campaign with all 4 warbansd, and got my ass kicked 4 times.

not that I complain, it's awesome, but still, I'm wondering
>>
>>43905941
Games Workshop AI is essentially 'Add +1 to all rolls the AI does and claim it's good'.
See: Blood Bowl.
>>
File: 20150803_000129-1.jpg (3 MB, 3982x1256) Image search: [Google]
20150803_000129-1.jpg
3 MB, 3982x1256
>>43899457
You came to the wrong karak ufdi
>>
>>43891893
paint it all stone
imagine it's a beast of living rock
or it's just very dusty

>>43891963
yes
>>
>>43900343
The usual for a blender lord, Ogre Blade, dragon helm, Red Fury etc. Usually embedding him in the screaming banner unit makes him fucking unstoppable due to the fear tests and his always strikes first works a treat. Also when your skeletons have ASF it helps vs the Dark Elves player at my group he's a cunt with his army.
>>
>>43897604
this needs a "don't try this in tabletop, kids!" label
>>
>>43906135
>Games Workshop AI
GW has literally nothing to do with the development of licensed products aside from selling the license and approving the final product.
They certainly are not involved with AI design or programming...
>>
>>43905941
Since the AI have no need for objectives or objective denial, they're entirely kill rush. Your best bet is to trutle up to ibjectives and dog pile on enemies. Try to discern where a good place to engage the enemy would be and strive to get that wyrdstone cash money.

Also, familiarize what weapons your warband can use, and forget about looting the rest of the junk.
>>
File: L07A2666-130412-01.jpg (41 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
L07A2666-130412-01.jpg
41 KB, 1024x683
heard u talking shit
>>
Please tell me if I you had the same experience with wargames in general and Warhammer Fantasy in particular.
I've been trying to get into the game for a long time, starting with 40k not really getting too deep into it and switching to FB cuz I was tired of space marines and their ilk and fantasy seemed to offer so much more in terms of just visual variety.
I read the rules, I read the army books, buy/build/paint models: All that fun stuff! But every time I have to actually play the game against someone I just don't know what the fuck I'm doing. I know the rules yet I don't know how to play the game. I only played like 3 full games and after every one of them I just don't want to play this game ever again for half a year at least. There are a lot of things to keep track of, the magic is very in depth and there's a ton of lores and spells. All the units work differently and even though I know what my shit does, I'm easily overwhelmed by the amount of special rules and minutia of the units across the table. It would be better if WHFB was played by new people but that's just never going to be the case. Argh.
>>
>>43906655
what I found difficult, is that AI perfectly knows where everyone is. it knows the battlefield, while I have no fucking idea where everyone ends up at deployment, and so I get picked one-by-one as I go to help some team member
>>
>>43906820
Hmm
if you have trouble remembering things,make notes or something
If you have problems with remembering magic stuff, get battle magic cards if possible
Try reading through the army books more if nothing else works
If you have friends who do wargames then play practice games with them,some light hearted dicking around y'know
Like how me and my friend got started around the same time and play eachother when possible, its good practice
>>
>>43903248
>dead hang

How do you hang the dead?
>>
>>43907080
Well that's the problem - there are no new players to play and learn with. That's why I'm collecting 3 armies so I can potentially play with a friend.

Also remembering is not that big a problem, the problem is that I have a plan when I write my list, but as soon as miniatures hit the table my plan evaporates and I don't know what I'm doing.
>>
>>43907080
Also where can I find battle magic cards in pdf?
>>
>>43908111
by legs
they twitch hilariously as they try to reach the gawking living and squeeze warm life from them
>>
>>43908111
We can bring them back to life and then hang them!
>>
>>43906797
Dat wuz in ur 'ead, boss, it's happenin' way too offen lately...
The lads are worried aboutchu, ya know?
Drop the bats and pick the bat fer a good stompin, I say, it can only be betta fer your health.

Da new boy, dat grimdhurr, needs ta be shown who's the boss, boss!
>>
What happened that the popularity of fantasy so strongly decreased?
>>
>>43908940
if you mean recently:
the death of support for the game and the setting caused groups to shelter within themselves, fracturing the online community more than before and starving the major actually coherent and vocal part of the fanbase orbiting around the discussions of rumors and news.
everything is going on like before, with the exception that the news discussions moved to AoS.
and that if newcomers were afraid of entry cost before, they're now pushed back by the idea of GW fucking with them too now, while most of the old guard feel somewhat betrayed too despite actually being bipolar on the whole AoS thing too

if you mean on a greater measure of time:
GW procedurally unbalanced the game and raised the entry cost causing new players to be rare in comparison to the old guard grown on already collected armies and different miniatures, at the same time GW slowly tried to push miniatures for a demographic that prefers higher fantasy elements.
it was only obvious that the 2 practices combined caused disinterest in both old and new customers in some way or another.
>>
>>43909371
>for a demographic that prefers higher fantasy elements.
to attract new incomes fro newcomers and old guard buying shit they don't have.

thing is the higher fantasy things sell better than the more historical looking stuff, but the setting was fairly strict for these kinds of additions and themes over whole armies, so shit happened
>>
File: 1445606905422.jpg (307 KB, 853x543) Image search: [Google]
1445606905422.jpg
307 KB, 853x543
I have a friend whose trying to tell me that Age of Sigmar is selling well because he wants to prove that everytime GW does something shit "us fanboys" always buy into it because he's desperate to prove me wrong about GW getting shit on by the fanbase,
>>
>>43910182
Doesn't that technically make him the fanboy?
>>
>>43910334
He was referring to me.
>>
doing something because why not? some minis have potential and I don't see why they couldn't be used.

>varanspire knights (rare choice, monstrous cavalry) 80 points per model, unit size3+
>varanguard
>M4 WS6 BS3 S4 T4 W1 I5 A2 LD8
>knight of ruin (champion)
>M4 WS6 BS3 S4 T4 W1 I5 A3 LD8
>daemonic mount (monstrous beast)
>M8 WS4 BS0 S5 T5 W3 I3 A2 LD8

>special rules:
>daemonic attacks (mounts only)
>fear
>eye of the gods (champion only)
>the rewards of chaos

>equipments:
>chaos armours
>hand weapons
>shields

>all models may take one the following:
>lances 2pts per model
>ensorcelled weapons 3pts per model

>the unit may take one of the following:
>mark of khorne 4pts per model
>mark of nurgle 4pts per model
>mark of tzeentch 4pts per model
>mark of slaanesh 2pts per model

>all models may take bardings 15pts per model
>may upgrade one model to champion 10pts
>may upgrade one model to musician 10pts
>may upgrade one model to standard bearer 10pts
>may take a magic standard worth up to 50pts

>inb4 age of sigmar is that way
>implying these miniatures wouldn't have been ok with the late 8th and the end times releases
>>
>>43910597
>archaon may purchase dorghar the 3 headed beast for 500 points
>3 headed dorghar (monster)
>M6 WS5 BS0 S7 T6 W8 I3 A7 LD9
>fly
>large target
>terror
>scaly skin 4+
>light armour
>grand marshal of the forces of chaos: the inspiring presence of archaon is increased to 24" while on the 3 headed beast, instead of his normal 18"
>skullgorger: at the end of the close combat phase, if archaon didn't pursuit or fall back for wathever reason, roll a dice for every model removed as a casualty by archaon or dorghar, for every 6 rolled dorghar the 3 headed beast recovers a wound previously lost in the game.
>spelleater: when archaon attempts to dispel a spell, if 2 or more 6 are rolled, the mage who cast the spell loses the spell and may not use it anymore, furthermore, archaon gains the ability to cast that spell from now on.
>filthspewer: dorghar the 3 headed beast can make a flame breath attack resolved at strenght 5 that ignores armour saves.

>may have the following upgrade for the correlated point cost:
>blowseeker: all attacks targeted at archaon or dorghar, the now 4 headed beast, suffer a penalty of -1 to hit. 45pts

point costs inspired by the chaos warriors armybook
>>
File: 1446167738822.jpg (165 KB, 1132x898) Image search: [Google]
1446167738822.jpg
165 KB, 1132x898
>>43910609
>>
>>43910597
What's a Varanspire, Anon
>>
>>43911692
Varanspire was archaon's fortress

And these are the related guys
>>43911310
>>43907349
>>43907342
>>43907336
>>43907321
>>43907314
>>43907308
>>43907247
>>43907237
>>43907231
>>
>>43911651
The rules for that thing were pretty funny/terrifying
>>
>>43905375
>not amazons

Fucking shit.
>>
>>43912225

Funny/Terrifying.
Skaven.

Sounds about right....
>>
>>43911607
>>
>>43896838
I have no idea about anything of this but the community in istanbul is actually quite good for fantasy.
>>
Hey yall. So ive been wanting to start some psudo dark high elf army.
Heres my 2500 list in work

Noble bsb
Lord w/star lance
Lv4 wizard shadow w/book of ashur
Sea helm with bow

50 spearmen full command
X2 10 archers
8 silver helms banner muscian

18 white lions full comand
10 phoenix guard full command

2 bolt throwers

Gonna be using dark elf models and conversions
>>
>>43904387

Yep, been enjoying it. It's been hard to find online matches though, and I'm interested in playing some human players.
>>
>>43914012
I'm sure /tg/ could have other warbands duke it out , should they desire. Plus, it pushes the importance of some of the consumable items, like the oil jar or the potions
>>
So I jumped ship to WMH after last feb, but one guy at my new store is trying to get me into Kings or w/e the mantic version is.

I have all my beastmen sitting around, has anyone played it?
(I realise this is not the right thread)
>>
>>43908940

With 8th Edition at least I think it was GW at least visually and possibly rules wise pushing towards multiple units of 30-40 models, which new players seemingly either have no interest in doing right away or at all.

Someone who wants to play TK because they think the Necrosphinx is cool are going to be put off when they're told they can only play it in games with a certain level of points and that they also have to buy and field a certain number of old skeleton models.
>>
>>43915916
Beastmenhave a KoW armylist now, called The Herd and available in their new expansion book, so you can totally play them.

people don't really talk about KoW on /tg/ because therems really nit much to discuss. The game is siginificantly streamlined compared to WHFB, meaning there's less discussion about things like magic and loadouts, there's actually good balance between units so people don't talk about armylists much, and Mantic hasn't done any fluff but the bare bones minimum about their setting so there's nothing to talk about there either, and lastly the mantic models are largely nothing to write home about so there's little to discuss about that either. It's a bit of a shame, but don't let any of that put you off the game, most of those things I listed aren't really downsides, just different.

Though, I really wish Mantic would get their ass in gear when it comes to their fluff side of things. They've said that its a top priority at the moment, but a wargame lives and dies on either its setting or its gameplay and I would prefer not to see another Warmahordes where the fluff is either ignored or outright bad and the dev team doesn't care about hobbyists or people who want a rich setting.
>>
>>43913967

not sure where you are going with this. first, this is 2k-2200 pts depending on the setup. some observations:

-you might be losing the chaff war. I assume the silver helms will be used for clearing out chaff (too small unit if you want a cavalry prince with them), besides that only the archers can help and you have no chaff of your own. so what is actually the purpose of the helms? if you want chaff hunting, you can get 2x5 reavers for around the same points as your helms are currently, and they will do the work better. if they are for flank protection, 6 are enough. if you want to run the prince with them, up their numbers or drop them in favor of dragon princes if you want a small footprint, hard hitting unit

-similarly, what is the purpose of the 10 PG? flank protection for the spearelves? even tho they are durable 10 isn't enough even for that, not to mention for anything else

-unit sizes. 50 for spearelves feel like overkill, 40 should be enough. 18 is quite strange for the lions too, i'd go down to 12-14 or up to 21-28

-just make the sea helm the BSB if you want to run it

-book of hoeth>book of ashur. not to mention you can buy 4+ ward with it

also, get a phoenix, the spearelves get A LOT better if they are supported by a frosty
>>
>>43918369
Well i just saw this list on oncebitten's youtube and it looked fun.

Im still in debate between high or dark elves.
>>
>>43918369

holy fuck reading this after the AoS thread makes me sad what they have done to fantasy. I mean, if the guy posted the same army for AoS he would have just get a 'will be nice anon, anything works in AoS!', here he gets some nice points and bunch of questions where his answers can shape his army in multiple directions and make it better

I mean I can understand it kinda, it's easier to get into a shallow shit but isn't it much better if you have to think on your army, have a gameplan, and get familiar with the tactical nuances? AoS will simply have none of these discussions which quite frankly were half of the game for me
>>
>>43918542

high elves are better for this style of army imo

you can always go and paint them nagarythe or pre-sundering scheme and have dark high elves
>>
>>43918622
Probs, may end up using dark elf models for things such as spearmen and executioners for white lions
>>
>>43918688

good idea, given that the HE spear sculpts are way too aged

btw, another one bites to dust, just saw this when I checked out the models:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Dark-Elf-Warhost-of-Naggaroth

this was a quite good box, RIP
>>
>>43918803
Local gw still has one dont know what do with hydra and fleet master
>>
>>43918840
Derp
Corsairs and chariot*
>>
>>43918803

expect the disappearance of all the good sets, GW can't have value stuff like the Ogre Battalion for 60 squids, this money buys you the following piece of wonder instead of 40 models in today's GW:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Dreadhold-Malefic-Gate
>>
>>43918864

corsairs are pretty fucking good actually, tho not for the type of army you wanted. I'd skip the set if you don't want them

personally, bought the box for £75, sold the chariot (isn't a bad unit just don't like it) for £15, made the fleetmaster BSB, so got 20 corsairs (used the medusa from the altar box to unit fill them up to 6x4), 2x10 xbows, 5 knights and a bsb for £60. that's like 800 points, literally a third of my army for that amount, loved that box
>>
Well i havent fully read/look through the high elf book but,

Heres a list of my favorite dark elf models
Dreadlord of blk dragon
Master
All 3 warrior units
Dark riders
Executioners
Black guard
Reaper bolt thrower.

Not a big fan of witch elves, pirates or monsters
>>
R8 and H8 my 9th age Dark Elves list guys, I need help deciding on what models to buy.

THE DARK ELF MONSTER MASH:

HEROES:

Dark Master: Beastmaster, Raptor, Heavy Armor, Hardened Shield, Whip of subversion, Speed Potion - 165

Dark Master: BSB, Razor Banner, Fleetmaster, Shield, Halberd. - 166 pts.

Sorceress: Level 2, Dispel Scroll - 120 pts.

CORE:

5 Shadow Riders: RCBs - 100 pts.

14 Dark Repeaters - 154 pts.

30 Warriors: (Spears) Full command, Banner of Courage - 275 pts.

SPECIAL:

20 Executioners: Full Command, Banner of Speed - 305 pts.

9 Raptor Knights, Musician - 244 pts.

Dread Reaper: Repeating Shot - 75 pts.

Raptor Chariot - 100 pts.

RARE:

Hydra - 175 pts.

2 Medusae - 120 pts.

1999/2000

I'm debating dropping 5 Executioners and the Medusae for a big-ass Kraken to join the Hydra on the flanks of my Beastmaster Raptor Bus.

Think this list is any good? Any changes necessary?
>>
>>43912190
They just don't make the models like they used to
>>
>>43918036

PP actually seems to care at least a decent amount for the Iron Kingdoms setting, even if the players may not. It started as an RPG long before it was a miniatures game.

>>43918565

I don't know why you assume there wouldn't be any tactical nuances like certain loadouts, units being better than others, or how a unit interacts with the rules or other units in AoS.

You probably don't see stuff like the above in AoS threads because there is no hard army building structure in place that everyone uses.

You're also really meant to be using battleplans in AoS, not just crashing dudes together.

>>43921922

They're better :^)

But really, I personally don't see anything wrong with the Varanguard if you don't just want a somewhat generic armored guy on a horse.
>>
>>43922245
>You probably don't see stuff like the above in AoS threads because there is no hard army building structure in place that everyone uses.

no, he probably doesn't see anything like that in the AoS thread because the 'game' doesn't have any depth, it is babbys first tabletop game

I have no idea why the hell do you come to this topic everytime someone mentions any of the faults of AoS to 'correct' them
>>
>>43922245

age of smegmar and tactics, good joke

I CAN CHOOSE WHICH BLOB ATTACKS FIRST GEEZ BEHOLD MY TACTICS
>>
>>43922351

>I have no idea why the hell do you come to this topic everytime someone mentions any of the faults of AoS to 'correct' them

Maybe because I don't come to these threads for that purpose.

If you want a hugbox where no one will argue with your dislike of AoS, go to Warseer.
>>
>>43922866

you are the only one pro-aos guy in the whfb threads. and frankly, you are boring as fuck as everytime you write the same shit, guess the HQ haven't given out new lines yet

not to mention that you come back even after you got exposed dissing whfb like it is the worst shit ever in the aos thread while playing the 'whfb player, who are open to aos' here
>>
>>43922866

you have chosen the wrong battlefield for your crusade I'm afraid. I mean, you are surprised that the pro-whfb anti-age of sigmar guys are in this thread? can't be that stupid really. I mean I never expected going into the sigmar threads that the majority will be whfb supporters who loathe sigmar

or are these baits? have the people been shitposting in the sigmar thread again so you came to avenge them?
>>
>>43922930
>>43922974

realize that you are arguing with a guy who just finished one of his sentences with a ':^)'

ignore the troll and move on
>>
>>43893708
Sub optimal? They are a ridiculously good redirector for their cost, and has the benefit of not giving victory points.

And again, a minimum group is the cost of 1 ogre. You don't lose much by bringing them, not to mention the fact that you have nothing else that can hold the watchtower.
>>
File: Volkmar_empire.jpg (79 KB, 332x491) Image search: [Google]
Volkmar_empire.jpg
79 KB, 332x491
>>43922245
Gee... I feel I know this anon...
>>
>Varangur knights
>dat price
and I thought GW's Blood Knights were fuckexpensive...
>>
>>43924163
They don't even have a Varangur line yet.
>>
>>43924295
line? I thought they were just a random Chaos Undecided unit
>>
>>43924308
They will probably make a model line for it sooner or later. They are gonna make a new army that looks like Dead Space Necromorphs or something as well. So it will probably be a thing in the next KoW kickstarter.

I for one wouldn't mind generic Chaos warriors since GW seems to have decided they are gonna replace them with some overdesigned minis instead.
>>
>>43924324
I don't mind overdisgn, as long as it's on uncommon models only (i.e. rares, characters, monsters, that sorta thing)

but then again, with 27 euros per model to spend on bits I could most likely make better
>>
>>43924376
Well yeah, with a basic mini it's easier to convert because you don't have spend a lot of time shaving off detailes you don't need for your custom piece.
>>
File: image.jpg (754 KB, 2937x2203) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
754 KB, 2937x2203
>>43924324
Depending on how the minis will look I could use these for mutation bits if they do them in plastic.
>>
>>43919835
Speed potion on a dark elf? Seems odd but i guess you might only face other elves
>>
>>43925102

Improving Initiative does nothing in an ASF vs ASF battle, everyone strikes simultaneously, so only benefit would be against the occasional Chaos or Vampire model
>>
>>43925102
>elf
>weapon of I10
>drinks potion of speed
>gets to attack 5 times before game even began
>gets 3 attack rounds just for himself each close combat round
>cannot be hit at all, because moves so fast he's a blur
>must pass T test each turn or take S4 hit with Flaming attacks special rule, as he scorches himself with air friction

that would be pretty awesome
>>
>>43925738
>Vampire model
Any vampire that you'll have trouble with already has ASF.

On that note, what does /tg/ think of 9th age, and how did they handle ASF? Still in, or did they remove/replace it with something else?
>>
>>43926253
it just gives you +1 to hit, and makes GW attack at normal initiative instead, IIRC, can't look at the roolbook atm
>>
>>43926268
Nice, will have to look into that. I hate playing elves because they make initiative redundant. Though unless elves got heavily buffed elsewhere, I doubt I could convince any of the local elf players to use 9th age rules instead... They seem to throw a fit if they are ever not first, to the point where they have refused to play against me if I include two thundertusks. They think Impact hits is the most broken rule in 8th edition, and if I also bring something that takes away their ASF, nevermind the frost aura only affecting MODELS within 6"... That apparently "breaks" their army to be completely unviable.

Or maybe I should just find different people to play with. It just feels like 80% of all Wfb players I meet are some flavour of elf.
>>
so I asked the guys at my FLGS what they're playing now cause I've been out of the loop since AoS dropped and they said 8.5
anyone can hook me up with the pdfs I need for that? seems to me like there are different versions of this
>>
>>43927149
That sucks, m8

Speaking of 9th age, we've got the first sneak peek (a pic from 2 months ago) of the artistic direction
>>
File: 1335812413067.jpg (458 KB, 833x600) Image search: [Google]
1335812413067.jpg
458 KB, 833x600
Hey, I just started Fantasy with a few friends again and am going Brettonia because fucking knights and shit.

Anyone have good tactics links for me to get an idea of where I'm going with this army. I read the 1d4chan section but am looking for more helpful advice as well.
>>
>>43927299
8.5 can mean different things based on the groups
It's sure that the base for that are the 8th edition books (or the most recent armybook for those armies that didn't get an update)
Then you should ask your group what additions they apply, because as far as I know there's not just one version of 8.5 floating around
>>
>>43927367
yea, after I googling I feared the same but I was hoping there is a definitive 8.5 version
guess I'll have to get over my autism and call one of them for details
thanks for clearing that up
>>
>>43927396

8.5 usually refers to 8th edition with the 50% lords and 50% heroes limits from the latest FAQ.

Always worth checking though.
>>
>>43927597
A lot of them have various kinds of house rules thrown on top.

A lot of them seem to fix it do *something* about steadfast. In the 8th edition iteration, it made massive blocks too good, and monsters useless, since cannons could reliably one shot them, and even if they hit CC, they would still lode combat more often than not, simply because of static CR and low damage output for most of the regular monsters, or even things like Giants.

Some of them goes overboard, though. Removing it isn't the solution. I've seen some just make terror deny steadfast, some deny steadfast if you fail a fear/terror test, etc. The problem is that we have so many "updates" of various kinds, that we haven't gotten a really solid update, maybe aside from 9th age
>>
>>43925102
Well remember this is in 9th Age where ASF doesn't exist. For 5 points I can bump my Initiative from 7 to 10 with my Master so he can take on anyone and almost always hit first. His whip is ridiculously powerful as it strips the enemy of all attacks if it wounds, so in a challenge he MUST swing first.

>>43926253
9th Age made elves pretty much what I want them to be. Not fucking OP, but each elf is a highly trained warrior and it feels that way. Gone is ASF which was a huge fucking pain in my ass making initiative completely irrelevant. Now elves get +1 to hit and lose the +1 but swing at initiative with great weapons. My standard spearman brick will hit most other basic infantry on 2+. That's beautiful. The overall balance of each book is starting to shape out and form many different viable army lists, also with a ton more fluff than GW had in their armies, and everything's been renamed and changed in 9th.
>>
What books do I need to read/check out to make a Grand Legion Of The Everchosen army? I know I need the Beastmen, Daemons, Skaven, and Warriors codices. But what End Times books? Totally new to WHFB here so not sure. Also due to how points spending works in fantasy, can I not run Archaon or Glottkin in a 2000 points army?
>>
>>43929221
The amount of points you can use on heroes/lords was upped to 50% by the end times
so yes, you can field Archaon/Glottkin at 2000 points
>>
>>43927316

faction fansites are typically bretty good:

http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org
>>
>>43929741
Ahhh okay. Well, after some messing around I came up with this Grand Legion Of The Everchosen army. 2000 points. Gorebull goes with the Gor Herds and Clanrats as meat shields (calling chaff in fantasy?), Throgg and the Chaos Trolls are the elite infantry while the Chaos Chariots are the cavalry for heavy melee damage, Warplock Jezzails/Skullcannons are the heavy ranged support, Daemon Prince is the leader who can do whatever needs doing.

---Lords/Heroes---

Throgg - 195 points

Gorebull - 205 points
-Blackened Plate (20)
-War Banner (25)

Warriors of Chaos Daemon Prince - 525 points
-Daemon of Nurgle (10)
-Daemonic Flight (40)
-Chaos Armor (20)
-Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Death (140)
-Soul Feeder (10)
-Scaled Skin (20)
-Chaos Familiar (25)
-Sword of Striking (15)
-Dragonbane Gem (5)
-Charmed Shield (5)

---Core---

(10) Gor Herd - 80 points
-Mark of Slaanesh (10)

(10) Gor Herd - 80 points
-Mark of Slaanesh (10)

Chaos Chariot - 120 points
-Mark of Khorne (10)

-Mark of Khorne (10)

(25) Clanrats - 100 points

---Special---

(6) Chaos Trolls - 210 points

(4) Warplock Jezzail Teams - 90 points
-One team is upgraded to Sharpshooter team (10)

---Rare---

Skull Cannon of Khorne - 135 points

>>
>>43897656
Actually left out something. During the progress of the campaign you destroy 3 Doomwheels and a second Screaming Bell. That tacks on another what, 500 points?

>>43905375
Have they said they won't be adding any more factions? I doubt it. They're doing the same thing Total War is, starting with core races and expanding from there once the game is playable.
>>
>>43927986
And it still leaves room for counters, as high WS dudes will not just be hit by every single attack anyway. 3+ is far from 4+ rerollable. Hell, most armies thinks it is good if half their attacks hit, and if all of them hit, they would go NUTS about how lucky they were. elves would be surprised to go an entire battle without getting at least one combat where everything just hit, no misses at all. It was pretty dumb.
>>
>>43908210
>as soon as miniatures hit the table my plan evaporates and I don't know what I'm doing.
Perhaps that's the issue, you're building too specific lists? Just throwing out a wild guess here but if your plans are getting derailed quickly, maybe you need a more general all-comers list? Something adaptable?

>>43908227
>Also where can I find battle magic cards in pdf?
Check the tabletop resources link in the OP. I don't *remember* seeing them in there though, and I have a feeling they actually aren't scanned in anywhere. If you do find them please post them in this thread. An alternative that you could do is buy some Magic: the Gathering cards and face them with paper you've printed the spells on. There are guides to doing that in many faction forums, though it should be noted that GW views this as illegal. I doubt they'd mind now since it's for an OOP product, though it is GW...
>>
>>43909416
>>43909371
Which higher fantasy units are we talking about? The Luminark of Hysh?
>>
>>43930699

I'd put the gorebull with the trolls to protect them from the only thing that can really hurt them, flaming attacks

Also, don't forget that Throgg makes the trolls core

Not sure if 4 jezzails will do much desu, I'd rather up the clanrats to 40+, or even switch them for slaves, you might be able to do 2x40 with shields + champion. Ungor raiders are prolly better for chaff purposes, not a beastmen expert tho so I may be wrong here.

So what about something like this

---Lords/Heroes---

Warriors of Chaos Daemon Prince - 525 points (General)
-Daemon of Nurgle (10)
-Daemonic Flight (40)
-Chaos Armor (20)
-Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Death (140)
-Soul Feeder (10)
-Scaled Skin (20)
-Chaos Familiar (25)
-Sword of Striking (15)
-Dragonbane Gem (5)
-Charmed Shield (5)

Gorebull - 205 points
-Blackened Plate (20)
-Battle Standard (25)

Throgg - 195 points

---Core---

(5) Ungor Raiders w Mark of Slaanesh 35 pts
(40) skavenslaves with shields 100 pts
(40) skavenslaves with shields 100 pts

-Mark of Khorne (10)

-Mark of Khorne (10)

(6) Chaos Trolls - 210 points

---Rare---

1999 points

ungors are the chaff, chariots + trolls + DP the heavy hitters, the two slave block your meatshield. if you can cut something, champion on the slaves would be pretty good, and with the trolls being core you can also try out gorebeast chariots instead of the core chariots if you don't mind the slower speed of them
>>
>>43910406
TBF I haven't seen any sales figures for AoS. Everything we've been going off of is anecdotal evidence. Maybe it is selling well? I'd ask in the AoS thread.

>>43910609
I don't believe this would work. In Warhammer Fantasy Slaanesh is very much alive and hungry. As the Everchosen Archaon is the champion of Slaanesh as well. Therefore he would not ride a monster that symbolizes rejection of Slaanesh.
>>
>>43912225
Got a link to the rules?

>>43913914
I'm jealous. I'm in America and we have almost nobody here playing Fantasy, and the same was true even before AoS
>>
File: Bone Giant by zhengrh (CMON).jpg (131 KB, 400x1732) Image search: [Google]
Bone Giant by zhengrh (CMON).jpg
131 KB, 400x1732
>>43917507
>field a certain number of old skeleton models.
God, this is what turned me off. I can put up with light infantry being the main force but I refuse to field those ugly old skeletons, and especially skeleton horses. I would have bought an army, I really would have. It's the same thing keeping me from playing Bretonnia, ugly out of date models for important units. TK didn't need snake riders, it needed new skeletons.
>>
>>43931534

actually fucked it up, the gorebull got Mark of Nurgle and shield for a bit better protection, so it's 160 base +20 Blackened Plate +25 BSB +10 MoN +4 shield for 219 points
>>
>>43919219
>Dreadlord of blk dragon
...REALLY?
>>
>>43931534
>>43931706
Oh shit Ungor raiders can be taken in 5s? Hell yeah. Damn those slaves are even cheaper I like that, too. Also thanks for reminding me of Throgg's rule. Since Trolls are Core, I am curious: which of these three would be better for doing damage that's also quick?

2x Chaos Chariots?

2x Gorebeast Chariots?

Chimera?

The latter two become options with Trolls being Core cuz of Throgg.
>>
>>43927304
>Speaking of 9th age, we've got the first sneak peek (a pic from 2 months ago) of the artistic direction
Wait what? Don't get me wrong, I approve wholeheartedly of that image, but I thought 9th Age was just a balanced ruleset for use with WHFB armies? Are you telling me there's going to be fluff and a story independent of GW's old output?
>>
>>43927316
Nice choice with Bretonnia. Seconding >>43930078, that's a particularly good community. Also don't squander your opportunity, this is your chance to build your own working scale trebuchet from balsa wood. There are lots of tutorials on that fan forum.
>>
>>43931949

doing damage + quick: Chaos Chariots

gorebeast does around the same damage, but is slower. however, while the core chariots are no mean fragile, but the gorebeasts are tough as fuck. with MoN, most units will hit them on 5+, then there is the 6 toughness 5 wounds to go through. you basically trade the speed for toughness in case of the chariots
>>
>>43927986
>Now elves get +1 to hit and lose the +1 but swing at initiative with great weapons.
Can you rephrase that?
>>
Question; how did the Dark Elves worked again? They made Slaneesh here as well? Did their gods still lived and had an afterlife?
>>
>>43932313
Sweet I'll stick to them then. Thanks a lot for the help! Now to buy and paint the stuff!
>>
>>43933040
The relationship between WHF and 40k isn't super clear. We know they are connected by the Warp, but whether that means it's the same universe or two connected universes is up for debate. The origin of Chaos is never touched on in Fantasy, only its coming to the Warhammer World.
>>
>>43933849
Yes yes, there also have been speculations that Sigmar is the Emprah or not.
But what I am asking is that the Elven Gods, Khaine and Asuryan etc were alive and well in Fantasy, and the Dark Elves came to be in the same way as the Dark Eldar did.
>>
File: Disciple of Khaine.jpg (1 MB, 1500x2328) Image search: [Google]
Disciple of Khaine.jpg
1 MB, 1500x2328
>>43934122
No, the Dark Elves came about because of internal Elven politics. They are dark in that they worship the Elven god of murder, Khaine. There is some infiltration of the Cult of Slaanesh in the upper echelons of their power structure but by and large they are dedicated to their old ways.
>>
>>43891963
Jesus fuck yes.
>>
$400 (shipping included) for an Empire army mostly non painted, here's whats included

Steam Tank –oop pewter
(28) Greatswordmen – pewter
(38) Knights
(24) Empire Free Company
(11) Battle Wizards, (3 pewter)
(2) Battle Wizards mounted
Empire General
Hurt Helborg
(7) Pistoliers oop (1 in blister)
(30) Flagellents Warband
Mortar
(2) Great Cannons
Hellblaster Volley Gun
(63) State Troopers with Spear – current and oop
(14) Crossbowmen oop
(42) Handgunners – current and oop
Warrior Priest
Engineer
Lugwig Schwarzhelm
Karl Franz on Deathclaw oop

and

Bits

Is that a good deal?
>>
File: 1445033730478.jpg (67 KB, 340x296) Image search: [Google]
1445033730478.jpg
67 KB, 340x296
Probably going to get butchered for this but hey fuck it I am shit at painting.

Is there anything wrong with me painting my miniature parts on the spool before assembling them?
>>
>>43935423
You're most likely going to chip the paint during assembly.
>>
File: davo.jpg (31 KB, 300x401) Image search: [Google]
davo.jpg
31 KB, 300x401
>>43935468
Maybe, I am pretty damn careful when it comes to cutting but I see your point. I have not painted in years and I struggle to paint fucking vampire counter skeletons FUCKING SKELETONS! and I just feel if I get the detail down on them on the spool at least i can just go to work on the body later....There is no hope for me...
>>
>>43935572
If you're just throwing on a layer of primer or something, it's fine. Just don't do detail painting on the spool.
>>
>>43935572
What kind of trouble are you having while painting that having the model still on the sprue would help?
>>
>>43931513

Funnily enough, the Luminark of Hysh is supposedly based on a picture from an old Fantasy rulebook.

>>43931572

It's not that Archaon has rejected Slaanesh, it's that do to being missing in action Slaanesh never sent a champion for Archaon to kill and for Dorghar to subsequently consume.

>>43931656

Yeah, it's a real shame that TK had some pretty cool models that were held back by infantry and horses that just looked like shit. Don't even think it's possible to use VC skeletons instead.

Bretonnia on the other hand I think has stood up very well, though maybe that's based on mostly seeing knights.

>>43933040
>>43934122

Slaanesh always existed in the Fantasy universe.

According to the End Times, after the Elven pantheon lost to the Chaos gods they got booted into the mortal world. Most took the form of elves. Khaine was split into three parts, the Curse of Aenarion, Widowmaker, and Tullaris Dreadbringer. What form Asuryan took was never clearly explained.

As the Anon above says, the Dark Elves were created by politics and mostly worship Khaine and the other darker deities of the Elven pantheon. In old lore they worshiped Slaanesh but this was retconned into worship of their own gods in 7th Edition.
>>
>>43936124
So is Dorghar still itself or has each head taken on it's own personality from consuming the other champions?
>>
File: 1368563384167.jpg (133 KB, 365x301) Image search: [Google]
1368563384167.jpg
133 KB, 365x301
>>43935631
I guess its like the underbelly of most models... .Eg Ghouls and skeletons. Crypt horrors are big enough for me to easily paint on the stomach area.
>>
>>43936304

Unknown, I'm assuming it's still itself.
>>
>>43931656
>>it needed new skeletons.

I hear you, brother. I've had a small army of Tomb King waiting to be assembled in my bits box for years. But those fucking skeletons are just...terrible miniatures. They just look fucking retarded.
>>
>>43935418
No
>>
File: frontbone.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
frontbone.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>43936552

Fuck it ill post my poor attempt. It has been like five years since i did miniatures last and that was 40K, it was easy to paint since chaos marines are just fucking one color.

Trying to make them look swampy instead of calcium clean like most peoples skeletons. I'm in the process of making the sword look rusty but any slightly not so harsh help would go a long way
>>
>>43936862
Those look pretty good to me anon I wouldn't sweat it.
>>
>>43932167
>Are you telling me there's going to be fluff and a story independent of GW's old output?
As far as I know there're artworks, stories and a fully fledged background for a generic enough setting being worked on: while for the first two we can certainly expect them to look and read almost exactly like warhammer, but without the names and specific symbols, I still haven't got what exactly they have the intention to do with the fluff for the whole setting, but honestly I don't care about that, good old black and white pencil artworks and stories with the pov of ignorant soldiers is what I'm looking for.
>>
>>43927316
Welcome fellow bret/fag/! I'm a huge fan of the Bretons, and I'm looking to get back into fantasy (fuck AOS) and re-buy a new Bretonnian army.

1st tactic : hit hard on the charge...
2nd tactic: don't waste the charge unless you know the unit is generally going to break
3rd. don't get your knights stuck in combat, without another support charging unit of flanking knights
4th. As much as I love peasants...set them up as fodder
5. Always...Always pray for the blessing in the beginning.
>>
File: perry metals awesome shields 1.jpg (133 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
perry metals awesome shields 1.jpg
133 KB, 550x367
>>43937491
Anybody experimented with printed shields?
Or should I bugger off to /hwg/ and ask those guys?
>>
>>43937623
holy shit those look amazing....and wtf is /hwg/ ? What board is that?
>>
>>43937623
/hwg/ would know more about them and probably be able to point you towards some tutorials, but the technique's old hat for warhammer.

Used to be pretty much every banner was printed out or otherwise made of paper...
>>
>>43937721
historical wargaming general. They're good people.
I like hanging out there for the awesome minis and general interest, though I'm not into historicals myself (though I have a bunch of historical minis).

>>43937757
Yeah what I thought. Thanks, anyway.
>>
>>43937757
Interesting. I never knew it wasn't just freehand. I have some new techniques to try apparently.
>>
>>43903248
>>43899457
Check these out
http://www.ironhands.com/mord1.htm
http://www.ironhands.com/mordfoun.htm
>>
>>43932327
Elves gain +1 to hit with all weapons. Combined with innately high WS, Elves generally hit most enemies on 2+ or 3+.

With great weapons and other items that reduce the wielder to initiative 0, the +1 bonus is lost, but instead of +1 the wielder can swing great weapons at initiative. Executioners are I5 Great weapons and jesus christ that's scary.
>>
Why does the Elven dragons look like Chinese dragons? I don't really like this design. I don't think the Wood Elf army and this dragons fit each other. What do you think?
>>
>>43941528
I'm into it
>>
>>43941528

Pretty the way dragons are depicted in Fantasy is how they were historically depicted, being more serpent like in appearance.
>>
>>43941528
Serpent like dragons make more sense for getting through forrests i guess
>>
>>43919835
>That filename

my nigga
>>
>>43919835
>>43942276
Best elf is this one imo.
>>
>>43942434
he looks like blonde Elrond

really hope they'll re-release this model in plastic. apart from being awesome, he'd find use in many conversions. nice base pose.
>>
File: Collage.jpg (2 MB, 4752x2680) Image search: [Google]
Collage.jpg
2 MB, 4752x2680
>>43899457
>>43903248
Made some more.
>>
Can some anon help me find (or produce for me, if they're really awesome) a list of all the factions that have ever been available (i.e. had their own army lists), and if possible, where I could find them? I'm looking for old and weird stuff, especially, like Slann, Zoats, Fimir, and Gnomes.
>>
>>43943222
>like Slann, Zoats, Fimir, and Gnomes.
If you add pygmies, chaos dwarves and dogs of war along with the 'big' ones that had books before AoS, I think you got them all.
>>
>>43943222
>>43943391
Oh and maybe a few odd army lists from WD if you are being super thorough.
Stuff like Zombie Pirates of Sartosa and the chosen hatchings or whatever you call them for Lizardmen.
>>
>>43942623
not bad

post moar
>>
>>43943222
I think the first 2 editions rulebooks are what you are looking for, the PDF are in the mega link in the op
>>
so, I have this idea
I could probably do it, if there's any interest

basically it's a little program/app, that plays certain sounds on a press of a button.

you hit "infantry move" as you prepare to move your infantry and there's sound of marching feet

you hit "empire cavalry charge" and you hear the thud of hooves and battlecries in hitlerspeak

you hit "archers shoot" and there's whistiling of arrows, hit it again, and there are cries of the dying

it would be something very simple and obviously free, since I'd just borrow sound files from various vidya games

would this be of any use for any anons here?
>>
>>43944233
>hitlerspeak
Seriously?

And the word you are looking for is soundboard.
>>
>>43944301
>And the word you are looking for is soundboard.
ah, so my idea's ain't new? too bad.

still, ain't seen anyone use them in wargames
>>
are ranged weapons even worth it in Mordheim vydia? my skaven hero couldn't hit an elephant at point blank range with his pistols
>>
>>43944233
Funny, maybe not really useful or needed, but definitely something I could see myself downloading and joking with at my group.

You may as well wait for total war warhammer to give you all the sound files needed instead of patching them from various games though.
>>
>>43944657
Nope. Haven't found a use for them.

On that note, am I the only one who finds the vidya to be completely off with the feeling of what mordheim is? Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but it's not mordheim. At least not the one I remember.

Bump with more terrain. Working on a centrepiece.
>>
>>43944769
with my coding skills it will take me about that much time to finish anyway, heh

>>43944805
meh. gonna use warplock pistols anyway, because warplock pistols are cool in any case. and you don't pick skaven for reliability
>>
File: image.jpg (170 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170 KB, 1000x1333
>>43944805
Derp. Forgot picture.
>>
File: image.jpg (206 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
206 KB, 1000x1333
Working on the walls now
>>
File: image.jpg (227 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227 KB, 1000x1333
Decided on building the outer walls one by one for added effect.
>>
File: 1362883101765.jpg (138 KB, 352x338) Image search: [Google]
1362883101765.jpg
138 KB, 352x338
1 hour 30 painting tutorial with our boy Duncan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34L2g_b3oY0
>>
What are the strengths and weaknesses of white primer vs. black primer?
>>
>>43946227
White primer is great if you're gonna have brighter colours, as it means less layers to get the "pop" as you don't have to cover the dark black. Also useful for things with many white parts (eg I paint my skeletons for VC by doing a white primer, Nuln Oil wash and then some drybrush highlights with those dark brown/greens.)

Black is the usual go to for painting as it allows really easy shadow to appear. Using the above skeleton example, prime black, drybrush white/skull and then wash and bam.

Use both, depending on colour scheme and desired outcome. Priming grey is useful for a model mixing both light and darker colours.
>>
Rules question!

When I charge, can I skip the free wheel if it would lower the amount of models in base contact? Can I just move up my unit and have less models fighting? The rules say that you "may" wheel and if you do, you "must" maximize, but what if I don't wheel?
>>
File: wp_ss_20151202_0001.png (231 KB, 576x304) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20151202_0001.png
231 KB, 576x304
>>43946917
To complete a charge you must reach base contact with as much models as possible, wheeling is just one way to achieve that.

So no, you can't do that; if wheeling allow you to reach combat with more models you have to do it.
>>
9th age news:
>Already at this very early stage of game development T9A has been contacted by a number of model manufacturing companies expressing interest in manufacturing models to support T9A. To this end, for those reputable companies that contact us and are interested in supplying models, we will create a list Cooperating Companies that will be supplied early release information relating to various new units/characters/monsters to be added. This information will be supplied at very early stages of design/development so as to allow the time needed to create the sculptures, generate the molds and produce the miniatures that will represent the new units/characters/monsters. To be clear, T9A is not a model manufacturing company and will not be affiliated with any of the Cooperating Companies. However, we will allow the various Cooperating Companies to advertise on T9A website to make it easy for players to see where they can buy models representative of the units/characters/monsters contained in the rules.

Of course I think utopian to believe that they will be able to replace gw due to technical and copyright restrictions, but at least it is a start for something more than nothing.
>>
>>43947085
Wow this is serious. There are some good model manufacturers out there! I hope they would try to emulate GW's models in scale and proportions though.

Also I think 9th Age guys should try to make up better fake names for units and use more of the original non-copyrightable names.
>>
>>43935418
Sounds like it is, but I won't bother with actually counting
>>
>>43887897
How long did it take them to sell the limited 500 copy special edition again?

Nine months?
>>
>>43947846
they did not sell it at all. just pulled from the webshop after like 4 months of embarassment, there was no sold out page like it happens with every other thing that actually sells out
>>
File: QWDqawdwQ.jpg (66 KB, 639x444) Image search: [Google]
QWDqawdwQ.jpg
66 KB, 639x444
WE
>>
File: d2q3er.jpg (85 KB, 620x877) Image search: [Google]
d2q3er.jpg
85 KB, 620x877
WUZ
>>
File: KINGZNSHIZ.png (75 KB, 220x281) Image search: [Google]
KINGZNSHIZ.png
75 KB, 220x281
>>
>>43948422
>tfw torn between getting a Skaven battalion or Tomb Kings.

Had to grab ratmen in the end because you got more for the cost, but those Tomb Kings have some really fun looking rules.
>>
>>43948653
Im struggling with stopping myself from collecting three or four armies at once because i feel the need for plastic crack
>>
>>43948705
I did originally promise myself a year or two back that when I started this hobby i'd limit myself to one Fantasy and one 40k army, yeah good luck keeping that promise lol.
>>
>>43941528
I hate Warhammer dragons with a passion. All of the ones I've ever fielded, regardless of army, have been converted from other games or action figures, like McFarlane's Dragons.

It's all one woman's fault too. I forget her name but she sculpts all of the dragons in GW and Forge World's catalogs. Her taste is awful.
>>
>>43943222
Gnomes? This is the first I've heard of gnomes being in Fantasy.

>>43944805
>Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but it's not mordheim. At least not the one I remember.
Can you explain what's wrong?
>>
>>43947085
This concerns me. If I wanted to play Kings of War I would play Kings of War. What I want from 9th Age is a quality, flavorful rule set to use in place of 8th Edition. I do not want new fluff. I do not want new models. I do not want a story.

I may just go with Endhammer at this point.
>>
>>43949367
Trish into the trash it goes Carden or whatever name she got after the divorce.

It's not just dragons, the god awful manticore and the skinny dread saurian too are her fault, the toothless hydra and the derp cold ones may be too if I'm not mistaken.

She got 2 good sculpts in her life: The metal carnosaur and elsphet's dragon, but even this last one I feel was lacking.

I still wonder why she wasn't kicked out of the studio after all this crap.
>>
>>43949723
Never liked the dread saurian myself.

Anyone knows who made the new DE cold ones? These ones are great.
>>
>>43949455

It's not like that is not the idea still
>>
File: CANCERSPOOKER1.jpg (24 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
CANCERSPOOKER1.jpg
24 KB, 720x405
Hey fa/tg/uys its the poor skeleton painter again, This time with added bad.

Glad I made these two poor skeletons test paint subjects but at least now I know what I need to really do. Tried to make the shield and sword look rusty but I think its come out more wood like than rust

Any suggestions for the rust side of things? The guy at the local GW said they will look fine after I base them and make the base swampy looking and since I am doing 100+ not to worry too much about the normal skeletons only my champ, banner and musicians
>>
File: CANCERSPOOKER2.1.jpg (31 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
CANCERSPOOKER2.1.jpg
31 KB, 960x540
>>43949873
>>
>>43949763
His majesty, the based, lord of clean concepts, father of marines and eldar, Jes Goodwin
>>
File: CANCERSPOOKER2.jpg (20 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
CANCERSPOOKER2.jpg
20 KB, 720x405
>>43949892
>>
>>43949917
>>43949892
>>43949873
I think they are pretty nice, something I could imagine easily coming out of a swamp.
Maybe
what they need is just a bit more focus on the junctures where rust would appear first, spreading the rust along multiple small lines and spots instead of homogenous coverings, and some eye-catching color, like brighter bones on just skull and front of the chest to attract the attention there amid all the neutral tones and/or just some lines of turquoise colored rust here and there.

But, really, I am not a good painter, I may be saying bullshit.
>>
>>43949873
>>43949892
>>43949917

he looks good and spooky, but he needs another colors, something more than white and brown

maybe giving him glowing eyes?
>>
File: 1445250529304.jpg (111 KB, 864x462) Image search: [Google]
1445250529304.jpg
111 KB, 864x462
>>43950236
>>43950236
I get what you mean, I think when it comes to my other skeletons I will do it on the rim and edges of shields and tops of swords etc, Thanks man

>>43951037
>>43951037
Just tried it now with some green and uhh think I might need a smaller brush because that nearly ended in a fucking accidental face paint. Not too sure if I should do it a shining red, green or purple because they seem "Necromantic". I was thinking either Green or Purple

Thanks /whfb/ I honestly thought I would get slaughtered posting my low tier painting skills
>>
>>43936862
Hey it's nice to be honest.
>>
>>43949401
>Gnomes? This is the first I've heard of gnomes being in Fantasy.

They even had a PC generation for 1st Ed. WFRP. They've been in it for a while, but always an extremely tiny part.
>>
>>43949723

>>I still wonder why she wasn't kicked out of the studio after all this crap.

Hasn't she been there from the beginning?
>>
>>43953176
>but always an extremely tiny part.
Booooo
>>
What do competitive Empire lists look like
>>
File: Pride and Consequence.jpg (1 MB, 2630x845) Image search: [Google]
Pride and Consequence.jpg
1 MB, 2630x845
>>43954246
I don't know all the details but these are a list of rules I gleaned from the Empire community forums.

>Greatswords should have General, Standard of Discipline, and be 25-30 strong.
>Warrior Priests should sit in the biggest block of State Troopers to give mass Hatred
>Detachments should be 15-20 strong
>Combat characters are best with Armor of Meteoric Iron, Full Plate Armor, White Cloak, Silver Armor in that order
>Combat characters with I5 or less are good candidates for Great Weapons because they already swing last
>Spearmen are for receiving charges, Halberdiers are for giving them
>State Trooper command is 30 points, whereas a Warrior Priest is only 60 and does much the same
>Mace of Helstrum should go on a WP or Witch Hunter to turn them into a “cannon on a stick”
>>
a friend of mine really wants to get into 9th age but im not sold on it yet what major changes have occured
>>
>>43955614
There are a lot. Have you checked out their webpage? Just from a cursory overview they have focused on restoring balance and flavor to the game. Things like ASF are gone entirely while old rules, units, and formations have been reintroduced. For example Lizardmen have their special spawnings back. 9th Age isn't concerned with selling models*, just making a fun and flavorful ruleset.

*they announced yesterday or today that they will be making models soon
>>
>>43948705
>>43948765
You know, it's funny. When I first started getting back into tabletop games back in 2007 I thought it was retarded to purchase more than one army per game. I figured it would be much smarter to experience multiple universes, many kinds of gameplay, etc. But now I really understand the lure of multiple armies. Each faction is so unique and views the world through a different lens. And why risk another world when you know the one you're in has so much to offer? Yeah new systems can be fun but man, I'd rather have multiple armies.
>>
>>43952349
>Thanks /whfb/ I honestly thought I would get slaughtered posting my low tier painting skills
You should see my output. I think you've got real skill.
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 600x800
New guy here, wanting to build a Skaven army, is Island of Blood my best bet for a starter? And can I use my army for age of sigmar if I wanted?
>>
>>43958247
Age of Sigmar does not have army composition rules. You can use whatever you want.

For WHFB you should definitely get your hands on Island of Blood. The advice I used to give (that I followed myself) was to buy a new box, keep the Skaven/rulebook/dice/etc, and sell the HE in order to break even. Now I'm not certain if you'd still be able to do that. I think so? You should check eBay and compare prices on HE first.

IoB will not build you a legal army in 8th edition. You need more core. Plan on buying more clanrats/slaves from eBay or wherever, though, and you should be good to go. Check out the Skaven fanforum, the Underempire. They've got a tremendous community that's full of information.
>>
File: dnd the cartoon cast retarded.jpg (54 KB, 432x338) Image search: [Google]
dnd the cartoon cast retarded.jpg
54 KB, 432x338
I think charge redirection is dumb and unrealistic, but it's almost the most important tactic that defines the game. Do you think it should be removed on changed in some way?
>>
>>43959642
What's so important about it?
I don't think I've ever seen it used
>>
>>43959682
I'm new to the game but I got an impression it almost was the only maneuver you could do to set up flank charges, and generally disrupt unit movement.

I knew about it when a friend taught me to play HE. I thought it was dumb and cheesy. I had it used against me in my first game in years and it didn't feel great. I mean I could deal with it, but I just don't like it conceptually.
>>
>>43958003
>they announced yesterday or today that they will be making models soon
Technically it's not them who will make models, but other companies who would release stuff specifically intended to be used in the 9th age; like they would have used to do with warhammer fantasy, except that this time they would get information ahead of what's getting introduced as new thing in an armybook.
>>
>>43959831
We don't need new things, do we? We need alternative models for units that already exist in GW range.
>>
Anyone know a good site for getting bits from? There's some neat stuff on hoard 'O bits, and I was wondering if anyone knew if they were legit.
>>
>>43959803
>>43959682
It is very important, sometimes the only purpose of a unit is to redirect charges. I'm not, however, sure how I feel about it...
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 69

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.