[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A balrog of Morgoth shows up in your campaign. How fucked are you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 16
File: Poster_3.jpg (133 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Poster_3.jpg
133 KB, 1024x768
A balrog of Morgoth shows up in your campaign. How fucked are you?
>>
>>43876555
A Sorceror King could take him. So only a very large amount.

Nice trips, by the way.
>>
>>43876589

>a sorceror king could take him
>despite being able to take out another demi-god tier being

Nah
>>
>>43876622
The Sorceror kings are pretty damn Beefy. The king in question'd probably die too. And a lot of innocent civilians, probably slaves, but hey, it's dark sun. Borys could manage it sufficiently, if anyone.
>>
File: Exterminatus3.jpg (75 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
Exterminatus3.jpg
75 KB, 750x600
>>43876555
We nuke it from orbit.
>>
File: ArhdevilSnow.png (302 KB, 950x800) Image search: [Google]
ArhdevilSnow.png
302 KB, 950x800
>>43876555
Not a whole lot.
>>
>>43876555
It shall not pass.
>>
File: choo.jpg (34 KB, 750x349) Image search: [Google]
choo.jpg
34 KB, 750x349
>>43876555
>tell rest of the party to flee
>solo it
>keep loot/XP to myself
>show up next session with fancy robes/new staff/new title
>>
>>43876555
By themselves? Utterly.
However they have powerful allies.
>>
File: 1388980363628.jpg (2 KB, 120x117) Image search: [Google]
1388980363628.jpg
2 KB, 120x117
>>43876989

>>43876555
My current campaign consists of four Halflings, an Elf and a Dwarf, so they'd all leg it.
>>
>>43876555
That depends. Does it have wings?
>>
>>43876555
Our resident sorcerer asks it to wank him off, we then all die. Worth.
>>
Balrog Vs Disruptor rifle

I'm gonna have to go with the disruptor rifle.
Failing that we've got a ship in orbit that will certainly ruin the thing's day.
>>
>>43877244

This pleb thinks the Shadow and Flame can be destroyed with mortal weapons.
>>
They've already killed a pit fiend and a greater pit fiend, so they could probably take a balrog.
>>
>>43877387
That's what they said about The Founders.
>>
>>43877387
There's nothing that can't be killed when you peel it apart molecule by molecule.
>>
>>43877244
You realize that a Balrog is pretty much demi-god tier, right? Your expensive laser pointer's just going to draw its attention.
>>
>>43877545
Maiar often have bodies that can be destroyed with mundane force, and disintegration isn't very mundane at any rate.
>>
>>43877595

The body may be destroyed, but mortal weapons won't kill it. It will just reform.
>>
>>43877512

You think a fucking fallen angel is gonna give a shit about you shooting at it? Even if you tear it down at a molecular level, it doesn't give a fuck. It's a spirit, it'll reform.

The only reason Gandalf killed the Balrog was that he banished the evil Maia when he kicked it in the dick. Your gun isn't gonna do shit to it.
>>
>>43876555
>Lv. 3 Warlock, Ranger, Wizard and Cleric
We're dead.
>>
>>43877717
I think you're taking this all a little bit personally.
>>
>>43877776

You think wrong.
>>
>>43877512
>thinking demigods are made of molecules
>>
>>43876555
Out of question, how powerful was this dude in GW's LOTR Table top game?
>>
>>43876555
Not fucked at all.

Balrogs weren't shit compared to a lot of stuff that was hanging around in the First Age. Feanor fought an entire army of the fuckers, and didn't die until the big poobah Balrog himself showed up to the party.

The powerlevel of our campaign isn't quite First Age tier, but then, it's only a single Balrog.
>>
>>43876555
d-does he want to bang?
'cause he'd definitely wow my barbarian
>>
>>43876555

Since I'm running a Wrath of the Righteous campaign with my roommates, the party is pretty much equipped to slay all sorts of demons. Of course, it's gonna be hell to kill it, but I would think the party would prevail in the end.
>>
>>43877162
Nice try, troll.
>>
>>43876555
We're Black Crusade.

Balrog's fucked.
>>
>>43878099

are you big guys?
>>
My 1st Ed. Daemonslayer is going to have a hell of a lot of fun, whatever happens.
>>
>>43878125
Everybody is a Chaos Space Marine Veteran of the Long War. We've got a tzeentch sorcerer specked in telekinetic attacks a champion of khorne with a daemon weapon and a guy packing a grav gun. Should do the job just fine.
>>
>>43876555
I roll to seduce it.
>>
>>43876555

Haha. So fucked. Our party is like level 7, and dysfunctional as fuck. Our Rogue would bolt instantly (like he does every time there is trouble), the Wizard would try to help and fail, our Cleric would spend the next 2 hours pondering what his god would want him to do. Our That Guy would probably attack me. Our Fighter would be a bro and join me, as my noble-born Barbarian draws his greatsword and rushes towards certain death with a laughter and a song on his lips. The Balrog then proceeds to murderfuck all party members it can get to. Only one who wins is my chracter for getting a heroic death he's been looking for.
>>
File: Celestial.png (2 MB, 1280x934) Image search: [Google]
Celestial.png
2 MB, 1280x934
Seeing as my party is low leveled and I'm a nice GM, I'll probably fling in some Celestials who come in to save them from certain death. Celestials in my campaign are like the super-hero demon slayers of the world so it'll be practical that they show up. I'll probably give each of them a divine charm or two because they survived and use this an an excuse to get their main missions started.
>>
File: IMG_0771.png (678 KB, 789x519) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0771.png
678 KB, 789x519
>>43876555
i don't know.
>>
>>43877705
>It will just reform.

No, destroying a Maiar's physical body catastrophically fucks the spirit and it will in all likelihood never be able to reform.

>>43877717
There isn't anything about banishment in Middle Earth, at least not pertaining to spirits you killed recently.
>>
>>43879275
>No, destroying a Maiar's physical body catastrophically fucks the spirit and it will in all likelihood never be able to reform.

Tell that to sauron after G-d sank the island he was on. Sure he came back ugly, but he was able to make a new body.
>>
>>43879352
Turns out putting the bulk of your power in an artifact is a good idea unless it breaks, apparently. Though no one knows how his ring got onto land.
>>
>>43876555
>assuming we wouldn't become huge friends.

That's some pretty harsh racism there OP.
Balrogs are nice folk. :3
>>
>>43880119
>Balrogs are nice folk. :3

I want to be ur precious
>>
>>43879352

>Tell that to sauron after G-d sank the island he was on.

Yeah, when not!God tells you to never set foot on the Undying Lands HE FUCKING WELL DOESN'T WANT YOU TO GO NEAR THE FUCKING UNDYING LANDS.

Also, the fall of Numenor fucked Sauron up. He was NEVER able to take the form he took when he was manipulating the Kings of Numenor, he was forever restricted to that of the Burning Eye and the Burly Dude with a badass Mace.
>>
>>43876555
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WobWDGD-PTw
>>
>>43880285
yeah but that armour was awesome, bar the whole "exposed ring" bit
>>
PF team wins, smite evil for days and optimised DPR types at higher levels.

5e team gets gets gobbled, barely level 5 all around.
>>
>>43877916
>an entire army of the fuckers
Only a small handful of Balrogs ever existed. All references to large numbers of Balrogs predate Tolkien's decision to make Balrogs fallen Maiar.
>>
>>43880285
The "Eye of Sauron" is a metaphor/heraldic symbol. He was never literally a floating eyeball.
>>
File: Sad_Balrog.jpg (285 KB, 826x630) Image search: [Google]
Sad_Balrog.jpg
285 KB, 826x630
>>43880166
>>43880119
>>
>>43880757
Its not remotely clear that making them fallen Maiar was his reason for wanting to reduce their number. In addition, some of the storyline would not make sense if there were only 7 or however many balrogs, like the Valar battle.

There were a number of revisions Tolkien *wanted* to do to ME but never completed.
>>
Moderately to severely fucked. The one guy with a weapon that could probably hurt/kill it is a bit too weak to wield it. I do assume bopping him on the head with a hammer charged with divine lightning would cause problems for him
>>
>>43876555
Oh good, the summoning worked! Now just stay out of Horny's way there, the spell should last long enough we only need to mop up the Avatar's forces after our big nasty friend returns to his home. If he doesn't kill the Avatar... then we have problems.
>>
>>43881408
>Its not remotely clear that making them fallen Maiar was his reason for wanting to reduce their number.
All references to armies of Balrogs still only appear in very early pre-LotR drafts of the legendarium, before they underwent a number of changes (only 3-7 ever existed, they're about the size of humans, they're fallen Maiar, etc.) which all seem to have happened around the same time.

>In addition, some of the storyline would not make sense if there were only 7 or however many balrogs, like the Valar battle.
I'm not sure what "the Valar battle" is referring to or why the existence of only 3-7 Balrogs would contradict that.
>>
>>43876555
The Devah Summoner calls it by it's true name, and tells it to go the fuck home, before she decides it would look better inside her pendant.

The balorg goes the fuck home, because that crazy bitch has a Greater Ashura Oni bound in her mask, and a Lord of the Dead in her dress.

The GM wonders why I even bothered when I knew the outcome.
>>
>>43877387
You don't need anything fancy to kill a balrog. Historically, a mountain side for them to be smote upon is sufficient.
>>
>>43883475
Dude, Knights of Britannia have to slay a Balrog just to become knights. If The Avatar loses, I will be surprised

(btw, Lord British is an asshole)
>>
>>43881408
There's not reason to believe the Valar had numerous non-maiar, non-sentient servants they used to assail Utumno, Melkor likely had the same. It's not strictly necessary to interpret such beings as existing, but it certainly makes it easier to conceive of pre-first age armies, since only a small number of maiar are ever named or acknowledged to exist.
>>
File: horned reaper.jpg (45 KB, 685x300) Image search: [Google]
horned reaper.jpg
45 KB, 685x300
>>43883726
Knights of where? Never heard of them.
>>
>>43883767
*no reason not to

Jesus
>>
>>43876555
Fuck you Balrog! I have a Stand, bet you can't see-
>It's heat based
...fucked. Definitely fucked.
>>
>>43883726
spoony pls
>>
>>43883960
WTF

People shouldn't be allowed to comment on what I say!

Anyone who disagree with my opinion should be BANNED FOR LIFE!!!!
>>
File: Takin'TheBait.jpg (16 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
Takin'TheBait.jpg
16 KB, 500x501
>>43884167
Go ahead and call the mods! They can't un-trigger you!
>>
>>43876555
>How fucked are you?
Depends.
How lewd is the Balrog?
>>
>>43883687

Yeah, because the smiter in question was a FUCKING ANGEL.
>>
>>43876989
He told them to fly.

It's pretty clear he wanted them to find the Eagles and ask for a ride.
>>
>>43883813
SO how's EA treating you? Run out of lube yet?
>>
Not even remotely.
>>
>Kill the fucking stupid bibliomancer responsible
>if that didn't end the spell, get the hell out of there before the tiger wakes, and then wait for the dust to settle when the army's dealt with it.
>bonus stupid idea: catch the defeated balrog's spirit in a bottle after it's dead, sell it to a powerful avatar of the merchant for cool shit
>>
Campaign 1: Well, we're kind of fucked. We're too low level to kill it, but if he starts acting like a BBEG we should have, in ordinary fashion, JUST enough time to level up and kill him.

Campaign 2: We're fucked. The nation we're in is fucked. The world is fucked, unless he's not magically immune to fear, in which case he'll be instantly killed the same way we suffered a TPK. Nothing of value will be lost either way.
>>
>>43879039
You seem to be lost. This is /tg/. The OP is asking about your RPG campaign, not the last videogame you played.
>>
>>43879352

God. God. God. God. God. God. God. God. God. God. God. God. God. God. God. God. God.
>>
>>43887674

Bitch, you are fucking tripping if you think anyone in the Unknown Armies setting could handle a Balrog.
>>
>>43887617

>Implying lube isn't a $4.99 microtransaction
>>
File: 062Poliwrath.png (101 KB, 431x431) Image search: [Google]
062Poliwrath.png
101 KB, 431x431
>>43876555
A creature of fire and darkness, huh? Water and Fighting will make short work of you!
>>
File: Balrog.jpg (93 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Balrog.jpg
93 KB, 800x800
>>43876555
>low int high str monk who does nothing but punch everything real damned hard

We'll fight for the title!
>>
>>43887813
It's only as strong as the bibliomancer that summoned it. If all else fails, get a bibliomancer to summon gandalf and let them have at it.
>>
>>43887836
This would be sort of amusing, had the OP not used 'Balrog of Morgoth' specifically.
Good effort, I guess?
>>
>>43887841
What part a low int you not understandin?
>>
>>43887838

Logical fallacy. You're assuming a Bibliomanticly summoned Balrog. You justifying it internally with the setting.

That's not the case.

This isn't the result of some sperger getting his jollies off summoning literary demons.

This is just a Balrog of Morgoth.

Enjoy your quick death.
>>
>there were only 7 balrogs ever
HHHHHHHHHHNGHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>43876555
Does anyone else see the McDonald's logo in his mouth?
>>
>>43887597
.... I fuckin' hate that meme.
>>
File: Baalrukh.png (568 KB, 609x839) Image search: [Google]
Baalrukh.png
568 KB, 609x839
>>43887960
>.... I fuckin' hate that meme.
>Can't tell the difference between a meme and a half-baked theory.

Also, tfw all I know of Balrogs comes from either the movies, WFRP's cheap rip, or this place.
>>
>>43888010
it's a meme you dip
>>
>>43876555
Well I have a 13th level Paladin infiltrating the Worldwound specifically to assassinate the Stormking.

This is my fucking goal, and as long as I can hold onto 2 smites that day; this fucker is toast.
>>
>>43888024
>>A meme (/ˈmiːm/ meem) is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".

Fills most of the qualities except that last point.

>>within a culture

The idea that Gandalf was referring to the Eagles in his 'Fly you fool' is popular amongst fucking anyone who has ever read the books or seen the movie. It's hardly a meme.
>>
>>43888073
it is a meme
>>
>>43887810
Joke's on you. People who avoid writing out God (usually observant Jews) do so to avoid using his name in vain, not because they (necessarily) care all that much about someone else writing it.
>>
File: tumblr_nuaob3dgLX1sfo1z9o5_1280.jpg (229 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuaob3dgLX1sfo1z9o5_1280.jpg
229 KB, 1280x720
>>43876555
>Setting is end of 19th century in Northern Not-America with Metal Gearesk lore and story

A balrog showing up is basically like fighting a Metal Gear, so I just send the local not-cowboy-big boss and his team to fight it, thus recreating the fight with Sahelanthropus.

Doesn't mean they would win tho.
>>
>>43888073
Do you know what a culture is?
>>
>>43876555
>A Balrog of Morgoth
Tell me, where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him
>>
>>43888089

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

>>43876555

A Balrog is probably around the level of a Daemon Prince, yeah?

If we made a concentrated effort, our Rogue Trader and crew could probably put together a plan to end it permanently.

If we controlled the field of engagement, we should be okay. But if it surprised us, I wouldn't be hopeful.
>>
>>43888140

culture
ˈkʌltʃə/
noun
noun: culture; plural noun: cultures

the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.
"20th century popular culture"
synonyms: the arts, the humanities; More
intellectual achievement(s), intellectual activity;
literature, music, painting, philosophy
"20th century popular culture"
a refined understanding or appreciation of culture.
"men of culture"
synonyms: intellectual/artistic awareness, education, cultivation, enlightenment, discernment, discrimination, good taste, taste, refinement, polish; More
sophistication, urbanity, urbaneness;
erudition, learning, letters;
belles-lettres
"a man of culture"
the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.
"Afro-Caribbean culture"
synonyms: civilization, society, way of life, lifestyle; More

The internet is open to...fucking anyone with internet access. It's not a particular group or society. It's open to everyone, anywhere who can get access. It is a melting pot of every other society, but it is not one in and of itself.

Who the fuck would say 'Oh yes, I come from the Internet Society'?

>>43876555

Low level nWoD Mage game. So very, very fucked. But it might make the populace wake up and realise weird shit is going on out there.
>>
>>43888209
the world is also open to anyone. you're free to travel
>>
>>43888236
Which is why no one ever considers the entire human population a single culture.
>>
>>43877512
I'm fairly sure this is a case of "It's not made of molecules because it's a fucking fallen angel or something"
>>
>>43888236
>>43888024
>>43887960
>>43888089

Confirmed for idiot.
>>
>>43888274
nice mass reply meme
>>
>>43888278
>>43888274

I'm curious, did he miss any?
>>
>>43888209
Fun fact: ideas can - and, in fact, tend to be - exchanged among adherents of different cultures. You'd have to travel to the most remote corner of the Earth and get in touch with the most primitive of all tribes imaginable to find a culture that hasn't been influenced by other cultures and even then you're hardly guaranteed to actually have such a thing (if it even exists at all) at your hands.
>>
>>43888309

I don't think he'd disagree with you there. I think his point is that said tribes would all be different cultures. And that while cultures can certainly share traits, that doesn't make them the same culture.
>>
>>43888323

Come to think of it, if you had two societies that did cross-pollinate into one you'd consider that to be three separate cultures at play there. The original two and the third that they made together.

Best example I can think of - The Czech Republic, Slovakia and Czechoslovakia.
>>
"Why didn't they just fly with the eagles to Mordor" is most definitely a meme - it's an idea that's spread quite a bit, mostly among those that haven't read the books (Silmarillion in particular). It's also a pretty dumb one given all the reasons that they COULDN'T (or shouldn't) do so, all of which Gandalf would know better than anyone.

Even leaving aside the Nazgûl's flying beasts and the entire thing being a stealth mission, the Eagles aren't exactly beholden to anyone except Manwë and could be as easily corrupted by the Ring as anyone else.

"Fly, you fools!" doesn't make sense in context if you take "fly" literally - especially since the rest of the party don't seem that knowledgeable about the Eagles. That it can also be read as "don't stand around gawking, run away you dumb fuckers" just seals it.

>>43888343
The American "Melting Pot" might be a good example as well, I think?
>>
>>43888353
>The American "Melting Pot" might be a good example as well, I think?

Spot on, actually. American culture changes over time and can be identified by different standard and ideas. I mean, when you imagine 1920s America it's a massively different culture to 1970s America.
>>
>>43888353
>>"Why didn't they just fly with the eagles to Mordor" is most definitely a meme

That's been a theory that's existed since the books were originally released.

It was never a GOOD theory, to be fair, but it's not a new one. It's just regained popularity because of the recent movies.

Saying it's a meme because it's becoming more prominent in the mainstream public is like saying the Theory of Evolution is a meme in America.
>>
>>43888388
>Saying it's a meme because it's becoming more prominent in the mainstream public is like saying the Theory of Evolution is a meme in America.
It is, though! All the great "Isms", so to say.

Memes aren't just a thing on the internet, you know. They're shared ideas - chickens crossing roads are a meme, but so is "incest is bad" and, well, the Theory of Evolution.

Sometimes the idea is correct, sometimes it isn't.
>>
>>43888454
>>Memes aren't just a thing on the internet, you know. They're shared ideas - chickens crossing roads are a meme, but so is "incest is bad" and, well, the Theory of Evolution.

At it's core a meme is just bit of information.

That's fucking it.

Calling something a theory a meme is like calling a bowl of ravioli a collection of atoms. It's technically correct, but you're being a retard for describing it as such.
>>
>>43888388
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/frodo-plot-hole
>>
>>43888575
Except the original discussion was sparked by someone complaining that the whole "why didn't they just have some fucking eagle drop the ring into the volcano" meme is tiresome and needs to die and someone lacking education on the subject claiming that you couldn't call something a meme anymore once it's crossed cultural borders.
>>
>>43888624
>Updated 4 years ago by Amantite.

You know the books came out in the mid '50s right? And the question has existed since then?

It's a popular fan theory. Not a viral meme. The question can be arrived at by anyone who has read the book or seen the movie. It doesn't need exposure to propagate.
>>
>>43888643
>subject claiming that you couldn't call something a meme anymore once it's crossed cultural borders

I thought the argument was that using the term 'meme' was incorrect? And that in popular parlance the term 'meme' has evolved from referring to any 'unit of culture' to a specific 'viral meme' like "Can haz cheeseburger"?

Calling an old theory a meme is just...dumb. Like calling the theory of gravity a meme.
>>
>>43888643

>>'Calling something you don't like a meme' meme.
>>
>Mutants & Masterminds

I think we'll be fine.
>>
>Be Deathwatch
>Space Wolf, Dark Angel, Crimson Fist and Imperial Fist
>Deployed to fight Chaos Cultists on some backwater
>They summoning Daemons so it's a problem
>Deploy alongside 2 IG Regiments because Inquisitor made them
>Fighting Cultists
>Finally kill them all and banish a fuck ton of Khorneate Daemons
>Barely alive
>IG is super fucked
>Suddenly some giant ass Flaming Bloodthirster Motherfucker shows up

Such is life in Deathwatch
>>
>>43887281
Elves manage to get by just fine. Gandalf's amazing feat was his endurance, not anything special about his elvish sword, or the mundane body he was confined to.
>>
>>43888073
>The idea that Gandalf was referring to the Eagles in his 'Fly you fool' is popular amongst fucking anyone who has ever read the books or seen the movie.

Just no. It takes mere seconds of googling to see why anybody with a moderately correct recollection of the text doesn't buy that bullshit.
>>
>>43887240

see

>>43881022
>>
>>43880119
Our dm once introduced the "Palrog". A balrog made of friendship rather than shadow and flame. His friendship was strong enough to open dimension doors. We got befriended. Scarier than an actual balrog.
>>
>>43876555
I'm the DM so I guess it's my fault to begin with.
>>
>>43887617
To soon Anon.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.