[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Traveller Versions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1391748882121.png (28 KB, 702x491) Image search: [Google]
1391748882121.png
28 KB, 702x491
Want to look into traveller. What are the big differences between the various versions? I would appreciate some depth in answers.
>>
>>43872250
Come the fuck on, Virt.
Traveller too? Do you not have a job or something?
>>
>>43872135
OP again,

The GURPS version isn't out of the question, though I'm really not very familiar with GURPS.
>>
>>43872360
Thanksgiving was two days ago dude.
It's Saturday now.
>>
>>43872360
>he doesn't deny being virt

MODS
>>
>>43872382
Traveller uses a really simplistic 2d6+modifier system to roll, so it's easier to learn then Candyland.
Ship Design is where it gets really clunky and numbers crunchy (which is why Traveller General threads are all about ship design usually), and the quality of supplements is all over the place; some are great and helpful, some are useless, some perplex you as to why they exist.
Mongoose Traveller's supplements are getting updated now because many of them were wildly divergent from one another and they're bringing them into a more organized format now.

Oh, and it's REALLY easy to die.
Getting shot hurts like a motherfucker even with armor (though the new edition of Mongoose Traveller is just slightly better at that) and the best way to engage multiple enemies is to not fight them at all or have multiple applies yourself, so don't be thinking you can Commander Shepard your way through entire armies.
Planet generation is fun and relatively fast too, though you'll discover swiftly that Earth-like worlds are the best for Earth-like life and cultures, which perhaps is unsurprising.
And you will be paying off your spaceship's mortgage for the rest of your natural lives.
>>
>>43872453
He even brings up Savage Worlds almost immediately.
I swear, it's like he doesn't even try to disguise his posts, it's ridiculous.
>>
File: Don't make me tap the sign.jpg (70 KB, 425x312) Image search: [Google]
Don't make me tap the sign.jpg
70 KB, 425x312
>>43872135
The only versions I've played have been Mongoose and 5e, so those are the only ones I can give a good explanation of. I've heard that classic is alright, and that the GURPS version has some strengths, particularly with trading.

Mongoose version is 2d6 apply mods, roll under 8. It does the DnD thing of having stat numbers and modifiers, which I don't particularly like. Also, since it's Mongoose, only the core is good, and they kept the core fairly trimmed-down.

5e is (difficulty)d6 roll under stat+skill. The rulebook is a bit of a clusterfuck, as they decided to take the GURPS route of giving you the rules for everything in case you need them. It's also in dire need of a decent editor, but the errata clarifies most of the worst bits.Player-side, it's much simpler, but it can be overwhelming for a GM.
>>
>>43872483
No, you were trashing it. There is a difference.

Your past posts indicate no acceptance of alternate opinion as valid. So there is no "refuting" your arguments, because all you do is shout expletives.

To which the best response is Fuck Off.
>>
>>43872856
>You end up with people succeeding on 90% of rolls.
You stopped at Point Buy and didn't bother to entertain the idea that Traveller is not about having max stats across the board? Shitty player, you.
>>
>>43872553
>Mongoose version is 2d6 apply mods, roll under 8
Equal to or OVER 8.

Only GURPS, Hero, T4 and T5 are Roll Under.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1855x3578) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1855x3578
>>43872954
>>43872996
Stop responding to him guys.
He's a troll that goes around shitting on every game there is on here who's been banned several times already.
Report, hide, ignore. Pic related.
>>
>>43873027
It's been a while since I've played MgTrav, sorry.

>>43872515
>Mongoose Traveller's supplements are getting updated now
If they end up not being shit, I might head back and give it another try.
>>
>>43873082
As with all games, you take the pages that work and ignore the pages that don't.
>>
>>43873082
>If they end up not being shit, I might head back and give it another try.

Who knows? Mongoose is all over the place with their stuff it seems like.
They seem to be releasing High Guard and CSC immediately basically to ensure the ship and weapon/armor rules aren't wildly divergent from what appeared in the core book, so that's a plus.
>>
Mongoose Traveller is pretty legit op, its nice to use d6 for everything

Some people will always complain about games, I always see people complain about D&D, but then I remember that I enjoy playing DND and some people just look too hard for something they dislike
>>
>>43873185
Mongoose core book is more than acceptable, though it could have used another paragraph or two at the start of character generation. Pay attention to the flow chart instead.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.