[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is dexterity always the greatest stat or one of the best stats?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1436491262351.png (146 KB, 336x434) Image search: [Google]
1436491262351.png
146 KB, 336x434
Why is dexterity always the greatest stat or one of the best stats?
>>
Humans are a dexterous race, so we focus more on the applications of dexterity.

Also game designers rarely consider whether or not their games are balanced.
>>
>>43860880
Poor game design
>>
It's the stat which lets you hit things, lets you not get hit and avoid falling into stuff.
>>
>>43860880
Because a lot of fighting is avoiding being hit, and navigating dungeons is not falling in pits and the like.
>>
>>43860880
Because it governs a lot of skills.

In GURPS, so does intelligence but both are more expensive than Strength which also governs HP.
>>
>>43860880
Because aiming and dodging are the two oldest and most generalized skills in human history, thus we base a ton of other inter-related things off it. And while those skills are a combination of many RL "stats", they're most commonly associated with the physical element, dexterity, as it's the most concrete.
>>
>>43860952
There is no way you believe that last part.
>>
>>43860880

Rule number one in combat is don't get hit
Rule number two is hit the other guy

if you can't follow rule number 1 then don't bother with rule number 2
>>
>>43862262
but anon, i have a high con and heavy armor... i think im supposed to get hit while the rogue back stabs you for focusing the tank
>>
>>43862262
No. Rule 2 is "only hit the other guy if you won't get hit".
>>
>>43866262
Problem is constitution actually does shit for AC. Which sort of makes sense, since the high-con guy is probably already going to get good armor.

But then the dexterous guy actually can have a much higher AC than the high constituion guy, and still have middling armor. And by the time the high constitution guy gets better armor, the dex guy has better shit overall anyway.

So Con is probably going to be a dump stat since it only affects health and fortitude in things like pathfinder and D&D, while dex affects a lot more skills and weapons and even AC.
>>
>>43860880
Yeah right, I'm sure you've never touched a barbell in your life. Keep jogging, I'll be enjoying my gains
>>
>>43860880
Is it?
In which games, if I may enquire?
>>
>>43868819
Not OP, but in the WoD game I am running, my guys are dex heavy. Really comes down to the weapons they are using. They make some stupid decisions, but when it comes time to fight, they do pretty well.
>>
Going first and not getting hit are two big advantages in combat. DEX helps you with both.
>>
>>43866647
You can both go do useless shit while I go swimming. It trains dex,str AND combat the same time
>>
>>43868996
Ok, I'll bite. How does swimming train combat?
>>
>>43860880
So is his name Jack or John?
>>
>>43869016
The same way jogging and the gym, that is to say it dose not
>>
>>43869074
I am slightly disappointed, was hoping for something clever.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.