[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dosh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 16
File: MONEY!.jpg (172 KB, 450x678) Image search: [Google]
MONEY!.jpg
172 KB, 450x678
Do any of you have a sci-fi setting where the money isn't credits?
>>
>>43841772
They use Throne Gelt in Warhammer 40,000.
>>
>>43841772
Dust
>>
Yes! I have one where the currency is in hundreds, if not thousands, of separately minted/distributed bank note currencies, precious metal currencies, electronic currencies, crypto currencies, and commodity currencies. I have my players a big excel sheet of the ones they're likely to interact with.
>>
>>43841772
is that dhalsim dollars at the top?
>>
>>43841772
In Eclipse Phase large portions of the solar system use local currencies or a reputation economy.
>>
File: CopyofArielmoney01.jpg (252 KB, 777x911) Image search: [Google]
CopyofArielmoney01.jpg
252 KB, 777x911
Sorta yes, sorta no I guess?

Every planet, every nation, any body that distributes its own currency is treated as legal tender. The catch is it's only considered legal tender to others if it's part of the standard. Basically an economy has to reach a certain level before its currency is allowed into the Standard, and be used in paying for whatever. Until then, it has to be converted to an accepted Standard.

Nearly everyone that accepts Standard currencies has a means to name the price of a product or service in any of the Standard currencies, and can calculate how much is paid if some smartass decided to pay them in multiple currencies.
>>
>>43841895
>Reputation economy
How exactly does that work?
>>
>>43841933
Dubiously.
>>
>>43841924
Is the thing on their money an angry robot? Because it looks like an angry robot.
>>
We used crystallized memory as currency in my fantasy setting.

It's valuable because it used to be used as a form of stock in the supercomputer that ran the galaxy, with people being able to write code on their own piece that counts as a kind of 'vote' that is weighed against everyone else's code to decide how reality should be run, back when the setting was easily identified as sci-fi.

I'll never tell my players the truth, of course. I enjoy hearing them bitch that they only have a measly 15 shares of godlike power, while fighting with slings and spears only a deep dig away from a planet-sized supercomputer.
>>
The currency is Starbucks.
>>
>>43841933
It's basically the exact same thing as credit. The guy behind EP has no idea how actual economies and states operate. That said, it's still a pretty good game.
>>
File: scificomb.jpg (385 KB, 552x750) Image search: [Google]
scificomb.jpg
385 KB, 552x750
>>43841772
Yes. In that it isn't called Credits, just some name pulled from a random currency name generator. Backstory being the market was originally based on that currency and everyone just placed the value of their money against that currency because lazy.
>>
>>43842286
Yeah, we call them creds.
>>
File: RASW0002.jpg (786 KB, 1500x798) Image search: [Google]
RASW0002.jpg
786 KB, 1500x798
We had this thread not to long ago.
>>
>>43841933
Rules are free. There's a section that explains it. Naysayers don't realize that the setting would trash many existing notions in economics. Doesn't make it realistic, but I don't know what would be.
>>
>>43842286
It really isn't. You can get stuff for free through favors under the right circumstances, and when you do lose rep it's not a set cost.
>>
>>43841772
Shadowrun
>>
>>43842877
So, basically, it's more-or-less like what goes on right now politically?
>>
File: 1428430873113.png (228 KB, 540x696) Image search: [Google]
1428430873113.png
228 KB, 540x696
>>43841772
Brouzouf
>>
>>43841772
I think my favourite occasion of this was when the GM decided the setting's currency would be the 'Wojack'.

Just an arbitrary name to apply to the numbers, but still.
>>
>>43844188
How many wojacks for a pepe?
>>
>>43844201
... I need to check if this was intentional.
>>
>>43841786
endless space fans UNITE!
>>
>>43844227

There's no good system for it, though. I wish there was.
>>
Dune.
>>
>ctrl-f
>whuffie
>0 results
>>
Woolongs. Always use woolongs.
>>
>>43844201
>>43844215
That motherfucker.
>>
File: E.Y.E in a nutshell.png (114 KB, 2096x896) Image search: [Google]
E.Y.E in a nutshell.png
114 KB, 2096x896
>>43844000
>Brouzouf gaining increases
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 500x249) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 500x249
>>43841772
Bison dollars, a single one is worth five British pounds!
>>
File: Dosh Lords.gif (81 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Dosh Lords.gif
81 KB, 400x225
Nanomachines.
>>
>>43841933
It doesn't.
>>
Chit, Woolongs, Dust, Gelt, Nuyen, Dollarydoos.
>>
>>43844531
>no "your legs are okay"
>>
File: 900.jpg (64 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
900.jpg
64 KB, 500x246
>>43844732
Yes.
>>
>>43844428
Cory Doctorow please go.
>>
>>43843519
Pretty much, it's all "Do this favour for me now and in the future someone else will do a favour for you because I let them know you are a top fellow and are owed a favour"

So yeah, politics.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3602x3602) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3602x3602
>>43841829
Dhala dhala bills yall
>>
>>43843519
Yes, but for the everyman, which makes a lot of sense in the decentralized outer system.
>>
File: 345654.png (284 KB, 500x683) Image search: [Google]
345654.png
284 KB, 500x683
>>43841772
>Quatloos
>>
spacebux
>>
>>43844471
But if you use woolongs, the players won't ever have any.
>>
>>43841772
I ran a Star Wars game that had an alternate currency that was just scrap. Instead of spending credits to get materials to craft things, the party could just "spend" scrap instead. They'd get scrap from salvaging stuff, which was a major thing in that game, and could even trade scrap for other stuff when they were in Outer Rim or Wild Space territory.
>>
Energy. Everything simplifies down to the exchange of energy.
>>
File: Shmeckle.jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Shmeckle.jpg
8 KB, 300x168
Shmekels
>>
>>43847903
Hope you don't mind, but I'm stealing this.
>>
there's a universal currency (UC) that's legal tender in the entirety of human-governed planets and colonies, that's also taken as legal tender in most planets and colonies of "ramans", the one alien species so far that is similar enough to humanity in societal structure and style/rate of cognition to communicate with us.

a second alien species, referred to as "dziban" (zee-ban) by the ramans is only able to communicate directly to ramans, as they are more similar to the dziban in the ways that they differ from us socially and cognitively, sometimes takes the UC if they work through a raman middleman and have ready contact with more raman middlemen to bring the UC back into the human-raman sphere, where it is the most useful (and stable in value).

however, while human-raman relations have only been improving, the sheer number of human and human-raman colonies has made the UC dollar lose value. in addition, the ever-increasing contact and number of trade routes into raman systems surrounding stars of more exotic composition and radiation (radiation that is more of a detriment to humans than to ramans, and a composition that has it burn a significantly different hue and brightness than those preferred by humans) has brought more exotic, previously unknown elements into the human sphere of commerce than ever before, leading to more simple currencies of coins and ingots made of the stable exotic materials to gain popularity on fringe colonies.

fringe colonies are also three times as plentiful as core colonies. core colonies are really just the san francisco/new york to the fringe colony's arizona/montana, with the fringe colonies making up more of the manual work force, and the core colonies being more corporate and infested by whiny yuppies.

in the game, the purpose of the currencies of exotic elements is their widely varying value across systems. certain planets have more of a desire for one kind/quantity, and certain planets in another.

>c
>>
>>43841786
Man, I love those games and totally want to run a game in them. Endless Legend is practically made for it too, what with the ease of justifying dungeons and all the plot hooks.

Back on topic, it's a great currency too. Makes perfect sense why it's used and universally accepted, since it's basically has infinite potential.
>>
>>43849579
I like it. And it's given some thought.
>>
File: CfPan5B.jpg (523 KB, 1178x2181) Image search: [Google]
CfPan5B.jpg
523 KB, 1178x2181
>>43849579
character limit making me have to make a new post for two more sentences, fuck

the widely varying value of the exotic elements means if you get lucky and make bank on one world, you can go to another where it's worth more without having to get settled down on the first to make the money the hard way. this can set you up for good on planets that take that currency at/near maximum value, but all but restrict you from expanding to the rest due to your money being 35% as valuable over there. however, this is where the value of manufactured goods comes into play, but that goes how it does in the real world. the iraq-like government of a fringe colony will pay a ton for some good current-generation vehicles and weapons, and be easily swayed to pay more if you train them with your own soldiers. the finland-like government of a core colony is still using their ancient stock of small arms, chambered in an almost dead cartridge, and has vehicles and systems that are last-or-worst gen, but can get away with it because they're aided by other core colonies with more developed militaries.

meanwhile, planet-india still can't poo in the loo, and they lose three jump ships a month to fatal malfunctions from not servicing them for fifty years, or not removing the banana peels from the circuitry before putting it back in service if they did. you should steer clear of colonies like that.

>>43849636
thanks! i'm working on refining this, so i can make a hard sci fi universe that doesn't suck because the people who made it wanted it to be hard sci fi more than they wanted it to be good.

the admittedly boring space combat and general lack of soft sci fi conventions is useful because there isn't a "space dogfighting" system to balance. it's really just near-future warfare and politics on a galactic scale with a focus on individuals like us, as governmental and corporate entities work decade-to-decade instead of day-by-day like we do.
>>
>>43842517
Would coins and/or paper money have a place in the future? With plastic and digital currency and all.
>>
>>43841772
Neoshekles.
>>
File: 2013-06-19-Pork-Futures.jpg (247 KB, 900x578) Image search: [Google]
2013-06-19-Pork-Futures.jpg
247 KB, 900x578
>>43845921
>>
>>43850054
SOMA.jpg
>>
File: rapenomics.png (301 KB, 1400x4555) Image search: [Google]
rapenomics.png
301 KB, 1400x4555
>>43841772
>>
>>43841772
In my scifi setting, the currency that all the factions use is based on a rare crystal that a special cult found.

This crystal has very little purpose asides from looking like a small galaxy in every piece, with a glow and hum akin to Tiberium. The cult that found it immediately went to every faction, and through a series of events I haven't fully mapped managed to make the "credit" based on these crystals.

It's called "economium," and its existence is why "Crystal" and "Credit" are often interchangeable. Functionally though it's identical to credits. Just the players have the option of getting LITERAL solid amounts of it in their hands, instead of abstract amounts on their chits.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.