[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 300px-Keepers_Of_The_Moon.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
300px-Keepers_Of_The_Moon.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
Is the difficulty check (DC) system copyrighted?
I'm using it in my system and wanted to know - if anyone here knows I'd appreciate it.
>>
File: obviouslyribbon.jpg (39 KB, 223x224) Image search: [Google]
obviouslyribbon.jpg
39 KB, 223x224
Game rules can't be copyrighted.
>>
>>43799380
This >>43799413

Doubly so for something as simple as 'roll a dice, compare to number'.
>>
>>43799413
The full explanation is as follows.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

Basically, art and exact text may be copywritten, but the rules can be paraphrased and used freely.

And, considering that the DC system was part of the Open Game License, you're free to use the exact text involved in describing it.
>>
>>43799380
Not sure if the actual term is copyrighted or trademarked or whatever, but the actual system isn't.
>>
The concept of "roll a dice, add modifiers, compare to target number" is not and can not (reasonably) be copyrighted.

Since "Difficulty Checks" are part of the OGL, it's a bit foggy, but ultimately you can do the same thing can call them "target numbers" like everything not D&D/d20 does, or come up with your own fancy name for them.
>>
Are you planning on selling it? Not that it matters because of >>43799413 >>43799508, but it would matter even less so unless you were planning on selling the product.

If you are, hooray for D&D heartbreaker #34627 hitting the market in Q3 2016.
>>
>>43799380
Rules do not fall under copyrightable stuff; only a specific expression - that is, how some rulebook has written it down- is. Or to put it another way, you may use DC rule system as long as you don't copy the text from any published rulebook word for word.

(this post brought to you by images of wheelchairs)
>>
Side note; some rules have actually been patented. The most famous I suppose is the WotC patent on tapping MtG cards (google it up). I've read somewhere people expressing doubt that such a patent would pass in these days.
>>
>>43799589
The term "tapping" and its symbols are protected, but numerous card games use the mechanic, they're just forced to use a different name, like "Bowing" or "Spending".

It's the sort of thing where a large company that wanted to publish a card game could quite easily hire the lawyers to challenge being able to use the term "tapping," but most smaller companies just find it easier to use a different word since "tapping" isn't really all that great to begin with.
>>
Didn't... WotC patent run out last year? I recall I read about that, somewhere.
>>
Thanks bros. There is a possibility of (attempting) selling it. Of course there's still the bugs, wriing, art, layout, etc etc.

I appreciate the help :D
>>
>>43799643
Yeah it's quicker and easier to just call it something different and make sure to use ever so slightly different wording for the mechanic itself.
>>
>>43799786
>patent
Lol
>>
>>43799643
Note that you can still do the physical act of tapping a card (touch it or turn it)
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.