[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
decided to get back into 40k never painted that much and was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7
File: paints.jpg (177 KB, 1171x353) Image search: [Google]
paints.jpg
177 KB, 1171x353
decided to get back into 40k
never painted that much and was wondering the pros and cons of each of the brands in the pic.

also post pics of badass paint jobs to get me hype for painting
>>
File: img543d7af0ec8d8.jpg (421 KB, 850x4053) Image search: [Google]
img543d7af0ec8d8.jpg
421 KB, 850x4053
>>43746321

Citadel is weird, their paint lineup is formulated for different purposes and each category has kind of limited set of colors. And they're expensive.

Vallejo game color and army painter paints have the same colors, as they were made to match the old games workshop line of paints.

In the end it comes down to preference.
>>
>>43756118
I made a mistake....... seeing things like this pic doesnt make me hype.... it makes me sad
ill never be this godly
>>
File: img564daf3ad3a90.jpg (50 KB, 590x669) Image search: [Google]
img564daf3ad3a90.jpg
50 KB, 590x669
>>43756526
Not with that attitude.
>>
P3 fórmula are good and cheap, and it have liquid pigments so is good for doing washes and light layers
>>
>>43755210
>GW
-Overpriced, WAY overpriced
-Pots
-Their paint guides have lots of unnecessary steps and tell you to get lots of paints just to suck your money out, the word "mixing" is banned
-Aimed at gamers who don't know better and just want a quick tabletop quality, not serious painters
-Their paint sets cost the same as buying the paints separately
+Their washes are pretty good, probably the best
+Have some nice special effects, their "Technical" range
+Their "Base" range can be useful for some colors (ie. white, yellow, red)

>Vallejo
+Cheap, lots of variety, lots of different ranges (gamming, modelling, airbrush...)
+Droppers
+Best metallics (those in Air model range and the Liquid Gold ones)
+Lots of different paint sets where you actually get a discount
+Overall best quality in the market
-Can't really find anything bad to say about them, maybe could be hard to find depending on where you live

>ArmyPainter
-+Rebranded Vallejo
+Have handy spray colors that can be interesting if you lack an airbrush
+Have "quickshade" for dipping large amounts of models, expect incoherent rage from /tg/ if you use that
-Just get Vallejo, son
>>
I agree with the guy above.

Get Master's Brush cleaner and a wet pallette. I really like my P3 Wet Pallette. Take good care of your brushes. Thin your paints.

Work methodically and take your time and you'll get good results.
>>
>>43758388
Masterson makes wet palettes that don't gouge your eyes out for refills.
>>
File: DSCN5060.jpg (94 KB, 600x756) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5060.jpg
94 KB, 600x756
>>43755210
The current GW lineup seems odd. Apart form that, just go with whatever really. I've used Vallejo, P3, old GW lineup, the really old GW lineup (nowadays sold by Coat de Arms), and once upon a time Humbrol Fantasy, and once a pot of black wash that was labelled "Nitro".

They all work. Use whatever, what matters will be you, not the paint brand.

The paint for the dress here is a pot of GW Liche Purple from back around the end of the nineties, mixed with P3 magenta for the highlights, and Vallejo Game Royal Purple for the shading.
>>
File: 1347859645224.gif (2 MB, 564x428) Image search: [Google]
1347859645224.gif
2 MB, 564x428
>>43757269

>Those GW negatives
>>
>>43758772
You mean holding up the painting guides as a flaw of the paint itself might not be a sign of a completely objective review? Damn.
>>
>>43757269
>-Aimed at gamers who don't know better and just want a quick tabletop quality, not serious painters
Dude, serious painters make extensive use of every major manufacturer. Some work almost exclusively with GW.

>-Their paint guides are simple
That's a benefit for the bulk of the market. Why do you think Duncan is so well received? That shit's for new painters, while the FW masterclass books are closer to a scale modeling manual.
>>
File: homer universal laff.jpg (389 KB, 1284x980) Image search: [Google]
homer universal laff.jpg
389 KB, 1284x980
>>43758798
>>43758772
>>43758874
>dose triggered shills
>>
File: 200 percent don't do that.jpg (51 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
200 percent don't do that.jpg
51 KB, 680x680
>>43759278
>anyone who disagrees with me is a shill
>>
>>43759278

>3 out of 5 comments have fuck all to do with the quality of the paint itself and the two left are incredibly subjective.
>Expect to not get called out

Being so irrationally against something is as bad as, if not worse than being a shill.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.