[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When your character knows things you don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 960x606) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 960x606
Hi /tg/

How do you deal with playing characters who know more than you on certain things?

I'm playing a session of Feng Shui 2 later and my character will know a fair amount about guns, for an example, which I know nothing about. It will probably not come up at all, but it made me wonder about how others deal with it.
>>
>>43753270
I don't know the specifics of Feng Shui, but isn't this what knowledge skills are for?
>>
>>43753327
Feng Shui has knowledge skills, but I'm talking about role playing. When my character has a reason to talk about something from his field of expertise.

I guess I could say something like: [PC's name] takes one look at the bullet casing and sees it is from a gun frequently used by this gang.
>>
>>43753270
You should probably take a chance to learn about guns. Consider when you pick a race you read the lore, so why not read up on your characters existing knowledge? I once made a char who knew akido as a martial art, to get in char I read up on the basics and watched some youtube videos. You dont need learn everything, roleplay leta you bullahit parts you dont but your char might.
>>
>>43753455
>when you pick a race you read the lore
If only.
>>
>>43753432

Just be vague about it? "The shell casing looks like one on the Dragon Dildo Gang's rifles" carries as much plot info as "The unique 7 millimeter casing indicates a knockoff manufactured in Dragon Dildonia" et cetera et cetera.

Or just make some bullshit up like I just did! It's an rpg, your DM won't be asking you to identify real-world firearms or anything.
>>
>>43753455
This! Whenever I make a character, I make it a point to have at least rudimentary knowledge in whatever fields my character is knowledgeable in. It's a good opportunity to learn.
>>
>>43753270
>don't know anything about guns

C U C K
U
C
K
>>
Playing a character who knows something you don't isn't so different from making scenery for a play. It doesn't need to be functional. Only the appearance matters, and only from the angles the audience actually sees.

First up, research! Look into the subject and pick up the basics. Then wander over to /k or the local gun store or wherever and listen in on some of the discussions.

Now prepare some lines in advance. Discuss it with your GM too; he may be willing to give you details for you to work around or take the lines you've written into consideration when preparing the session, so that when the moment comes you happen to have all the right knowledge for the occasion.

Finally, have a plan for when you're caught off guard. If you're fumbling for words, latch onto the first ones that come to mind, even if they don't quite fit. Or change the subject; perhaps this gun reminds the character of a moment from his childhood (which he goes into detail on while you silently scramble for ideas). If you can gloss over the moments you struggle with and play up the ones you're ready for, those are the ones that will stick in everyone's head.
>>
Use indirect speech.
"<Character Name> goes over the all the reasons why you're bad and suck"
>>
>>43753270
Do the research?
It's what I do, but I read a lot anyways.
>>
>>43753612
/pol/ is leaking
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.