[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /tg/, any system you'd reccomend for a Kamen Rider esc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: i am orange.jpg (42 KB, 640x332) Image search: [Google]
i am orange.jpg
42 KB, 640x332
Sup /tg/, any system you'd reccomend for a Kamen Rider esc campaign that isnt GURPS.

Nothin' against GUPRS i just wanna know if their is something else i could use.
>>
>>43746831
I ran a Gaim campaign using Wild Talents before, maybe give that a shot.

It might not work for all groups, but it worked for mine.
>>
>>43746831
GURPS
>>
GURPS
>>
>>43746831
Mutants & Masterminds
Maybe BESM 2E if you reflavor the Sentai option.
And of course everyone's favorite: Homebrewing Dark Heresy or World of Darkness!
>>
>>43746831
Are you basing it on any particular show?
>>
I'm running a Kamen Rider campaign based on Legends of the Wulin, focusing on the high action martial arts combat which is a staple of the series. LotW also supports the ongoing conflicts you see in KR shows, with fights as a way of building a relationship, stages in a story rather than just its end.
>>
>>43747005
Wulin is a total shitshow though
>>
File: decadethreatdown.jpg (115 KB, 516x388) Image search: [Google]
decadethreatdown.jpg
115 KB, 516x388
>>43747005
>Legend of Wulin
Do you have a suggestion where combat doesn't take fifteen million years?
>>
>>43747028

It's badly edited, but the actual system is fucking phenomenal. The awkward and confusing layout of the book unnecessarily raises the barrier to entry, and it doesn't do it any favours by failing to properly explain system concepts it takes in different directions from other RPGs. But after finally getting the thing to run? It has the best, most enjoyable and interesting combat system of any RPG I've ever played, and is built around using that and other gameplay systems to help create interesting consequences and fuel fun and compelling storytelling. I love it.
>>
>>43746831
FATAL
>>
>>43747091
I can't stomach the system's bullshit

I hate the slogging ass combat
I hate how borked and boring it is to run mooks and LLs
I hate the core mechanic that is the Chi Conditions and how over reliant it is on coating shit with description to cover up the fact piddly and assymetric mechanics used for it
I hate how combat maneuvers do the same thing
I hate the fucking lack of any documentation of their goddamned design logic for internals.
>>
>>43746831

Actually, I have to say: I don't think a Kamen Rider game largely relies on system. It relies on the aesthetic and the mood of the game. I've run a game based on Cutie Honey: The Live plus three Kamen Riders of different origins (Policeman with a belt, man on the run, cyborg warrior) using M&M2E, and it was very much more about how the game was setup than the actual mechanics of it.
>>
GURPS Lite
>>
>>43747087
>>43747382

Slow combat is one of the things the system doesn't do a good job of explaining, IMO. It's slow at first as you learn it, but over time it speeds up a lot. A key thing is that the system is dumb to say you should always fight to Taken Out. It makes sense to end a lot of fights when a Major and a few Minors have been inflicted, as people aren't willing to fight to the bitter end and instead prefer to withdraw. With players who understand this, it works very well. What helps is intensifying how End of Battle RIppling Rolls work if you get Taken Out, making the risk of it a much bigger deal, giving PCs an incentive to withdraw if they're beaten up.

As for the rest? I guess it's just opinion. I love the combat system and how flexible Chi Conditions are, and I think LL's and Minions suit their intended purpose, speedbumps or environmental obstacles alongside real opponents. Marvels are cool, too, a simple selection of default mechanical options you can use with the system encouraging the GM to allow improvised ones if the player has a good idea. And the guidelines in the homebrew sections for Internals make sense, even if there is a lot of design space which isn't touched upon.
>>
>>43747980
Except that doesn't work on LLs and Minion swarms which only have one fucking condition via this piece of shit health system. And that is being taken out and they take way too fucking long to kill off. Which is unacceptable for fucking mooks since they'll get wiffed at while posing no threat whatsoever

And the guidelines are shit. Oh wow modifiers go up by +5 per tier that still doesn't explain the rest of the design logic for their own damn internals or how to do things more interesting that stacking modifiers./
>>
>>43746831
GURPS
>>
>>43746831
Mutants and Masterminds is good.
Anime systems probably have specifically options.

And at the tail end, you can run D&D with gestalt rules with one class being mandatory Synthethist Summoner.
>>
>>43746831
I am running one in mutants and masterminds right now. Had never run the system before and it honestly might become my main squeeze, its so good.
>>
>>43746831
Legend (Rule of Cool)
>>
>>43752702

Legend is a cool system, and the Vigilante track is neat, but it's not the best thing for a Kamen Rider game unless you're really attached to the d20 framework. Even then, you have to cope with the fact that it's a sadly incomplete game. Lots of great ideas but the development was hamstrung when the lead designer got hired by a major games publisher and had to sign a non-compete clause. The game is dead in the water and has been for ages.
>>
File: damn_y10.jpg (216 KB, 720x4320) Image search: [Google]
damn_y10.jpg
216 KB, 720x4320
Cartoon Action Hour has actual mechanics for transforming from one thing into another thing, so you can actually be a high school student who knows kung-fu who turns into a badass cyborg by using a cool belt that can be stolen, if it serves the plot.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.