[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old grognard wants to try this new fangled game you kids play.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: Back.jpg (917 KB, 1050x1500) Image search: [Google]
Back.jpg
917 KB, 1050x1500
Old grognard wants to try this new fangled game you kids play. What's the best way to start?
>>
>>43741514
Take fifty bucks and set it on fire.

Repeat until you win a tournament.
>>
The best way to start is don't.

Magic players are dicks and treat new players like shit.
>>
>>43741514
As a guy who is not into Magic but has seen a friend sink hundreds of hours and dollars into the hobby then suddenly quit after recent releases, I'd recommend that you not.

But, if you're that interested, check one the Generals. There's, like, three.
>>
>newfangled
Magic is over 20 years old.
>>
Consider the PC game Magic: Duels Origins. It has a reasonable tutorial and relatively small cardpool so you don't get overwhelmed by the huge number of cards.

If you like that, look into the different formats and pick one of them. You'll probably want Limited (draft), Modern or Commander.
>>
>>43741514
Draft at your friendly local game store.
>>
>>43741611
>you'll probably want
????
>>
>>43741514
Don't. Do drugs instead.
>>
>>43741514

Do you want to play casually? Get a few mates and buy Intro Packs.

Do you want to do tournament play? Start setting aside money now. Play anything you can online and for free, like Cockatrice or Origins.
>>
>new

Hahahaha oh wow

Magic: The Gathering is an 22 year old card game that has been surpassed by many other games. With the money you spend on Magic, you could buy all these games and expansions:

Android: Netrunner
Doomtown: Reloaded
Ashes: Rise of the Pheonixborn
Summoner Wars
Mage Wars: Academy/Arena
Any other LCG by FFG
Dice Masters

You'd have to be a complete retard to still insist on playing this outdated game when there are so many superior card games around.
>>
>>43741794
>you could buy all these games and expansions
they have pretty boring art tho

not saying all mtg cards are ash zealot or stasis but what's the point of a card game with boring art
>>
File: port-ill-dinosaurus.jpg (840 KB, 1258x1000) Image search: [Google]
port-ill-dinosaurus.jpg
840 KB, 1258x1000
>>43741863
Netrunner has fantastic art.
>>
>>43741863
A turd is still a turd, etc
Also, Ashes alone is the most elegant card game ever designed. Everything about it is beautiful. Google: Badtaste. That's what's going on with you.
>>
>>43741514

>>43705285
>>
>>43741514
Don't; wargaming is just as expensive, and much more fulfilling.
>>
>>43741578
My lot don't, we love new players, they try crazy-ass decks and we get to sue all the cards we pulled. It's also a way to vicariously enjoy re-getting into the hobby.
>>
>>43741716
This. Seriously. Get a good shroom setup going.
>>
>>43741951
The art is serviceable, but the card layout is hideous. It's cluttered and shitty. Too many sci fi nonsensical bits and pieces that convey absolutely 0 information. It hurts my eyes to look at netrunner cards for too long.
>>
>>43741794
>outdated game

Because once a game is X years old, it's no longer fun!

>superior card games
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>43741794
>Magic
>Surpassed
And not a single game you listed even came close.
>>
>>43742347
War gaming is less expensive and less fulfilling if you're playing mtg correctly
>>
>>43741794
>superior
>surpassed

Wow, it takes a special type of sperglord weeb to force themselves to think that shitty games are more fun in hopes of getting in on something before its cool (spoiler: those games will never be good or cool, quit now you delusional shitbag)
>>
>>43743289
>Correctly

Nigger, playing Magic "correctly" means having a group of roughly 10 or so people who meet up once or twice a week to have 2-4 hour long turbocasual game times.

Actually, come to think of it, maintaining a "serious" turbocasual collection is about as expensive as playing a single top-tier deck. Never mind, as you were, then.
>>
>>43741794
All that, for like, 50-70 bucks?
>>
>>43743382
Commander/edh is the highest form of EDH cancer

I would absolutely loathe the game if I was introduced to it through commander.

And yes, turbocasuals find a way to spend $$$$$ on their shitpiles, and then have the audacity to complain about the price of competitive mtg (not that I think the prices aren't a bit outrageous)
>>
>>43743492
>EDH cancer
Supposed to be mtg cancer. I don't know if I'm just retarded or my auto-incorrect is just extremely overzealous
>>
>>43741514
>>43741514
casual table top / "kitchen table" with friends and bro's
make infinite combos illegal.
i dunno, so long as you all agree to a "format".

i never did like the cycling out of 'series' or what ever the fucks, and the banning of cards.
60 card deck
4 of a kind
no infinite engines/combos

blam
fun
>>
>>43743492
>>43743508
When I said turbocasual, I didn't mean EDH, anon.
>>
>>43743492
>EDH
>Turbocasual

Pick One, genius.
>>
>>43743578
>>43744061
You niggers are obviously way luckier than me in terms of playerbases

Edh around here is pure shit in every conceivable way. Regular edh, not French 1v1
>>
>>43744105
There is no such thing as non-shit EDH.

If you want to play with singleton piles, try regular Highlander: http://highlandermagic.info/

Its practically legacy, but you get to play with the second best cards and second best synergies and interactions too, which adds some fun variety while detracting only slightly from the power.
>>
>>43744864
>Playing Highlander
>Not playing Canadian
>>
gonna try for a serious answer here

find 2-4 other friends who want to start playing, or friends who play and aren't piles of shit. Buy the deckbuilder's toolkit, a holiday giftbox, or a bunch of booster packs. Build some decks and learn to play with your mates. Have fun
>>
>>43745074
>a holiday giftbox

I hope you mean a Fat Pack.
>>
>>43741514
Play Pauper.
There are decks for like 10 bucks
>>
>>43745851
those too
>>
Build a super budget modern deck.
Modern is the best format (best BIG format) as it does not rotate the cards you can use like in the standard format.

Pro tour decks can cost around 800-1200$
But you wont need that.

Instead make a SUUUPER budget deck, i recomend a bogles deck. go on ebay and order:
4X slippery bolgles
4X glade cover scouts
2-4X some other cheap hexproof

then just throw in as many enchantment auras as you can get your hands one, and congrats you have a deck that might be able to win at your Friday night gamestore games, or beat down casual plebs.

This should run you about 10$ for the creatures, and just try to bum the enchantments for free, and upgrade the enchantments as you get money, i sugest you buy some "umbra" enchatments and daybreak Colette
>>
>>43746145
Just play burn. It's less than $50
>>
>>43746171
Which burn deck? Modern burn is really expensive,I think around 350. Legacy burn is like 150-200.
>>
>>43746171
Every new play has burn, bogles destroys burn, especially with the umbras.
>>
>>43743267
>>43743334
All this delusional buyer's denial. wow... I supposed it hurts to admit all those thousands of dollars you've wasted in a shittier game could have been better spent. Ouch
>>
>>43743267
No, but when other games have improved over what that game offered it always feels like a step back to play that shit game.
>>
>>43746171
Just buy a bunch of random-ass commons that cost 1-2 mana and do 1-2 damage, there's your cheap burn deck
Anything you add to it from that point is just optimisation
>>
>>43747467
*2-3 damage
>>
File: 1367027410421.jpg (105 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1367027410421.jpg
105 KB, 640x480
>>43746171
>it's less than 50 dollary-doos
no, it isn't.

play mono-green stompy. that is the true budget deck. it's also a good, honest magic deck with a straightforward game plan and some interactive cards. runs about $130 for all the bells and whistles.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-mono-green-aggro-22909#paper
>>
I'm a new player who's curious as to why everyone is saying commander is shit, I was going to pick up one of the new decks (the Mizzix one) and a friend was going to get the WB one so that we could have some fun with that
>>
Your LGS will hand out free 30-card sample packs. Find someone to teach you the basics with those packs. If you're still interested, drop $30 into an event deck which will do alright in comps and is easy to modify.
>>
>>43748244

commander isn't fun when played 1v1.
>>
>>43741545
That's funny, That's why I quit.
>>
>>43745851
Dude, the giftbox cannot be beat for card storage.
>>
>>43748065
stop spoiling the secret tech, nerd

>tfw type 1 version's still cheap as chips
>>
>>43747288
>better spent
See, this is what I don't get. If people enjoy the game, and don't mind having spent money on it, what's the issue?
>>
>>43748065

I just discovered I own most of this cards sans for avatars and villages. WE MODERN NAO.
>>
>>43741514

Borrow a deck from a friend who can teach you how the game works. Then research the kinds of decks you like in the kind of format you like (e.g., Legacy, Modern). Buy the cards to play something similar and tweak it as you see fit.

Don't buy packs unless you only want to draft (which can be a blast but is pretty expensive). The best strategy is to pick up individual cards because it will cost you boatloads of cash to find good cards in packs.

Alternatively, find someone who would sell you a deck and get a second opinion to see whether it's worth it.
>>
>>43748244
Commander just attracts the highest amount of autistic turbocasual scrubs because they can identify with their deck and gush about how much of a special snowflake their pile of 100 shit cards is. Then when they invariably lose because their deck is utter trash they throw a temper tantrum about how what you played was cheap or that you wouldn't have / only won because of XYZ thing happening. These are people who refuse to look at themselves and see something that needs improvement because nothing they're doing could possibly be wrong, it must be something someone else is doing. People who can't take constructive advice about their deck as anything other than a personal attack.
>>
>>43747288
>better spent
I don't know how. I've literally never even met someone who plays a TCG other than magic or yugioh, and I didn't want to play with 12 year olds so I didn't pick yugioh. spending all those hundreds of dollars on a different game would have been a bigger waste than MTG because at least I meet other people to play with when it comes to MTG.
>>
>>43741578
Especially here a /tg/. It's fun just with friends if you guys all casual and chill. But since you're a self proclaimed grognard I doubt that appeals to you. I just wouldn't bother honestly.
>>
>>43741514
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.