[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What TRPG has the most deadly combat system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1352275993543.jpg (4 KB, 84x83) Image search: [Google]
1352275993543.jpg
4 KB, 84x83
What TRPG has the most deadly combat system?
>>
>>43725882
L5R is pretty lethal
>>
>>43725882
Traveller. You can die during character generation.
>>
>>43725882

F.A.T.A.L. Players might kill themselves for real.
>>
Mutants and Masterminds
>>
>>43725882
Lvl 1 DnD 5e
>>
Taveller if you want to die randomly in character creation

Phoenix Command if you want to die 3.2 seconds into combat from a 9x19mm Parabellum round penetrating the liver at 360 metres/second, and have the math to prove it

AD&D retroclones if you want your fighter to slip in the mud and set off an acid trap or whatever.
>>
>>43725882
I'd say Traveller for the death during character generation, OR Paranoia where you often die on the way from getting the mission to picking up the mission equipment, and where the entire party often dies before even meeting anyone who is not a party member.
>>
>>43725882
D&D if you never let the players level and just have them as defacto housecat/rat slayers. They'll get their asses right whooped.
>>
>>43728449
By who? The housecats and rats? Duh...
>>
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2E, if players don't pick up that you don't automatically block/dodge attacks against you.
>>
I honestly don't think I've seen worse than D&D. Try playing keep on the borderlands or any classic module with first level characters. 1 die of HP, probably no CON mod, either a single spell or a suit of armour (or neither, and a 20% chance of hiding in shadows). See how many PCs die before everyone gives up and plays something better.
>>
>>43728628
nonsense, wfrp is extremely forgiving in combat, with most enemies having like 30-40% chance to land a hit before you get to dodge or parry (and most attacks can be dodged or parried). It just has a reputation for being lethal because of the gruesome deathblow table and the setting's grim-and-gritty stylings. But that's all fluff, the actual rules are less lethal than just about any fantasy RPG you care to name.
>>
>>43728046
>>43728227
>>43728363
>die during character creation

Okay, now I'm curious. Anyone feel like explaining?
>>
>>43728891
You can age during character creation in Traveller, you say you want to be for example 40 years when the game starts. So you roll the die for every 4-year period from the start of your career until age 40. The rolls form your backstory, including promotions, people you meet, stuff that happened while you aged to 40.
And then you fumble the roll and your spaceship gets blown up, start over with another character.
>>
Deadlands can be pretty deadly (but I don't think the most deadly) since if you're hit first the penalties can make it tough to hit back and it spirals against you.

Or worse if you're fighting a monster and weren't able to find its weakness via investigation before the encounter. Running is frequently a bad option (many of them will be faster than you) and the monsters can potentially be invulnerable if you don't know the trick to beating them.
>>
>>43728089
>5e
>hard

You've never played anything other that fifth, have you?

A fifth edition magic user (level 1) gets six hitpoints plus Con Mod at starting.

An AD&D 1e Magic user gets d4 (no automatic maximum) hit points plus hp adjustment.

Con Mods are higher that HP adjustments. A Con of 15 only yields +1 HP in Ad&d, and 0 below that.

I know that HP isn't everything in survivability, but it's a good indicator. 5e Monsters are generally more difficult than 1e monsters, but even that is disputable, when 1e monsters come in stated quantities and can have different weapon types.
>>
>>43725882
Traveler, you can kill yourself before session one depending on your career, although I think Mongoose might have done away or reduced that.
>>
>>43729344
>5E monsters more difficult
Especially since the PCs are so gimped in terms of customization and stats.
>>
File: MERP Crits and Fumbles.jpg (997 KB, 1332x1788) Image search: [Google]
MERP Crits and Fumbles.jpg
997 KB, 1332x1788
Rolemaster is pretty lethal as the crit charts have tons of "Haha fuck you, time to roll a new character entries." The crits there make Derp Hurresy look like baby mode.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.