[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: td148_jaceStone.jpg (62 KB, 620x343) Image search: [Google]
td148_jaceStone.jpg
62 KB, 620x343
Free Jace Edition

What are you building/playing/brewing?

What are your match ups like?

What do you want to see banned and unbanned next update?
>>
File: MemeMoon.png (21 KB, 576x242) Image search: [Google]
MemeMoon.png
21 KB, 576x242
>>43660499
First for meme moons.
>>
First for countering everything and casting rev for 15.
>>
>op is a jacefag
>first poster posts a tier 9 deck
>second poster says "first" despite being 15 minutes late and posts rev for 15

Ok fuck this thread. I'll come back for the next one.
>>
>>43660602
>how_to_lose_to_burn.dec
>>
>>43660890
>>43660602
>>43660499
leave this format and never return
>>
Just let it die.
There's nothing to talk about. The only posts are garbage memes anyway
>>
ok maybe this will help, why does wizards not print new cards for modern in modern masters
>>
>>43661518
You can't make me or my moons! :^)
>>
>>43661715
Wizards wants new cards to enter Modern through Standard. Wizards does not playtest for Modern, but they do playtest for Standard. So if a card seems fine for Standard, then usually it's fine for Modern.
>>
>>43661895
but the formats have been growing apart.
>>
>>43660602
This deck does nothing but drop moons. How new are you? Moons are annoying but not as great as you seem to think
>>
>>43662217
They kill any two or more colored deck you pavement ape. Aside from that, a gorillion 2/1s will still kill you.
>>
>>43662732
holy shit are you defending the blood moon deck?
>>
>>43661895
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/development-risks-modern-2015-05-22
"People ask me, sometimes, how much of our playtesting do we spend testing Modern. The answer is…well, none"
>>
>>43662844
So you agree with me?
>>
>>43660602
>Dump a bunch of shitty creatures on board
>Play blood moon
thanks for fixing my mana for Anger of the Gods, hope you like losing to your own shitty deck
>>
>>43661895
i don't understand this statement. if a card is fine in the shallow card pool, it's fine in the deep card pool? that's the opposite of what makes sense
>>
>>43662940
The thinking is that if a card doesn't dominate Standard, then it probably won't dominate Modern.
>>
>>43662732
Yea because nobody runs any basic lands right!? Silly me!
>beat down by 2/1s
Oh I am laughing. That's some serious shit right there
>>
>>43660602
Just play the skred list that anon posted last thread. Your deck is dumb
>>
>>43662732
It doesnt stop Tron
The only thing it stops is amulet Bloom. Its just annoying for any other deck.
Even in my Tokens, I run 2 swamps and 4 Plains. Most decks run at least some basics
>>
Would Portent or Opt be unbalanced in modern?
>>
>>43665394
I dont think portent would be overpowered in modern, not as good as brainstorm. Definitely would give Delver back its teeth though. Same with Opt.
>>
Just use index like everyone else
>>
>>43665596
Said no one ever
>>
>>43665596
index sucks and you suck if you play index
>>
File: Ez.png (1 MB, 1280x993) Image search: [Google]
Ez.png
1 MB, 1280x993
So why aren't you playing the latest in meme deck technology? The latest T1 deck.

4 Children of Korlis
4 Immolating Souleater
2 Intervention Pact
4 Orzhov Charm
4 Pain's Reward
8 Swamp
4 Remember the Fallen
4 Sanguine Bond
4 Scoured Barrens
4 Souls of the Faultless
4 Tainted Sigil
2 Valor Made Real
4 Vizkopa Guildmage
8 Plains

2 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Path to Exile
2 Suppression Field
2 Rest in Peace
>>
>>43666099
2meme4me
>>
File: Image.jpg (28 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
28 KB, 223x310
>>43660499
Brewing a Chalice/Mind grind mill strategy

My matchups are mostly Affinity

> Pic Related

It was fun to play it with Weenies or Tokens, and since a lot of decks run artifact hate in the sideboard it won't be as good as it used to be.
>>
>>43666220
please go to the casual general, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about and you aren't ready for competitive modern format discussion
>>
>>43666302
I prefer to brew things that have chances for competitive, my other decks i have are Actually Teir 1 played decks.
>>
>>43666319
then why did you post a banned card you nigger
>>
File: 1404026065056.jpg (44 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
1404026065056.jpg
44 KB, 375x523
building pillow fort that goes for enduring ideal.
Looking for good pillowfort includes and tech.

Possible red splash?
>>
>>43666349
Did you read the Unbanned sign? What cards would you like to see banned or unbanned?
>>
>>43666367
The only viably competitive pillowfort deck is 8rack
>>
>>43666099
It seems bad. Do you ever win? Try to be truthful
>>
Sidetech against Infect for Ad Nauseam? Darkness and what else?
>>
>>43667072
A lot more often than I lose.
>>
File: gLUxW9D.png (512 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
gLUxW9D.png
512 KB, 640x479
>Building/Playing/Brewing
Playing TarmoTwin and loving it. Building some form of Zoo and trying to figure out an allies list I like because why not.
>Matchups
Most are decent except for GBx. Can't seem to win two matches in a row against Jund or Junk.
>Banned and unbanned
Nothing, the format is great right now. Lots of great viable decks and room to brew. Nothing is seeing too much play, and there's a lot of great decks hitting top 8 all the time.

Also, I never see any Twin talk in modern threads, why is that?
>>
>>43667147
I'll give it a shot
>>
>>43667147
Don't you play exclusively in casual room?
>>
>>43667337
Please stop letting anons troll you in these threads.
>>
>>43666099
Is this even Modern?
What is your opponent playing?
>>
>>43660890
this is just rtr/theros with counterspells
>>
>>43660499
I think that a lot of the problems with modern are because of the lack of "free" counterspells to keep combo in check. Perhaps something like Force that instead mana leaked. Or hell, even Force would be good for the format, it would be absolute shit in fair matchups
I was playing bloom titan back in February, but I sold it, along with the rest of my modern stuff to get into legacy. Thinking about coming back with merfolk.
I would be very surprised if bloom survived another B&R rotation. Which is a shame, the deck is an absolute blast to play.
>>
>>43667344
I've never seen you post a picture against anything T1, so I just assumed
Its not fair to imply a deck is competitive because it can win against other T3+ decks
>>
>>43662962
Which is moronic, you have infinitely more tools with which to break a seemingly innocuous card in modern/legacy/vintage.
>>
>>43667387
Then you must be new.
Also you have to retarded to take me claiming it was T1 seriously.
>>
>>43666099
loses to Stony Silence?
>>
>>43667419
No. That just shuts down 1 card.
>>
>>43667394
Modern seems to me like its more about raw card power, and legacy has more synergies, look at aluren, food chain, MUD, or even the fetch+brainstorm interaction.
>>
So what's you guys' favorite deck.

Grishoalbrand for me. Always feel like I can win when i'm playing it, matchup doesn't matter. Very flexible lines of play.
>>
This might be a wrong thread but there isn't any better up. What is a good way to evaluate the worth your deck? I got this 5-year-old legacy burn deck that I haven't used and I'm thinking of selling it. It has Chain Lightnings from Legends (or Masters III, can't remember) and older lightning bolts, Vexing Shushers and all the regular stuff so it has at least some value in it. Any sites or something? Help me out fa/tg/uys.
>>
>>43667632
Magiccardmarket
>>
>>43667754
Thank's, I'll check it out.
>>
What are your favorite modern decks? Mine are

Affinity
U/B Faeries
Abzan Return
U/R Storm
U/W Control
>>
>>43668011
Abzan Return?

>U/W Control
>U/B Faeries
Good taste senpai.
>>
File: Image.jpg (28 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
28 KB, 223x310
This would be nice to be unbanned
Also taking this deck to FNM this Friday. What do you think /tg/?

Lands
4 Misty Rainforests
4 Scalding Tarns
3 Steam Vents
3 Shivan Reefs
4 Islands
2 Mountains

Creatures
4 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Karthus Tyrant of Jund
3 Goblin Electromancer

Spells
4 Dragonstorm
4 Lotus Bloom
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Manamorphose
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Peer through Depths

Old archetype of Storm that fell out of favor after Storm bannings. The goal is to get 9 mana, easily achievable with a lotus bloom and a couple rituals or an Electromancer and a couple rituals, and play dragonstorm with a relatively low storm count of 3 and then tutor out 4 Bogardan Hellkites for game. It's obviously not tier 1 but it's still a competitive decks I believe and even if I lose I'll still have fun playing it.already one once playtesting against my burn deck.
>>
>>43668011
Bloom
Scapeshift
Jund
Grixis Twin
>>
>>43668072
I'd just play the regular Grapeshot/Warrens one, faster and more consistent. Might b cool if all your opponents play even slower wannabe control.
>>
>>43668011
8rack
Ad Nauseam
Bloom
GR Tron

Anything involving turning more than one dude sideways more than once is boring.
>>
>>43668047
thanks anon

>Abzan Return?

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/deck-creation-modern/640511-abzan-return-to-the-ranks

pretty much the modern version of aristocrats. runs coco, abzan ascendancy to double the value of your death triggers, and return to the ranks to get all your stuff back.
>>
>>43660602
Replace the 4 probes for 4 chalices and cast them for x=1.
>>
>>43668011
UR Storm
Esper Control
Jeskai Control
Collected Chord
UW Titan Control
>>
>>43668011
>UR Storm
>Eggs
>Amulet Bloom
>>
>>43668739
>Eggs
Do you also breathe at 15 second intervals?
>>
>>43668083
This is true. Dragonstorm is honestly weaker. However it is easier to pilot so it does have that going for it. Traditional grapeshot UR storm is very punishing to play if you make a mistake and is just a lot harder to pilot. In UR Dragonstorm you're really only looking to resolve a turn 1 or 2 Lotus Bloom, then sculpt your hand using cantrips until you have a few rituals and the namesake card in hand, either that or if you couldn't get a Bloom out early then you try and resolve an electromancer and go off with about 3 rituals and the combo Card in hand.
>>
>>43668011
Hulk Footsteps
Infect
Mono U Tron
>>
File: Image-1.jpg (17 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image-1.jpg
17 KB, 223x310
How come no extra turn effects see play?
>>
>>43669244
Because the modern legal ones are bad and overcosted. If you like them there is a like tier4-5 MonoU deck called "Taking Turns" that is all about extra turn effects. It's pretty shit but that much is clear from the description.
>>
>>43668390
That's absolutely genius. It shuts down everything that attempts to kill my stuff, without killing my stuff!
>>
>>43668328
Call it Return to the Ranks like everyone else instead of confusing everyone with that name.

>I play Cleric Combo
>I play Dark Jund

See, unless you're actually expecting it, nobody will know I meant UR Twin and (vanilla) Jund.
>>
File: Walk-the-Aeons-MtG-Art.jpg (193 KB, 1000x722) Image search: [Google]
Walk-the-Aeons-MtG-Art.jpg
193 KB, 1000x722
>>43669271
5 mana to take an extra turn with time warp doesn't seem overcosted to me. I'm not interested in a horrible deck I'm just surprised that none really see play since its one of my favorite effects in mtg that and walk the aeons art is so perfect
>>
>>43669377
>>5 mana to take an extra turn with time warp doesn't seem overcosted to me.
New to modern, huh?
>>
File: Image.png (128 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
128 KB, 223x310
>>43669377
Taking an extra turn when all that means is that you draw a card and maybe activate planeswalker twice is shit. Specially if you have to tap out for that.

At that point, The Chain Veil is much much better.
>>
>>43669402
No. I understand 5 mana on a single card is pushing it but taking an entire turn is pretty powerful so it can't be too much less then that. Not new to modern either just lamenting that my favorite mechanic is not really playable unless I wanted to run it as a one of in a UW control deck just for fun.
>>
>>43660890
You post this deck in every thread I see. What are its results. Not to sound like a dick but it really doesn't look that good man
>>
>>43669517
That's the thing. As >>43669488 said: taking a turn is only as powerful as what you can do during that turn.
>>
>>43669517
>taking an entire turn is pretty powerful
It really isn't as poweful as you think it is. Taking turns is amazing only when you have a solid board (but by that logic you are sacrificing what limited (or non existent) slots you have for 5-6 cmc bomb creatures to make room for extra turn effects) or when the game is on super late game mode, which is a thing that hardly happens in modern.
>>
>>43669566
Yeah I figured that because you're probably tapping out to get the extra turn anyway it really only translates to an extra draw and a swing.
>>
>>43669566
Or alternatively if the effect is hilariously cheap (time walk basically).
>>
>>43669531
Don't feed the troll.
>>
>>43667394
Even if it seems dumb, that is what they do. The only constructed testing they do is for Standard, so the only data they have to judge a new card before release is in Standard. They have stated that they don't have the manpower to test other constructed formats, which seems odd to me.
>>
What should I aim to build next? I was thinking Grixis Twin since I have most of the pieces (pretty much everything besides the combo itself and cryptics), but idk if I should build something more up and coming.
>>
>>43669809
Just roll grixis control. It's an absolute blast to play. pls no rip
>>
>building
Grixis delver for my wife. Lack of snapcasters is killing me though. Y u so expensive?

>playing
UR delver counter burn jank. Pretty effective against the neckbeards at the LGS where I work.

>brewing
the best name i have for it is jund unleash/bolster. bunch of red/black creatures with unleash combo'd with hardened scales and green spells that add +1/+1 counters. Anyone got any suggestions other than >lel shit deck?
>>
>>43669953
I'm might if you link me. Just don't dump the list here.
>>
>>43669873
Got a decent deck list? And I thought about building it when I played grixis delver but now Im wondering how close the deck plays to what I'm currently playing (Jund)
>>
>>43669331
everyone calls it either abzan ascendancy or abzan return dumbass
>>
>2015
>not playing Hulk Footsteps
Why haven't you killed yourself yet?
>>
>>43670078
Browse around mtgtop8.com for some ideas. Lists are about as variable as your average GBx deck. I'm main junk myself but grixis is insanely fun with all the synergy it's packing. I would even say it's the best Kcommand deck. Though I will mention that, in my limited expirience, I've found it does not fair well against junk.
>>
4 Lotus Bloom
4 Mox Opal
4 Chromatic Star
4 Terrarion
4 Chromatic Sphere
1 Codex Shredder
4 Ichor Wellspring
4 Krark-Clan Ironworks

3 Thoughtcast
4 Faith's Reward
3 Open the Vaults
1 Banefire
4 Reshape

4 Island
1 Plains
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Ghost Quarter
3 Adarkar Wastes

SB
4 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Blind Obedience
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 Pyrite Spellbomb
2 Echoing Truth
3 Pyroclasm

R8 my list?
>>
>>43671205
What am I looking at?
>>
>>43671376
Everyone's favorite combo deck back from the dead, Eggs
>>
>>43662962
I think their logic is flawed, because you look at cards like MM, DRS ,DTT,TC and all those cards were good in standard, but not overwhelming while they were all to good in modern.
>>
>>43671205
>>43671376
It's KCI eggs. An attempt to make a cool but banned deck functional again. It's mostly bad.
>>
>>43671391
>Eggs
You die to RiP, Relic, Scooge (if he hits soon enough)
What turn are you winning on?
>>
>>43671692
Usually 4, but some T3 kills.
>>
>>43671721
>Turn 4
Splain.
>>
>>43671721
turn 4 and on the 40th minute
>>
>>43671778
What is there to explain?
here's an example:
T1 suspend Bloom(not needed) drop egg
T2 Reshape egg for another Lotus
T3 Eggs
T4 KCI sac field sac lotus cast Open/Faiths
>>
>>43668328
Well okay I knew that deck I just never heard it be called anything else than Aristocrats. Even the versions that doesn't run any cards called aristocrat.
I prefer it with Zulaports and no Ascendancy though. Still it's a fun deck to play.
>>
>>43671888
That sounds like it's so easy to disrupt, Jesus.
>>
>>43670485
You're the only person that posts about this garbage deck. It's just fucking awful.
It requires too many pieces and only exists in magic Christmas land.
Nobody plays it because it's horrible
>>
What would tg say is the best grixis deck in modern at the moment? I can't decide between control or twin and how many flip jaces is the right number. Currently on control with 2 jace but thinking twin might be the way to go.
>>
>>43672219
grixis twin is kinda "meh". Not sure about with jace but it wasn't that amazing before jace came out. I'd stick with the Gurmag angler / Kommand / ect plan for now.

Unrelated, but I have an entire affinity deck put together except for Arcbound Ravagers. I'm not ready to drop $200 on a playset right now. Can I make it work at the FNM level? I don't intend to do even ptq's or the like. My LGS has a pretty competitive meta though, lots of T1 decks.
>>
>>43672288
I guess you could try to slot in extra Masters and Etched if you aren't already running sets of those, but ravagers are what give the deck its explosive kills.
>>
>>43672330
I don't play affinity but it would probably work. I think you'd need to rely more on cranial plating/ensoul artifact type stuff though which makes you a bit slower and inconsistent but still a good deck.
>>
>>43669607
Except taking turns isn't using that turn just to draw one card.

The whole deck is built around dictate of kruphix and howling mines to draw a bunch more cards a turn, hit more time walks, and make an infinite chain of turns until you eventually mill your opponent out with jace beleren, or use combat with thassa or inkmoth nexus. And if you ever have to pass the turn, you should have a hand full of cryptics and gigadrowse and like 10 mana open. I've played the deck, its gotten top 8 at large events. It's pretty powerful, although definitely a rogue deck.
>>
>>43672362
I've been running it a little slower, with 2x spellskites mainboard, 4x etched champion instead of the 2 or 3 i'd be using normally, and 2 ensoul artifact instead of one.
>>
How viable do you think a mono red burn deck with no fetches would be for locals? I'm looking to get into magic and have 0 cardpool. In my playtests on xmage I perform ok but I can clearly see how nice fetches would be (mainly because Maya burn is much better). I'm not trying to do anything spectacular but getting into the top 8 at my lgs at least twice a month would be nice. My budget is around 250$ if that helps.

Here's my decklist http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-mono-red-burn-4/
>>
File: monoWemeria.jpg (66 KB, 295x557) Image search: [Google]
monoWemeria.jpg
66 KB, 295x557
Is it possible to make mono W in modern?

Have been screwing around last couple of days with this idea and this is something that came out of it. Although sideboard is still a question mark.
>>
If you are mono R the only thing you miss out on is the deck thinning, which over the course of a single FNM should be unnoticeable.
>>
>>43672585
It's like a Mono W DnT, I guess it could work, but GW is probably better
>>
>>43670362
I have heard both of far more than Return to the Ranks which that asshat thinks is common.
>>
>>43672219
Flip jace needs to stay in standard. He's bad. Bad.
>>
>>43672848
Is he 70 or 80/dollars good? No, but he isn't a terrible card. The looting is solid and his walker side is pretty good for a grindy game which is where grixis control and blue jund want to be. I don't think he should ever be a 4 of in anything but he is solid as a 2 of.
>>
>>43672969
>blue jund
Oh no... You're retarded
>>
>>43672969
The fuck is blue jund?
>>
>>43672585
>>43672626
I prefer mono W to GW for DnT. I feel like GW wants to be Wilted Abzan, or Naya Company. The best reason to play green is Noble Heirarch, and when you play Heirarch the extra mana make Collected Company look really appealing, so you play that and cut vial to keep the creature count up. Then you realize you could really do better than Flickerwisp now that you don't have vial, so you replace that with something like E Witness, and now you're playing a different deck.

Anyway, this is my DnT list:
Creatures: 29
3 Dryad Militant
2 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Leonin Arbiter
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Serra Avenger
1 Spellskite
1 Anafenza, Kin Tree Spirit
4 Flickerwisp
4 Blade Splicer
2 Aven Mindcensor
1 Mirran Crusader

Other Spells: 8
4 Aether Vial
4 Path to Exile

Lands: 23
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Tectonic Edge
1 Mutavault
1 Eiganjo Castle
15 Plains

Sideboard: 15
3 Auriok Champion
2 Sunlance
2 Rest in Peace
2 Kataki, War's Wage
2 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Mirran Crusader
1 Mark of Asylum
1 Spellskite
1 Disenchant
>>
>>43673231
I think it's just Jund with flip Jace.
I saw a deck tech with it the other day. Some guy had played it to some success, but that may just be because Jund is good so putting in 2 Jaces doesn't fuck it up.
>>
>>43673231
>>43673351
Okay scratch that. I found the video and it was blue junk.
>>
>>43673351
Honesty if you're going to splash blue for something to help with grindy matchups, splash a fucking Snapcaster Mage.
>>
>>43673425
Snapcaster is way less useful if all you've got to flash back is removal
>>
>>43660602
Just play Legacy Dragon Stompy, anon.
>>
>>43673461
But honestly that's all Junk needs in a grindy matchup. I've played against it plenty of times, and if they had one more path I would've been screwed.
>>
>>43673231
It's grixis control but hardly no counters, added hand disruption and with Lilly and Bob. The deck isn't tier 0 but it has potential and the pieces synergize well.
>>
Is it retard hour? Why are you all morons?
>>
>>43673687
I'm not a moron I'll have you know, I've been lurking and watching these assholes
>>
>>43673687
Well why don't you enlighten us with your greater knowledge then?
>>
>>43668011
UR Delver (faeries edition)
NivMagus
Tezzeret Control
Cruel Control
>>
The thing I hate about modern is how many good stuff decks there are, and how strong they are.
Jund and junk being the main perpetrators
>>
>>43668011
Skred
Affinity
Aggro loam
>>
>>43673844
There are too many linear decks in general
>>
Does inkmoth nexus cause triggers from etc? Such as soul warden or Genesis chamber?

I figured it wouldn't because it is becoming a creature. Wording is finicky though so if someone could clear it up, it would be much appreciated
>>
>>43674085
Etb *
>>
What's the core cards of UWR midrange?
>>
>>43674085
If it does not enter the battlefield, then it doesn't count as entering the battlefield. Changing a card's types doesn't change what zone it's in.
>>
>>43673243
How does the match ups hold on to you?

Seems like your deck goes more for the fast games, while m list is grindy as hell. Wonder why you don't have 4x Ghostly prison, seems to wreck every fair deck out there. Is Dryad militant good enough to justify a slot or what you think of Judge's familiar? Serra avenger is also a card that was in the list of "test this out", but it seems like it's not too good in modern and you really would like to have every single creature to have some function outside of being a beater. Also not sure why there isn't a restoration angel? Also in one game I resolved 3 ghost quarters on tron and still lost, so somehow felt they ain't too crazy, but I wonder why not to play flagstones with them to see if it's better to just get plains for yourself?

I really liked this deck, a lot more fun than mono U tron. Trying to get rid off the cards I had in that list to get on mono W.

And how the fuck do I ever get aether vials holy shit those are expensive. Everything else is manageable.
>>
So as someone pretty new to magic I have a few ruling questions. I come from yugioh so to me this should work one way but idk if the ruling works in magic.

Say I have an effect that activates whenever something enters the battlefield, hypothetically speaking I gain 1 life. If I use empty the warrens or another spell that would place more than 1 permanent on the board simultaneously. Do I gain 1 life or does my effect activate for every permanent placed?

As a similiar question, there is a sphinx creature (it's blue) that lets you draw 2 whenever your opponent draws a card. If I used ancestral recall (not legal I know) and my opponent co trolled that sphinx, would he draw 2 cards or 6 cards? In other words is ancestral recalls drawing 3, 3 sperate draws or 1 simultaneous draw effect?
>>
>>43674273
You gain 1 life for each creature.

6 draws. Sphinx triggers - one trigger per card drawn - resolve after Ancestral Recall (or Brainstorm for a more realistic senerio).
>>
>>43674119
Traftghost
Celestial
Restoration Angel
Snappy
Crying because your deck isn't competitive.
>>
>>43674119
You'd be better off playing mardu
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
34 KB, 223x310
>>43669271
>Because the modern legal ones are bad and overcosted.
>>
>>43674897
>modern miracles
I kinda wish you would just go away
>>
>>43675461
>>
>>43660499
>playing
Affinity for real, goblins for living the dream

> matchups
Pretty even across the board for affinity. K-command is frustrating though.

For goblins, most matchups are bad :(

>unbanned
Unban jace, rise of blue control, goblins suddenly viable
>>
File: suicidezoooo.jpg (724 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
suicidezoooo.jpg
724 KB, 1632x1224
What do you know about pain?
>>
>>43676222
What am I even looking at?
>>
>>43672585
After several games with D&T :
_No combo/control meta = no chocolate
_No mother of runes = no chocolate for creatures without fly (wich is a big deal with only thalia and arbiter on the board T4)
>>
File: RAPESHIFT.jpg (153 KB, 600x1066) Image search: [Google]
RAPESHIFT.jpg
153 KB, 600x1066
>>43660499
Finished this beauty after 2 months on PucaTrade. Now I can play modern monday. I'm still a bit scared of affinity because no shatterstorms yet.
>>
>>43676222
Suicide zoo? Neat.
>>
>>43666434
What would you call lantern control then?
>>
>>43677118
Not viable.
Tah dah!
>>
>>43675678
Maybe I'm missing something, but how does goblins become viable with a Jace unban? Is goblins historically good against UW?
>>
>>43677073
I'm liking this, though I'm wondering, if you're already running 4 BtL, why run 4 Scapeshift too?
I feel like you could run 2 scapeshift and use those slots for something else.
>>
>>43677188
If you say so m8
>>
>>43677229
Okay, I shouldn't say not viable, it sure as hell isn't viable in my Meta. But give me a list of its good and bad matchups.
>>
File: asdasdasd.png (1 MB, 1280x992) Image search: [Google]
asdasdasd.png
1 MB, 1280x992
Reminder that illusions is still the best T1 deck.
>>
>>43674250
My best matchups are unfair decks which have trouble with Arbiter and Thalia. U Tron, Burn, Storm, Bloom Titan, and the like. The worst MUs are Merfolk and Elves: fast, redundant, mono-colored creature decks which are immune to our hate.

I do think that DnT has to be somewhat fast in Modern to capitalize on the tempo gain from Thalia and Arbiter.

I don't run Ghostly Prison main because it's bad with Thalia and against Tron, Control, and Combo.

The deck needs some kind of one drop (alongside Vial) and I think Militant is better than Familiar because it's a stronger beater and its ability is better when it matters.

I used to play with Resto Angel, but I lost too many games with one or two stuck in my hand wishing it was something I could cast. Mainboard, 4 mana is too much in a 23 land deck that agressively uses Ghost Quarter and Tec Edge.

If you want to play a more control style deck, look into UW Sun Titan and Wb Martyr Proc. Both are white based control decks with Emeria.
>>
>>43677325
The only things I hate playing against with it are burn and tron. After SB tron is no problem, but burn is still a high threat.

Everything else has answers to what you're trying to do, but there are always ways around it. Game one is almost always a free win except vs tron and burn.

I'd play it anywhere that burn isn't 60% of the meta.
>>
>>43677219
To tell you the truth, I don't have much I could run in this slot. I'm looking for hunting wilds and damnation, but I'd rather perfect the mana base first with 1-2 mistys and breeding pools.
>>
>>43668072
Dragonstorm

>>43669377
Walk the Aeons

>>43670485
Hulk Footsteps

>>43671205
Eggs

>>43672585
Mono W

>>43674897
Miracles

>>43676222
Suicide Zoo

Do you guys honestly win with this shit?

I wouldn't even be able to take down FNM with this kind of garbage, let alone a PTQ.
>>
>>43676785
Yeah, the lack of Mom hurts far more than the lack of ports or wastes.
>>
>>43668011
Bloom

WOTC killed my enjoyment of Twin by banning DTT and UR Delver by getting rid of Treasure Cruise, they also killed Birthing Pod before I was able to finish it. If it wasn't for Bloom I'd have zero interest in the format and would stick to Legacy. It'll probably only be a few months until Bloom is axed as well. It's really a shame, I remember how much fun I had in the Treasure Cruise era when I thought of the format as Legacy light, now it's clearly Standard plus. Fuck Wizards.
>>
>>43677876
I've won several FNM's with the list here:
>>43673243
>>
>>43678049
I know the feeling. I've been getting fucked by bannings for ages.
>>
>>43678186
I tried Mono W years ago... I can't even remember what decks fucked me in the ass.
>>
>>43678049
I still don't think bloom is consistent enough to get killed.

I hope not anyway, cause then they'd come for grishoalbrand next.
>>
>>43678049
Are you me? My pod deck got banned a month after I finished it. Swapped to legacy after that.
>>
infect bros, how has FNM been. any secret tech you been working on with the deck
>>
>>43666099

I want to believe
>>
>>43678305
>Are you me?
No you fucking idiot. Stop saying this
>>
>>43678049
>>43678305
Good. Pod was terrible for the meta and braindead to boot
>>
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ftl/115 (The Poison was the Cur deck)
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-giant-deck/

Are either of these a good deck to build to start playing the game? I've played a handful of games with my friends before. I was thinking of building one of these and getting a deckbuilder kit.
>>
>>43678460
Pls don't post unrelated
>>
>>43678325
We had someone bring in infect last Friday.

I was hoping to get matched up with him (playing Affinity and wanted to get revenge from my Tron-playing days), but he got absolutely shit on by Podless (Chord into Melira) early on.

Tbh, I'm surprised it isn't seeing more play with the death of Pod, but there is a lot of removal in the format.
>>
>>43678460
>Are either of these a good deck to build to start playing the game?
Nope. These are both quite terrible.
>>
>>43678404
Only after they printed Siege Rhino
>>
>>43678494
what build does he use becuase BUG does not have any real problem with podless
>>
Is there any reason to run chandra pyromaster over outpost siege now?
Sure, she pings but the enchantment is much less vulnerable.
Her ultimate is a little underwhelming too
>>
>>43678831
one is more flexible
>>
File: image.jpg (188 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188 KB, 640x1136
Bloom doesn't need a ban.

They need to print a new design to hose up the Hive Mind kill and/or prevent Titan triggers.

The same way they printed Rending Volley to hose up Twin in DTK. Banning is not the answer, there's plenty of design space to work with.

Something like a symmetrical Hallowed Moonlight for copies of spells, for example.

"If a copy of a spell would be put on the stack, exile it instead."

For Titan

"Creature abilities for creatures not entering the battlefield don't trigger. Any player may pay X to ignore this effect until end of turn where X is the number of times this has been paid for." Etc
>>
>>43679094
i really don't know why people wanna cry for a ban on Bloom anyway, its literally a low shot of actually going off. Most of the time your ass just gets kicked or you mulligan down to 3.
>>
File: image.jpg (708 KB, 1383x898) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
708 KB, 1383x898
>>43679163
I went 3-1 in modern one night at my LGS on Bloom. My one loss was to a mono R zoo deck that went 1-3. I had mulligan to mulligan to 3 keeping amulet and two bounce lands. I died with no permanents in play. Beat UR Twin, Abzan/Junk, and Naya Zoo that night. Sometimes your draw just doesn't come together. Not much you can do.

On the other hand one time I had an opponent on like a budget tier 3 burn deck scoop to a turn 0 Leyline of Sanctity. I asked why and he goes "I just don't have enough non direct damage in my deck to win" haha
>>
>>43679345
I played against a few Amulet blooms before, I was playing around with a BUG control brew, always kept a counterspell or a kill spell on hand if they played prime time or Hive mind.

Most of the time they lost or i lost because they got an early combo started. Still, Amulet Bloom really shouldn't be banned, its not like it was the old Storm decks before all the good combo pieces were banned.
>>
This was my first attempt at my own deck, I wanted to make something that focused on getting big creatures from the grave to the field as fast as possible. Any changes you guys would recommend? lets pretend price is of no consequence.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-11-15-bg-undying/?cat=price
>>
What should I play either affinity or infect? Keep in mind I have most of the cards for infect.
>>
>>43679528
depends, how much do you wanna piss your opponent off?
>>
>>43678672
Semi-budget (Heirarchs, but no black).
>>
>>43679528
What's your meta like?
>>
>>43679575
god why
>>
>>43677073
>4 BTL
>4 scapeshift
>1 snapcaster
>telling time

just fuck my deck up senpai
>>
>>43679094
I hope they dont ban bloom. even if I dont play it I find it cool as fuck. I think it kind of embodies well what an mtg deck from an eternal format should be.

btw, I never played against pod. was it really that unfair? it seems like it was pretty cool to pilot
>>
>>43679552
A bit, but not to exteme.

>>43679611
All over the place. Mostly Twin and burn.

How viable is affinty without archbound?
>>
>>43679725
It wasn't really unfair, it was just a toolboxy kind of deck with like a few cards for infinite combos. It was fun while it lasted.
>>
>>43679094
i dont think they would be retarded enough to ban bloom, the deck is fine and super cool, it doesnt dominate the meta at all like pod did and it doesnt take a year like eggs

i dont think they should ban anything, they just need to print more tools to compete with the linear strategies in the format. and something to compete with the desire to splash for red since its currently the strongest modern splash.

sword of the meek could get unbanned but i really dont think it does much
>>
>>43679725
it was fun as fuck and very cool. but the problems of the deck arose with maro's wild etb creature ride. every set had a new disgustingly powerful value creature whether it was voice, siege rhino, etc. Instead of toning down on printing op creatures, maro decided fuck pod and banned it so he could continue printing creatures instead of a good modern counterspell
>>
How P2W is Magic Origins online?
>>
>>43679691
He's a newer player. Started in RtR or something like that.
>>
>>43679969
tell him it needs noble
>>
>>43679999
"Heirarchs, but no black" = it has nobles
>>
>>43679506
No one has any input for me?
>>
>>43680040
o shit miss read, tell him he only needs one overgrown tome and then abrupt decay in the side board
>>
>>43680087
I think he's short on moneys.
>>
>>43680333
when he moves the deck forward if he wants to that's how you stop that
>>
>>43680348
I already told him. I think he's going to just add Dismember to the side instead of shelling out for the third color.
>>
>>43680373
there are enchantments to worry about as well
>>
>>43679920
it's pretty terrible value, even Jace isn't enough. I'm an 1800 limited player and have played 30 or so drafts of the 6-2-2-2 swiss and am down 40-50 tickets.
>>
WHAT THE FUCK I HAVENT FOLLOWED MAGIC IN A WHILE BUT WHY AND WHEN DID THEY UNBAN JITTE
>>
>>43672585
As a person who has played both death and taxes and emeria control that list is a bad combination of both decks. you would be better off chosing one and playing that.
>>
>>43680485
Woops ignore this post they didn't unban it :^)
>>
Wee Dragonauts or Kiln Fiend? Looking to fill some creature slots in a U/R Delver and Talrand deck I'm throwing together for next week.
>>
>>43669377
>>43669244
There was a a UG takin' turns deck a year ago or something- it didn't go anywhere. I think there was a mono blue version and a UG variant that also abused doubling season + Jace, architect nonsense
>>
>>43681359
young pyromancer, snapcaster, and swiftspear is all you need
>>
>>43679806
They should just go wild and unban a ton of shit from out of nowhere
>Sword of the Meek
>Ancestral Vision
>Seething Song
>Bloodbraid
>JTMS
>Preordain
>whichever the least useful artifact land is

They can release the next Modern Masters with all the shiny new toys having new art and make fat stacks
>>
Maybe it's just me being new but blue has to be the most annoying color in magic. Everything I do is just remand ;) or snapcaster back my lightning bolt because Fuck you. Whenever I lose to a blue deck it always feels very onesided as opposed to an actual fun match
>>
>>43681751
>Least useful artifact land
The forest one. The forest one would do nothing for Affinity.
>>
>>43680073
It looks bad. You just hope to draw zombify and not get your yard exiled?
>>
>>43681968
Yea unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything sends creatures from library to grave that's legal or anything particularly good at reviving them. Believe me I'm not expecting to consistently beat meta or anything. It's just a deck whose style of play I enjoy.I just didn't know if there were any cards that might function better
>>
>>43681881
You'd probably see tarmogoyf in affiny if that was unbanned.
>>
>>43681881
Eh maybe Id start running Ancient Stirring mainboard and Choke sideboard.
>>
File: BLOW ME AWAY.gif (2 MB, 599x334) Image search: [Google]
BLOW ME AWAY.gif
2 MB, 599x334
>Kolaghan's Command counters everything Stoneforge Mystic does in one card
>Stoneforge still not unbanned

Are they just too busy having Cawblade flashbacks or something?
>>
>>43681751
I could see sword and preordain getting unbanned.
>>
How do you feel about vexing shusher?
>>
When is the next ban list update?
>>
>>43682099
Only a limited amount of decks can run Kolaghan's Command. Yeah, it would give BR or BRx decks a great advantage but it would suck for everyone else.
>>
>>43682433
whens the next set released? that's your answer.
>>
>>43679806
>sword of the meek could get unbanned but i really dont think it does much

Eheheh, not by itself anyway...
>>
so what's the deal with "fair" decks vs "unfair"?
what constitutes unfair?
>>
Brewing up a cheapo RG zoo deck so i can play in modern events with the plan to upgrade to naya burn/zoo when i get the money to
>>
>>43682761
I wasn't playing around that time but the sword of meek/thopter assembly combo looks pretty tame to me, especially when you consider twom, infect, and titan bloom. Although I could be wrong here.
>>
>>43682948
Sounds smart. I'd buy eidolons before they go up in price
>>
>>43683067
>pretty tame

You may be right. All I know is I'm jamming gifts reanimator and thopter foundry in the same deck if sword comes off the list.
>>
>>43683089
Why would they go up much more?
>>
who elves here

clik like
>>
>>43683390
modern season is coming
>>
>>43683505
>tfw i took money out of my bar mitzvah savings account and bought a ton of snapcasters to sell during modern season
>>
>>43683390
A few reasons. 1) the set just rotated so they'll be there lowest
2) the set wasnt drafted much
3) the set was pretty low power level and that was basically the only good card.
>>
>>43683119
Maybe something with monestry mentor too. That card is just waiting to see play in modern.
>>
>>43683560
It's bad.
>>
This the first MTG deck I've made. Looking for something to bring to modern night at my local game store to sort of suss out the fomat and how other decks work.

Creatures
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Blistercoil Weird
4 Mage-ring Bully
1 Bellows Lizard
1 Abbot of Keral Keep
1 Zurgo Bellstriker
1 Goblin Glory Chaser

Planeswalkers
1 Chandra, Roaring Flame

Soercery/Enchantments
4 Infectious Bloodlust
2 Roast

Instants
3 Lightning Bolt
3 Temur Battle Rage
4 Titans Strength
4 Twin Bolt
2 Fiery Impulse
1 Outnumber
1 Sure Strike

19 Mountain

Open to any suggestions that'd make this build maybe win a game when I take it down. Would more Chandra be a good idea?
Ty men
>>
>>43683829
you won't get any response here. maybe in time you will learn
>>
>>43682940
A fair deck plays magic by running disruption and threats in some combination to win, unfair decks are using card synergies to win on the spot.

Basically aggro/control is fair, combo is unfair
>>
>>43683930
No responses on a modern list in the modern general? Why not?
>>
>>43681813
Id rather play against snapcaster than amuletbloom
>>
>>43679094
Modern doesn't need more silver bullets
>>
>>43684129
That is nowhere near a Modern list
>>
>>43683663
How so?
>>
>>43679163
Whenever I play bloom I find it consistent and reasonably resilient. Its built more like a storm combo deck, with a bunch of redundant pieces so most hands with acceleration and a kill con or a serum visions can get there by turn 3-4
>>
>>43684203
Its a control finisher that's non synergistic with the cards control plays
>>
>>43682940
Unfair decks are combos that straight up win on the spot or otherwise break the "normal" rules that other decks play by.

For example:

Twin has a very efficient unfair combo but can also play "fair" with snapcaster and exarch beats, which is why it has always been succesful in Modern, and why many people hate it. Unfair decks shouldn't get to play fair too.

A combo like Pyromancer's Ascension storm isn't infinite or enabled by any specific combination of cards, but the "engine" of rituals, cantrips, Ascension and PiF lets you break what is normaly possible in Magic and cast 20 spells in one turn for lethal. That's unfair.

Tron LOOKS like a fair deck because it just plays lands and spells, but the ability to make 7 mana with 3 lands far outstrips anything any other deck is capable of, enabling huge bombs like Emrakul to come out in 7 or 8 turns. Tron is unfair.

"Classic" burn decks which only play instants and sorceries are usually considered unfair as well because they can ignore the opponents creatures and removal, but Modern burn decks are reliant on their creatures for their fastest/most powerful starts, so I would say Burn is fair, but just barely.
>>
>>43678049
WoTC killed my enjoyment of the format by banning Storm out of the format. Seriously that deck was so much fun to pilot
>>
>>43684311
It's still around. It's just tier 2 now
>>
>>43684198
Oi
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.