[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I haven't played a lot of D&D, and have recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 300x168
So I haven't played a lot of D&D, and have recently asked my friends to join their game, they told me that they have 2 spots open..I can be the DM or I can be a support/buffer/healer/not directly fighting type character

I chose the former. Since I dont know everything about D&D, such as lore, or specific monsters...how they interact..where they would be. Am I fucked?

So far this is my plan:
1.players are a new group of adventurers seeking fame, fortune, etc. etc.
2. they said they just want to explore, so I let them pick a direction and chose north..
3. They will be going north fighting barbarians, bears, wolves, pissed off dwarves and whatnot.
4. I hope this next part doesn't sound too....bad (they come across a dwarf vs barbarian war, in the middle is a large castle, manned by many different races defending a relic.
5. the Dwarves want the land beneath the relic, rich with ores and metals
6. The barbarians want the relic of their lost king, and are willing to destroy anything to "save it"
7. relic cant be moved because its stopping some ancient evil from escaping, otherwise its a very powerful greatsword.
8. in the event its removed, everything goes to shit, armies of the dead roam the frozen north, dwarves and barbarians hate each other etc.

I assume the players wouldn't let the evil out and protect it by picking a side and helping to destroy the other. now I don't know how many sessions we got, but I assume I could fill in sessions with questing for levels, exploring and tackling the war in the north when they are around level 10?

I just want them to have fun really, and not be pissed off the whole time.
>>
>>43648493
You fucked up. You could have played a Wizard.
>>
File: animushrug.gif (1 MB, 540x349) Image search: [Google]
animushrug.gif
1 MB, 540x349
>>43648493

>play a cleric
>still out-damage all the other players
>>
>>43648493
>I dont know everything about D&D, such as lore, or specific monsters...how they interact
Dude. Who the fuck cares. Make whatever you want in your world.

Your plan is fine except your should figure out what to due if they don't want to head north. Unless they already told you "north".

You should keep in mind: What if your PCs aren't willing to help either side and are just out for them selves. Other then that just roll with the punches.
>>
>>43648558
they said north
not really sure what I would do if they would just shrug and walk away..maybe they run astray to some cult that worships a different relic, that belonged to some barbarian tribe of the north and are collecting all the relics to reform some ancient warrior golem...thing

>>43648541
>>43648524
no...they very annoyingly said I needed to be their healer, loot mule, hold this, open that door while we watch...character. mostly because they felt that 5 was too many for their team. frankly I call bullshit but whatever.

I did want to do a cleric that worshipped the cuthbert diety, thought it would be fun bashing stupid peoples heads, and then making them join my church.
>>
>>43648634
Then you're a bitch either way. Don't play with the group.

They just proved to themselves they can push you around and will do so without care for your enjoyment.
*Don't play with that group.*
Use the Gamefinder threads and find a newbie friendly game online.
>>
>>43648634

This group sounds like it is composed of assholes.

You know what they say, no game is better than a bad game. Leave these shits immediately.
>>
>>43648656
>>43648685
well I guess that answers that...

Normally their pretty cool to hang around. their D&D group is just super serious I guess. thanks for the input. Im gonna finish the campaign and then give them a choice on it.

Either I get my cleric who fights, and someone runs this campaign

or

fuck you guys
>>
>>43648790
Seriously, don't listen to these fa/tg/uys. You get as much out of a group as you put in, especially if you can make/are friends with them. It sounds like they'd rather play YOUR game than whoever else would be DMing, which I would take as a compliment.

As long as you don't act like an asshole. you'll probably be able to make it work and face to face RP has so lots of fun shit to offer...
>>
First time DMing can be fun if you have an idea what you're doing. Try it out for a bit. You may never want to go back as a player.

Just remember to be quick on your toes, make sure you know your options. Don't try to predict your players' actions. Just be flexible, have the world out there as detailed as you want it to be, and have fun.

Also, BE FAIR.
>>
>>43648493
>I dont know everything about D&D, such as lore, or specific monsters...how they interact..where they would be
honestly, as much as it bothers me to say this, it depends entirely on the setting, its good to have the monster manual for stats refference, but as for monster enviroments and organizacion, you as the dm is the one thats gonna decide that

on the other hand, im gonna take your plot for my current setting and twist it a little if you dont mind

ill also share what ill change from your plot

>ancient relic is a legendary earth elemental mace
>stuck in the ground in the exact center of the castle
>if taken away it will release a powerfull and very angry Dao (an earth gene)

this can then take several paths

1.-dao gets free, wrecks havock to dwarfs and barbarians and leaves, becoming a future BBEG the party has to defeat but they are too low lvl for now

2.-dao gets free and party has to wreck his ass getting both sides to unite to be able to defeat the gene

3.- party talks to dao and asks for a reward for releasing him, dao grants party 3 limited wishes, or 2 limited + 1 unlimited

4.- dao gets free... and you come up with something else
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.