[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your /tg/ related trigger(s)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73
File: 1423603924440.jpg (42 KB, 473x603) Image search: [Google]
1423603924440.jpg
42 KB, 473x603
>I'm playing a bard
>>
>>43647003
>Magnus did something wrong
>>
Is this what you do? Just go on /tg/ and make bait threads?

In all seriousness "Lol, it's what my character would do." types
>>
File: [Pusheen Intensifies].gif (1 MB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
[Pusheen Intensifies].gif
1 MB, 350x300
>>43647003

>players using PvP to push other people around

>>43647013

This, also. Especially combined with the above.
>>
>>43647013
It's almost like an invasion. There's almost every single conceivable shitty type of thread up at the moment. Excuse me, HFY, a psedudo-/wst/, Counterfeit cards, Elf Slave, it's all right there.
>>
File: 1427357420837.png (540 KB, 456x627) Image search: [Google]
1427357420837.png
540 KB, 456x627
>>43647003
>there's an option for rolling, but we're doing point buy
>electronic dice
>breaking narrative to point out a misuse of a rule
>opening to a creature's stats while fighting it as a player
>making a bunch of numbers and skills instead of a character
>oh yeah my character could so totally kill your character isn't he great?
>>
>>43647003
>my character is seeking revenge!
>>
File: 1445094964794.jpg (112 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1445094964794.jpg
112 KB, 500x334
>>43647003
>GM: "So this setting is inspired by (culture) and the races available are (race 1, race 2, race 3, race 4, and race 5. Races 6 and 7 are also available but are uncommon, and race 8 is very rare. Races 9 and 10 don't exist in my campaign setting. All classes are available except this one."

>"I want to play race 9 and the banned class."
>>
File: 1447382426308.png (315 KB, 586x720) Image search: [Google]
1447382426308.png
315 KB, 586x720
>>43647398
>"Oh okay, for what?"
>"His entire village was burned down so he became a secret assassin, he prefers to work alone and hates being told what to do"
>>
File: 1439343951060.jpg (1 MB, 2234x1498) Image search: [Google]
1439343951060.jpg
1 MB, 2234x1498
>>43647003
>why aren't we playing (system)
>I want to play (system)
>(system) is so much better than what we're playing
>you could make the character you want in (system) instead of these dumb options
>(system) has better rules for that
>this would be so much more fun in (system)
>battles in (system) are way more fun and deep
>"So why don't you run a game of (system) for us?"
>I don't want to GM, I want to play
>>
>>43647003
>Rolling sucks, I want point buy so I can be guaranteed a super-high stat!
And this>>43647428
Those are the main things that make me want to kill players.
>>
>>43647003
>I thought we could use this weeks session of [long-running campaign] to play this indie game, ForeverDM
>>
>>43647428
>>43647013
>>43647026
So fucking these.
>>43647375
>breaking narrative to point out a misuse of a rule
>making a bunch of numbers and skills instead of a character
>oh yeah my character could so totally kill your character isn't he great?
And these from this post. Honestly leaking stats is not a problem if the player is say, a ranger and made a high Nature roll or something. The stats are sometimes the best and most brief way to convey information, but I can see how some people might find that to be immersion-breaking. The point buy protesting is childish though; both methods are good, but honestly the best is a combo of the two. I have toyed with it a bit, and for D&D, allowing players to assign three stats with points then roll the other three has some pretty fun results. That way, you can play what you want, and your "dump stats" are randomized.
>>
File: tictactoe tryhard_1.png (21 KB, 480x678) Image search: [Google]
tictactoe tryhard_1.png
21 KB, 480x678
>>43647003

>The GM doesn't know the rules of the game he's running
>Handwaves or changes everything to the point that it's a completely different game than the one I signed up for
>"Lmao who cares m8 are you some kind of rules lawyer"
>>
>>43647003
>players that self-insert themselves as a snow-flake character
>>
>>43647428
This, one of my players is obsessed with world of warcraft Dwarves and refuses to play anything else. When I pitched my campaign which has Dwarves as basically Gully Dwarves or Derro.
Bitched a fit about how I was specifically targeting him and trying to hinder his fun.
>>
>>43647564
>world of warcraft
Found the problem
>>
>>43647564
>obsessed with [thing] and refuses to play anything else
WHY DIDN'T THESE PEOPLE DIE AT BIRTH
>>
>>43647003

>People that let their children be bratty in public
>>
>>43647623
>/tg/ related
>>
File: 1237158311286.gif (4 KB, 412x253) Image search: [Google]
1237158311286.gif
4 KB, 412x253
>>43647003
Party consists of
>Karalas bin Raska the master duelist from the oasis realm
>Vishkard von Magnus, the knight from the misty isles
>Elias Vallandar, the priest from the mountains
>Rickert McMerrin, the thief-acrobat from the metropolis
>and Bob the mage from I dunno
>>
>the players will be a team of highly trained black ops agents recruited from the military
>"my character is a convicted criminal who fought that military in a losing war"
>>
>>43647073

It comes in waves, cycles of shitposting that wax and wane, as inexorable as the tides and as inexplicable as the shifting of the desert sands under the ephemeral winds.
>>
File: 1274319609989.jpg (17 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
1274319609989.jpg
17 KB, 460x288
>>43647729
I hate when this shit happens.
>"This nation is hated, they started a war, killed a lot of people, were slavers, were pedophiles, had institutionalized racism, forced their complex caste system on neighboring nations, extorted allies, funded wars to prop up puppet rulers they could control, committed genocide, created magical superweapons that caused widespread devastation, and even in defeat they manage to be bitches about it and everyone hates them and their people aren't welcome anywhere."
>"I want to play one of them"
>>
>>43647632

If you don't think that's /tg/ related, you've never been to an LGS used as a daycare.
>>
File: [Cries in Spanish].jpg (35 KB, 540x380) Image search: [Google]
[Cries in Spanish].jpg
35 KB, 540x380
>>43647776
>>
>>43647746
I just call it the weekend.
>>
>>43647770
People are drawn to outcast characters for some reason. It's almost like a significant portion of tabletop gamers spent their formative years as socially troubled misfits or something.
>>
I know the fashionable thing around here to do is shit on Tumblr, but there's really need to use "trigger" outside of its intended usage.

Fuck's sake, just say "shit that sets me off, grinds my gears, etc"

On topic: I mistrust anyone who wants to spellcaster in a d20 game.
>>
>>43647840
A group of people who all want to be rogues and fighters and such suck. Because one person (usually me) gets stuck as the one true spellcaster when it comes to exploiting elemental weaknesses and shit.
>>
>>43647715
Sorry man I couldn't think of a character
>>
>>43647812
>tabletop gamers spent their formative years as socially troubled misfits
Hey, that's one of my triggers! Edgecunts go home. If you were at any given instant in your life a goth I don't want to know you or know OF you.

Being a nerd's fine if you were a thin-type nerd, but fat-type nerds are not welcome.
>>
>>43647484
May I ask, as a sort of just bit of a jackass: What is this (system) you particularly name here?
>>
>>43647899
Guess.
>>
>>43647715
I could list just the first four as a pet peeve. Would it hurt you fagmachines to TALK for five minutes about your character concepts and make a coherent group instead of a Eurovision final?
>>
>>43647891
The irony, of course, is that you're being an edgy little shit right now.
>>
>>43647891
>having social trouble makes you an edgelord
Oh wow, that's a new one.
>>
>>43647929
>>43647946
>t. fat-type nerds
>>
>>43647918
No man it has to be a surprise, I want to create a zanny cgaracter that gets a bunvh of laughs with his schtick and it won't work if people know beforehand
>>
>>43647746
>>43647073
>>43647013
>being this mad
>being this whiny
>being this melodramatic
>thinking that shitposting about shitposting isn't still shitposting

How about a nice hot cup of kill yourselves?
>>
>>43648012
This. The very idea of calling Excuse Me Commissar threads shitposting in the first place.
>>
>>43647003
>eats food that has the potential to make a mess after being asked not to do so
>tries to hide it in a sweat shirt pocket
>inevitably makes a mess
>doesn't say anything
>grabs PHB with nasty cheetos fingers

>Makes the exact same character personality and ability wise in every game played
>only stats and race differ

>cheats and die rolls
>has caught die in mid roll and called out that it was x number

>adds random magic weapons to character claiming that they were bought during downtime in x city
>says that he spent enough money proves it
>GM says dude you can't just buy a vorpal sword
>throws temper tantrum

>does things to undermine the party
>like not mentioning threats they can see that other might not

>fights with other characters attempting to kill them

Finally the player that is chronically late or calls out at the very last second.
Seriously Steve FUCK YOU you've ruined more game that way than anyone I know of.
>>
>>43647003

People who throw a shitfit about rolling for stats.

You guys have no idea who I am and what my opinion is like outside of this singular post, so this warrants explanation.

I have always maintained, and in fact still do to this day, the opinion that rolling for stats is kind of awful, because I enjoy looking at a game system, picking out a role or type of character I want to play, and just playing it. This preference aside, rolling for stats does little to help randomize a personality as well. Trying to induce characterization through stat rolling is stupid and nonsensical and that there are better ways to generate a personality and background than looking at your STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA distribution, or whatever your system's equivalent stat system is.

The point is, I don't really like stat rolling because I like deciding what I want to play and going from there, and in cases where I should want the dice to tell me what I am going to play, there are more effective means of randomly getting ideas than by rolling for your stats.

However.

Having been in and GMed a few games where the GM/I myself decided to use random stat generation, I have noticed that the premise of rolling for stats helps a great deal in filtering certain kinds of players. For want of a better term, I am going to call them Bitch Players. You know the kind. The type of players that just get pissy or annoyed if they don't get exactly what they want. They can't take things in stride, and any minor setbacks in their plans induce passive aggressiveness and... well, bitchiness.
>>
>>43648293

On the other hand, players who do like dice rolling have a tendency to be the opposite. They're the underdog who takes a bad situation as a challenge. The kind of guy who works with the situation he's given, even if it seems unfair. The guy who isn't afraid of the bones rolling poorly for him. THIS is the attitude that is absolutely imperative for good gaming, because obviously for a game to be interesting, PCs usually are going to be working in unfavorable situations! How exciting would it be if everything went according to plan and you never had to struggle a little?

Obviously this isn't always true and there are the exceptions to the rule, but taken as a whole, I find the attitudes displayed by people who enjoy rolling for stats to make for a far better gaming environment than those who are vehemently against it.

TLDR: Rolling for stats is bad for generating a character but good for generating a proper mentality towards games in general. If you're the guy who has to have point buy or he can't deal, you're probably a bitch player, in my experience.
>>
>>43647003
>"Bards are great"
>"My setting has a China/Japan analogue"
>"My setting has Dwarves/Elves"
>"My setting has Vancian Magic"
>"My setting doesn't have guns"
>"It's spelled Magick"
>>
>>43648293
>>43648307
I can't find the subscribe button
>>
>>43648307
I am fortunate enough to have an entire group like this.
>>
>>43648012
>>43648035
Shitposters detected.
>>
File: fuck leaves.jpg (6 KB, 251x172) Image search: [Google]
fuck leaves.jpg
6 KB, 251x172
>Combat starts
>DM doesn't ask for initiative
>Does combat fully freeform

HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHEN I CAN ACT
>>
>>43648282
I would kick someone like that from the play group.
>>
>>43647916
In my games it's either people bitching for Ad&d 2nd when currently everything is on a more functional homebrew that mixes 3.5th and 4th edition into a more cohesive thing allowing us to bring in more content from other books. Our games have been mostly rule-light and casual with an emphasis on story. We even told him that we'd A. be willing to play 2nd edition if he'd Dm and B. we'd be willing to convert certain things from 2nd edition like we did with the other books if we felt it would be balanced for the games. He still pitched a fit about how our system wasn't as 'perfect' and how he wants to play what he wants to play.
>>
File: Ooroth.jpg (93 KB, 600x776) Image search: [Google]
Ooroth.jpg
93 KB, 600x776
>>43647003
40k memes.
>>
>>43648536
Sounds like we've got different problems from similar people, then. The guy I was mocking in my post was doing that for GURPS. I'm having a hard time deciding which of our problem players is worse.
>>
>>43647916
GURPS
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
>>43648353

You'll have to thank Spoony for bringing me around to this line of thinking. I used to dislike rolling for stats in any form because I saw the entire exercise as utterly pointless, and I failed to appreciate the mentality it helped foster.

Watching this video is what got me to thinking about the type of people who enjoy each system, and why they do. It wasn't until then that I really started to put the pieces of my own experiences together and recognize the trends I saw.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/counter-monkey/counter-monkey-3d6-in-order/

Particularly 3:06

>In a way it doesn't matter what you roll. And that's what I'm trying to get through to you. THAT, I think, is the critical part. If I say, we're going to do point buy for attributes, and you simply pick, you shop for your points and pick them. Or if I said we're going to do 4d6 and drop the lowest and assign them however you want. That's another way to do it. If I say, roll 4d6, drop the lowest and reroll 1s. You'll get really really high stats. What *I'm* telling you is that it doesn't MATTER. So what do you care if I tell you this? Because it's unbalanced? Yeah it's unbalanced! Have you tried it? Nooo. The immediate question I get is, "Well, it's 3 six sided dice. I'm gunna roll crap!" That's possible, yes. "What if I roll bad?" What if you roll good?! That's the game! You're so fixated on the *numbers*. "If I don't have a 16, if I don't have an 18, well my character sucks. My character's no good, he's not gunna be good at anything. Or my character has a 6 in an attribute, oh he's really bad! What can I do with this, he's got a *six*!"

That was it for me. I had literally had that type of conversation before.

JUST ROLL YOUR STATS

JUST *DO* IT

WHAT'S IT MATTER? TAKE WHAT YOU'RE GIVEN AND MAKE IT *WORK*

JUST

DO IT
>>
>>43647891
>>43647965
Cut back on the Pokemon, /v/
>>
>>43648445
Meh this works sometimes, nothing is more immersion breaking and ruleslawyery than when you're stacked up on a door then initiative is fourth guy, second guy, third guy, first guy, fifth guy especially in games that have shitty or don't have held action rules
>>
>>43647891
twigs and neckbears are integral to the ecology of traditional gaming, both matter and are equally valuable in their own ways
>>
>is not having fun unless you're not having fun
>>
The absolute shit I hate

>YOU cannot play a _____, because thats all you play, and you are too strong with them

>*player just finished watching a show/movie/playing a videogame* Im gonna make a fighter and then take dual wielding, and dual class into ranger and take bow feats. and 8 wisdom.... then gets mad when he isnt doing as much damage as an 18 strength barbarian on steroids

>will we fight a dragon soon? - lvl 4 rogue

>You cant DM because you will probably just try killing us on purpose all the time.

>We don't want you to DM because we have seen your facebook posts with the furrys and the ponys... or anime addiction...or (my game is set in the RWBY universe so learn what RWBY is)

>asshats in general (im making a class called maximus, i use spears and can throw them and get +10 ac when unarmored and blah blah super op 30 hp at level 2 blah blah

>using obviously overpowered classes homebrewed online after asking forums for the most broken homebrew, then getting mad when I deny the...abyssal half god, half angel warpsmith that fights by using blackholes to such in enemies but can get items off them because it leaves non living materials behind, and also eggs, and anything but the character banished and also is immune to all worldy damage and god weapons because my dad is god...
>>
>>43647003
>People talking about PnP but only actually talking about DnD

fuck dnd
>>
>generic high fantasy elves that anyone can play instead of somber, near-perfect, elusive tolkenian elves
>gnomes So WaCkY!
>demihumans just being a dime a dozen/short and tall humans with quirks in general

Inversely, what do you guys fucking LOVE in campaign settings?
>>
>>43648796
Stealth jokes/puns/references that blow your mind when you realize them.
>>
>Oh, you're playing a homebrew melee caster?
>13 AC? You considered using Mage Armor?
>No, I don't want to be unbalanced.
I... What? Why? If you're gonna tank, 17 AC ain't unbalanced.
>>
>>43648590
I actually fucking love rolling for stats. It gives games lasting memory and they end up being fun if you have dedicated players that ACTUALLY want to play D&D instead of act out their power fantasy

>>43648824
You really should be thankful that they don't want to be strong enough to ruin the game rather than the other way around
>>
File: Mitsuki.jpg (115 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Mitsuki.jpg
115 KB, 600x800
>>43648796
My furriness aside I like making Asian-themed anthros.
>>
>>43648738
My attitude towards this as DM is I'll let you play the thing you always play. I'll look at your class you made and adjust it to fit our rules (nerf the shit out of it or buff it a bit if it would leave him underpowered in comparison). After character creation is finished, however, your character is your responsibility and if you're not happy with your decisions it's not my problem. Never once have I killed a player when the dice didn't say so, so if they complain they can leave and not come back next time.
>>
File: 1425226688135.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1425226688135.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>43647003
People feeling the need to list triggers at all.
We're not playing Rapestab McGenocide here, get your thicker skin out of the closet.
>>
>>43648738
>You cant DM because you will probably just try killing us on purpose all the time.
This probably describes me from my players' point of view
>try really hard not to railroad beyond maybe a scene
>let players do what they want
>and by that I mean let players do all that I could have planned for until they reach the edge of my creativity then. . .
>DANGER YOU ARE LEAVING THE BATTLEFIELD
>Werewolves, carnifexes, Vozhd, touhou characters
Sometimes I feel bad for curbing their autism, then I step back and realize they're trying to do something like harvest the brains of schoolchildren to get "stemcells" to make themselves stronger or put themselves into insane asylums then visit to cure themselves in order to sell their services nationwide to HIRE the BBEG to continue his world ending dickery in their names instead
>>
>>43648307
>>43648293
I just consider lack of a point buy as a fair negative against a game. It means I may well not be able to make the kind of character I want to, or that some PCs will be significantly stronger than others just because of luck. If that's the straw that breaks the camel's back in regards to your game, I'll just quietly bow out.

Though I've yet to have it be that straw, it's still fairly annoying.
>>
>>43648940
Addendum: Does not include people with actual PSTD or similar conditions.
I mean people who decide that they need to drop the game because the villain is sexist.
>>
File: 1444965046628.jpg (20 KB, 384x511) Image search: [Google]
1444965046628.jpg
20 KB, 384x511
>>43647003
>GM: You take 8 damage.
>Player: MIGHT AS WELL GIVE UP, JUST RIP UP MY FUCKING SHEET RIGHT NOW, NO WAY WE CAN WIN THIS, FUCK
>>
>>43648861
Anthro characters are actually cool as shit so I feel you.

>>43648945
For me, stat roll helps me get new players into the game because they don't really know what they want to play yet and forcing them to go out of their comfort zone to come up with something on the fly and roleplay it appropriately gets everyone really into the game
>>
>>43648851
They're not gonna ruin the game by having 4 more AC at the cost of a spell. I and he are the closest there is in this group to martials, and that would give him one more AC than me. He's not obsoleting anyone by doing that, he's just helping to fill a role the party desperately needs.
>>
File: 1436387919950.jpg (21 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1436387919950.jpg
21 KB, 450x450
>>43647003
>Player acting like OGL d20 actually can and should be the system for all genres.
>That same player dragging their feet whenever their group wants to play anything other than OGL.
>>
>>43648334
So... your solution is to... just not play RPGs at all?
>>
>>43648796
When antagonists become allies, other than that one asshole who's just a petty and clever son of a bitch intent on always one-upping you, and fighting against some natural force or concept of reality only to prevail and fade into the legends of the setting.
>>
>>43649143
People acting like D&D and generic adventuring fantasy are what everyone always plays kind of annoys me.
>>
>>43647550
This one here. So much. So fucking much.
>>
File: 1396380408521.jpg (264 KB, 1280x1358) Image search: [Google]
1396380408521.jpg
264 KB, 1280x1358
>>43648796

>What do you guys fucking LOVE in campaign settings?

Opportunities to be a big damn hero.

Whether it's saving civilians, subduing a villain, or simply helping someone in need, my inner Paladin eats that shit up like oatmeal.

It's weird because it feels like a rarer thing than it should be. Most games I'm in transform into money making simulators, but in my heart of hearts, I just wanna make our imaginary world a little less dark.
>>
File: cosmic mad.gif (432 KB, 348x512) Image search: [Google]
cosmic mad.gif
432 KB, 348x512
>>43649143
WE HAVE BEEN PLAYING THE SAME SYSTEM FOR 15 YEARS

MOST OF THE TIME IT'S SOME FLAVOR OF TOLKIEN FANTASY, SOMETIMES IT'S SCIFI, SOMETIMES IT'S MODERN, SOMETIMES IT'S STAR WARS. BUT UNDERNEATH THE PAINT IT'S STILL THE SAME FUCKING THING. I AM SO GODDAMN TIRED OF IT.

I'M TIRED OF MY PROBABILITY DISTRIBUTION BEING AS FLAT AS YOUR LOLI KITSUNE'S CHEST, I WANT SWEET SWEET BELL CURVES, I WANT ROLL AND KEEP, I WANT ANYTHING BUT 15 MORE YEARS OF THE SAME FUCKING SYSTEM

FUCK
>>
>>43648334
>"My setting has a China/Japan analogue"
Don't most settings that define a whole world have some sort of Asian empire?
>>
>>43648796
Each character has a rival/enemy the other members of the group help take down.
Like a game where everyone is the Bride from Kill Bill.
Bonus points if there's a speech prepared by each party member for their target.
And a cherry if one of the team dies on the mission and the rest of the group gets their mark in their memory.
>My name is Erasmus Ketch.
>You killed my sister and maimed my father, putting a family already short a mother into hell for two decades.
>I'll be collecting from you, you fucking bastard.
>137 thousand, six hundred and twenty-three dollars, ninety cents, and two lives.
>Guess I'll just have to kill you twice.
>>
>>43649259
>Opportunities to be a big damn hero.
I'll take a stab in the dark but maybe you should stop playing D&D?

That aside yeah, most DMs oddly seem to hate players being powerful or having more influence on the story than they have. I've played superhero games where a civilian was never saved, it was always 'saving' people under the scheme at hand in a grand plot that would involve people if we didn't act fast. D&D games suffer from simulation fetishism crossed with check the body for loot that leads to very rare acts of heroism sides whatever the game calls for, and really doesn't matter it's just something for the players to overcome that the DM thought was cool.
>>
>>43649389
I've found that directly protecting or saving people is pretty danmed rare in RPGs.
>>
File: 1302520738692.jpg (947 KB, 1280x1989) Image search: [Google]
1302520738692.jpg
947 KB, 1280x1989
>>43649198
Forgot my pic.
>>
File: 1436046674907.jpg (25 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
1436046674907.jpg
25 KB, 398x500
>>43649418
At least that's something my players can never complain about. I'm big on the hero thing as well, so I make sure to give my players plenty of opportunities to be the big damn hero. They seem pleased with it, and they put a lot of effort into roleplaying it out.

Should have seen their smiles when they were made national heroes for saving a kingdom.
>>
>>43648590

To be fair, in some systems you can't do really basic tasks without some arbitrary threshold in a stat. 3.5e is the prime example of this, iirc.
>>
>>43649424

Marvel Adventures is best Marvel.
>>
I'm a DM and I have a fucking HUGE list of things that just piss me off.

But what I hate more than absolutely anything, is players who insist on characters who are not constructed in a way that could actually function in a normal life.

>Hur Imma playin a Witch
>"Ok, what is this person's role in society? How do they fit in?"
>lolwhat its a Witch, they curse people and stuff
>"Yeah, so what is your actual place in civilization? How do you live? What do you spend your time doing?"
>Oh. I live in town and curse people.
>"Get the fuck away from my table."

That aside, I have a general list of red flags:

>Insists on playing a caster class
>Wants to play a non-core race
>Wants to play a Dwarf
>Sends a character sheet filled out using third-party material, and then gets bitchy when I tell them they're using third-party material they never asked about being approved
>Has a character idea before they know the setting
>Players in general
>>
File: 1418622741795.jpg (85 KB, 311x486) Image search: [Google]
1418622741795.jpg
85 KB, 311x486
>>43649624
>>Sends a character sheet filled out using third-party material, and then gets bitchy when I tell them they're using third-party material they never asked about being approved

This is one of several reasons I don't play D&D 3.5 / PF anymore. Shit's just too much for me. The bloat and power creep and caster supremacy just seemed to attract the worst kinds of players.

>Has a character idea before they know the setting

I had to deal with this just recently. Had a player pull what an earlier poster described regarding rare races and banned classes, but his second idea was to play a race that didn't even exist in my campaign setting. The worst part was that he was a player in the previous game in that setting so he should fucking know better.

Sometimes I wonder if he's just pushing to see how much he can get away with. He had even already planned out how many levels of what classes he was going to take, knew his build right down to which feats and spells.

Nigger we're playing 5e, put your "builds" away and try to figure out how your character fits into the setting. I want to know where he's from, how he learned his skills, who taught him how to fight, how he learned those languages, and where he got his starting gear. Put some fucking thought into it you little shit.
>>
>>43649624
>Makes a character without any thought to how they would live day to day life.

Literally how. Even the most hardened morons I've played with will not hesitate to answer they're a mercenary or murderhobo to explain their weird superman. How hard is it to fabricate a plausible lifestyle for a PC?

I mean being a PC in and of itself often includes the idea of a plausible lifestyle. Namely, Professional Murderer/Tomb Robber.
>>
>>43649722
When I run a campaign, I sit down with a player and make their character with them, which is usually a lot of me just outright shooting down ideas that make no fucking sense.

One guy wanted to play an Oracle of this really weird construction where he basically saw the future, but wasn't able to do anything about it, combined with his curse to speak in tongues. He wanted it to be all mysterious about how he could tell danger before it happened, but couldn't translate it since it came out in weird fake languages.

I was like "Wait, what? First, what is the point of seeing the future if you can't do anything about it? Do you just end every fight by saying 'Yeah I saw that coming' or something? But if you speak in tongues when danger is near, wouldn't people know danger is near anyway? Because you're indicating it, even if you're not telling them specifics? Like, after the first or second time, that becomes a pretty ridiculous warning system."

Didn't help that the build used third-party stuff on the PFSRD, which despite the big [3PP] tag right next to the name, he didn't know was not official content.
>>
>>43648282
Well fuck you too Jim.
>>
>>43647544
Is there a better way to convey information other than stats?
>>
File: 1327399168331.jpg (121 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1327399168331.jpg
121 KB, 600x600
>never having a game last more than one session without players vanishing
>never having a game last more than 2 sessions without the GM vanishing
I've been in two groups, in one the second session only had 2 players and the DM show up, the first session had something like 5 players.

Second group first session was fine, next session the DM and one player didn't show up.

There's not a whole lot you can do when DMs don't show up. I would DM myself but those 2 and a half sessions are my only experience even playing tabletop RPGs. I should go post in another gamefinder thread.
>>
>>43649624
>>Has a character idea before they know the setting
This is fine if they're not insistent on something that doesn't work in the setting. Nothing wrong with having a concept ahead of time as long as you're not a dick about it.

>Players in general
Yeah I know that feel. Some days it just feels like they're here to sit back and wait as I just fucking feed entertainment to them, and if I'm not pushing them along they mill around aimlessly and take a million years to get anything even halfway accomplished.

I'm not sure what's worse, the players who are always negative and critical or the players who never say or do anything without basically being dragged into it.
>>
>>43649865
>This is fine if
It's never fine, and fuck you for encouraging it.
>>
>>43648445
We just go around the table, and assume everything is happening simultaneously.
>>
>>43649876
>hey, I have this character concept.
>do x y and z work in this setting?
>no? oh, ok. I'll think of something different, no problem.

If you think this isn't acceptable then you're just a dickhead.
>>
>>43649840
Tossing numbers is easy, BUT, just alluding to it is fine too. Like, you can say "the beast has a +8 to Stealth checks" or you can say "they are known to be very good at creeping through the undergrowth, stalking their prey..." which is way more flavorful, but doesn't give the PC much to work with, especially if they are an expert in beasts. They would know HOW sneaksy that creature is, and the numbers do a better job conveying that than a thesaurus when you're in a big combat or something.
>>
>>43648590
Honestly, I don't find the argument particularly persuasive.

>The immediate question I get is, "Well, it's 3 six sided dice. I'm gunna roll crap!" That's possible, yes. "What if I roll bad?" What if you roll good?! That's the game!
seems particularly egregious to me. I'd much rather be middle-of-the-road than have to risk bad in order to get good. Stats shouldn't be so important that the risk is at all worth it.

So there's a possible gambler's high from rolling a high-statted character. So what? That doesn't seem particularly valuable to me. I'd rather have a group made up entirely of functional characters than a group with one face-smasher and one window-licker.

>What *I'm* telling you is that it doesn't MATTER.
>You're so fixated on the *numbers*.
Honestly, he seems MORE fixated on the numbers than his strawman is. Rather than accepting them as an abstraction used by the system to rank a character's relative competence in different types of tasks, he's treating them like some kind of holy grail.
>>
>>43649786
>I was like "Wait, what? First, what is the point of seeing the future if you can't do anything about it? Do you just end every fight by saying 'Yeah I saw that coming' or something? But if you speak in tongues when danger is near, wouldn't people know danger is near anyway? Because you're indicating it, even if you're not telling them specifics? Like, after the first or second time, that becomes a pretty ridiculous warning system."
You sound like a miserable person to game with.
>>
>>43648816
I once built an entire campaign around a giant stealth wordplay that caused the table to explode in a combination of mirth and anger when it was finally revealed.

It was glorious.
>>
>>43649897
This. Half of my character ideas are me coming in with a few basic ideas [sometimes just one], and as the DM explains the setting I jump at certain aspects and incorporate them on the fly.
>>
>>43647375
>>there's an option for rolling, but we're doing point buy
>>electronic dice
What's wrong with these?
>>
>>43649945
he really likes using his dice
>>
>>43649624
>Players in general

Honestly, people who identify as "players" outside of the context of specifically referring to themselves as players of a particular game provoke a red flag's worth of warning in my mind. Like, "Yeah I'm really more of a player"? Red flag.

"Players." All they usually mean by that is that they're lazy and used to having the GM do all the heavy lifting for them.
>>
>>43649945
Personal preference.
>>
>>43647003

>2 days ago, 4 player EDH game
>T1, Drop Marsh, tap, ping 1 and sac marsh flats
>Search for Godless shrine, enters untapped, ping for 2
>Thoughtseize me, who's playing Voltron Drana when there's Nekusar and Oloro players at the table.

Like what the fuck.
>>
>>43647375
Shitter detected.
>>
File: excited_kid.gif (270 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
excited_kid.gif
270 KB, 120x120
>>43648816
>puns in general
>>
>>43649030
Had one that did that and more.
>player rolls poorly
>"Of fucking course"
>player rolls poorly again
>"This is fucking bullshit, this encounter isn't even fair"
>player rolls great
>"HAHA TAKE THAT FUCKING BIIIIIITCH GIT GUD"
>player immediately rolls poorly again
>*throws dice* "THIS GAME IS BULLSHIT I MEAN IT'S NOT EVEN FUN, NOBODY IS HAVING FUN"
Every god damn time. If he was rolling like shit then we'd all pay the price.
>>
>>43647375
How do you make a game where numbers and skills don't matter as much as they usually should as to discourage power gaming?
>>
>>43649030
Oh man, I know a guy with this. I love the guy, but almighty fuck is this annoying.
>>
>>43650042
How the fuck do you deal with a player like this? I swear they're always about making sure they always succeed. What's the point of always succeeding though? That isn't fun if you can just stomp every enemy in the path. I could just go out with the whole rolling system if you want to just succeed all the time.
>>
>>43650042
Don't even remind me.
>roll minimum or near it a few times
>BAWWWWW my luck I'm going to redo my build based around the idea that I'll always roll like shit

just give it up holy christ fuck. I know rolling bad is annoying but give it a break.

>>43649979
Have you ever had a GM straight up give up on their game like 2 sessions in with 'I'd rather just be a player for a while'.

It is the most infuriating shit.
>>
>>43650072
>How the fuck do you deal with a player like this?
You do what my group and I did. You put on your big boy pants, walk up to him and say nothing, then wait half a year for him to move two towns over and act like you'll call him when the next game session is set. He was an alright guy out of game and the rest of us are spineless cowards.
>>
File: 1442817502974.jpg (59 KB, 206x750) Image search: [Google]
1442817502974.jpg
59 KB, 206x750
>>43647003
Players who absolutely HAVE to play something that doesn't fit the setting or the rest of the party. Examples:

>that guy who wants to play Daenerys Targaryen in a Pendragon game homebrewed for the Crusades
>that guy who wants to play a Sith in the all-Jedi party
>that guy who wants to play the rogue psycho assassin droid in the all-Jedi party
>that guy who wants to play a wizard in a setting without magic
>"in this setting these guys are evil" "well I want to play one who isn't evil and is just misunderstood"

As a player, I also hate it when GMs try to force their idea to work within the confines of a system that isn't meant for it. I had a guy who wanted to run Mad Max, as in set in the actual Mad fucking Max universe, using Pathfinder. Not d20 Modern, Pathfinder. With no magic or races except for human allowed.
>>
>>43647013
Wouldn't you always consider whatever your character would do?

I don't understand.
>>
File: byakuren informative_1.jpg (214 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
byakuren informative_1.jpg
214 KB, 600x600
>>43649917

Spoony emphasizes that the stats ultimately don't matter because the key is making what you've got work. He does say something that sounds like gambler's fallacy, but it's less to illustrate that you can win and more to illustrate that sometimes you roll high, sometimes you roll low, and THAT IS THE GAME. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and you need to be okay with the possibility of losing! And *my* point is that being okay with that possibility is what makes you a good player instead of a bitchy one. Nevermind that what you consider "losing" isn't even necessarily losing at all, just being inconvenienced!

Obviously, anyone would rather have a group made up entirely of *good* characters, though you seem to have egregiously used the term "functional," implying that you wouldn't be functional without a 18 in your particular stat of choice. This phraseology implies that you are exactly the kind of shitter that needs to just roll your stats and learn to let go these "requirements" you've built up in your head that every situation has to have or you're just hopelessly fucked otherwise.

That's putting aside the fact that literally any GM is happy to let you reroll something that's genuinely unplayable like 6 in all stats or some shit.

The point is, there is serenity in learning to let go of these "must haves" your characters "need" because otherwise they can't function. You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. You *can* make it work, you just need to stop bitching for five minutes about not having the optimum and make the best of the situation you're in. Your games and you as a person will be better off for it.

Which is, the astute will note, an extension of how games in general should work. The players will never be fully in control in the game; they have to react to situations presented by the GM, which will usually be far from the ideal. Rolling for stats is an extension of this philosophy.
>>
>>43650094
>Have you ever had a GM straight up give up on their game like 2 sessions in with 'I'd rather just be a player for a while'.
Yes, GM thinks the players don't deserve to have him GM a campaign for them because they aren't as interested. Doesn't help that the GM has the slowest fucking game ever. He always hypes end game material even though we get placed at beginner tier. The hype is never received and the enthusiasm is dead within a month or so.
>>
>>43650152
This complaint comes from players who justify actions that are not constructive to the game at all, on the basis that its what their character would do, ignoring that

1. There is multiple actions your character can be justified as taking in any given action, and

2. This complaint almost always comes out of people whose PC didn't fit the party.

Its the "I made a paladin in a party of necromancers but didn't think up a reason he'd be with them" excuse.
>>
>>43648334
>Magick
Why does this trigger so many people?
>>
>>43649945

Tangible props are a joy for almost any gamer. I honestly can't think of a game I've played that could not be improved by some carefully made props.

Dice themselves are a prop, and merely the act of rolling them is enjoyable for many.
>>
People who claim to have super realistic/ historically accurate campaigns when actually they don't know shit about the past.

>no one looked like that in the past
>everyone thought the earth was flat
>3K+ long rants about armor and weapon types
>potatoes
>>
File: sweetdoo.png (349 KB, 457x610) Image search: [Google]
sweetdoo.png
349 KB, 457x610
>>43650229
forgot my pic
>>
>>43650208
The worst is when they feel electronic dice are fumbling more often than normal when they're really not. I just want to kill my players for thinking that.
>>
>>43650208

Preach on, brother. The best part of playing any kind of blast wizard is dunking fistfuls of D6s onto the table.

I don't care how effective it is, let's just see how high I can get this number!
>>
>>43650257
I'm going to execute the next player I see whine about the dicebot, I swear.

>we're playing a game with a custom written dicebot that has functions that vastly speed playing the game up
>one player suggests switching dicebots because it's not rolling well or some shit.
>>
>>43650208
Fair enough but I've only ever played online so physical stuff isn't really anything to me.
>>
>>43648583
Hadross, pls. I don't have the money to spend on your game.

Also, Is WoK even fun? I played a horribly imbalanced game at GenCon and was sorely disappointed at what they said Hadross would play like and what they turned out to be.
>>
>>43649722
>This is one of several reasons I don't play D&D 3.5 / PF anymore.

Situational to your group and campaign idea, but I've found that picking one sourcebook relevant to your game and saying "Core plus this only" works great to keep things varied and keep out the power creep. Nine out of ten broken things in 3.5/pf are either in the core rules or arise from unexpected combinations of things across books.
>>
File: zocchi3[1].jpg (361 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
zocchi3[1].jpg
361 KB, 2048x1536
>>43650313

Well, here's hoping you get to try it sometime m8. It's a small yet tangible pleasure, and it's hard to go back once you've tasted it.
>>
>>43650109

As someone who recently moved away from his regular group, this post has me incredibly paranoid.
>>
>>43650458

Look on the bright side, Anon.

At least you weren't so detestable they didn't muster the courage to boot you. :^)
>>
>>43648307
>>43648293
This is a nice way of looking at things! Bravo, Anon!
>>
>>43650160
man, FUCK byakuren and FUCK budshits
>>
>>43649935

He phrased it *incredibly* poorly, but understanding the gameplay difficulties involved with your character concept is actually very important.

Like, what does a game actually look like when he sees the future? If he can't do anything about it, that alone makes it basically moot, because as a player character, there's virtually no difference between knowing and not knowing something unless you're going to *do* something with the knowledge. That's literally how Knowledge stats and skills and the like are abstracted in every game; when a player *wants* to know something, invariably because they want to act on knowledge gleaned through it, they roll a Knowledge type skill and see if their character actually knows about that subject. On the meta, gameplay level, a character knowing about something but being unable to affect it and a character not knowing about the thing is basically indistinguishable.

The obvious fix here is to say "No, because what's the point of a prophet if you can't change the future you see? We'll see how we can crunch out a prophesy system that reflects a 'potential future' that will occur if not acted upon."

However, speaking in tongues is going to be annoying 99% of the time. Communication is imperative in a p&p game, and anything that hampers or hinders it is a big problem. I can see it being expressed in some kind of Disadvantage system but it's still probably gunna be annoying to play with.

Still, the point I'm trying to make is that guy has a point even if he expressed it like shit; players need to consider how they're actually going to mechanize their characters, because ideas that sound cool aren't always easy to crunch or even fun to have in a game. I mean, your classical ultraserious detached quiet solo character sulking in the corner is the epitome of ideas that just suck when actually played.
>>
File: byakuren I CAST FIST_1.webm (2 MB, 1300x730) Image search: [Google]
byakuren I CAST FIST_1.webm
2 MB, 1300x730
>>43650800

COW THE TAO
>>
I recently had to leave a group because I couldn't justify playing with a party that acted like that. Essentially what occurred was I was told it'd be fairly light hearted. Not knowing the other player's characters I built a TN buffing/crafting wizard, as I thought it fits pretty much every party and was fairly innocuous.

Things went to shit from here. First of all people expected when getting magic items from me that I pay the material cost. I told them that a wand of cure light wounds was for party use, not just my own, and that they requested it. They refused to pay in so I decided not to make it, they threw a fit. Someone asked me to upgrade their armor, and wouldn't pay me the gold for materials, the DM then made me pay the gold for upgrading his gear. I have no idea people even did this, it floored me.

Next they would request buffs, then get angry when I ran out. They seemed to have no concept that I had limited resources I was working it and couldn't buff all of them all the time.

This prompted my character being called useless, normally by whoever I didn't have a buff for at the time.

I was the only one with any int based skills as well, no one had knowledges besides me except the rogue with knowledge local. I was also the only person with spellcraft and linguistics. I ended up being the translator, knowledge monkey, and item crafter.

I tried. I FUCKING tried to play that game, but after a while I just couldn't fucking take it. I ended up turning on the party, then getting kicked from the game by the GM after having my character taken over by him. I haven't looked back since.
>>
>>43649424
Evil Wizard is an important role in any space-faring team
>>
>>43647003
Mostly just people playing a-typical races and classes.
Every fucking game of D&D I've played has looked like a goddamn circus.
>>
>>43650094
>>BAWWWWW my luck I'm going to redo my build based around the idea that I'll always roll like shit
I bet those fuckers just whined about this and didn't actually go through with it like I did.
>Playing 4e as a cleric
>Whenever I had to hit anything I rolled an 8 or below
>Still had fun cause I enjoyed being the support, but kinda annoyed that I never hit anything.
>Realize I didn't really get annoyed when OTHER people miss.
>Next campaign we all roll up new characters
>Make the ultimate lazy warlord
>Do not make a single attack roll all game technically the DM did have me roll for an ally NPC once, but my character himself never did, just grant attacks to my allies
>Roleplay as an old-washed up general, yelling at all the uppity youngins who keep doing it wrong and need me to correct them
>Everyone had a fucking blast
>>
>>43647003
>The game I run is an adaptation of X using 3.5 rules.
>4e is too boardgamey.
>>
>>43650943
It's not just attack rolls. It's usually skills rolls since they endanger your character much more than combat can. Traps can be a problem and escaping usually require skills. If you fail those, you're almost guaranteed to be trapped in a bad place unless your team mates are more than capable to help your ass.
>>
>>43650873
>DM *MADE* you pay for someone elses upgrade

Yeah Im pissed off on your behalf
>>
File: 1241270557422.jpg (4 KB, 90x128) Image search: [Google]
1241270557422.jpg
4 KB, 90x128
>>43650042

>Emotional manchildren

Disgusting.
>>
>>43650458
Maybe you wouldn't have to worry if you weren't such a manchild, Kevin
>>
>>43650966
How does that even relate to one another? No, don't answer that. I should know better than to ask a 4e fag for a reasonable opinion.
>>
>>43651744

Presumably because the thread is your trigger(s) so things on separate lines don't have to directly relate with each other?
>>
File: nostalgiagoggles.jpg (108 KB, 879x617) Image search: [Google]
nostalgiagoggles.jpg
108 KB, 879x617
>we've only played dungeons and dragons (3.5)
>>
File: 1446351361520.gif (944 KB, 264x320) Image search: [Google]
1446351361520.gif
944 KB, 264x320
>I'm making "literally the same character they always play with a reskin"
>Said character also being an expy if the player
>>
>>43650192
autism mainly
>>
File: scared_man.jpg (119 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
scared_man.jpg
119 KB, 425x282
>"This is going to be a roleplay heavy campaign"

Not even joking, if it's roleplay heavy I walk and wait until new campaign.
>>
>>43651875

So you play Roleplaying Games but don't enjoy roleplaying?
>>
>>43651875
>"This is going to be a roleplay heavy campaign"
endless sessions of dungeonfucking and murderhoboing
>"This is going to be a game about political intrigue and moving among the circles of nobility"
endless sessions of nothing but being told to go murderfuck dungeonhobos by king prince duke shitburger the sixth

yeah nigga that's just what I wanted mm-hmm all this background's really enhancing this fucking shlock, dingleberg
>>
File: kb.png (89 KB, 381x315) Image search: [Google]
kb.png
89 KB, 381x315
People who cant into roleplaying

>friends first ever game
>standard high fantasy setting
>offer to help him with his character since its his first time, says no thanks
>sends me his sheet
>its not a character
>its literally just him
>backstory is that he got sucked into the fantasy world randomly one day with no explanation
>also somehow became a wizard
>mfw
>>
>>43651886
Not him, but I just love me dungeon crawls. I'm also the person who likes writing up characters but not necessarily playing them.
>>
>>43651744
Reading comprehension, man. See >>43651766

Also
>3.PF fag detected
>>
File: dude what_1.png (4 KB, 201x183) Image search: [Google]
dude what_1.png
4 KB, 201x183
>>43651875

This is my trigger too but possibly not for the same reason it is this Anon's.

"This is going to be a roleplay heavy campaign" doesn't actually mean anything. Seriously, it doesn't tell you anything about the game save that the GM is probably going to be up his own ass about the SO DEEP story he intends to put the players through.

Like, okay great, you're running a "heavy roleplay game." The fuck does that mean? You want a detailed character history? You expect players to maintain character at all times? Or does it just mean that bullshit "No muh minmaxers allowed" that most people mean when they contrast roleplay with literally any other aspect of a game?

Seriously. If anything's my trigger, it's ignorant nerds who don't know how to explain their own demands. I get that the lexicon of p&p atmosphere and style is fairly nebulous at best (phrases like "narrativist," "gamist," and "simulationism" still linger, for god's sake), but that is why you can distill this shit down to some actual physical requirements that you can list and ask prospective players to adhere to instead of this airy fairy "just be a good roleplayer, mannn" horseshit.

Hearing people try to describe their campaign and doing so poorly is really my biggest trigger of all.

Shoutout to "My game focuses on the story" and exemption specifically listed for "This is a beer and pretzels type game," since that actually lists something a type of atmosphere the game will have which is a step above the other mentioned ones.
>>
>>43652184
>since that actually lists something resembling a type of atmosphere the game will have which is a descriptive step above the other mentioned ones.

Fixt
>>
>>43652184
This too.
The other day I found a guy I used to play with years ago on one of those gamefinder sites. His profile was like

>I only play serious games based on roleplaying and character focus. No metagames, no jokes, no minmaxers.

And then he only plays Pathfinder.
>>
File: 1394390536694.png (705 KB, 3304x3317) Image search: [Google]
1394390536694.png
705 KB, 3304x3317
None of these are necessarily related.

>I'm going to kill the party! Why? Because I can, of course!
>I'm a paladin, but peace is dumb so let's just kill everything.
>I want to play this class that has a bunch of complicated mechanics but I'm not going to read this rules or make any effort to remember what stuff does.
>Spending more than a minute taking a turn
>"So we've got a beatstick, a frontliner, and a ranged damage dealer? I'm gonna make something that can do all their jobs and more, and i'm gonna rub it in their faces."
>Sheets filled with 3rd party and homebrew shit without asking because "I assumed you'd be ok with it"
>"So your world is grim and serious in tone and set in a fantasy setting? I made Rufus the Clown and he uses a laser gun and makes tons of jokes about dank maymays"
> "My character can X Y Z and you can't do anything about it because X says this and it's super strong and better than you."

I'm sure there are plenty more, but that's all I can think of for now.
>>
>>43647398
I had this work since the whole party was looking for the same fucking bard.
>>
>>43649030
I hate this so much, holy hell.
>>
>Long running campaign.
>Lots of many different adventures blending into a seamless single tale.
>Long running threads and shit.
>Forever GM lets someone else guest GM an adventure because he wants to see the campaign from the players perspective.
>Guest GM proceeds to piss all over the established lore and canon.
>Literally screams "RULE ZERO" when people point out that what he describes is impossible within the setting.

He was a very good player to have in the party, but a shitty GM. Thankfully he didn't like it much and so never offered to do it again.
>>
>>43649945
>>43650208
as someone who suffers from anxiety out the ass, rolling tangible dice is amazing at calming me down. Often i'll say something along the lines of "X or higher and everything will turn out fine." and roll with it.
>>
>>43649030
>All these encounters are way too powerful for us!
>Why are all these encounters so easy?
Same goddamn player in two sections of the same dungeon.
>>
>i guess i will take an elf

or the worst thing
>my character class? elf

solution: taking the elf stereotype of being girly up to trap-asthetics
>>
>>43649624
>Sends a character sheet filled out using third-party material, and then gets bitchy when I tell them they're using third-party material they never asked about being approved
To this day I've never managed to understand how there can exist a human being who doesn't require players to roll up in front of him, at the table, using preapproved books only.

Letting people bring characters they made at home to the table's just asking them to cheat.
>>
>tieflings do not exist in this setting
>we're going to be making our characters all together during the first session.

>>WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T USE MY PREMADE TIEFLING SORCERER?

Fuck you, Tyler
>>
>>43652476
It's called trust.

We also have things like Google Docs these days, so you can get your players to put their character stats up on there.
>>
>>43649938
You realise, of course, that we are going to require story time now.
>>
>>43650873
This sounds like a groupful of Earth's mightiest faggots. I can't believe you lasted that long against the Autism Avengers.
>>
>>43647003
>"Is there a woman ? If yes, I want to flirt with it"
I'm the DM and he doesn't care about the race
>>
>>43652760
https://youtu.be/vChEPj0dXXk?t=139
>>
Wanting to play an evil alignment or chaotic neutral.
>>
>>43653177
LE is usually okay, you can get them to cooperate with the rest of the party much more easily than you can CE.
>>
>>43650116
>>that guy who wants to play a Sith in the all-Jedi party
>implying that Jedi and Sith can't work together
>what are Dark Jedi
>>
>>43653191
It isn't so much the alignments themselves as the usual type of people who want to play them.
>>
>>43651935
>Someone actually worse than me at character creation
Thanks for sharing, Anon. I suddenly feel much better about myself...
>>
>>43647073
>counterfeit cards is shitposting
>psedudo

Fucek off.
>>
>>43647398
At least my fighter minotaur didn't go in quite like >>43647443
>It is my duty and pleasure to come home at last with 144000 left orc ears. As long as the party is invested in something that will lead me to my coveted fountain of orc blood, I will do as they say.
>>
>lies about rules
>can't be trusted to play a class with prepared spells, because will lie about what spells he has prepared
>if you do enforce prepared spells rules on him, slows entire game down by half an hour while he agonizes over what spells to prepare.
>every long rest
>doesn't see the point of playing any variation of lawful or good characters (alignment systems are crap, but you can play a character that is generally good, or has motivations beyond increasing stats/wealth)

Dropping the guy isn't an option. How do I reach him and encourage roleplaying?
>>
>>43653513
I should add, this guy is probably singlehandedly responsible for me having

>I'm playing a caster class

as a pet peeve.
>>
>>43652463
Joke's on you, I'd play the shit out of a twink elf.
Thank you for enabling my magical realm.
>>
>>43652463
HAHAHA FUCKER, THIS IS ME
I'M THE ELF PLAYER
>>
>>43653513
>>43653519
If you can't drop him, start a new game and forget to tell him.

You basically can't encourage roleplaying in people that far gone. They either want to do it on their own or they don't. Forcing them to start is like forcing someone to be scared of a horror flick; if they aren't getting into it, no amount of persuading, cajoling, or bribing is going to change that. On that note, giving and ultimatum won't help either, because at best the player will play along for a bit then get fed up and regress back into his old bullshit.
>>
>>43649945
>>>electronic dice
>What's wrong with these?
because we them could be playing a computer or console game instead of spending our times on rpg
>>
File: fuck that noise.gif (473 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
fuck that noise.gif
473 KB, 320x240
>>43652285 >>43651935
This also pisses me off.

>>43650160
So you're basically triggered by people who dislike losing and are vocal about it.

No need to be wordy about it, I think we all hate that kind of people. Some may even be those people.

That won't entice me to play the mess that is 3.pf or D&D next. I rather like making my own character and therefore if I see something like "Roll for stats", my reaction will inevitabily be pic related.

Conversely, this doesn't change a thing for the DM, since he can adjust to the modifiers whether they're rolled or point bought. But it changes for the player if he wants to focus on fighting in melee, range, with area of effects and so on and so forth.
>>
>>43651782
>>we've only played dungeons and dragons (3.5)

How the hell this works, how hard is to go to some store and look around at the other books
>>
>>43647003
>Your character has to look like it's race in the splat books
>I don't want to be a furry
>>
>>43648334
I would argue that there's nothing wrong with no guns in certain situations. Maybe guns clash with the flavor of the setting –despite being feasible–, maybe they don't gel well mechanically with the system, or maybe they just aren't feasible in the setting (ie playing a game in the bronze age or something).
>>
>>43651782
One of my players refuses to learn any new system. We're in 5e right now

I'm going to give him an ultimatum after my next campaign: either he joins in for some shadowrun or 40k or something, or he can start GMing.
>>
File: 1436734141201.jpg (70 KB, 300x444) Image search: [Google]
1436734141201.jpg
70 KB, 300x444
Here are mine: I play online because I lack people in the vicinity who play RPGs.

>That guy who plays with a mic next to the speakers and leaves the music/TV running in the background
>The guy with a crappy mic who has a constant static sound in the convo
>That mouthbreather
>Babies crying in the background and not having the courtesy to mute your mic makes me really fucking mad
>>
>>43653738
Also
>Players/GMs who are late for no good reason
>Players/GMs who flake with no warning beforehand
>Powergamers who rub their character's superiority in my face. I don't give a shit that you could kill me if you wanted, you're fucking annoying.
>GMs who make absolutely unbeatable and unavoidable encounters that fuck the party over. If you're going to fuck us at least give the illusion that you're not actually raping us, for fuck's sake!
>>
>>43649876
>hey, I was thinking about doing x, is that okay in the setting?

How is this a problem?
>>
>>43650846
>No, because what's the point of a prophet if you can't change the future you see?
It's pretty common for prophets to be unable to affect what they see. Otherwise their visions would be wrong. It also can make for some interesting characterization and roleplaying, and some great opportunities for the DM to fuck with the player.

Not everything has to have direct, tangible rewards.
>>
>>43652760
>"In the room is the ugliest abomination you have ever seen. She is barely wearing clothes and her visible vagina is clearly packed with every disease in the universe."
>"You walk up to her and flirt with her"

It should get the message through.
>>
>>43653777
>Powergamers who rub their character's superiority in my face

Just remind them how pathetic it is to even talk about how his imaginary character could beat your imaginary chatacter up.
If he tries shit, your GM should just intervene with some rocksfall.
>>
File: Taco.gif (5 MB, 295x166) Image search: [Google]
Taco.gif
5 MB, 295x166
>He wants to play a homebrew culture
>Said culture is some kind of Mongolian Islamic Aztec shit with cannibalism and violence
>He insists that his character is Lawful Good even when murdering NPCs just because he can "Because his religion doesn't really forbid it"
>TFW this is you
>>
>>43653695
>One of my players refuses to learn any new system. We're in 5e right now
Houserule the hell out of 5e. Its your chance to apply leading edge games (creators of phoenix command game) rules to your d&d, their rpg rules are sort of modular made to be applied to others rpg
>>
>>43647003
> lol gnome barbarian
God. Dammit. Jeff.
>>
>>43647003
Bards were ruined for me forever thanks to my first experience with them. Guy played his as a natural born leader & know-it-all asshat of a senior adventurer who could never be convinced of his faults and expected everyone to follow his orders without question. Which would have been good rp if the player didn't act exactly like that in real life.
>>
>So there's this place that is somewhat technologically stagnant right?
>And they can't use technology at all because it is EVIL/Against their religion/DISHONORABUL./Delete as appropriate
>But their neighbors are all over that shit, so any time they get into a fight, they get mulched by this stuff that they could conceivably make but won't do it because of MUH TRADITIONS.
>Every fight against this stuff is a hard fought victory at best and a one sided battle at worse but MUH TRADTIONS.

Yeah, alright, if you have some super magic bullshit that means you can't take up cool technology and stuff because otherwise it will just stop working and you'll lose a huge advantage, fine.

But if you are just getting shat on continuously by your neighbors because you still have swords when they got around to using guns and stuff, and there is absolutely nothing stopping you from adapting their stuff to your own use other then blind unbending rules that this stuff is bad wrong evil and you will sully your ancestors to the 8th generation if you use it.

Then, I think it's time to look your sacred traditions square in the face and ask 'Is my fanatical dislike of this stuff, worth being put constantly through the grinder by people who've got the memo?"
>>
>>43653981
>Not everything has to have direct, tangible rewards.

Then there's literally no gameplay effect of being able to see the future and you might as well just act like you knew what was going to happen all along.

The GM telling you what's going to happen and you just having to go "O-okay" is ultragay. Surely you understand this.
>>
>>43650160
Spoony also says all this with Pathfinder being his favorite game, a game with goes out its way to invalidate his opinion.
>>
>beastmaster ranger
>gnome
>tiefling
>dragonborn
>any other monstrous/beast race in PCs
>>
>>43647003
Thieves who just randomly steal shit because every thief is a kleptomaniac. That's dumb. Why sabotage a relationship that provides a steady flow of wealth to you? Especially if you're the "I came from da hood, mane" type of thief.

>>43650184
>Its the "I made a paladin in a party of necromancers but didn't think up a reason he'd be with them" excuse.
Yeah, or the reverse. If you're the only good guy in a party of baddies, or the only baddie in a party of goodies, wouldn't "what my character would do" just be to leave? I mean, I'm sure the GM would allow you to roll a new character if you're like, "Yeah these guys are doing the exact opposite of what I would do on a personal and moral level."

This isn't just D&D alignment shit, it could be any game.
>>
>>43654455
Hello, gramps. How's it going at the retirement home?
>>
>listening to spoony
Smhfam
>>
>>43654449

Okay? People are usually right about some things and wrong about others. He's right in that being willing to roll for stats makes you a better gamer.
>>
>>43650966
I saw someone try to do this to Fate/Stay Night.

How the fuck do you miss the power scale of F/SN THAT badly? You'd have a better chance of adapting the Storyteller system to it. Or MURPG.
>>
>Your character wouldn't do that
Sorry DM, but if you want to play my character, I will gladly swap places with you or co-author your shitty novel.

One time this was said was with a NE character who spent most of her childhood living on the streets in absolute poverty, and she handed a cloak to someone who was walking in the rain. Why? Because she had been there, she's done that tiresome dance, and she knew how miserable it is to have to spend hours in the pissing rain, and understood what they were going through. There had been countless times she had thought "Nobody should go through this". And she took a simple step that would let someone not go through that shit.
>>
I've got two specific "triggers."

The first is players who just expect to be entertained. This happens more often than I'd like with new players, but even some more experienced players tend towards this. They're the players who don't want to put in any effort and usually take a very passive approach to roleplaying, unless it's to do something "cool" or "funny." They want to be railroaded into an epic adventure without contributing anything meaningful themselves. They're like moviegoers who self-identify with the main character, rather than roleplayers who play their own character. These people drain the fun out of any game they're in.

The second, and there's definitely some overlap between thesesometimes, but not necessarily all of the time, is players who make their characters based on existing characters. And by "based on" I don't mean they take some inspiration from them, but they literally copy them and change a few details, if even that. I don't care if you're Naruto, Drizzt, John Snow or Harry Dresden, if you can't even be bothered to come up with your own fucking character I don't want you in my games.
>>
File: what I want to do to your sheet.gif (965 KB, 256x144) Image search: [Google]
what I want to do to your sheet.gif
965 KB, 256x144
>>43654723
>players who make their characters based on existing characters

I'm so fucking tired of this. Maybe I brought it on myself -- I play on IRC and the network is home to a large community of freeform roleplayers, meaning they just play whatever the fuck they want and nobody can tell them no. As a result, very few of them make original characters, they just play their favourite anime and video game dudes all day and never bother with dice. Once in a while they make "gen2" characters, which are just two random-ass anime/vidya characters mashed together so the kid looks like both and gets all their powers and none of their weaknesses.

Trying to teach them how to actually create something with a limited toolset has been an exercise in frustration. Some of them can't seem to fucking understand why they can't play Dante from Devil May Cry in my planet-hopping science fiction game, or why they can't play Sailor Moon in my medieval fantasy epic heroism game, or why they can't play Laharl in my modern supernatural game featuring psychic students. It's fucking terrible and I want to kill all of them.

I don't know why I fucking bother with them.
>>
File: 1405305270416.jpg (108 KB, 453x500) Image search: [Google]
1405305270416.jpg
108 KB, 453x500
>>43654707
>co-author your shitty novel.
Sure thing Mr. Prose. Thanks for the excerpt from your own.
>>
>little girl
>loli
>>
>>43647003
>I'm playing [anything other than a white straight male fighter who uses a sword and shield]
>>
>>43654811
>not using a simple pike

Well la-dee-dah, look at mister fancypants over there!
>>
>>43654801
It appears that consecutive sentences telling a story is this illiterate scum's trigger.
>>
File: hoplite with bottom.jpg (138 KB, 900x471) Image search: [Google]
hoplite with bottom.jpg
138 KB, 900x471
>>43654826
>using a pike over a spear

Look at this Makedonian barbarian. I bet he doesn't even fuck teenage boys.
>>
File: Decapitating_Muslim.jpg (29 KB, 293x263) Image search: [Google]
Decapitating_Muslim.jpg
29 KB, 293x263
>>43654888
Why boys, when you can rape girls instead?
>>
>>43654888
>using tools

Fucking nerd.
>>
>>43654931
Girls are not as strong and durable: boys can carry weapons and arms better.
>>
File: 1388783706252.gif (430 KB, 216x236) Image search: [Google]
1388783706252.gif
430 KB, 216x236
>>43654878
>illiterate scum
Hahaha how's the book coming bitch boy? More anime cadence to laugh at

I MUST OVERCOME THIS TRIAL lmao
>>
>>43654931
Who said I have raped Cleonites? We are in love!
>>
>>43647003
From now on: TTRPG Eldar players.

Eldarboo's, not even once.
>>
>>43654305
Wasn't that the guy that consistently and constantly asked for Aztec bullshit in drawthreads?
>>
>>43654623
No, he's right that better players don't mind rolling for stats in the increasingly narrow range of games it works with. His rant misses that mark as much as possible while just barely touching on it.

If you are a D&D fan and shit on editions where rolling stats works (all except 3.pf & 4e) only to push those two editions remaining as the best, your opinion about rolling stats is entirely baseless. The best players of 3.pf and 4e use point buy, and work with the DM on folding their character into the setting. Especially in 3.pf, if you make even small mistakes in your build you can become useless and fears and spells require a base ability score value. A single useless player drags the game to a halt unless the DM is very good and knows the system in and out.
>>
>>43650094
>I'm going to redo my build based around the idea that I'll always roll like shit
I have a player that does this.

In his defense, he usually DOES roll like shit, and it minimizes his frustration.
>>
File: Sm9H8w1.jpg (16 KB, 524x251) Image search: [Google]
Sm9H8w1.jpg
16 KB, 524x251
>>43655012
Not really, no. I'm the dude that wrote that, and I play that guy, and I've never requested aztec stuff.
>>
>>43654305
>Lawful Good
>playing D&D
That means there are good religions and evil religions. If his religion permits wanton murder, cannibalism, and violence, it's probably CE.
>>
>>43649624
>Kicking someone from your table because they didn't flesh out a proper backstory

Gee must be fun at your table
>>
File: 1442500760962.jpg (71 KB, 360x446) Image search: [Google]
1442500760962.jpg
71 KB, 360x446
>>43655084
How the hell can these unfortunates break probability so hard? How you got a 5% chance for any number on a d20 and yet they always seem to manage to roll a 5 or less consistently.
>>
>>43648590
>In a way it doesn't matter what you roll. And that's what I'm trying to get through to you. THAT, I think, is the critical part. If I say, we're going to do point buy for attributes, and you simply pick, you shop for your points and pick them. Or if I said we're going to do 4d6 and drop the lowest and assign them however you want. That's another way to do it. If I say, roll 4d6, drop the lowest and reroll 1s. You'll get really really high stats. What *I'm* telling you is that it doesn't MATTER. So what do you care if I tell you this? Because it's unbalanced? Yeah it's unbalanced! Have you tried it? Nooo. The immediate question I get is, "Well, it's 3 six sided dice. I'm gunna roll crap!" That's possible, yes. "What if I roll bad?" What if you roll good?! That's the game! You're so fixated on the *numbers*. "If I don't have a 16, if I don't have an 18, well my character sucks. My character's no good, he's not gunna be good at anything. Or my character has a 6 in an attribute, oh he's really bad! What can I do with this, he's got a *six*!"
The thing is (and he admits this later), this kind of logic only works for games where 3d6 in order was the default, like Basic D&D. In later editions, especially 3.x or later, the game ASSUMES you're going to have one or two really high stats, and if you don't have that, you're going to be pretty much useless, because the system math is built around characters being really, exceptionally great at their specialty.

He specifically says not to do 3d6 in later editions, and that it won't work. The point of the video is asking people to try things like Rules Cyclopedia D&D (which is perfectly fine), disguised as a rant about people being pussies in later editions (which is less fine).
>>
>>43649624
>No non-core races
>No Dwarves either
So everyone in your setting is humans, elves, and what, halflings?
>>
>>43649722
>He had even already planned out how many levels of what classes he was going to take, knew his build right down to which feats and spells.
The fact that 3.5 and PF demanded this kind of bullshit is why I don't play them anymore.

I don't like my RPGs to be deckbuilding games. I prefer to make my meaningful choices in-game, not before I've ever even arrived at the table.
>>
>>43654455
I don't know why, I also hate fucking dragonborns.
What the hell how can a FREKING DRAGON have stuff like +2 str and +1 cha when they are FREAKING DRAGONS
>>
File: 796.jpg (27 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
796.jpg
27 KB, 625x626
>>43655200
Bro, you must be new here, see there is this thing called trolls. They use Bait to start a fight or cause a wave of shitposts.
>>
File: curseemporium.jpg (169 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
curseemporium.jpg
169 KB, 760x596
>>43649624
>Oh. I live in town and curse people.
>"Get the fuck away from my table."

>implying that's not a great way to make a living
>>
>"I'm playing a Paladin"
>Has literally a whole page of backstory

My whole character was based around killing shit so he could buy an army and overthrow the king of neverwinter. Our characters had more fights wiyh each other than the enemies we encountered.
>>
>>43655129
The universe hates them.

And then you have the guys who roll poorly and roll well, but their good rolls only ever come up on the relatively trivial stuff, and they always roll like shit on the important ones.
>>
>>43655080

>Oh nooo I'll be uselesssss if I don't have 18 in my stat of choice

K bitch boi
>>
File: 1415870547880.jpg (104 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1415870547880.jpg
104 KB, 900x900
>>43655244
That is more playing Lawful Good all wrong than anything. Most D&D players can't RP for shit, so they resort to the stereotypes of the alignment on their sheet.

It's why allignments are shit.
>>
>>43655244
>Has literally a whole page of backstory
Only one page?

I can see why that would be a problem.
>>
>>43653777
>If you're going to fuck us at least give the illusion that you're not actually raping us, for fuck's sake!
I can't help it, you passed the will save vs it.
>>
>>43648334
I suppose other peeves would be
>My setting has oceans
>in my setting people breathe
>>
>>43647003
I once found a nice little group to play in, and I made a basic nomadic barbarian character. They told me it'll have roleplaying and dungeoneerig in equal amounts.

The "roleplaying part" was:
>Your characters get into the city and meet up in a brothel. What kind of girl do you want?

When the GM and his wife started RPing the scene out, I excused myself and left.
>>
>>43655303
>When the GM and his wife started RPing the scene out
Jesus Christ.

Can they not get off on this shit in the bedroom? Do they need to be around a table rolling dice?
>>
File: 1422594547375.jpg (38 KB, 347x441) Image search: [Google]
1422594547375.jpg
38 KB, 347x441
>>43655288
>Needing anything more than a couple sentences

Nigga I just need to know where he's from and what he does, I don't want to read his fucking life story
>>
There's this one annoying dude in my gaming circles who ALWAYS likes to build against my characters. What I mean is while I build a character that can do some things outside of their role, he loves to make a specialist that purposely outdoes me and steals the spotlight when it's intended to pass around. Then he says how "mediocre" I am.

That and in one game this throat-punchable autist loved taunting me when I was playing a pilot character in one of the games and the GM brought me into the group by literally having me crash land into the enemy.

Ever since he would constantly IC and OOC say "don't let her pilot. She'll crash again!"

Meanwhile he has a character that can render the majority of any challenge and any chance of the party getting to do something obsolete.

And he pulls enough of the party resources where if he misses a session we are hurting bad. He fucks up the curve, hard.
>>
>>43655332
This. I sum up my backstories in a few short sentences or even in point form, just getting a few major details. I build from there, fill it out as I go, and develop my character's personality as I play.
>>
>>43648796
Generic tropes having twists on them, moral grey areas, races not universally one alignment, huge ruins of past civilizations, opportunities to explore the history of the setting, one setting having varied moods and lands, logically explained, realistic (in the context of the setting) decisions of nations and individuals.
>>
>>43655290
How? I told you I choose to fail so I don't need to roll will!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.