[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Enrapturous Beauty.jpg (151 KB, 481x623) Image search: [Google]
Enrapturous Beauty.jpg
151 KB, 481x623
>"The number 4 loomed large over the original release of DCC RPG: specifically the 4th edition of Dungeons & Dragons. DCC RPG would likely never have existed had D&D 4E not failed so spectacularly. I was personally motivated to create a game I actually enjoyed playing, and Goodman Games needed a product line to replace the faltering sales of 4E products."

>"What exactly are those cultists burning?"

>"The answer is, D&D 4E books."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/dcc-rpg-4th-printing/posts/1412693
>>
>>43615316

>kickstarter
>edition wars
>DCC

It's triple the bait!
>>
Too awesome to be bait.
>>
>comes with six adventure modules if you purchase the 40 dollar core rulebook

I wish I could get that Hackmaster money back right about now.
>>
File: abstract feel.jpg (13 KB, 298x300) Image search: [Google]
abstract feel.jpg
13 KB, 298x300
>>43615316
>The answer is, D&D 4E books."
>MFW my group is the only group on earth who like 4e's combat more than the other editions

I just really liked how it emphasized spatial awareness and positioning.
>>
>>43616621
>MFW my group is the only group on earth who like 4e's combat more than the other editions

Considering the fact there was plenty of shitstorming about 5e to the effect of "it's not 4e and that makes me unhappy" I highly doubt you're the only group. Unless your group is composed of some fucking prolific posters.
>>
>>43616640
It's mostly the people who are really, really pissed Warlord is gone.
>>
>>43615316
>4e
>Not good for dungeoncrawling
Yeah, nah, fuck off. Dungeoncrawling was like the one thing it did well.
>>
>>43616621
You're not the only ones.

>>43617249
It did tactical combat really well.
There wasn't a lot to support dungeon crawling itself.
A campaign could take place entirely aboveground and nobody would bat an eye.
>>
>>43617249

DCC's devs are kind of sperglords. I mean. these guys built a separate table for each and every spell in their game, that you roll on every time you cast a spell, to see what the effect is.
I kind of admire the effort, but that is some autism right there.
>>
>>43617374
That is called "dedication". No need to deploy generic meaningless slur #73.
>>
>>43617803

Nah, it's called "being Hackmaster Lite."
>>
>>43615316
This is such a cuntish statement to make in the blog about your own game.
>>
>>43618139
Oh please, all he said was that he created his game when WotC shit all over his company and tried to force them to make product for a badly selling game.
>>
>>43616681

The Warlord was pretty damn awesome and it's 5e equivalent is a pale shade of it.

I know that I'm not a fan of that myself.
>>
>>43617338

Honestly, I found non-dungeon the most fun with it.

A lot more room for playing with terrain types.

I have very fond memories of a 4e battle on the back of an Ebberon Lightning Rail trail.
>>
>>43616621
Dude, I'm still playing in a 4E game (well, group. The old game died when one guy had to move out of state due to family issues and another disappeared off the face of the earth).

4E is a legit system. Yes, the rules and guidelines favored combat but we always found ourselves mostly focused on the story. Like one time we were heading through some woods when some assholes killed a unicorn nearby. Now, rather than let the poor thing rest in peace, my character (a wizard) starts thinking of ways to get the horn. We drive off the assholes with some intimidate checks from the fighter and the Druid moves to take the unicorn. I ask the DM about how long this whole episode was and he said about 30 seconds. I put my hand on the druid and cast Memory to Mists, dumbfounding her (she forgets the last minute and the next 10 minutes or some shit). I then help the fighter break the horn away from the skull and pocket it as he chucks the body into the river. Druid comes two, we look at her like she is an idiot for losing track of the conversation, go on our merry way.

Or the time me and another fighter got a sailor to drink a magical poison on a ship that turned the sailor into an enraged treant. Had to break the mast to get knocked off the ship. DM was all "will you two stop fucking with the magic item?" Our response was to try and dump the contents in the city's wells. We died shortly thereafter on an island.
>>
File: kek.jpg (180 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
180 KB, 517x768
>>43620389
Sorry, flipped the time on that. Previous 10 minutes, then the next 1 minute. Still, fucking was rolling at the table with hardy guffaws and superlative laughs
>>
Y'know, if we want an edition war thread, all you would have to do is dig up the 4e designer quotes where they talk about their regrets.

Doesn't matter that that doesn't effect the games players, they will take it personally and go nuts.
>>
4e remembrance thread?

I once got my players healing surges really low after hours of fighting.
>>
>>43618016
My point still stands.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.