[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you use a voice different from your normal voice when speaking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 1441758328084.png (22 KB, 170x164) Image search: [Google]
1441758328084.png
22 KB, 170x164
Do you use a voice different from your normal voice when speaking as your character? Does your DM do different voices? Do you think it's important at the table?
>>
I only do voices when I'm the dm, typically. It's too much work to keep a consistent accent or different voice as a player. I will however, alter my cadence as a player, talking how a goblin or a haughty noblewoman might speak.

And I don't even try doing a womanly voice. I simply can't do it and it embarrasses me terribly.
>>
sometimes I do, if I can actually get into the headspace of a character. I was in a game that felt very video gamey and railroady at times and I just couldn't feel the character of my characters. on the other hand, in a deadlands game I played a black hat cowboy who called every party member by some derivitave nickname, I had a slight drawl and gruff tone every time I spoke in character and can't remember any of the other PC's actual names to this day, though I know what I called all of them.
>>
No, that's silly and shows you have mental problems.
>>
>>43612118
Go on up, you bald head.
>>
>>43612001
Yes

I'm the dm

Moderately important (at least don't talk with everyday slang)
>>
My DM does, he's actually quite good. I think he could do it professionally, but he makes more money and more reliably where he is. He gets a lot of enjoyment out of doing voices for us and for his kids, so he's happy enough.
>>
>>43612001
Per >>43612101 I mostly just stick to changing cadence and tone, I find that's usually enough. The way I talked as my overexcited magical student who constantly goes off on Arcane-babble tangents had a totally different rhythm than my straight-faced, serious Druid. That plus conveying the differing emotional tenor is usually enough, I find.

IF you can do it well as a DM though, I find it's quite a useful skill. Helps differentiate your NPCs.
>>
I do accents sometimes.
>>
>>43612001
If I can maintain a consistent accent, sure.
I'm not that great though, I'm practicing though.
>>
My DM had three modes: rugged tough guy voice, disdainful noble voice and slurred speech for servants and annoying NPCs. His natural voice is the best though and he is brilliant with descriptions so I can bear with every military person, including conscripts talking like they're Schwarzenegger
>>
>>43612001

Yes on all counts. It helps you get invested in your character, and when people concentrate on speaking as their character, they goof off less. At least that's how it seems with my group.
>>
>>43612001
Whend I played my ranger in ravenloft, I did it one session before my throat began to hurt.
It also was the best campaign because it was the 1st one to finish.
I miss you guys, even though none of you visit 4chan.
>>
i talk into a pop bottle when i speak as my explorator, it gives that kinda distorted effect as well as kind of sounding like a big guy
>>
>>43612001

I always play the same character, and his voice is the same as my own.

My DM and the other players do a lot of different voices, but none of them well. They don't exactly inspire me to try to expand my repertoire.
>>
>>43612001
It depends on the character. I usually only go on an accent when it's a particularly-memorable line that I think "oh shit, my dwarf brawler dude has the perfect thing to say right now, better start sounding like fucking Iron Sheik" and then people'll remember what he sounds like even when I don't do the accent.
>>
>>43612143
Okay. That's it. That's fucking it. You and your little friends are getting the she-bears.
>>
>>43612001
I'm blessed with an extra accent thanks to a Kiwi mother, so I'm able to do a complete shift for in-character dialogue. Though that doesn't really work characters who don't have some variety of english-origin accent.
>>
>>43612001
Hell yeah I do. Everybody loves my Grok 'Eadbasha voice.
>>
>>43612001
I troll my trans GM by saying he should use his guy voice for male NPCs.
>>
I'm the DM so yeah I have to.

I'm also somewhat proud of the fact that my players think I have a female co-DM or sister or girlfriend reading my lines when I try to change my voice to sound feminine

I'm too swole to look like a girl
>>
It's pretty much the only reason I DM. I absolutely adore doing accents and voices and each race and clan and group gets a different accent. It also helps to let the players know immediately whether I'm talking as the character or narrating instead of going "he says X."

My old DM was pretty bad at voices but I never had the heart to tell him. He got a little better towards the end but the only accents he managed to accumulate were Irish and Russian and they weren't THAT great.
>>
File: tumblr_nu6e4fJp1w1qz71z8o3_1280.png (918 KB, 1024x554) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu6e4fJp1w1qz71z8o3_1280.png
918 KB, 1024x554
>>43612001
>different voices

I try, but I'll never be as good at these guys.

They're professionals.
>>
>>43612001
I'm not a fan of silly voices, which is what they are upwards of 95% of the time. Silly voices detract from immersion rather than adding to it. If somebody talks in their normal voice, I can accept their speaking style as something that's out-of-character (and mentally adjust for what I think their character sounds like), but when they are adopting an accent specifically for a character, then their portrayal crowds anything else out, and I imagine the character sounding pretty much as silly as they do. And funny voices also distract from more important things, like actual characterization. By all means, change intonation, but stop with that zany British accent you do all the time. It's not helping.
>>
My group doesn't even speak as their characters, we all talk in third-person.
>>
>>43612001
When I'm a player, yes. My current character has a Scottish accent, the one before a Romanian accent.

When I DM, I try to. I like to make the characters sound unique, but I have a big problem doing female voices, they all end up sounding like a teenager whose voice hasn't broke yet.
>>
>>43612001
I raise my pitch a bit and soften my words as best as I can, because I'm playing a female.

When I DM, every character they meet has a different voice, because I can do voices for men.
>>
>>43615916
>tfw tiberius isn't part of the group anymore

Why even watch?
>>
I GM and I don't do different accents for different characters because though I have been told I am pretty good at certain accents I get very self conscious about doing bad accents. Instead I generally alter my cadence and vocabulary in order to get the character's personality across as I feel that that is more descriptive anyways of the character's personality. For instance a know it all will speak brashly and use a large vocabulary while someone who is shy will speak softly and perhaps stammer a bit, maybe even using a simpler vocabulary so people don't pay as much attention.
>>
It's good to have a different voice even as a player so you can easily differentiate in-character and out-of-character speech.
My character talks like a old drunk Finnish man because he's a crab.
>>
Any suggestions for voice changers?
Not because I want to sound like a grill or anything.
>>
>>43615916
Trying too hard desu
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.