[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if, a race of mushroom people that releases their spores
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: Ecovative-Mushrooms-Getty.jpg (1 MB, 1460x913) Image search: [Google]
Ecovative-Mushrooms-Getty.jpg
1 MB, 1460x913
What if, a race of mushroom people that releases their spores upon death. The more glorious the death, the more spores they release and the farther they spread.

This race produces a very large number of paladins.
>>
>>43596615
So orks?
>>
>>43596626
Better, paladin orks of the emperor.
>>
>>43596615
My DM homebrewed a myconid subspecies that did this. They were driven by instinct to travel far and wide. Had an oddly touching moment when my character died and was replaced by the only spore that managed to take root in the barbarian's filthy boot.
>>
>>43596615

That sort of hinges on them having some sort of genetic memory to grow with and know a sense of right/wrong, or alternatively they have no genetic memory and after emerging/waking up a mushroom they seek out the nearest civilization and imitate them. This close inspection and imitation gives them strong insight into the moral codes of the civilization, more than most of the actual inhabitants would even care about, hence becoming paladins.

>autistic orphan mushroom paladins
>>
>>43596615
I like this idea a lot, plus the though of a massive spore emission after a touching death scene makes me chuckle.

One question though, since mushrooms are the reporductive organ of the fungus, are mushroom people composed only of the equivalent of a giant dick, or is there something else to them (in pic, the creature would be something looking like the three + the shrooms) ?
>>
>>43597009
>Fantasy equivalent of the foreign exchange student doing better in history class than the natives
I can dig it.
>>
>>43597009
If they're like myconids they probably have an "oral" tradition where they trip balls and hallucinate the tales of their ancestors as well as legends they've inherited from contact with others.
>>
Could the race have sub-races in a similar vain to other types of fungus? Yeast? Cordyceps?
Could they do something similar to the spore-servants of the myconid? This could be very interesting.
>>
>>43596615
m8...
>>
File: aheago face.gif (208 KB, 312x322) Image search: [Google]
aheago face.gif
208 KB, 312x322
>certain types of fungi mate by literally melting their bodies together, fusing systems until they become one function organism that sprouts a fruiting body

kinky shit right there
>>
Perhaps some mushrooms can be giant dicks, and the other giant fleshlights.
>>
>>43597009
I think nearest civilization would be the outskirts and those places are lawless. If anything the mushroom people will likely be filthy drunks.
>>
>>43597981
But beer is made with yeast. That would be cannibalism.
>>
>Not running a man vs nature campaign where two different species of fungus on opposite poles of the globe attempt to spread and breed with each other to release a cloud of deadly zombie spores
>>
>>43598026
Which the revelation causes depression and more drinking.
>>
>>43598057
> not running a fungus vs fungus campaign where the opposite species of fungus ARE zombies
>>
File: yellow amanita.jpg (392 KB, 972x768) Image search: [Google]
yellow amanita.jpg
392 KB, 972x768
I like the idea of Fungi living in a sort of caste-system based upon their species within a larger fungi society. Sort of like how in Hinduism people are born into certain tasks/ duties depending on birthright.

>Rare French Truffles are the nobles, highly reguarded they are the Brahman of the fungal empire.
>Midwestern Morrel mushrooms, less rare than truffles but still highly valuable are equivalent in society to the landed gentry/ lesser nobles
>oyster mushrooms are the soldiers, what with their ability to process large amounts of material quickly
>harder-skinned bracket fungi are highly regarded as the great architects and builders of the fungi empire, constructing great buildings from their fruiting body.
>the shitake and white button caste are the commoner farmers, crucial to producing food for the kingdom
>yeasts specialize in fermentation and are always in charge of restaurants, producing food and drink. They worship their own Dionysus-like god.
>Cordyceps are the political assassins, infiltrators and rogues
>Slime molds that naturally feed on the grossest and most putrid of dead material are the lowest of the castes, despite their necessary job keeping the empire clean, similar to the hindu rat-catcher's caste

Now I want a cool game where you can allocate biomass points into certain species of fungi with different prices, and grow your empire/ go to war against other factions.
>>
>>43596704
How do you kill them?
>>
>>43599518
Same way you kill everything. Or do you mean as a species? Fire works pretty well. My character was killed by a Blue Dragon in a desert. The dry conditions didn't allow for his spores to survive except for one that got into the barbarian's boot.
>>
>>43600117
http://www.kcet.org/news/redefine/rewild/fungi/hard-summer-rains-bring-desert-mushrooms.html
>>
>>43599518
fungicide spray, or just bury them in soil with a low pH
>>
>>43598527
In Ghoul Quest there was a race of mushroomfolk that were able to connect to each other in a crude hive mind through a massive network of mycelium, each caste effectively being just a specialized extension of the greater Network.
>>
>>43601899
They can choose when to connect themselves? Or are they connected all the time? I think dromites have a hivemind as well
>>
>>43598026
Yeast is a different special of fungus.

The drinking of beer is a sacred act.

Mushroom barkeep takes his work seriously. Drinking is a sacrament. His pub is a temple, he is its priest. His apron is his holy vestment. If you must brawl you will do so under his scrutiny for it is an honour duel to determine the favour of his God. All quests given in a pub are holy missions and to abandon them is to invite the barkeeps considerable wroth.

Any who die in his temple are taken to the hops fields and buried on consecrated ground.
>>
>>43596615
>Witness me!

Spores everywhere.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.