[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have sixty seconds to justify why a fantasy setting would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6
File: wiz_rod.jpg (153 KB, 679x950) Image search: [Google]
wiz_rod.jpg
153 KB, 679x950
You have sixty seconds to justify why a fantasy setting would contain magic, which doesn't exist in real life, without using any argument that boils down to "it's not real life". If you don't answer in sixty seconds I'll kill you through the internet.
>>
Because I, as the author, fucking said so.
>>
>>43589132
It's fun
>>
Because magic has been a staple of fantasy since before written history. Don't fix what it isn't broken.
>>
It's easier to write.
>>
>magic
>doesn't exist in real life
Check out this muggle.
>>
Gods made magic
>>
>you have 60 seconds to explain why fiction is fictional without saying it's fiction
>>
Magic is just science unexplained.
>>
>>43589165
Yes, that's what he said.
>>43577614
What an interesting and original thread. I expect hundreds of replies in this one too.
>>
>>43589136
this
>>
>>43589132
>You have sixty seconds to
Stopped reading there. There are a bunch of things I can do in 60 seconds. Like writing this snary comment. Sage
>>
Final Fantasy 4: Will Working; manipulation of malleable energies through imagination, focus and skill

Final Fantasy 7: Invocation of the Memory of Magic from long dead Ancients whose knowledge coalesced into stones

Final Fantasy X: The use of a Living Energy that permeates all things

Lost Odyssey: Collection of Magic Gates seeping into the world by large Rods that have some sort of magic processing engine mounted on them
>>
>>43589169
No.
>>
>fantasy
>not magic

Apparently you're confused about the genre.

The following list of things is fantasy, and they all have magic in one form or another:

Star Trek
>"I bound a tetryon field through an inverted nadion connector, and then jiggle this isolinear chip and that's how we can beam through shields."

Star Wars
>"Use the Force, Luke."

Battletech
>"Well, see, it's a feudal setting in space where knights fight duels with each other in giant suits of robot armor."

And that's not even bothering to examine FTL in fiction. Literally space magic.

But sure, I guess we can just have a setting where people die from ignorance, cholera, and infection, with only dreams and superstition to comfort them.
>>
>>43589200
None of those things exist in real life so obviously magic is WRONG WRONG WRONG!!
My knowledge of this basic fact makes me superior to you!
>>
>>43589132
Containing magic is the definition of a fantasy setting.
>>
>>43589221
:(

>>43589219
Star Trek is full of actual God's chilling out and changing the Universe through imagination or God Power or psychic brain waves.

The Force seems to be some Galatic Life Force made of every single loving thing from that Galaxy. At least that was my suspicion until they made medichlorians which was essentially the same idea but dumber
>>
>>43589293

The Greek gods are real in Star Trek. I've suffered through those TOS episodes.
>>
>>43589337
Too many God episodes in the original Star Trek.

End of Season 2 was the worst, like a bad improv that went on for 15 minutes of Kirk and Spock being mind raped until a Midget saved them.
>>
Because it's better and more interesting than real life so it sells better.
>>
Settings can use magic as an allegory for miracles e.g. Tolkien
Games can use magic as a third party to the classic rock-paper-scissor schematic of characters, or to allow players to serve an artillery role: slow and squishy but powerful.
In effect, because it's useful.
>>
File: Claire_gotcha_face.png (32 KB, 266x384) Image search: [Google]
Claire_gotcha_face.png
32 KB, 266x384
>>43589132

At will and accidental sex and gender changes.
>>
Because fuck you, I do what I want.
>>
>>43589132
>I'll kill you through the internet.
Say that to my face not online fucker and see what happens
>>
>>43589177
Welp looks like I'm going to have to add variations of "you have 60 seconds" to my list of filtered terms, alongside "excuse me"
>>
>>43589132
Because the universe in question has a different underlying set of "rules" than ours.

I propose a different thread topic: Discuss OP's love of dicks without saying he doesn't like them.
>>
>>43589293
Midichlorians aren't the Force. They're basically conduits that transform the Cosmic Force (the part that binds the galaxy together) into the Living Force, the aspect that's inherent in all life.

The Force is still the same mystical energy field it always was.
>>
File: 1398114531790.jpg (225 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1398114531790.jpg
225 KB, 633x758
>>43590949
>Actually defening the prequels
Just stop.
>>
>>43589132
Because it's fun and opens a wide variety of different types of people and more occupations (if said magic is mainstream).
>>
>>43589132
Because I wanted it to be in there so I put it in there when I created it.
>>
>>43589132
Cuz ur fag
>>
Butterfly effect. Wizards just have more insight into a single events consequences than other people
>>
>>43591007
Fuck off, plinket-fag.
>>
In my homebrew setting, magic is the result of gaps in causality, allowing for effects without a corresponding or proportional cause to happen (ie, shooting fireballs from your buttocks).

Sages call this "The Essence of the Impossible", but it's not really a thing or energy, but rather a "circumstance", sort of like a hole in the rules of nature that can accomodate supernatural stuff.

The idea is that there used to be gods and mortals toppled them (though it's left intentionally ambiguous). After a while, winds started to falter, seasons no longer had a clear order, the dead weren't getting to their afterlife, etc, so mortals created engines to simulate the power of deities. It sort of worked, but those in the know understood they were working with incomplete schematics.

So after centuries of tiny "glitches" introduced in nature due to their amateurish handling of the Celestial Mechanism, causality started to go bonkers, creating all sorts of problems (the biggest one, and central to the idea of the setting, being that parts of the world started to simply banish), until some folk figured out you could do nifty things with it.
>>
>>43591144
Let's forget Plinket exists, what do the prequels actually add to the original trilogy?

>It explains the backstory of Darth Vader
Great, now we know that he's a whiny bitch who wasn't tempted by the dark side as much as he just chose it as part of his many tantrums.

>It lets us see Yoda in action
But did we want to? Or rather, does it suit mister "war does not make one great" to bounce around in a ravestick show?

>It expands the universe
Yeah, now we have such great things as Jar Jar
>B-but Grievous was badass
In non-canon material he was a fucking badass, but that's literally only because fans were so desperate to make the prequels work

>Muh CGI tho bix nood
baka desu senpai
>>
>>43590461
Good. Maybe if I get enough people to filter and ignore stock bait phrases, they'll be posted less often.
>>
>>43589293
>every single loving thing
>not living
I'm stealing this idea.
>>
>>43591007
> implying

That's all from The Clone Wars, anon.
>>
>>43589132
You have Sixty seconds to justify why I shouldn't nail hot pockets to you and leave you out for the mods.
>>
>>43589132
Because I hate you.
>>
>>43589132
>magic isn't reals
Says you. I'm a magician.
>>
>>43589132
Because it's an interesting idea and a fun tool for players.
>>
>>43589132
Because magic can be a powerful storytelling device.
>>
>>43590401 wrong comic for that el Goonish Shive would be better for that unless you mean the fact that Jeff changed her gender from female to tumblr for the sole purpose of pleasing other tumblr people who give him money
>>
>>43589132
My dick.
>>
>>43589132
>Why would a fantasy setting contain magic
because it's a fantasy setting. holy shit
>>
>>43591007
>prequel hate bandwagon
They will be better than JJ shit.
>>
>>43589132
Because magic does exist in real life, you're just too much of a pleb to see it.
>>
>>43589132
Because my definition of magic exists in real life, while yours does not.
>>
>>43589132
Parallel universe
>>
>>43589132
Because it's fun and exciting.
>>
>>43595505
I like to imagine that thread is more intended as "this is the kind of setting I want to have, how do I make it make some amount of sense" than "your fun is wrong, try to justify it," if only because it's not uncommon for me to have the former problem and I can imagine phrasing a request for help with it in the manner of the linked thread.
>>
>>43589132
because it allows plot progressions that you can't have without it. You're playing with a different set of rules and it makes you think. And thinking is nurturing for your brain.
>>
>>43589213
well, if magic would exist irl it would of course become part of science
>>
>>43595567
No, it is phrased like bait.
If that anon wanted ideas to use in a game, his intention would be explicit.
>>
>>43589132
Flavor, fun and triggering of autists like you, OP.
>>
>>43589132
1. A fantasy setting introduces magic in order to interact with other things in the setting, creating an overlaying tone within context and allowing explanation to factors that may be difficult to justify without magic.

2. A fantasy setting uses magic as a better lens to explore mirrored concepts in reality that couldn't as readily be explored presented as they are in this alternate existence.

3. A fantasy setting is built around a magic concept as a practice in metaphysical thought, and the magic does not need to be justified in setting but instead the setting is justified around the magic which requires no explanation as the entire purpose there-of is to contain the magic.
>>
>>43595595
>>43595651
>>43595729
All those arguments boil down to "it's not real life" and are therefore invalid.
See here. >>43577614
You are having BADWRONGFUN, and also your sixty seconds are long past, so I declare myself the winner.
>>
>>43595765
Negative. The question proposed is "Why", not "How", therefore real life is irrelevant in the context and the answers are valid as long their purpose does not direct deal with escapism.
>>
>>43589132
>You have sixty seconds to justify why a fantasy setting would contain magic, which doesn't exist in real life,

HERE IT GOES:

>What happens on reality
Imagine a group called reality
Inside this group you have a sub-group of the same size called rules.
Inside this group you have a sub-group of the same size called science rules.
this group called science rules have many sub-groups smaller than it, inside it.

>What happens on the fantasy setting
There is a group called setting
This group has 2 sub-groups inside it, they arent of the same size of the group called setting.
One sub-group is called magic (and may of may not have subgroups inside this group, depends on the setting)
Another sub-group is a sub group called rules.
This sub-group has a sub-group of the same size called science rules.
This science rules sub-group of has many sub-groups inside it.
You have more information about magic than the mages on the rpg setting and you cant cast magic? Why??
Because its a characteristic of their universe. Their universe allow it, but ours dont.
This is why no matter how much you try to replicate it would means nothing.

To them magic is like the a cheat code on a game.
First play a game (dont use cheats please).
Now imagine you are playing an alternate version of this game where the cheats dont exist. Would the game be any different (assuming you dont use cheats)? NOPE
The magic is not the rules of their universe, but can alter it.
>>
>>43595765
So all fields that aren't the binary field, the integer field, and the reals have no importance and are useless to think about?
>>
>>43589132
Elder scrolls is pretty fleshed out in the lore department. I'll assume you mean to ask for a justification in world, so here it goes.
>pre-world-formation:there's a shit ton of divine spirits ebbing and flowing in and out of existence in the primordial void, according to a few groups at least. The big 2: Anu:being one of light, he's seen as the benevolent spirit of more righteous powers and order, and Padomay:the being of darker influence, associated with the primordial void and it's constant birthing and destroying, chaos.
>aside from them, there's thousands of other less huge entities.
>basically the trickster fucker, Lorkhan, wants to make a plane(t) for the weaker spirits, the reason varies from one religion to another. The spirits who become the 8 original Divines agree to pour their power into lorkhans world.
>Magnus, powerful fucker, tells Lorkhan he's a lying faggot for stealing their power and basically almost killing them, he and almost all the spirits leave the plane of reality for the outer one:Aetherius.
>each spirit leaves a hole in the border (firmament), and these are the stars in the sky, their size represents their power.
>Magnus' hole is the fucking sun. All magical energy leaks from Aetherius through these perforations, and with training, can be utilized from the arcane energy that's naturally within everyone. Vampires are hurt by the Suns light for the same cause as in JoJo's bizzare adventure, too much magical radiation burns their daedra-cursed form.
>oh, and the 8 divines and trinimac tear out lorkhans heart for being a cunt, throw it into morrowind, and Vvardenfell grows from its power
>16 of the spirits who stayed in reality didn't agree to give up divinity for the world, they became the Daedra
>1 of them, Meridia, was actually a high ranking spirit (Magna-ge) much like Magnus, but got banished from their fold for talking with the daedra too much
And that's only 1/1000th of TES lore.
I had to edit this way down
>>
>>43589132

Turns out that the area of the universe Earth is situated in is a sort of anti-magic field: it works perfectly fine outside the solar system.
>>
>>43589132
Because it allows for normally impossible things.
I'm still angry abut wizards. Remove pointy hat at once!
>>
>>43589132

Because if there's no magic or other fantastical elements, it's no longer a fantasy setting and is instead alternate history.
>>
>>43589132
>If you don't answer in sixty seconds I'll kill you through the internet.

How are you going to do that without magic, which you claim doesn't exist? Eat a bag of dicks.
>>
>>43589132

With what? Magic?
>>
File: 1427231643228.jpg (119 KB, 800x630) Image search: [Google]
1427231643228.jpg
119 KB, 800x630
>>43589132
>You have sixty seconds to justify why a shitposter would be able to kill me through the internet, which doesn't exist in real life, without using any argument that boils down to "magick/fun sux". If you don't answer in sixty seconds I'll put magic in my fantasy setting.
>>
>>43599113
No.
>>
>>43599113
Target your home with drones using the internet.
>>
because I'm the author and I wrote it into the setting
>>
Because it's a defining feature of the genre, isn't it? If not magic, at least some element of the truly supernatural.
>>
>>43589132
Because it's fun
>>
>>43589132
Magic is fun and I like it and other people like it, too.
>>
>>43589169
The most boring and uninteresting settings to to read and play-in contain that kind of magic.

I am of the opinion that magic should be weird and different.
>>
Because it's cool, and real life isn't cool.
>>
>>43589132
A working theory of Quantum Gravity turns out to contain the possibility for magic.

There done. Ya'll are retarded, magic is by definition stuff science can't truly explain. If you want autism proof magic, simply pick an area of science we can't explain.
>>
File: young-yoda.jpg (163 KB, 600x867) Image search: [Google]
young-yoda.jpg
163 KB, 600x867
>>43591200

Yoda in action was awful. The second best Yoda trait is of him as a badass character which didn't need to fight to prove it.

The best trait is that before knowing who he is, we get literally a crazy goblin in the swamp.
>>
>>43597044
Yes, the reach of human science destroyed so much of the fey realm.

Imagine, they have to disguise Cancer as a bunch of stars, and disguise themselves as "aliens" to keep putting changelings on baby cribs.

They destroyed Columbia, but mortals still don't get it.
>>
>>43589132
>magic, which doesn't exist in real life

Make up your fuckin' mind, OP
>>
Magic is for milksops and eunuchs anyway.
>>
>>43589132
"Magic" is derived from experimental biology that implants either bioelectric or mind-manipulating organs harvested from horrific creatures into the human body. This process is unreliable, often fatal, takes years to fully 'take', and requires constant drug treatment to prevent rejection.
In return people get to be walking tasers, or give those around them headaches.
points if you where this is from
>>
>>43589132

lets see you try it without magic, sucka

also I bet the stupid choice to use "you have x seconds to.." probably wasted a lot of posts in your shitty thread
>>
File: shadowrun 3e.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun 3e.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>43609016
'k.
>>
>>43589225
Not really, no.
>>
>>43591184
I like it.
>>
>>43589132
Because it's fucking awesome to summon angels to smite your enemy than to swing a sword at your enemy for plenty of people.
>>
>>43589132
>2015
>not being a wizard

Magic is real, you profane
>>
It's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit.
>>
>>43589200
Ffvi: magic comes from the life force of divine beings, whose corpses store and bestow such capabilities.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.