[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Theoretically, what would the materials gathered from a dead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
Theoretically, what would the materials gathered from a dead dragon wyrmling be worth in dnd 5e? What could my players reasonabley scavange and sell?
>>
>>43585636
Scales might make good armour or luxury material, and claws and teeth might be sellable as novelty items. The big money would likely come from whatever gland or sac is responsible for the creature's fire breath, though.
>>
Ten percent over standard wealth by level. It sounds like they're being creative, so give them a bonus, but you don't want to break the game.
>>
Isnt dragon blood worth something for its magical properties? Would scales retain elemental resistances to the breath weapon of that dragon?
>>
>>43585636
Vials of blood would likely fetch a premium from the right buyer. That shit can literally turn you into a sorcerer.
>>
Dragon bile was worth a lot in 3.5, not sure about 5e
>>
>>43585636
Dragon meat is considered a delicacy in certain regions, despite its odd taste.
>>
>>43585636
>What could my players reasonabley scavange and sell?

This is just a really basic list, but this is how I essentially break down and categorize the valuable parts of a butchered dragon:

>Horns
>Teeth
>Claws/Nails
>Bones
>Hide
>Scales
>Entrails (Alchemical)
>Entrails (Edible offal)
>Meat
>Blood
>Wyvern/Dragon Gem (Deliberately stolen from MH- they're basically mineral formations you can harvest from a Dragonkin's intestines.)
>>
>>43585878
>>food tastes weird and not many people like it
>>that's why it's called a delicacy
>>
>>43585636
Dragon dicks.
>>
>>43585636

there's a article on looting dead dragons for every little thing on the dnd website.
>>
>>43585963
>delicacy [noun]
>something delightful or pleasing, especially a choice food considered with regard to its rarity, costliness, or the like
>>
>>43586012
>>paying extra for the garbage parts of an animal
>>
>>43585636
Not sure. I would say there are a few nobles or magic users who would love some dragon bits though and would be willing to pay a decent per-pound or per-part rate.
>>
>>43586038
>European Nobility
>>
>>43586038
>being too poor to pay for the best parts
>>
>>43585636
That's more of a setting specific question than a system specific question don't you think?
>>
>>43586052
>>let's eat the worst tasting, least nutritious part of the animal
>>then we'll be just like them hoighty toighty rich folks!
>>
>>43586148
>Being so pleb the only thing you can taste is how salty you are
>>
>>43585636

Dragons are absurdly powerful creatures of legendary reverence, magical power, and highly valued reputation throughout most of D&D's lore. Pretty much anything you can scavenge off of a dragon will have some kind of value.
>>
>>43586038

>implying there are any bad parts to an innately magical fucking dragon
>implying a dragon is just an animal
>>
>>43586148
>implying caviar isn't fucking delicious
>>
>>43586177
>>spotted the poor person who wants to buy his way into class by copying what he sees on tv
>>
File: 1366339597821.jpg (111 KB, 1058x705) Image search: [Google]
1366339597821.jpg
111 KB, 1058x705
>>43585835

That's not how that works. You can't shoot up dragon blood to become dragon-blooded...

Or can you...
>>
>>43586293
PHB pg 102

"Your innate magic come from draconic magic that was mingled with your blood or that of your ancestors."
>>
>>43586325

I'm going to need three hundred liters of dragon blood. I don't care where you get it.

I'm also going to need a still, a needle and a length of tubing.

While you're about, see if the cathedral still offers raise dead discounts on Sundays.
>>
>>43586413
My setting now has raise dead discounts on their designated day of rest.
>>
>>43586413
>>43586325
>>43586293
My next setting is going to feature the Nobility sponsoring Dragon hunts for the express purpose of creating new/strengthening existing sorcerous bloodlines.
>>
>>43585636
Probably just bones, but potentially the whole thing they used something like a Gentle Repose spell.

>>43585942
>dragon parts list
I think "meat" can also be broken down into muscles and sinew. Can you imagine how awesome it would be to have a bowstring made with dragon sinew? Also, I'm sure someone would have a use for dragon eyes and brains.
>>
>>43586721
>DESIGNATED
>>
>>43585942
I have never for the life of me been able to justify a Wyvern Gem, which is essentially a gizzard stone, to have any use.

It's literally what they failed to digest, so it can't be a fuel of some sort, nor does it make sense to be anything good for your body despite what folklore believed.

I've got "junk magic that is a concentrated ball of mutagens waiting to be released" and that's it.

I suppose it could be an extremely concentrated toxin or contain special minerals from something they eat? Both are rather inefficient when you compare the size of gizzard stone you get from a given volume of animal.
>>
>>43585636

Depends on how they sell it. People will buy anything if its pitched to them the right way. People have purchased bracelets with a shiny sticker on it because they were told it would "Center their energies and enhance their strength."

Even after being told it was fake, people still bought it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Balance
>>
>>43585636
Trading and crafting dragon parts manual attached.
>>
>>43585636
Does the party include anyone skilled in harvesting such parts?
Any Ranger? Anyone trained as a hunter, trapper, butcher or taxidermist?
If yes, go wild. From a wyrmling, I would allow materials sufficient to create a single common magic item. Any party member who could reasonable craft the item type could make a superior version. I might give them disadvantage on social rolls with dragons while they display it, other than intimidate that is.

If they just want mundane gear, let them make some jewelry, charm bangles, a nice set of boots or so. Then there is food. If a party member is a trained chef, let them prepare a meal that, when consumed, grants a boon, say resistance to the damage type associated with that dragon, until the next long rest after the meal.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.