[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deck building games recommendation.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
What is the best deck building game out there?
>>
>>43575789

>>43518394
>>
File: pic1751753.jpg (182 KB, 1660x771) Image search: [Google]
pic1751753.jpg
182 KB, 1660x771
>>
>>43575789
I've played Ascension, High Command, Star Realms and the Resident Evil deck building games. Of those 4 I would have to say that I like Star Realms the best just because it's relatively quick and also directly competitive as opposed to the indirect competition for games like Ascension and Resident Evil
>>
File: pic394356.jpg (751 KB, 2019x2022) Image search: [Google]
pic394356.jpg
751 KB, 2019x2022
As boring as the answer sounds like...

Deckbuilders I really want to try out: Trains, Valley of the Kings, Eminent Domain.
>>
>>43575789
Honestly they're all the same. Ascension I guess just because there's so many expansions and mechanics at this point that it'll be the most varied.
>>
>>43575789
Android Netrunner.
>>
File: nightfall-3dbox.gif (23 KB, 250x190) Image search: [Google]
nightfall-3dbox.gif
23 KB, 250x190
>>43575789
Nightfall is pretty great and actually the only deckbuilding game i played, so i can't compare it to what else is out there.

Presentation goes along the lines of the Underworld movies, with werewolves, humans and vampires hunting each other.
What's nice is that it has a big emphasis on long combos and chains and allows to chain your own cards outside of your turn, though that isn't always the most intelligent thing to do.

Also the wound mechanic is pretty interesting, as any damage you take is represented by wound-cards you add to your deck. They generate carddraw and act like an adrenaline-rush to keep you in the game, but if you can't keep up with the pace and expand your decksize accordingly you will start to draw nothing but wounds, beeing unable to make effective chains.

So in general, really fast deckbuilder that represents it's theme through mechanics really well. Most games take about half an hour to an hour max.
>>
>>43576784
Not a deckbuilder, you illiterate mongoloid.
>>
>>43576999
No need to get so uppity, grognard.

>>43576987
Second this. Nightfall has direct conflict, but in a way that feels more tangible than star realms (with wounds fucking over your draws or boosting your options), also has a bit more in the way of diplomacy as game is over when wound pile runs out, rather than everyone being "dead".
>>
http://www.mechanics-and-meeples.com/
>>
Legendary Encounters

Though I am biased by being a huge Alien/Aliens fan. Even with the Alien 3 and 4 crap tacked on, it's a must-own for fans of the series.
>>
Nightmare: The Trading Card Game
and
Shinkukan
>>
>>43578123
This
>>
>>43576987
Chaining outside your turn is actually one of the more clever things in the game, if the right stuff is in the cardpool. Do it right and you can hose enemy threats the moment they're played. Hell, just drafting the right cards to create the threat of that happening can get the other guy on the defensive.

Also the game goes completely nuts when you have four players and throw most of the expansions into the pool-drafting deck. I once built a looping combo that let me directly wound opponents while generating board presence. And lost horribly because I forgot to account for the one dude healing out his Wounds when I decided who to pounce on.
>>
Is this one of those threads where if someone says M:tG, they'll get scoffed off the board?
>>
>>43579370
Yes, because mtg isn't a deck builder game.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deck-building_game
Draft is similar, but no it does not count.
>>
>>43578952
I didn't say it's a bad thing to to, but sometimes you want to keep a few cards for your own turn i order so have something on the board to take hits.

Also, that combo sounds hilarous, never really got my hands on an expansion.
>>
>>43579778
The looped combo involved looping white-green-purple (or maybe white-purple-green, I forget) to play this one minion who passes out free damage for Halloween when you equip her with stuff, then equip her with a thing, then do it a second time in one turn.I seem to remember the thing having synergy with her, too, but it's been almost three years since then. I'm pretty sure all the cards in that loop were from different sets.

Definitely see if you can find expansions. They make the pool deeper and more interesting, and one of them actually had alternate starting cards that do different stuff; for instance, the alternate green starter doesn't give you bonus influence when you chain him, but lets you buy cards from other players' private stacks that turn.
>>
>Tanto Cuore
is a better version of dominion, if you don't mind the animu re-skin.
>Nightfall
has some of the smartest mechanics in deckbuilders.
>Ascension
(with expansions) is varied enough to keep you hooked for a while. IF you don't mind the weird/horrible art.
>Star Realms
is just fucking great. It's Ascension-lite, but I don't get the same-y feeling I get when playing base Ascension.

I would also recommend you check some bag-building game, like Dicemasters.
>>
>>43575789
Mage Wars
though you build a deck in a very different sense
you build a spellbook an don't draw cards, but pick any two cards to have in you hand each turn (if you don't use them, they go back in the spellbook)
check up reviews and such to see how it makes it a fun and tactical game; it's really good
>>
Depends on how heady you want to go.
If you want light I LOVE Star Realms. Very streamlined, intuitive, and does PVP the best of any deck builder.
Medium weight I reccomend Rune Age and Legendary Encounters: Alien. Rune Age because it has multiple modules to play it either pvp, co-op, resource managment, or classic solo game. Alien because it gives an awesome narrative experience, and only a faggot doesn't like the first two Alien Movies.
If you want heavy I highly recommend A Study In Emerald Second Edition and Mage Knight. Study in Emerald has some amazing amount of strategy and subtle yet deep mechanics. Mage Knight will make the analytical side o your brain cum a river. Fucking epic.
>>
>>43580638
No more a deckbuilder than MtG or A:NR.
Also Mage Wars is long as balls 9/10 games, way too slow for a 1v1 of that depth, though academy looks good. The boardgame generals discuss it with some regularity. >>43518394
>>
>>43580828
I hate when people mistake CCG style games with Deckbuilders. Its a petty thing to get upset by but it gets to me. I played Academy at Essen and thought it was awesome. Likewise I really like MW but feel its a big lengthy and could have been made better. Academy strips away the minis aspect and make a great CCG style card game out of it.
>>
>>43575789
Trains, Eminent Domain, Puzzle Strike and Copycat are all really good.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.