[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG casual/kitchen table general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 61
File: aura gnarlid.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
aura gnarlid.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
This is the thread for new players to ask rules questions or get deck building advice. Feel free to ask anything here or post deck lists for criticism.

Please use http://tappedout.net/ for deck lists. nobody will read a wall of text and look up every single card
>>
File: Image.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
has anyone seen a good edh deck around this card? wanna get some coin flippin on the road
>>
I'm kind of in that in the ground in between casual and standard/modern. I basically just draft / play kitchen table with my friends, but I definitely feel that some of my decks have surpassed the group power level.

Anyway, what are you guys running currently? I have a RW allies deck, and a RU thopter deck which is a blast to play.
>>
>>43562645

Play Frenetic Efreet. Protect him and Chance Encounter. Win.
>>
>>43562766
my kitchen table decks are monogreen stompy, the graveborn premium deck series deck (in original configuration), The BFZ event deck, a bad goblin tribal deck, and for those really low powered games I've got some of the old duel decks to play with.
>>
>>43562645
I always wanted to make a deck with inktreader nephilim and fiery gambit to go with that. now that zada exists I'm tempted by a monored build.
>>
>>43562968
>inktreader nephilim
how would that combo with fiery gambit and chance encounter?
>>
Some of my friends want to try a variant called mana drop. The rule is you start the game by putting all the lands in your hand into play and then draw that many cards. repeat until you have a 7 card hand with no lands. When you draw a land you put it into play and draw another card

Is this as dumb as it sounds?
>>
>>43562645
RUG (ideally Riku of Two Reflections)
Krark's Thumb, Doubling Season, Ral Zarek,Goblin Bomb, Isochron Scepter + Odds
>>
>>43563046
ive been asking myself some similar questions. why not scrap mana alltogether. you get 1 mana of your choice every turn, like in hearthstone
>>
>>43563046
1x Progenitus
10x Plains
10x Island
10x Swamp
10x Mountain
10x Forest
>>
>>43563046
>55 lands, 1 banefire, 4 reverberate
welp. sounds pretty retarded to me
>>
>>43563100
I've always wanted to do Force of Magic porting Force of Will rules to magic

basically you have a commander and a separate land deck and you can tap the commander to play the top card of that land deck. The commander can't do anything else if it taps for mana so basically you chose between land drops or using your commander
>>
>>43563104
>draw and play entire deck minus porgenitus
>play progenitus
>lose
>?
>>
>>43563224
i guess you need eight of him then, money format
>>
>>43563062
how about droppin g and adding b for some tutors and removal
>>
>>43562645

Include some Game of Chaos just for a little randomness. Volatile Rigs could be interesting creatures for your deck.
>>
>>43563046
>53 Mountains
>7 Lightning Bolts

gg
>>
>>43563035
fiery gambit targets exactly one creature, wether or not you win enough flips to actually damage it. you get to flip coins until you lose an amount of times equal to the number of creatures on the board. if you can't get at least ten wins out of that you're not runnig enough krark's thumbs.
>>
>>43562435

4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Viscera Dragger
4 Twisted Abomination
4 Xathrid Necromancer
4 Scourge of Neltoth
1 Grave Titan
1 Unbreathing Horde

4 Necromancer's Stockpile
1 Buried Alive
1 Living Death

24 Land
>>
how much creatures should i have in draft decks?
>>
>>43564025
around 15
>>
>>43564025
As many as possible usually, I usually end up with around 12-18. It really depends on the draft format though, creatures are your go-to cards in draft because they always have an impact on the field
>>
>>43563135
Huge FoW fan here.
I love this idea and will be bringing it up.
My group has conjectured things like this before, but it makes several parts of magic unplayable because of it, mainly anything that has one search for a land (looking at you green).
>>
>>43564238
couldn't you still do it from the land deck?
>>
File: 1-2 deck bfz.jpg (830 KB, 1854x1476) Image search: [Google]
1-2 deck bfz.jpg
830 KB, 1854x1476
>>43564110
>>43564119
i made this deck last draft and got 1-3 score :(
i think the problem is in too many non creatures spells.
everybody just played some rush decks and i didn't have any chance
>>
I like the titan cycle from the core sets, how could I make a deck focused on them?
>>
File: average-magic-player.jpg (121 KB, 1296x864) Image search: [Google]
average-magic-player.jpg
121 KB, 1296x864
To anyone who has never gone to a gameshop for an event, do it! Ask for help from your peers, don't be afraid to get friendly with people. Just avoid the smelly ones, their skill level is usually on parity with their hygiene skills.
>>
>>43565354
I'm actually going on one next week, Iong story short I've got a Grave Advantage deck which the owner sold to me cheap, but I've got to upgrade it (playing Pauper T2), I'd really appreciate help upgrading it.
>>
File: discard it all bitch.jpg (74 KB, 447x312) Image search: [Google]
discard it all bitch.jpg
74 KB, 447x312
quick post junk combos
>>
>>43564706

You're playing 24 non-land cards, that's a big problem in this format. If I were you I would have cut Roilmage's Trick and Grave Birthing. Grave Birthing isn't a bad card, but it's at its best when you have Processors to take advantage of exiling a card with it, and it certainly doesn't have as big an impact as your other spells. You want to be playing 18 lands as well. Other than that it doesn't look like a bad deck actually.
>>
>>43565354
your image seems to directly contradict your assertion
>>
>>43564706
Zulaport Cutthroat is pretty bad in that archetype, as is Nirkana assasin. Cloud manta's just pretty not great and splashing for wanderer is not worth. You could have thrown out roilmage's trick and adverse conditions too, then played some of the processors, something like ruin processor or murkstrider. I love cryptic crouser too, but the u/b deck kind of needs good evasive ingesters to really get there. Mist Intruder is actually quite good, and benthic infiltrator is superb. Also this is definitely an 18-19 land format.
>>
So, I want to build a deck using Newdrazi and the Urza land
What are the best color for that ? RG ? RB ? UG ?
>>
>>43563702
Zada player here.
Fiery Gambit hits WAY less often than you'd expect, but when it does, it's a huge blowout.

I've had it proc three times off of 5 possible targets, and I've had it proc never off of 15. It's all in the luck.
>>
I play GW tokens and lifegain. most of my stuff is from between ravnica and gatecrash. parallel lives is my best friend
>>
>>43565659
other day I slapped together a mono G deck that used land untappers to hit big mana really fuckin fast.

wild growth and utopia spraw, then use creatures like arbor elf and voyaging satyr, and since you're aiming to cast eldrazi specifically, eldrazi temple, and you can hit 6-8+ mana turn 3 or 4 easy
>>
>>43565853
well I apparently skipped over the part where you said urza lands. if you want to do casual urzatron I think modeling it after the RG modern deck is fine
>>
>>43565354
Seriously. This. I've gone to my local game store a bunch after moving across the state, and the people couldn't be more helpful. Sure they'll kick your ass if it's a tournament, but afterwards they'll help you out.

The owner actually noticed my deck was struggling, and he straight up gave me some mythics to bring it's tier level up.
>>
Anyone want to help give me some feedback for my Mardu deck?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-11-15-JyH-mardu-allies/
>>
>>43564706
This is a fine deck but not insane. Lots of quality cards but you arent too deep into any one synergy, making this more of a "good stuff" deck, which is good but not usually the best deck at the table in a bfz draft.

Things that immediately jump out:
-too many cards, you want 18 lands typically and with a couple awakened spells and a grip, I'd say that's right for you.
-roilmages trick is a bad card and there's nothing in your deck that makes it better for you
-wanderer is a really strong card and you lack finishers, so I'm on the fence as to whether you should run it with your minimal fixing. However I'd def remove blighted cataracts if I was running it. You already have card draw and you don't want a colourless land if you are splashing.
-no processors means grave birthling is quite weak in your deck. Plus you have good creatures to drop on 3, so you don't need the turn 3 mana sink.
-don't love adverse conditions. It's an okay card but i don't think it will not over perform in your deck. You have removal already and you arent aggressive.
-nirkana assassin is not good in your deck

Other than the that I like the deck. Good game plan via winning through flyers and or card advantage. Your main weakness looks like getting rushed down (particularly landfall) or getting dunked by a rolling thunder or rising miasma, both of which wreck your deck.
>>
>>43563046
The way mana drop is played is put all of the lands in your opening hand on the field, and draw to 7 again, not do it over and over
>>
Challenge: build a decent deck using only Return to Ravnica block and later as legal sets.

Hard Mode: don't just build CoCo/Zoo.
>>
>>43563135
Force of will has some land fetching. Just search from the land deck and done.
>>
>>43563062
Ral doesn't count for Chance Encounter.
>>
>>43566671
>Challenge: Build an Extended deck
>>
I want to make a skeleton deck, just for the pure hilarity of it. Any ideas how to make my spooky scary skeletons as flavorful as possible?
>>
I havnt played in a while but when i did i played a hydra ramp deck. I was looking at the eldrazi set and the way i want to play is using the low cost eldrazi to spawn tokens to bring out bigger ones to use the exile graveyard thing to bring out more tokens to bring out the biggest eldrazi. Would the best way to do that be to buy a bfz booster box and see what i can do? Im not sure what colors i want but i was thinking green blue and maybe something else if it helped me get out tokens.
>>
File: Despise.jpg (94 KB, 800x425) Image search: [Google]
Despise.jpg
94 KB, 800x425
>>43567097
>buying booster box
This isn't really the way to go. You're gonna just want to buy the singles of what you need/want.

Unless you really just want bulk cards, in which another set would be better. BfZ is pretty low-power. It offers a lot of utility, but not much in terms of raw power as much as origins or Khans
>>
>>43567406
outside of a few specific cards origins is pretty garbage too
>>
>>43562766
>Anyway, what are you guys running currently?
Landfall, that's my only not shit deck so far. Going to building an Ally one soon as I pulled a Gideon yesterday.
>>
still working on it and replacements are due but so far i got

creatures (x17)
Typhoid rats x2
Hand of Silumgar x2
Gurmag Angler x3
Sultai Scavenger x3
Rakshasa Vizier x3
Kheru Spellsnatcher x1
Necromaster Dragon x1
Grim Haruspex x1
Sidisi's Faitful x1

Non-creature (x23)
Taigam's Scheming (x4)
Scout the Borders (x3)
Throttle (x4)
Gravepurge (x3)
Dutiful Return (x1)
Sultai Charm (x2)
Lens of Clarity (x1)
Bitter Revelation (x2)
Negate (x1)
Disdainful Stroke (x1)
Cancel (x1)
Dark Dabbling (x1)

Lands (x20)
Dismal Backwater (x3)
Jungle Hollow (x4)
Swamp (x5)
Island (x4)
Forest (x4)

what can make this deck faster?
>>
>>43567406
Not even if i want to build just an eldrazi themed ramp deck? I mean i kind of have an idea of what i want to do but im not sure what cards i need especialy outside of creature cards.
>>
>>43568220
A booster box is a big investment to build just one deck.
I don't want to kill your enthusiasm, though. I just don't think a booster box is worth it. If you think it is, go for it! You might get lucky with an Expedition. I've gotten a few fatpacks and boxes in my day, and it is a good way to introduce you to cards you may not have thought about.

just look up the values for the rares/mythics you get so you can trade for anything you don't pull.
>>
>>43568078
m8 find a website to post that. read the OP post
>>
>>43566885
I built a skeleton deck. Orginally it was just shitty skeletons but then I got some synergy going. I play Champion of Stray Souls, Reassembling Skeleton, Augur of Skulls, Blood Artist, Zulaport Cutthroat, Bone Splinters, Rot-Farm Skeletin, Tymaret and Grim Haruspex.
>>
If Oblivion Sower is countered, does its land ability still work?
>>
>>43569553
short answer: yes

long answer: the "when you cast" ability is a triggered ability that happens when you place oblivion sower on the stack. because of this, oblivion sower's ability will actually resolve before oblivion sower does, and is in no way attached to whether oblivion sower resolves or not. the only way to stop oblivion sower's ability is one of the rare spells that can counter a triggered ability, such as stifle or voidslime.
>>
>>43569653
damn, oblivion sower is a bitch to deal with in draft then.
>>
I'm going for a mono B mill deck with barriers. The deck mainly consists on doorkeepers, landfall crabs and jace living guildpact (for the 2 primary effects). But I'm having a bit of trouble getting my mana (18 overall) so I can cast dreadwaters and traumatizes. Any tips on spells? Should I really be going for guildpact rather than memory adept or jade beleren?
>>
>>43569847
>draft
I'm actually more scared of things like Ruin Processor than Sower. That 5 power really doesn't cut it. It's not big enough of a threat yet it's big enough to get Smited.
>>
>>43569977
18 lands is far too few for a normal 60 card deck. the lowest I ever run is 20 and those decks can literally play every single card in the list for 2 mana or less. if you're gonna try to drop 5cmc bombs and such you need to be running 22 minimum, 23 or 24 would probably be better.

next, mill isn't a very strong game plan. it never has been. but if you insist on it, I suggest running an instant combo finisher like duskmantle guildmage + mindcrank.
>>
>>43569996
>tfw they draft 2 dutiful returns
>>
>>43570186
>play Mortuary Mire, put whatever eldrazi they just Smited on top of library
>>
>>43570182
I really like mill, but I'm new to magic (got my hands on 2k cards from a relative) and I'm madly in love with mono blues, so, any suggestions apart from mill?
>>
>>43570182
Thanks a lot, I'm quite new to magic (got my hands in 2k cards from a now married relative) and madly in love with mono blue. Any tips on other decks I can make for casual play apart from mill?
>>
>>43570322
>>43570340
>>43570182
Sorry, thought it didn't upload right because of poor internet
>>
>>43569175
>>43566885
The new Skeleton Dragon gives skeleton decks an amazing finisher now.
>>
>>43570322
>>43570340
without knowing your card pool it's hard to say, but monoblue traditionally plays a slow and passive game with counterspells. I'm not much of a blue mage myself. the last time I played a deck that was mostly blue was a favorable winds deck (enchantment that gives all flying creatures +1/+1) with all flying creatures
>>
>>43570517
I'm unable to get my deck right now, but it's pretty much like you said, counter spells and barriers to keep me alive (plus jace's sanctum to speed things up a bit), aligned with rpcreatures and artifacts that tap in order to mill with my spells, I'm usually able to win in 11 to 12 turns. I remember seeing some flying creatures back in the card stash, I'll take a better look at it later and comment in the thread, but thanks for all your advice anon. Also any tips on red and black minotaur decks? It is the only other deck that really grasped my attention.
>>
>>43570404
>Skeleton Dragon?
>>
File: scourgeofneltoth.jpg (42 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
scourgeofneltoth.jpg
42 KB, 265x370
>>43570734
Ah wait, fuck. It's a zombie dragon.

Skithiryx is still the only skeleton dragon...
>>
>>43570715
R/B minotaurs is literally don't even bother tier worse than mill.

during theros they had a smalll handful of minotaur cards that worked well with other minotaurs, but none of them have particularly impressive effects. it was mainly meant for limited & draft play, which is where people make decks on the spot out of what they open from booster packs.
>>
>>43570825
>not playing the combo minotaur deck

You play 4x Ragemonger and 4x Heartless Summoning.

This lets you drop a Kragma Warcaller and dump your entire hand of hasty minotaurs into play.

>Drop Heartless Summoning
>play ragemonger
>Kragma Warcaller now costs 1 colorless
>drop 0 mana Taurean Mauler, Ragemongers, Minotaur Skullcleaver and Deathbellow Raiders
>swing for stupid amounts of hasty damage

You also have cards like Fanatic of Mogis that now costs 1, Rageblood Shaman which costs R and Changeling Berserker which costs 1.

T3 kills is entirely possible.
>>
File: 1327890486021.jpg (132 KB, 1205x721) Image search: [Google]
1327890486021.jpg
132 KB, 1205x721
>friends are all new players
>they all hate on anything from before M15
I keep it to Modern borders because it keeps bitching to a minimum, but God forbid you put a Gratuitous Violence or a fucking Phelddagrif in your deck
>>
>>43571041
I never understood this.

How can you not look back and see how awesome old cards are?

When I started playing, old border cards were the shit.
>>
>>43571065
They think they're overpowered and that they'll get blown out if I use them
>>
>>43571041
my group has a modern legal cards only rule. disappointing when I first started playing with them because my favorite deck was reanimator and all of the good cards weren't modern legal. but I adapted so it's k
>>
File: Swords to Plowshares.jpg (168 KB, 864x660) Image search: [Google]
Swords to Plowshares.jpg
168 KB, 864x660
>>43571041
show them the Light
>>
>>43571100
It's just a pain, because old doesn't equate to good. I've shown them Wood Elemental
>>
>>43571159
I've found that the blaming old cards for being too strong is just an excuse for them being baddies. I basically made a deck that focuses on using gifts ungiven to pick 3 fatties and unburial rites so I can reanimate a fat ass no matter what, and despite taking 5+ turns to do anything they still bitch and complain whenever elesh norn + grave titan happens
>>
>>43570825
Is there anything that resembles any of the decks then? I liked the idea of haste and death touch for all with really low hp and mana cost
Also mono blue
>>
>>43571041
I think they're ugly as sin.
Then again, the new CGI art is nearly vomit-inducing. My favorite art and borders come from Lorwyn, Mirrodin, and even Theros believe it or not.
>>
>>43570973
that actually sounds kind of fun
>>
Ok I have a rules question. This happened to me and I am just wanting to see if this is how instants work during combat.

So I declare an attack with 1 creature (a 5/5 in this case)
My opponent declares no blockers because it's only 5 damage.
I then drop a titan's strength, 2 Swell of Growths (plus 2 evolving wilds and sac them both instantly cos landfall) and hit for 20 damage.

Is that right? Am I still allowed to drop pump-spells (instants of course) after they've declared no blockers?
>>
>>43571591
yes, that's exactly how it works. "Does he have a pump spell?" is one of the factors a player has to consider when it comes to declaring blockers.
>>
>>43571591
Yep. They can also respond in kind with their own instants.
>>
>>43571591
think of it this way, if he DID block, you could cast spells to pump your dude up and kill his blocker. likewise if he had a pump spell he could pump a small blocker up to kill a big attacker. being able to cast instants after blockers have been declared is a pretty integral part of of combat in this game. On a very related note, you can also activate ability at instant speed the same way. like with a card like nantuko husk, you could sacrifice a bunch of creatures to hit to hit for big damage after your opponent decides not to block. combat can be a real mind game for your opponent if you decide to make it one.
>>
>>43571638
>>43571640

Ok, I guess that is fair enough. Thanks.
>>
>>43571711
Yeah that does make sense. I knew that you could pump blockers and things being blocked, just didn't know if it was different if they didn't block at all.

I suppose it's like that to be wary of people with open mana throwing little creatures at them.
>>
Ok another question, sorry.

If my opponent uses Gideon, Ally's +1 ability (becomes 5/5 bloke) and has that "prevent damage done to him during this turn" effect. Then attacks me with Gideon.

Can I, use Turn to Frog on Gideon, and block him with my 1/1 thingo to kill him? I get that the Frog overrides the "indestructible" but does it override the "prevent all damage done to him" effect?

tl:dr Can I kill Gideon if I turn him into a Frog?
>>
>>43571886
The damage prevention is an effect that expires at the end of turn. It is not an ability. He lives.
>>
>>43571886
Yep. it loses all abilities. It retains its type though, I think?

Same thing works if you make him sacrifice it. Sacrifice isn't effected by indestructible.
>>
>>43571957
Ignore me
>>43571943
I think he's got it
>>
>>43571957
The damage prevention isn't an ability, it's an effect with a duration.
>>
I might be a retard for asking this but:

My opponent controls a phyrexian crusader
I cast skullcrack on my opponent
I bolt his phyrexian crusader
Does skullcrack override crusaders protection?
>>
>>43571979
But he'd lose indestructible, right?
>>
>>43571988
It would override the damage prevention, but you couldn't have targeted it in the first place.

Damage
Enchanting/Equiping
Blocking
Targeting

Protection prevents DEBT.
>>
>>43572006
He would lose indestructible, so you could use "destroy" effects on him. But the damage prevention wouldn't go away, because it was effect being applied, rather than a characteristic defining ability.
>>
>>43571988
you couldn't bolt phyrexian crusader because it still can't be targeted by red spells, but if you used something like pyroclasm that does damage to all creatures without targeting then crusader would die because the damage couldn't be prevented by protection.
>>
>>43572011
Ahh I see so a pyroclasm would work in this case?
Also how are you supposed to kill true name nemesis? Just try to win before it kills you?
>>
>>43572052
well, skullcrack + pyroclasm could also kill TNN. you could also use a sacrifice effect like geth's verdict or chainer's edict to make them sacrifice it but that only works if TNN is the only creature they have in play. TNN is generally a bitch to deal with.
>>
File: ProVintageRemoval.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
ProVintageRemoval.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
>>43572052
Pyroclasm works fine. As for TNN, pic related.
>>
>>43572067
>>43572076
Thanka guys !
>>
File: tokens.png (1 MB, 1564x680) Image search: [Google]
tokens.png
1 MB, 1564x680
What are the advantages to making tokens instead of playing higher power creatures with abilities?
>>
>>43572208

Tokens can be used for chump blocking, sacrifice targets or cheap enchant/equip target, Convoke and numerous other costs and abilities. Typically you want to make regular creatures over tokens, but some decks want tokens.
>>
>>43572208
Abilities that trigger when a creature enters (or leaves) the battlefield, spells or abilities that buff your entire team, having multiple creatures makes it easier to get around enemy blockers when attacking, a strategy referred to as "going wide."
>>
>>43572208
Nothing, obviously discounting specific effects like Intangible Virtue or whatever. Typically the cards that make tokens are more efficient at putting meat on the field compared to just playing a doofus from your hand (e.g., they are repeatable, they split into multiple dudes like Dragon Fodder, they are linked to other effects that are frequently instant speed). This is where /tg/ needs to flex those non-existent card quality appraisal abilities!
>>
File: 104.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
104.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
>>43571338

While /tg/ takes a huge dump on the Theroes block, I found quite a few cards that had neat flavor and enjoyable art.
>>
Armed and Dangerous is a good starting product to pick up right? Seen some good reviews and I like the themes of the decks too.
>>
am i mean for playing krenko in a casual group
and i mean really casual like these people have never gone to a single event and just have a bunch of random cards
>>
>>43572667
if you are playing goblin tribal maybe it will give them a reason to put together a tribal deck themselves
>>
>>43572667
No, but you're definitely a chump for not taking the time to teach them to git gud.
>>
>>43572683
they tried
(its rats)
>>
>>43572631
don't.
buy 2 ultimate sacrifice instead. The cards in that event deck worth more
>>
>>43572723
But anon those cards look really spooky
>>
>>43572596
One of literally two original ideas for the block.
>>
>>43572596
Personally; I liked the Theroes block, it really did help with my blue black mill deck.
>>
I just pulled an Undergrowth Champion from one of those Gift Boxes. Can someone help explain how its ability resolves? Supposing if a creature blocks it, and the Champion has a single +1 token on it, does the Champion deal damage to the blocking creature before or after the token is removed from it? And what about deathtouch? Do creatures with deathtouch still destroy it or is that prevented by the Champion's ability as well?
>>
lol kitchen table
you guys realize your all an shit right?
>>
>>43572596
theros had amazing flavor and art
the only thing not to like was how none of the mechanics or individual cards were competitive

but only faggot spikes care about that
>>
>>43573180
I'm sorry, can't hear you over the sound of you grinding standard like a chungus.
>>
>>43573165
It deals its damage while it is still bigger. Deathtouch makes any damage it deals enough to kill any creatures, Undergrowth Champion prevents the damage so deathtouch will not kill it while has counters on it.
>>
>>43573268
wrong, correct, correct
>>
>>43573341
>wrong
damage is dealt simultaneously. The Champ will deal damage when it's still having the +1/+1 counter.
>>
>>43573390
oh, never mind
>>
>>43565593
arcbound ravager + omniscience + spine of ish sah
>>
>>43573180
>being a faggot Spike
>not drinking beer and having fun with your friends
>>
Sorry guys, feel stupid for asking this but with this cards ability, who does it target? Its very vague in my opinion. Who is 'That player'?
>>
>>43574443
>Each opponent
That player is opponent 1 then opponent 2, and so on
>>
>>43574443
The creature in the graveyard.

Target only involves the word target.
>>
>>43574484
>>43574482
Fuck me thanks guys, its so obvious when pointed out. Don't understand how I missed that
>>
File: impact goblins.png (142 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
impact goblins.png
142 KB, 223x311
>>43572208
red white goblin combo
think about it bro
>>
>>43574656
I made my own brew revolving around this before the latest standard rotation. Shit was cash, thinking about making it again just because it was so much fun and under the radar. First FNM I went to esper dragons was the big thing and I faced it every round. One every round except the last one and he was the one dude with virulent plague.
>>
>>43575005
Decks that roll that low to the ground are super fun. I have one right now that is too fast for a lot of decks at my LGS to keep up with
>>
Been playing a bunch with my friend on cockatrice recently, looking for new stuff to throw at them. No format restrictions, they love using fast artifact mana so I was thinking some sort of Ancient grudge.dec. Currently I play a pretty fun Spiteful Visions turbo-pain deck, but they immediately recognize it when I play it and try to kill me asap.
>>
I have a precon commander deck I sort of have an idea what I'm doing with but other that I don't know shit about mtg

I want to make a standard deck to help me get familiar with everything so wheres a good place to begin?
>>
>>43575005
>>43575606
>>43572294
If I "go wide" how do I avoid board wipes? Do I just mass even more?
>>
>>43573268
thanks senpai
>>
>>43576335
Overwhelm with little guys. 1 and 2-drops are hugely important. Dropping a turn 1 Zurgo into turn 2 Call of the Full Moon has put me far enough ahead where I've won more than a few games
>>
>>43576086
Torpor orb into phyrexian dreadnought and eater of days
>>
>>43576325
You can pick up the BFZ event deck, it's a pretty good base to start with for $25
>>
File: Untitled.png (44 KB, 1012x263) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
44 KB, 1012x263
Thoughts on my modern-legal color matters deck?
>>
>>43576632
sweet thanks
>>
>>43576638
How about a link so we can read the cards, skippy?
>>
>>43572052

It's still incredibly fucked up that even though protection is primarily a white ability, the best protection creature in the game is blue.
>>
>>43576702
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-11-15-5c-aggro/
>>
Here's my first! http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nissas-elfshriek/

I've been lucky in opening ORI and BFZ packs lately and made this semi-budget elf deck. I'm thinking of splashing either blue or white though and adding Beastcaller Savant.

Inputs are appreciated!
>>
If I have Retreat to Emeria and Retreat to Kazandu down and I play a land, can I make a token from Emeria then put a counter on it from Kazandu?
>>
>>43576937
Yep, you control both triggers so you can stack them how you want.
>>
>>43576937
no. both triggers go on the stack at the same time, at which point you must choose any relevant targets. because the token doesn't exist until the ability resolves, it is not a valid target.
>>
File: red_white.png (1 MB, 677x942) Image search: [Google]
red_white.png
1 MB, 677x942
>>43575005
think 4 of each card, 2 appropriate lands for every 3 cards of color.
Much fun many tokens
>>
>>43576965
>no Legion Loyalist
>no Obelisk of Urd to boost the shit out of your Soldiers and Goblins

0/10 shit deck
just kidding it looks fun
>>
>>43576952
>>43576956
Who's right?
>>
>>43577020
If you control 2 triggers you chose how to put them onto the stack.
>>
>>43577020
both explanations are right but as >>43576956 points out, the order you put them on the stack doesn't matter. you need a creature to target when the kazandu ability goes on the stack, not just when it resolves.
>>
File: add these.png (592 KB, 671x630) Image search: [Google]
add these.png
592 KB, 671x630
>>43576735
>so many colors
like wow...
why not add pix related with the gates
>>
>>43577011
You Just Improved My Swag MoFo
thnkz

(getting four of that last row was pretty $$$wagilicious)
>>
File: 105624.jpg (24 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
105624.jpg
24 KB, 200x285
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-11-15-5c-aggro/
>>
>>43577059
because I'm playing a pretty aggressive game and I need to stay on curve instead of a turn behind. Quicksilver is useless even if I did play Progenitus because I'll have all my colors anyways. Door is....
>>
File: best one mana.jpg (168 KB, 1110x320) Image search: [Google]
best one mana.jpg
168 KB, 1110x320
>>43577102
+
>>43577059
+
is there any kind of enchantment or intstant that makes multicolor creatures unblockable?

cause i always wanted to make a rainbow deck
>>
>>43577114
because I'm playing a pretty aggressive game and I need to stay on curve instead of a turn behind.
>yeah gates kinda fuck that

Quicksilver is useless even if I did play Progenitus because I'll have all my colors anyways.
>not always a sure bet, also it saves you mana

Door is....
>last resort bro, always have a few ways to win
>>
How do I build for 60-card multiplayer? My friends much prefer to play that over 1v1, and most of my 60-card decks are meant for 1v1. I either wreck one person and burn out or get hosed and end up doing nothing
>>
>>43577218
see
>>43576965
that 3 x 3 is actually a 4 x 3 x 3 (the fourth row being the 4th card of the previous cards)

and hence each pile gets 2 mana.

now your first row is your hopeful first rounds
your middle row is hopefully defence
your last row should be combo or game finisher
>>
>>43577218
We used to do 60 card multiplayer a lot. Monoblack control is king there m8. Just reanimate Gary and kokusho and reap the salty tears. Bubbling muck into a fat ass exsanguinating when you have 10 lands down is a ballbuster too.
>>
>>43577218
1) effects that hit multiple opponents/creatures. something as simple as swapping diabilic edict for innocent blood can make your deck impact a multiplayer game much better
2) go big. some people will tell you that you can't play aggro in multiplayer. these people are liars, but it will look much different from a standard aggro deck. normally a deck has to take down a single opponent, but in multiplayer, every single resource you have needs to go N times farther before it stops being a losing proposition for you. a 1-1 trade puts every player who difn't lose a card one ahead of you. this ties into the above point but also means that you need to milk your cards for all they're worth. equipments and lords be ome necessary rather than potentially win-more, and you csn stsnd a bigger curve and beefier bodies even if your goal is to be fast.
3) atrition. speaking of milking resources, you need to be able to go the distance. recursion, token generators, any kind of repeatable ability that can happen more than once a turn is a resource you haven't just expended as soon as you see its use. tap abilities are useful too, but remember, without additional help there are N turns between uses, not just one.
>>
>>43576335
Depends on the particular colors you're running, but enchantments and noncreature artifacts that produce tokens are good ways of maintaining board presence through a wrath.
>>
>>43577040
The order of the triggers doesn't matter. Targets need to be picked when a trigger goes on the stack. The token doesn't exist when the Kazandu trigger goes on the stack.
>>
If i attack with breaker of armies and i get blocked by multiple guys would i only kill 1 per turn?
>>
File: 1327688459872.jpg (65 KB, 250x268) Image search: [Google]
1327688459872.jpg
65 KB, 250x268
>played 2HG with friends this weekend, they had fun
>friend got the ridiculous idea to play "two-headed dragon"
>it's basically 2HG, but 1 person playing two decks at once
>on a 4-player table

I came close to leaving. Very close. But we all played, and he actually got slapped in the face once it was done (read: when almost everyone scooped) because board states were absolutely fucking impossible to keep track of.
>>
>>43578427
Unless they've changes it since I learned an attacker can assign damage beyond the first blocker even if he doesn't have trample
>>
>>43578427
you kill up to 10 toughness worth of them.

go read the combat section of that intro pamphlet again.
>>
>>43578532
They can. You need to deal lethal damage to Blocker 1 before you can move to Blocker 2, and so on. Which is why giving Breaker deathtouch or double strike is fucking bonkers
>>
>>43578482
This sounds like hell, holy shit
>>
>>43578482
I think every kitchen table group goes through that situation - just once. Its not a mistake you make twice.
>>
>>43580979
Well I guess it's encouraging that my friend isn't the only bonehead who's done this

It lasted longer than our Commander game
>>
File: 378411.full.jpg (45 KB, 200x278) Image search: [Google]
378411.full.jpg
45 KB, 200x278
If I use Fated Infatuation to copy Sheoldred, Whispering One, does that mean the effect is doubled?
So do I get to return two creatures from the graveyard to battlefield each turn? Each opponent has to sacrifice two creatures during their upkeep?
That can't be right. Surely they don't stack or that would be OP.
>>
>>43563046

Yes, that is as dumb as it sounds. It doesn't really fix any of the actual issues with lands, it just exaggerates the situations where they arise by giving some players huge tempo boosts for no reason while others are struggling to drop a bear. I like the spirit but this has to be the worst "mana fix" format idea I've ever heard.
>>
>>43581420
>Legendary
Nope
>>
File: Image.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
>>43581472
>>
>>43581472
Huh?
>>
>>43581558
'Under the new rules, any time two or more legendary permanents with the same name are controlled by a player, that player chooses one of them and the rest are put into their owners' graveyards as a state-based action.'
>>
>>43581558
You cant have two permanents out with the exact same name if they are legendary, and Sheoldred is a Legendary creature, so making an exact copy of her means there are two of her, so once the new one hits the board, you have to decide then and there which one u keep and which one goes to the graveyard.
>>
>>43581550
This is the "casual/kitchen" table thread, not the "lolsocute EDH shitter" thread.
>>
>>43581420
>>43581636
Also to add, even if u managed to do it cause of this >>43581550, that's not as OP as u think it is. There are a lot of things much more OP than that in magic, thats just barely scratching the surface, this is a common misconception from newer players, like how some find it OP a creature can tap itself to use an ability after it swings due to vigilance, or the interaction of death touch and trample.
>>
>>43581649
That's a fun card to piss of your friends,
>>
File: 1346092884761.jpg (62 KB, 450x557) Image search: [Google]
1346092884761.jpg
62 KB, 450x557
>>43581626
>>43581636
>>43581670

Ahhh! Thank you guys.

So this would work on Agent of Erebos then, right? Meaning when the copy enters I can exile another graveyard.
>>
>>43581717
You would get to exile two graveyards, for that matter, because the copy enters and the original sees the copy entering.
>>
>>43581742
Even better, thanks again!
>>
>>43581550
Well, yeah, but if that's not out than it won't work
>>
File: green stomp.jpg (282 KB, 669x931) Image search: [Google]
green stomp.jpg
282 KB, 669x931
rate this flim flam my mans
>>
>>43581861
8/10
Don't know how many of each but I love all those cards and run them myself.
>>
>>43562802
This
No one understood how it worked, or expected me to win on my upkeep turn 4
Only downside is that im not allowed to play that deck anymore
>>
>>43581861
No Woodland Bellower?
>>
File: zombie.png (2 MB, 1282x971) Image search: [Google]
zombie.png
2 MB, 1282x971
This is what I usually take to my casual playgroup.
>>
>>43581861
Just build modern Mono-G Stompy and add Kavu Predator and Invigorate
You will have a much faster deck that will cost only slightly more
>>
Any Samurai EDH deck or does the lack of Multi-color Samurai completely ruin the concept?
>>
File: useTheLandStomp.png (1 MB, 671x931) Image search: [Google]
useTheLandStomp.png
1 MB, 671x931
>>43581861
all that land grab
you can scale a few things
>>
>>43582068
what site is this to make this spread?
>>
>>43582068
You need more gravepact
also more sac outlets like viscera seer, phyrexian tower, ashnod's altar, Infernal Tribute
Volrath's Stronghold and Cabal Coffers and exsanguinate
Finally, Rats do this deck type but better
>>
File: drain life.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
drain life.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>43582193
>exsanguinate
underrated black card late game with all that mana lying around
>>
>>43582169
Tapped out, spoiler view
>>
On my phone so I can't really make a fancy picture but my monogreen Stimpy list is
4x elvish mystic
4x llanowar elves
4x arbor elf
4x nature's lore
4x vines of vastwood
3x overrun
3x primeval titan
2x harmonize
2x naturalized
2x mistcutter hydra
1x polukranos
1x surrak, hunt caller
1x wurmcoil engine
1x wolf briar elemental
1x community with nature
1x kessig wolf run
1x temple of abandon
21x forest
>>
>>43582221
The real question is what else is there to dump mana into late game?
Spine of Ish Sah and Scour From Existence are pretty good for mono black
Eldrazi/Blightsteel/Hangarback/Elbrus
Griselbrand and Rune-Scarred Demon do work
Exsanguinate is still probably the best mana dump for multi player mono black tho
>>
File: 1347114414337.jpg (76 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1347114414337.jpg
76 KB, 400x300
>>43582358
>monogreen Stimpy list
>>
>>43582157
>>43582358
there is this damn green bush predator mouth looking thingy that gets +1/+1 for each land or landfall or something of the such ...
wtf is it that i am thinkin
>>
>>43582458
Undergrowth champion? Idk m8
>>
>>43582458
Timbermaw larva.
>>
>>43582505
>Timbermaw larva
>>43582505
>>43582505
>>43582505
THIS ONE !!!!!
>>
File: Tidings.full_.jpg (199 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Tidings.full_.jpg
199 KB, 480x680
Do you guys every buy cards just because they look cool?
>>
>>43569977
I suggest running black, as well. The breaking side of the fuse card breaking/entering, and glimpse the unthinkable help. Also, I run 4 surgical extraction, and 4 extirpate so that if I mill something scary, I can make sure it won't hit the board. Also, instead of new Jace, try memory adept as a curve topper. Mill isn't good, but UB is much better than mono U.
>>
>>43582677
I'm starting a collection of promo cards for that reason. 99% of them wont see play in any of my decks.
>>
File: LOOKSNICE.png (287 KB, 450x312) Image search: [Google]
LOOKSNICE.png
287 KB, 450x312
>>43582677
ABSOLUTELY.
old whites and hymn to tournach for sure
>>
>>43582068
>not running the glorious Darksteel Ingot/Phylactery Lich combo
>>
File: thisGreenStomps.png (1 MB, 671x931) Image search: [Google]
thisGreenStomps.png
1 MB, 671x931
>>43582157
hope your not playing againts green
>>
File: grixis engine.jpg (197 KB, 669x620) Image search: [Google]
grixis engine.jpg
197 KB, 669x620
>>43581919
Cool. Yeah, I've got some other mana dorks and a couple hate things like stingerfling spider and dismember.

>>43582026
I actually haven't gotten new cards in ages. Woodland Bellower would be a different deck though. I'd totally want to use that with leatherback baloth (and, I guess, reclamation sage).

>>43582135

Yeah, the deck ain't the best. I just liked the incidental lifegain theme cuz I'm a sucker for that sorta thing.

>>43582157
I'd actually been thinking about including some X spells or other things that could make use of the insane ramp that can happen in slower games. Like Hydra Broodmaster or Polukranos.
>>
>>43577173
>best one mana blue isn't ancestral recall
>best one drop black isn't thoughtseize
>best one drop white isn't swords to plowshare
Come the fuck on, nigga.
>>
File: fully erect.jpg (81 KB, 610x813) Image search: [Google]
fully erect.jpg
81 KB, 610x813
>>43582741
>rebeca guay
>>
Anyone have an comments or suggestions for my edh deck?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-07-15-eternal-bargain-pervesion/
>>
Kitchen table a best. Casual and as high or low power as you want. My favorite.
>>
File: doubtless-one[1].jpg (63 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
doubtless-one[1].jpg
63 KB, 480x680
Who /tribal/ here?
>>
File: mono black.jpg (295 KB, 669x933) Image search: [Google]
mono black.jpg
295 KB, 669x933
>>43582985
I fucking love synergy. This deck has so many fun interactions.
>>
File: Consider the following.jpg (54 KB, 640x482) Image search: [Google]
Consider the following.jpg
54 KB, 640x482
>>43582872
>no Necropotence
>>
File: Cowards.jpg (60 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Cowards.jpg
60 KB, 312x445
>>43582985
I fucking love tribal, its suck a fun deck to make and play. Here's one of mine:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-red-giant-deck/
>>
>>43582872
artsy as fux

i always wanted to play a table game where everybody was restricted to only one of each card besides land in their decks.
>>
File: hot.gif (474 KB, 188x174) Image search: [Google]
hot.gif
474 KB, 188x174
>>43583551
>that fucking card
>>
>>43582852
fight me
post yur shiat bruh
>>
File: Sheltered Aerie.png (142 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Sheltered Aerie.png
142 KB, 223x311
I if play Sheltered Aerie on a forest, does the forest now produce 3 mana all toghether? (2 of whatever color from the Aerie and one G from the forest)

I have a feeling that the G from the forest is now replaced with whatever two colors i choose, but i like to be on the safe side.
>>
>>43583817
No. If it did, it would say "Whenever you tap enchanted forest, add 2 many of any one color in addition to the mana the land produced"

Sheltered Aerie is giving it a separate tap ability.
>>
>>43583845
enchanted land*
>>
>>43565710
If you're doing it like that you haven't flipped enough coins. You can reasonably choose which side goes up by which face is 'up' on your thumb and how much force you put into it.
>>
>>43583817
What you're looking for is Overgrowth if playing mono green. Maybe Market Festival if multiple colors.
>>
>>43570775
Hmm. This can come out turn three. Wish it had protection.
>>
>>43582365
I have a deck based on gross inefficiency, it runs sylvan scrying, reap and sow and tempt with discovery to get out urborg coffers, then spend insane mana on effects that cost too much. the most efficient card in the deck is probably oona, followed by geth. after that it goes steeply downhill into nezumi graverobber (nighteyes), and dark imposter.
>>
>>43578482
Wait, you mean EACH player playing two decks at once? One player doing that doesn't seem so bad.

Also, one of my friends consistently calls 2HG Two-Headed Dragon. I don't know why.
Shouldn't Two-Headed Dragon be EDH, but 2HG style? Oh god.
>>
>>43584693
Yes, every player had 2 decks. It was a 5-player game, so 10 decks on the table
>>
>>43582676
It's a scary card in monogreen!
>>
>>43576638
I had a similar idea a couple days ago, ended up just making it Naya colors, abusing the Knight and Gloryscale Viashino with the Blades. Looking forward to testing it.
>>
File: win-nower.jpg (25 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
win-nower.jpg
25 KB, 200x285
>>43583070
Hell yes. I'm running a similar list in Standard right now. Tokens kind of slaughter it though (1 toughness, plus Fleshbag is trivial). Any idea how to improve evasion?

Also: Pic related.
>>
File: he can't even block warriors.jpg (28 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
he can't even block warriors.jpg
28 KB, 200x285
>>43583551
> 2015
> Norin the Wary hasn't been errata'd to a Coward
>>
>>43584886
Can he even get hit with removal?
>>
>>43584857
I don't know about Standard, but for the deck as a generically good aggressive two drop I've been using Nezumi Cutthroat
>>
>>43584926
Nope! He can't attack effectively either, since he'll evaporate as soon as you declare attackers. He's a weird dude.

>>43584931
Mogis's Marauder did some good work for me before Theros rotated out. It's tough to grant evasion to random duderinos.
>>
>>43585008
He sounds like he'd make an interesting commander. Lots of abusing ETB effects
>>
>>43585020
If you get purphuros out, with either as your commander, he's fucking disgusting.
>>
>>43584886
Somebody want to explain to me any way this guy should take up a deck slot? He seems like the most useless card
>>
>>43585103
silly combos abusing "enters the battlefield" effects. norin chaos is a very intimidating deck in commander because it's such a pain in the ass to play against.
>>
>>43583845
>>43583888

Ok, Thank you.

Also, if i have Utopia Sprawl on a Temple Garden and my opponent plays a Blood Moon, would the Utopia Sprawl fall off?
>>
File: 51duE3ithkL._SY300_[1].jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
51duE3ithkL._SY300_[1].jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>43585103
There are many reasons.
>>
>>43585182
Nope. It will only fall off if it's somehow given protection from green/enchantments/colors or removed from the battlefield.
>>
File: Hurr1.jpg (31 KB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
Hurr1.jpg
31 KB, 848x480
>>43585201
>>43585182
Scratch that. It seems like it does fall off since auras constantly check what they are attached to. That will teach me to answer a question that could be easily googled.
>>
File: 1397765147210.jpg (97 KB, 540x359) Image search: [Google]
1397765147210.jpg
97 KB, 540x359
>>43585225

Thank you.
>>
>>43582677
Yes, and my wallet has suffered for it deeply. Especially the day I saw Tarmogoyf, he's just such a cool looking monster, I had to have him. I feel like a faggot for owning him though so I never run a deck with him in it. Maybe when I get into Modern, but not while playing Casual.
>>
I'm building a WRG Ally deck for Standard. Currently I'm using Zada with some buffs but I'm starting to feel I should cut him with some of the buffs in favor of a few more Rally buffs and board control.

While I managed to have a hilarious dunk by casting Become Immense and Temur Battle Rage on him during an all-in attack, most of the time the setup of having him, a ready to attack squad and a buff spell or two just doesn't seem to happen enough.
>>
File: 1446230814568.gif (71 KB, 245x269) Image search: [Google]
1446230814568.gif
71 KB, 245x269
>>43567406

I love the people that buy booster boxes, citing how much certain cards are worth and that'll pay off the cost of the Booster Box...

You'll see those cards in their binders for years.
>>
So I have a stupid thing I want to do. I want to get out paradox haze and copy enchantment for 3 upkeeps per turn, then I want to prototype portal several timesifters and just completely ruin the order of turns. How annoying do you imagine this would get?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 61

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.