[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ 5e General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: Summoner.jpg (122 KB, 500x953) Image search: [Google]
Summoner.jpg
122 KB, 500x953
>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, misc homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>SCAG Map:https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's UA (which should be in the Mega link above, but for those who just want it alone)
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

Summoner when?
>>
>>43560165
>Summoner when?

Personally, I hope never. Most of the time they are either OP as fuck, drag on combat as they look up those rules, or both.
>>
What's the consensus on bladesinger? Good, bad, or alright?
>>
>>43560165
This isn't Pathfinder
>>43560423
Good. Probably below Diviner/Abjurer but above the rest
>>
>>43560423
It's pretty good, but I see most people gunning for just the new melee cantrips.
>>
>>43560316
I'd hope that a 5e summoner would be more streamlined and balanced. Obviously it wouldn't be perfectly balanced but it would probably be a lot better than in Pathfinder.
>>
>>43560165
Old thread isn't even dead yet.

>Summoner when?
Fuck off, pathfag.
>>
>>43560165
Other thread is in autosage, so BUMP.
>>
>Summoner

We call it a Conjuration Wizard. Given that they can't and won't fucking balance the Beastmaster I wouldn't get your hopes up pathfag.
>>
>>43560165

Considering the beastmaster wasn't very good, I don't think a summoner would be much use in 5e's format.

Something like the synthesist where you build beast armor for yourself might be neat, though.

(Honestly, summon spam just bogs down combat with too many minions to make one guy's turn way longer than everyone else's. You're better off with the concepts of the stand user or summoning an extradimensional power-suit.)
>>
>>43563514

>stands
>extradimensional powers it's

I'd really rather be playing that than yet another goddamn barbarian, to be honest.
>>
>>43560165
If they were going to put in a bad and dumb class/archetype

I'd rather have a thief acrobat
>>
Guys I need advice. I'm joining my first 5e group on Wednesday and the DM is running the Starter Set adventure.
I think he's using premade characters for the noobs but I have permission to roll my own guy since I have everything from the Megalink saved on my tablet for quick reference.
Any advice on what I should roll? I'd look over the adventure book and build something based off that but I don't wanna be a spoiler-shitter.
>>
>>43564236
Make a Light pact Warlock with GFB.
>>
>>43564236
Half-Orc barbarian, go into bear totem.
>>
>>43564236
just pick something you think is cool
>>
>>43564236
Make a Bard. Be awesome. Make the newbs feel awesome.
>>
File: rise.gif (83 KB, 413x392) Image search: [Google]
rise.gif
83 KB, 413x392
>>43564326
yeah, this.
>>
>>43564320
So far I'm liking all the suggestions, I just don't wanna go into the game as a full wuxia-style monk or something when the flavor is more sword and sorcery.
>>
>>43564326
>>43564348
I've decided I'm gonna bring a couple different PCs and I'll let the DM help me decide, but yeah one of them will be a definitely be a bard.
>>
Are Mage spells once a day like in 3.5?
>>
>>43564354
who the fuck cares.

Just play him more as a brawler. hit shit.
>>
>>43564457
Spellcasters (except warlocks) have to finish a long rest to replenish their spells, which is typically 8 hours long and can't be done more than once every 24 hours.
>>
>>43564457
For wizards, you prepare a number of spells from your spellbook at the start of the day, and through out the day, you can cast any spell you have prepared by spending a slot of the appropriate level. Wizards, like most casters, only regain their slots after a long rest, but do have a feature that lets them regain a small number of lower level slots a single time in a day after a short rest. So it's similar, but not exactly the same.
>>
>>43564462
Speaking of brawlers, anyone wanna take a crack at nerfing this?
Some anon posted it last week, it looks cool but its literally "why go monk" when it comes to unarmed damage
>>
I wanted to ask a question but I can't remember what it was.
>>
>>43564792
well
>>
>>43564792
Read the PHB.
>>
File: map1 tomb raider.png (239 KB, 832x768) Image search: [Google]
map1 tomb raider.png
239 KB, 832x768
http://deepnight.net/tools/tabletop-rpg-map-editor/

this is a little map editor quite minimalist, but quite nice too. Feel to use!
>>
>>43564792
No, you can't.
>>
>Play Warlock
>Describe patron to DM
>Basically describe Trazyn the Infinite

Did I screw myself over?
>>
>>43564561
Could be worse. Basically, the main problem is that it can attack as many times as a monk in a turn with the same damage dice, while maintaining the same advantages of the barbarian. Offhand:

>Change Assault and Battery such that it can only be used if the Reckless Attack hits; give Disadvantage on the bonus actions; and/or inflict a static AC penalty, for somehow committing even more fully to attacking than something called fucking Reckless Attack.

>Similarly, change Savage Fury such that temp hit points are only gained on a hit during a rage.

Also, it's probably just me, but I'd like to see more non-combat features in there. Admittedly, barbarians in general don't really have much of them, but even a 'Your Strength modifier is treated as an additional 2 times higher for the purposes of checks involving breaking or lifting objects' would be a nice change of pace from PUNCH AND GRAPPLE, PUNCH AND GRAPPLE.
>>
>>43560748
They already exist, they're a wizard spec. Summoner as a full class is PF Bullshit.
>>
>>43564430
Bard and Paladin have a really easy time being party MVP because of all the shit they can do to make literally everyone around them better.
>>
>>43564561
This is just what popped into my head when I read it. Not sure how much/little any of this would affect it in terms of balance.
>Ferocious Blows
Keep the unarmed strike die two steps behind the monk: 1d4 at level 3, 1d6 at level 7, 1d8 at level 13, 1d10 at level 19.
Take out the resistance bypass.
>Assault and Battery
Get rid of the Assault option.
>Savage Fury
You can't stack temporary HP so it might be ok?
It might be more beneficial to give them magic unarmed strikes at this point or later instead.
>Primeval Instinct
At first glance this looks like it could be the level 6 feature.
>Thundercrack
Get rid of that double max damage and make them roll unarmed strike damage, possibly regular or thunder instead of force, maybe throw in a condition like deafness or stun on anyone who doesn't make the save. Get rid of the damage cost and make it usable one or more times per short rest, or maybe have it cost a rage to use.
>>
How would I go about making a Viking properly? Obviously I'd be playing Barbarian but using Medium Armour. Is this any good? MAM is obviously a bad idea but wouldn't magical armour and/or a shield compensate for the eventual AC difference between me and a UD-using Barbarian?
>>
New class is out.
https://www.luminpdf.com/viewer/4GKJjE7hLdrWoH8G8
>>
>>43565337
Lies.
>>
File: excuse me.jpg (17 KB, 555x406) Image search: [Google]
excuse me.jpg
17 KB, 555x406
>>43565337
>log in
>>
>>43565337
>https://www.luminpdf.com/viewer/4GKJjE7hLdrWoH8G8
Needs permission to view, bruh.
>>
>>43565337
what is this
>>
>>43565337
You made a shitty "antipaladin" didn't you?
>>
>>43565337
>site wants me to log in

HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>43565337
>>43565384
It's a shitty WH40K homebrew class.
>>
>>43565421
Upload the fucking pdf directly please, Lumin is shit.
>>
>>43565439
this

use zippyshare if its bigger than 8.8 mb
>>
File: 1447110137226.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1447110137226.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43565337
>>43565175
Guy posted the pdf without a login and deleted it. It's a homebrew Warhammer style chaos knight.
>>
File: UA_Chaos_Chosen.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
UA_Chaos_Chosen.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43565337
downloaded it from his link
>>
>>43565316
>How would I go about making a Viking properly?
Make any character and play it like a viking.
>>
>>43565079
Conjuration wizards get some cool toys. But the spells that they get to conjure monsters is severely limited.
>>
>>43565316
Unless you play a finesse barbarian, odds are you'll going to have better AC as a med armor barb with or without magic armor. You only get 5 ability score improvements, and most people want at least a few feats. But yes, +3 magic armor brings you up to 20 theoretical ac, which is the same thing that a theoretically maximized unarmored barb gets. (Shield doesn't matter because either side can take shields.)

Be a human, go berserker over totem, pick up an axe instead of some English-ass sword, take the sailor background, and go drink a dwarf under the table. Bonus points if you fuck the barmaid afterwards.
>>
>>43565502
My heart bleeds for the poor summoners.

Also in all fairness, the 3.5 summoner class was Druid, whose Conjure line was the best in the game and whose spontaneous magic was said Conjure line.
>>
>>43565461
>>43565467
Thanks.
>>43565337
This is not a new class.
>>
File: Warlock Spellsniper.jpg (86 KB, 500x889) Image search: [Google]
Warlock Spellsniper.jpg
86 KB, 500x889
How'd I go about making a homebrew class that casts spells through guns, or any ranged weapon for that matter?

Or better yet, what are the basics to homebrewing a class in 5e? Is there a certain formula each official class follows? (archetype at 3, multiattack or otherwise at 5, another feature at 7 or 9)
>>
How do I play a potato that has become sentient. What class and background best fights the style of potato.
>>
>>43565568
My bad. I don't mean to imply that wizards or conjuration wizards need help. I'd just like to be able to summon a wider variety of monsters. Being able to summon an eidolon style monster would be icing on the cake. If the cost of that is that you're a much weaker version of a wizard, that's fine by me.
>>
File: listen you double fag.png (332 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
listen you double fag.png
332 KB, 720x404
>>43565585
>>
>>43565577
>what are the basics to homebrewing a class in 5e?
Fit them into existing class structures whenever possible. If you do a full class, be sure to have at least two, preferably 3, archetype ideas that are distinct from each other in mechanics and fluff.
>>
>>43565337
I like it, at least compared to the usual "negative energy cleric" that is usually the anti-paladin.
I'd much rather be a warlock-knight of Tzeentch. I am a bit of a 40k lorefag though.
>>
>>43565577
>Spell Focus: You can use a ranged weapon you are proficient in as your spell focus
>Weapon Proficiency: You are proficient in guns
Done
>>
>>43565577
Check the OP mega link, grab the Dungeon Master's Guide and the UA Modifying Classes pdfs, and the basics are there.
>>
>>43565625
Also, make at least one of the archetypes total shit.
>>
>>43565613
>I'd just like to be able to summon a wider variety of monsters.
Isn't that what the Bard is for? You get Druid only summons, Cleric only summons, you can even get the Paladin's Find Steed, no class can summon as much as a Bard can.
>>
>>43565687
Not that anon, but I'd assume he means the MM right now has poor selection. Clerics have it especailly bad with Summon Celestial -- It might as well say "Summon Coatl" right now, because that's their only CR-appropriate option.
>>
>>43565655
Preferably the one that looks the coolest to autistic morons so you can trap them and then mock them.

>>43565687
I've been thinking about brewing up Raise Minor Undead as a spell, same terms as Conjure Minor Elementals but Necromancy.
>>
>>43565633
I'd add the further stipulation that the gun has to be customized so it can't fire regular bullets but rather special spell-rounds, like pic-related.
>>
>>43565754
>implying charop isn't autistic shit
>>
>>43564949
>http://deepnight.net/tools/tabletop-rpg-map-editor/
More! more map editors please anons!
>>
File: Items2.jpg (1 MB, 1780x3125) Image search: [Google]
Items2.jpg
1 MB, 1780x3125
I just made the magic weapons that I'm giving my group as a reward for a pretty long campaign, do you guys think they're OP or underpowered?
My guys are all 3rd and 4th level, but by the end they should be 4th and 5th.
>>
>>43565727
An UA with some templates to expand summoning options might be nice. Throw in some new monsters, a few spells and a path/PrC and you've got an article that would keep /5eg/ bitching for a month at least.
>>
File: Items1.jpg (1 MB, 1849x3168) Image search: [Google]
Items1.jpg
1 MB, 1849x3168
>>43565855
Here's the front side
>>
File: 1444805988156.gif (1 MB, 250x167) Image search: [Google]
1444805988156.gif
1 MB, 250x167
>>43565855
OP as fuck. Have you even read the DMG?

Who cares it your campaign. Give everyone tons of magical items all the time every session.
>>
>>43560423
Alright. It makes it possible to act like a wizard, and use the melee cantrips instead of the ranged ones afterward, instead of making your bread and butter magicking better
>>
>>43560165
What is the general consensus on Out of The Abyss?
>>
File: emphatic eh.png (20 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
emphatic eh.png
20 KB, 560x407
>>43565904
I... I think so?
We're all pretty new, just started D&D for the first time and this is like our third campaign.
My friend is borrowing my DMG for his stuff, can you give me the cliffnotes on why they're so OP?
>>
>>43565956
Fun, well put together but a lot of work for the DM to keep on top of.
>>
>>43566013
Even a +1 weapon is a fairly significant item you shouldn't really have before the mid levels. +0 weapons with fancy effects are likely to be more common than those.

At the same time it depends on what you're throwing at players and how bad their prep is.
>>
>>43565886
>>43565855
I like them bro. Kudos for the drawings too. Maybe tone down the dagger so it requires an action to use and doesn't grant the stealth bonus. Maybe give the Maul a small downside, like extreme noise on a melee strike.
>>
>>43566024
How is it hard to keep on top of? Im thinking of running it but Im new to gming, its also the only adventure my local store sells
>>
>>43565855
>>43565886
Not a fan of the art for middle one, but the rest of them look cool.

Mechanics-wise I think that they are all really cool. The hammer seems to lack the little extra interaction that the other ones have.
Maybe have it return to sender after a throw, or maybe make it so that when you roll 4 on that extra 1d4 dmg you also knock back the enemy 5ft/1square

Other than the hammer thing, it's pretty damn cool. I like the idea of using cards for magic items. It makes people feel special when you hand them out, you also feel like you get the weapon as opposed to just writing it down on your sheet.
>>
>>43566013
Also like, at level 4, nice shit is a breastplate, a warhorse and a silvered weapon. Maybe their first homebase if you feel more sedentary.
>>
>Invited to a game
>GM only allows standard array and default humans
>Ok, I can live with that
>Every NPC ever is of another race
>To do something (hit, pass a DC, whatever that needs a d20) you need to roll at least a 15
>GM "The fuck do you have in Str, Anon? you hit like shit"
>Me "16"
>GM "Only?"
The fuck only? is the highest you can have at fist level with a +1 from human!
>Ask the other players what's his fucking deal
>"Nah, he was always like this, he loves to make everything extra difficult"
Where the fuck did I get myself into
>>
>>43566039
Okay, that makes sense. Me and the other guy who DM's have a problem with throwing items at the other players so they don't get bored, but that's something we're going to have to rein in. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>43566013
You can't even use 'rare' weapons unless you are at least level 5.

A +1 to damage weapon is strong. This gives +2.5.
Not only that it can be throw and does even more damage. This thing is like a +5 weapon.

Download the DMG from the mega, you have no excuse.
>>
>>43566013

I think what the anon was trying to say is to not let players get too carried away with magic item requests.

In 3.5, at least, there are so many supplements that you can easily break things with the right items from the right books.

I had a game where my dragonfire adept could make 240 ft run actions while using a breath weapon at...I forget the level, but it was not even 15....because of a specific magic item. Again though, this was 3.5 and not 5e. I'm not as familiar with trying to break 5e, but the point is people will try.
>>
>>43565467
im gonna ask my dm if i can use this. anyone see any problems with it?
>>
>>43565585
>what's the most potato class

Go ranger then pick Beast master as your archetype.

You will be able to do nothing, but your party will think they fucked up in some way because you always have something to sounds helpful on the table but isn't.

Or sorcerer, they're pretty bad too.
>>
>>43566049
>>43566096
Thanks, I'm learning a lot here.

>>43566092
Yeah, I had a lot of trouble drawing a dagger that doesn't have an edge. The hammer knockback idea is cool, but I think having it return to the thrower would be a little outrageous. I meant the throwing part as a desperation, "I didn't bring any ranged weapons" attack.
I had the exact same thought about the weapon cards.
>>
>>43565079
>Summoner as a full class is PF Bullshit.
I remember that in 3.5 there was a "summoner", or was it a PrC? different name, though, convoker I think
>>
Hey. Im just about to start Princes of the apocalypse for a new group anythung i should know or be aware of?
>>
>>43566125
Just throw shit at them that's important for what it is in-story, instead of what it is mechanically.

Instead of being significant for being +1 dagger that would otherwise reduce a PC's chance to hit, it's a sword of an evil bladesinger of centuries past that underwent an Atonement spell, and became a paladin. He sealed his soul within his blade, and now it gives its wielder advice to evade the dark forces that seek the secrets it knows. Or something.

If you feel the need to throw multiple items at them, make it a set, and make the set significant. The 5 Elemental Stones; or the 8 weapons of heroes long past, which are the keystones to the prison holding back an ancient darkness.

You can give them shit, just bear in mind what the game is balanced around. PCs aren't necessarily expected to have magic at their disposal in this edition.
>>
>>43566169
>play beastmaster / sorc
>spend all my time using my ranger skills to harvest and grow potatoes.
>use fire magic to make baked potatoes
>add magic for seasoning
>add some fresh meat and sauce
>best tasting meal party has ever had
>>
>>43566200
Like I'm overstating it a bit, but even the DMG considers hitting level 5 with more than the purchasable magic items (basic potions, level 1 scrolls) to be on the high fantasy scale.
>>
>>43566138
>You can't even use 'rare' weapons unless you are at least level 5.
Well intended lies are still lies, anon.
>>
>>43566234
Well, yeah. The idea for these was that they're blackmailed by a blue dragon into stealing these weapons from a brass dragon's lair. They used to fight each other, but since neither one could manage to kill the other, now they have a Cold War kind of situation, where they fight by proxy and get people to steal the same three magic weapons from each other over and over.
At the end of the campaign, one of the dragons finally gets killed by the other, who declares that he's sick and tired of seeing those goddamn weapons and that the party may as well keep them.
>>
>>43565585

Sentient Weapon: Awakened Potato
1d4 damage (improvised weapon), bludgeoning, thrown. 1/2 lb.

As an action, you can consume the potato to regain 1d6 + level HP. If you do so, make a DC 15 Wisdom save or suffer a random short-term madness effect from its screams of agony.
>>
>>43566243
>Halfing Beastmaster 3/Sorc 1
>chilling out on my fucking pterodactyl
>Lightning Lure a motherfucker 10 feet beneath me, he gets pulled 10 feet
>up
>fucker takes 1d8 damage from LL, 1d6 damage from falling, lands prone so my niggas can wail on him with advantage
Can't touch this unless you have ranged weapons
>>
File: 1737_dota_2_batrider.jpg (174 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1737_dota_2_batrider.jpg
174 KB, 1920x1080
>>43566458
>>
>>43566458
>Needs to be 4th level to do that
Our aarakroca druid was doing that at 1st level
>>
File: Spud.jpg (77 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Spud.jpg
77 KB, 500x333
>>43566438

>>43566524
>letting people play aarakocra
Your dm is fucking dumb.
>>
>>43566524
;_;

To be fair, I'm certain most competent DMs would either ban Aarakocras at first level, or otherwise heavily restrict the utility of flight in combat.
>>
>>43566550
>letting people play aarakocra
>Doing the same with halfling beastmaster at 4th level
>>
Thirsting Blade now lets you do an extra weapon or cantrip attack.

Does this fix bladelock?
>>
>>43566458
Why not pick magic initiate instead of MC?
>>
>>43566577
Methinks anyone playing a beastmaster needs all the help he can get.

Besides, Aarakocra is a race. It provides miscellaneous bonuses, but doesn't really define your role in-game. Beastmaster ranger is a fucking class.
>>
>>43566597
Because fuck you I had to work within the restrictions of the post I was quoting
>>
>>43566053
There can potentially be something like 15 NPCs accompanying them at any one time. The opening scenes contain 10 distinct ones they might end up escaping with. A lot of them will die/leave and they're all optional but it's still a lot of moving parts. Plus it's sandbox-y in that the players have a lot of choice in where they go and what they do so you have to improvise regularly.
>>
>>43566580
No, because DPR wasn't their problem despite what that anon in the last thread said. Medium armor proficiency and free extra attack instead of requiring an invocation does solve their problems, though.
>>
>>43566205
Malconvoker. Also, the PF summoner ability is having a single highly customizable minion (the so called eidolon) while the malconvoker ability is being capable of summoning evil things to kill other evil things (iirc with enought optimization you could summon lesser avatars of dagon and other abyss lords)
>>
>>43566580
GFB and Undying Light already fixed Bladelock.
>>
>>43566677
>People trully believe this
>>
>>43566643
So I'm not good at improvising very well, what would be a better game to run? My group has already played mines of phandelver
>>
>>43566219
It's very fun, be prepared to beat them over the head with the opening hook and then to steer them away hard from things that are beyond them but seem like natural progression to the players.

And for the love of God don't do what my DM did and change half the adventures to remove the interesting stuff in favour of bullshit and change the townsfolk in Red Larch to your own fanfic characters or some shit.
>>
>>43566677
The problem is that Shillelagh Tomelocks have access to exactly the same options, and can perform the role almost as well most times, and better in some situations.
>>
>>43566677
Actually it made tomelocks deal almost as much damage as bladelocks with zero invesment, so no, I don't think it fixed shit.
>>
>>43566706
PotA is good, it's all in the mega naturally. OotA can be fun just going exactly by the book, but IMO it really shines with a DM who can add his own special touches to the place and bring it to life.
>>
>>43566138
Rarity provides a rough measure of an item's power
relative to other magic items. Each rarity corresponds
to character level, as shown in the Magic Item Rarity .
table. A character doesn't typically find a rare magic
item, for example, until around 5th level. That said,
rarity shouldn't get in the way of your campaign's story.
If you want a ring of invisibility to fall into the hands of
a 1st-level character, so be it. No doubt a great story will
arise from that event.
>>
File: UA_Chaos_Chosen.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
UA_Chaos_Chosen.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Update to official new 5e D&D class.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzR0MA1XfJgNYVR6Yml5c2d4V1E/view
>>
>>43566677
>Reduced the difference between bladelocks and tomelocks to almost 0
>"fixed"
I don't think you know what that word means
>>
>>43566747
Except tomelock doesn't get lifedrinker so you're getting CHAx2 instead of CHAx2 + DEX as your damage mods.
>>
>>43566802
Son this is homebrew. I like it a lot, but it's not official.
>>
>>43566819
>I-I deal 5 more damage, if I spend enough ASIs on both dex and cha, at 12th level!
Trully overpowered.
Meanwhile, below 12th lever, you deal the same damage while he was way more utility than you.
>>
>>43566819
Oh no 5 damage a travesty.

Bladelock needs some sort of errata to bring it up to standard.
>>
>>43566819
>almost as well most times, and better in some situations
Note that I did not say "does better at everything all the fucking time".
But by all means - if you've sank a 12th level Invocation in, surely I can assume myself to have taken a feat like Polearm Master to smack enemies again with my bonus action, or Elemental Adept to reroll my 1s and bypass resistance if that shit doesn't fly.
>>
>>43566819
If I ever start at 12th level in a game I might think about going bladelock, meanwhile tomelock all day erre day.
>>
ITT: People argue about what happens to a crappy metric of combat effectiveness when the goblins stand in a line just like you want them to.
>>
>>43566802
Are you trying to be funny? Because if so, it's not working.
>>
>>43566802
What did you change? I just looked at the old version a few minutes ago.
>>
>>43565577
Play the Iron Kingdoms rpg they have wizards who cast spells through their guns.
>>
>>43566943
Let's be honest, this is what most charop is reliant on.

Meteor storm is a great spell if you happen to be shooting at tightly packed dummies too.
>>
>EK has access to two weapons and can summon them as bonus action
>Warlock has access to only one, and has to be melee, and summons it as action
Why? why not bonus action too? I just want to be cool and summon it in my first turn, right now it forces me to have it since early hours in the morning, that's not cool.
>>
>>43560165
>They add summons to 5e
>Concentration required
why even bother?
>>
>>43566857
Nobody said 'overpowered' genius. The post said 'fixed'. i.e. functional.

Who gives a shit if it's marginally less powerful before level 12. It's then marginally more powerful AFTER it

They're both weaker than if you multiclassed Dragon Sorc with it, so I guess by your standards they're both shit.
>>
>>43567024
Why do you think, you bathrobe faggot?
>>
>>43566943
Are you implying finding two monsters one next to each other is impossible? you know half of them have pack tactics or similar features which mean then need to be more or less one next to each other to trigger it?
>>
>>43567023
It doesn't have to be melee, you can perform the ritual on a ranged magic weapon.
>>
>>43567029
>so I guess by your standards
You guess fucking awfully 2bh
At 12th level most games have died this is sadly a terrible truth, also MC is a variant, both warlock subclasses are the default, there's something fucking wrong when one, non inteded for melee combat, is a good as the one intended for melee combat
>>
File: laugh.png (74 KB, 171x278) Image search: [Google]
laugh.png
74 KB, 171x278
>>43567053
hahahaha, good one, I really needed the laugh, anon.

Next time you'll tell me you can have a T-rex as a beastmaster once your first creature dies.
>>
>>43567044
>Three monsters outside of the animal appendix
>Half

I'm implying that assuming you'll trigger GFB every round is a shitty assumption for DPR comparison, yes.
>>
>>43565777
Makes me want to go and rewatch that.

It's been long enough that I practically have amnesia for it.
>>
>>43567120
This.
Just spam EB and get over it, is not like the thirsting blade is going to help you, monsters can be separated more than 30ft, is silly to expect they won't.
>>
>>43567085
As we've established it's not 'as good' it is 'marginally less good' and what it gets in exchange for that margin is more utility.

And who gives a shit about the metagame aspect? Half the classes in the game get their good shit after level 12, I guess they're all garbage too?
>>
>>43567200
You mean /5eg/ doesn't stand for 5th Edition is Garbage?
>>
>>43567104
Did you seriously not know that? Go grab a +1 Heavy Crossbow. You can make it your pact weapon.

Why don't you read the fucking PHB before shitposting.
>>
ITT: shitters who can't read and autists who never get tired of having the same argument
>>
File: Another retard bites the dust.png (78 KB, 590x645) Image search: [Google]
Another retard bites the dust.png
78 KB, 590x645
>>43567231
Please, stop, you're embarrasing yourself, smarter people than you have tried.
>>
>>43567231

>You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for
weapon options).

>melee weapon

Unless you're trying to play some mental gymnastics and say "I can choose the form of my melee weapon, so I choose to make my melee weapon take the form of a ranged weapon".
>>
>>43567231

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/609492258795077632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Furthermore kiss my ass.
>>
Planning to make a joke character an undying light warlock, magical girl.
>>
File: Tom%20Sword[1].png (164 KB, 1024x483) Image search: [Google]
Tom%20Sword[1].png
164 KB, 1024x483
I am making an artifact sword for a campaign I am running and want your opinions on it

Boreus's Reckoning
>Wondrous item, Artifact (requires attunement
>Greatsword of the fallen god Boreus. This weapon was gifted by him to Greyvis the greatest of his angels. Upon the betrayal and destruction of his god Greyvis went mad and used this weapon to cut through swaths of angelic servants until he was finally struck down. It was found that no being in service to the gods could touch this weapon without it driving them mad as well. Thus the blade was left where it fell until it vanished from both history and legend.
>Boreus's Reckoning is a magic, sentient greatsword that grants a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. It also deals an extra 2d10 damage to celestials, fiends, and gods.
>While attuned to it the blade grants you immunity to Radiant damage and when you strike a celestial or fiend they must make a DC 19 con save or be destroyed.
>While attuned to the blade you cannot be attuned to any other item. In addition when you become attuned to this artifact celestials and fiends are automatically hostile to you.
>The consciousness in the blade is very last remnants of the god Boreus. This vestage was driven mad by the betrayal of his fellow gods. This madness spreads to any being tied to a god as well. When a cleric or paladin attempts to attune to Boreus's Reckoning they must make take 4d10 psychic damage and make a DC 23 charisma save (fiends and celestials automatically fail this save). On a failure they are driven mad by the vestige inside the blade. They fly into a rage and attempt to kill anything within sight only stopping when they are either killed or reduced to unconsciousness after which they become unattuned.

>This artifact can only be destroyed while coated in the blood of a god. While coated in this blood it has an AC of 26, 100hp, and resistance to all non-force damage.

Opinions?
>>
>>43567380

Sounds good. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>43566999
At least with meteor storm you can catch 'em a solid 80 feet away from each other.
>>
>>43567380
How would you Henshin every combat? Mage Armor is day-long.
It's a barbarian multiclass, isn't it?
>>
>>43567312
>>43567313
You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, blah blah blah fluff.

Page 108 of the Players Handbook, which is in the MEGA link at the top of the thread, so that dumbfuck crossboarders like you two can download and read.

You cannot create a ranged pact weapon from nothing, you CAN perform the ritual on an existing magical ranged weapon to make it your pact weapon.
>>
>>43567442
see >>43567365
>>
>>43567442
I knew you were going to reply that's why I prepared this, thanks for activating my trap card.
>>
>>43567442
Read the thread you malignant rectal tumour.
>>
>>43567389
Doesn't seem useful against anything not celestial. Might as well get a normal +3 sword and save yourself the berserker rages and celestial hitmen
>>
>>43567442
Srly wondering if you're mentally handicapped.
>>
>>43567442

>being this much of a RAW sperg

use some common sense
>>
>>43567457
>Quoting twitter as canonical
Ain't real until it reaches print, son
>>
>>43567442
Octavio J. Piacentini, stop.
>>
>>43567537
>canonical
Didn't realize the rulebook was a fucking novel. Also the errata pdf wasn't printed but is still official, so please engage in coprophagia.
>>
>>43567528
Common sense such as reading a rule and following what it says?
>>
I could use some help creating Magic items. I'm thinking of a weapon that my party would obtain from a powerful Werewolf.

My idea is giving it an effect when used under direct moonlight. I just have no idea what it should do, I'm thinking of a +1 weapon that glows when outdoors at night creating light and then deals a D6 necrotic damage. During the day it's just a +1 weapon. As new DM I don't know if this is too strong for a level 4-5 party.
>>
>>43567600
something something T-rexes and beastmasters
something something horse casting
>>
>>43567606
As mentioned in the thread above, try to avoid giving out +1 items, as the game is balanced around their general rarity or absence.
>>
>>43567580
>Canon only applies to novels
English isn't your first language, is it?

Anyways, I literally could not care less about what Wizards says is official. Until something gets into a printed book, 90% of players aren't going to hear about it.
>>
>>43567633
Ok, the DMG states how +1 weapons are uncommon. So another question, would it be too much of a stretch to have a hero king or a famous paladin who wielded a +2 weapon?
>>
>>43567615
I don't even know what you're mumbling about now.

Are you perhaps referring to the 'Common Sense' that says Dragons aren't real and Dungeons should actually only contain the corpses of dead criminals and the occasional shitting bucket?
>>
>>43567500
Thats what it was made for. Boreus was the god of boundaries in my world. He guarded the mortal world from infringement from outside forces without invitation. Basically he stopped gods, angels, and devils for waving their dicks all around the mortal world at will.

A few thousand years ago some gods got pissed at him and stabbed him in the back. Since then things have started going all Salvatore as the barriers fade and more and more shit leaks in.

Right now the players are running around trying to save the world while massive armies of angels and devils use it as a battlefield. The players found out about the fallen god and the role he played due to an ancient and protected library. They also learned about his sword. Now they are hunting it so they can hopefully find a way to fix all the shit that has gone bad.
>>
>>43567600
>>43567537
So the errata never happened? Crawford is the final word in what is and is not allowed according to the rules. Your table can use whatever house rule it likes but don't bring it up in a discussion about the class generally like it matters.

Besides which it's common sense that the pact of the BLADE only lets you use melee weapons.
>>
>>43567663
Anon, is ok if your retard GM lets you have a ranged weapon, you don't need to validate yourself on the Internet, just acknowledge you're wrong.
>>
>>43567663
"Canon" as you used it applies to things with a narrative. Religions have narratives. Novels and movies have narratives. The rulebooks do not have narratives.
>>
>>43567673
No, but it would likely be the stuff of legends. A blade of unerring accuracy, that could sever a candle flame from its wick, or a spear that strikes unerringly to its target's heart - that sort of thing.

And the party isn't going to get their hands on it until near endgame.
>>
>>43567690
The common sense that says a pact of blades wouldn't cover magical crossbows. The kind that isn't trying to cheese a mechanical boost out of a flaw in wording that exists because the phb tries to use everyday language where possible.
>>
>>43567690
Nope
The T-rex thing uses the same lack of reading comprehension and lack of RAI, nowhere it says you can't have whatever animal you want as companion, just that you start with one medium and with CR below 1/4, so, when it dies, pick a fucking T-Rex

The horse casting follows a similar retardation that allows you to double cast spells (while only spending 1 slot) when you're mounted in your summoned steed (with summon steed spell)
>>
>>43567701
At what level are you planning on giving your players a weapon that gives them +3 to attack rolls?

Alternatively, how horribly unoptimized is your party?
>>
>>43567606
>Level 4-5
Yeah a +1 weapon is fine at that point. A level or so early but not bad. Maybe have the weapon physically look different while under a full moon.

Something like
>This long gently curving blade seems to have a smooth edge. However under the light of the full moon its edge appears to have jagged serrations not unlike rows of teeth.
>>
>>43567749
Canon comes from religious law, which often deals with interpretation of scripture. It has, since the early 20th century, been applied more generally to mean "correct interpretation of a text." A novel is a text. So is a fucking rulebook.
>>
File: T-rexes.png (101 KB, 377x480) Image search: [Google]
T-rexes.png
101 KB, 377x480
>>43567784
I know what's going to be my next PC
>>
>>43564949
I just wanna thank you for posting this, i've been looking all the fuck over for a good map editor that can be used for modern settings, and I suddenly fucking find one randomly just by popping into /5eg/ out of boredom.

Thanks a ton, anon!
>>
>>43567835
Someone who argues based on thesaurus definitions rather than actual usage has no place telling someone else they don't speak english properly
>>
>>43567835
>If I correct them they might forget I can't fucking read or understand rules
>>
>>43567835
How's that theology degree working out anon? Because the common definition of canon that normal people use is "events that did actually officially happen within the narrative".
>>
>>43567720
That wasn't an errata, that was a twitter posting.

When it gets put INTO an errata it will matter. I'm not going to keep a bunch of sticky notes in my PHB or browse twitter every day to keep up to date on whatever inane ramblings Crawford half-remembers from development.
>>
>>43567868
Damage control: Over 9000
>>
>>43567737
No. You don't get to post something on a twitter with 3700 followers and say that's the end of it. That's not how communication fucking works. Maybe you do, but the rest of the world doesn't live online. When you want to make changes, you print a new edition. That's how it's been done since before the invention of the goddamn printing press, and easy access to a soapbox with a couple listeners don't change that.
>>
>>43567859
Anon pls, "correct" implies that he's right.
>>
>>43567818
They are level 17 now. If things go as planned they will be getting the blade somewhere about late level 18 or early level 19.

As for optimization? They are not really that optimized.
>Champion fighter
>Swasbuckler rogue
>Divination wizard
>Nature cleric of himself
>Hunter Ranger

I would say the wizard would be the most optimized of the lot but he mainly is about shutting down enemies with walls and such.
>>
>>43567906
Except the erratas haven't been printed since 2nd edition. TSR used their fucking website for erratas you dumb fuck.
>>
>>43567773
How is picking a ranged weapon a 'mechanical boost' when it's strictly inferior to just using GFB which requires a melee weapon?

The rules said nothing about melee only, so why shouldn't it work? Thematic incompatibility?

'Common sense' tells me that Tomelocks shouldn't be better at melee than Bladelocks, maybe I should just ignore rules about that too?
>>
>>43567906
>Internet is not muh canon way of releasing erratas
Top kek
>>
>>43567906
That's why we have Sage Advice and we check it if we're uncertain about designer intent anon. Unless of course we're being cheesy piles of malignant colon cancer in which case we ignore common sense and use our own interpretation. So how's the T-Rex getting along with super-horse? Do they admire your magic crossbow?
>>
>>43567896
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/Errata_PH.pdf

Here's a cool link for you, it's an errata. This is where they make corrections to broken rules.

When there's another one of these that says the Blade Pact ritual cannot be performed on a magical ranged weapon, then it will be a rule.

Until then it's a twitter posting.
>>
The main problem faced when arguing with idiots is that they are too stupid to realize just how stupid they are.
>>
>>43567952
>The rules said nothing about melee only, so why shouldn't it work? Thematic incompatibility?
>'Common sense' tells me that Tomelocks shouldn't be better at melee than Bladelocks, maybe I should just ignore rules about that too?

Common sense tells me that GFB was a development fuckup. It also tells me that being able to pact a ranged weapon contradicts the design behind bladelock, allowing him to make use of his pact weapon without having to get up close and scrimmage. Just admit you're wrong anon.
>>
>>43568029
Damage control approaching maximum levels.
>>
>>43568013
I don't know why you have such a fucking hard-on for T-rexes and horses, I'm not whoever the fuck you were arguing with that about. Are you confusing 4chan with a forum? Maybe you were trying to post on the giant's forum and got confused?
>>
>>43568070
>damage control
>on an anonymous image board

You do realize he can just bugger off to a quest thread if he doesn't think you're a cockbag, right?
>>
>>43568099
>>damage control
>>on an anonymous image board
people certainly damage control all the time on 4chan despite their anonymity
>>
>>43568080
I'm implying that your weird ideas about being able to use a ranged weapon as a bladelock are in the same vein of stupid "well there's no rule against it" shit as the t-rex companion, the super horse or even the fucking peasant railgun.

>>43568099
I wish he would frankly.
>>
>>43568054
So people who don't follow your completely arbitrary interpretation of the 'design' of something over following the actual written rules are 'wrong'?

I take it you're one of those 'alternative learners'.
>>
Fuck, 5eg is a cesspool. What are you even arguing about at the moment? Someone follows the strict errata text at their table and someone uses twitter rulings at theirs and ??? Then what?
>>
Nothing triggers /5eg/ quite like gimmicky, underperforming builds.

'Ackshually you have to use your bonus action to retrieve your EK weapon one at a time. Please stop trying to, eheh, cheese my game with your munchkin throwing weapon build.'
>>
>>43568177
People who don't follow the rules as they were intended and then bring that to a discussion are wrong, simple as. It's like saying "Oh warlock sucks you should play a homebrew class I made that only I have the details of".
>>
>>43568269
Hey if people want to homebrew then that's cool. But everyone should realise by now that 5eg thinks little or less of homebrew.
>>
>>43568280
Whatever you say Ms. Cleo. Please tell me more about how people who follow the rules instead of your literal homebrew quickfixes are the homebrewers.
>>
>>43568269
Nobody cares about underperforming builds, what really rustles our jimmies is people saying something works when really it isn't and try their hardest to prove it when they're fucking wrong.

See the damn horse casting shit that was spammed in every 5eg a few months ago. Your GM allows it? I don't fucking care, but don't post here like those are RAW and RAI, specially RAI
>>
>>43568316
What homebrew? That 40k class everyone ignored?

It's just been people squabbling over rules for hours now.
>>
>>43568269
Homebrew is ok, we don't like it, but it's ok.
Trying to pass homebrew as official rulings and act all arrogant, smug and allmighty about it is the fucking worse, and we hate it.
>>
>>43567842
This is genius, the new beast doesn't have a limit at all. And people said beastmasters were weak.
>>
>>43568393
Anything that isn't RAI is homebrew, making up rules or content to suit your own needs.
>>
>>43568445
Do I need to get the relevant sage advice link or are you going to throw a fit about it too?
>>
>>43568479

Don't bother, if it's not PUBLISHED ERRATA then it's just some stupid irrelevant twitter rambling. God, some people.
>>
>>43568502
>PUBLISHED ERRATA
Don't forget that it has to be in hardcover print.
>>
>>43568479
Errata or don't even bother, ell oh ell
>>
So why aren't Arrakocra PCs claws Finesse weapons when MM Arrakocra's claws are?
>>
>>43568625
PCs must be weaker
>>
>>43565855
+5 to dex checks? Jesus fucking christ rogues are already overpowered as shit.

+1 that shit instead.

And charge systems like this are always "Hay man there's a huge risk of losing it if you expend too many charges" It's a fucking idiotic argument because no one in their right mind would ever let it get to that few of charges.

I hope your heroes are near level 10+ because this is some mid (at least) to end-game tier shit

The dagger looks like a vibrator. it's lewd.
>>
>>43568625
Arakocra's talons aren't natural weapons but unarmed strikes that deal slashing damage, so they can be used with DEX.

You can be an Arakocra monk if you felt like doing a statistically worse damage type for your unarmed.
>>
>>43567442
Jesus christ you talk a metric ton of shit for being WRONG.

What a waste of your and everyone else's time. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>43566802
somebody should compile a book of these well put together homebrews. I know /tg/ hates a lot of the, but for the most part ones like this and the witch hunter are really well done compared to most of the shit people spew.
>>
File: Warlock Pact Homebrew.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Warlock Pact Homebrew.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43568774
Like this?
>>
>>43568265
It's because it's a bunch of barely-functional pathfaggots who switched systems yet again after Paizo lost them with one too many Ultimate books.

Have I mentioned that I hate what 3.x did to the community? Because I hate what 3.x did to the community
>>
>>43568723
It can be used with dex but only if his class is monk. Doesn't turn them into finesse though.
>>
>>43568029
yeah i think you are right. Crawford's twitter posts aren't gospel. They are welcome to put their rules in a book though.

>>43568135
how do you know it wasn't him? Also don't be so mean. It isn't nice.
>>
>>43568786
oh wow great stuff!
>>
>>43568808
Jeremy Crawford is the dude who's the rules in 5e, the current errata is nothing else but what he already said in sageadvice, but seems there're tons of retards who still ruleslawyer their hardest, if shit continues like this the next reprint of the PHB is going to be 10k of pages with rules so airtight that you can even program a robot with them without fearing compilation problems.
>>
>>43568808
>Crawford's twitter posts aren't gospel
>The dude who makes the rules for 5e's words aren't gospel
If that isn't gospel literally nothing is
>>
So how would a caster for a mute race such as the telepathic Myconids work in 5e? 3.5 apparently had feats to allow silent casting but there's nothing like that here.

Is it plausible that they would have come up with an alternative to verbal casting, or would they just have the spell list restricted to somatic and material component spells?
>>
File: Grave Sovereign homebrew.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Grave Sovereign homebrew.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43568841
That guy has some good ones. Check out his blog he lists at the end of these
>>
>>43568808
>And Jesus descended to Earth for a second time and talked to the people
>And one faggot said "Sorry, if isn't in a bible I'm not going to listen to you"
>>
>>43568915
>one faggot
You underestimate how many faggots there'd be doing that.
>>
>>43568855
None of the rulings people are shitposting about in the thread need 'airtight' lawyering to fix.

The 'Blade Pact works on ranged weapons' is literally because they forgot a single word in the second half of the ruling.

So... yeah, maybe we SHOULD look forward to a PHB rerelease where they don't make stupid editing mistakes like forgetting words or making reference to nonexistent rules, which is what 90% of errata is.
>>
>>43568958
I want to believe the ranged bladelock anon was one dude samefagging hard and not many retards.
>>
>>43568992
D&D branch of Wotc are currently 5 dudes, no joking, of course there's going to be editing mistakes and shit.
>>
>>43564561
>Archetype based around unarmed fighting
>Art is clearly holding a warhammer
God damn, that pisses me off.
>>
>>43564561
It's not that impressive.
Rather than nerfing a mediocre path, why not make the Monk better.
>>
So we know the next adventure is a Shakespearean style Giants focused game. What do you think it'll be? What sort of race-class (spec) do you think you'll play as?

Personally, I hope it's a play off of "Titus Andronicus". As for build, gonna go Goliath Barbarian (Totem Warrior) or bring back an old human fighter I played as in 2E AD&D.
>>
>>43564561
Literally better than monk at killing stuff with punches.
>>
>>43569082
It's going to be a variation on The Tempest. Just trust me.
>>
>>43569082
Fun thing is, King Lear was actually done in Dungeons in 2e days. I possibly have a paper copy of that exact one from when I was a baby DM in middle school even.
>>
>Be me 19 and join my first 5e game
>Everyone else there is in their 30's
>I roll up a halfling thief rogue sniper (started at level 5 and took sharpshooter) that is in his late teens
>They all roll up middle aged characters picking up their skills again after several years
>They treat me like I am their collective son both inside and outside the game
>Cheering me on when I hit or do good and consoling me when I do badly
I didn't ask for these feels.
>>
>>43565855
Nifty
A bit on the puissantly side.
You do intend for these to be great treasures?
The dagger's +5 is a bit too mighty for a passive. Perhaps advantage with the use of a charge?
>>
>>43569192
https://youtu.be/YaG5SAw1n0c
>>
>>43569192

They sound like a bunch of cool dudes.
>>
>>43569192
Glad that not all of the graying neckbearded are malign.
>>
>Crit with an unarmed attack
>Deal the same damage as a non crit
Thanks obama
>>
>>43569192
You got lucky, son. Most 19 year olds that hang out doing nerdy shit with middleaged men have a bad fucking time.
>>
>>43569029
They are allegedly professionals. They are paid to produce a finished product. If that is too difficult, they should not be supported.
Stop buying half assed piss poor uneditted dreck.
>>
>>43569102
Which is pretty much all it can do.
Great class for people who want to play some bar brawling roid raged meathead rather than enlightenment = kick like a great sword.
>>
>>43569266
It's a 300 page document. This is a niche market with basically no money in it. We make allowances for small errors.
>>
>>43569228
>>43569221
Its weird. They are always tossing out casual little bits of wisdom at me and keeping an eye on me. Like a few weeks ago I made an offhand comment about being strapped for cash. When I get home I notice someone had tucked a 20 into my college notebook.

>>43569245
I was worried when I first met them. I only started gaming with them because I followed the advice of /tg/ and went to my LGS and asked if they new anyone that runs a game. Dude overheard me and invited me to come along to the game he was running.
>>
When are they going to finish Variant Ranger, Mystic and add some more PRCs?
>>
>>43569320
>Which is pretty much all it can do.
Tank like a mofo? it gets temporary HPs evertime it uses reckless attack.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.