[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/ I am looking for some general tips on how to start being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: avatar_c35492151cf6_128.png (12 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
12 KB, 128x128
Hey /tg/ I am looking for some general tips on how to start being D&D DM. I am looking into getting the Players Guide as well as the DM one but I am stuck deciding which version I should get. Also what is the simplest way to start an adventure for a noob DM? I was thinking of just starting with a module first then making my own stories from there. The party I count on has 3 players so far. Any advice?
>>
There's a 5e starter box that's exactly what you need.

>https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/rpg_starterset

You can actually find it cheaper at some places, but even at $20 it's a pretty good deal, considering it comes with six dice, an adventure specifically written to help you learn the game, quick start character sheets, and simplified rulebooks.
>>
Read this.
http://tabletitans.com/comic
Focus on the character of GM.
Avoid those things he's doing.
>>
>>43559901
>Read this.

It's better to just avoid that comic in its entirety. It doesn't even work as a bad example.
>>
>>43559870
Get your shit together, run a game online.

People who play games online are desperate and won't care or know that you're a terrible GM.
>>
I found some module pdf's. What shoulf I avoid with these if I don't have any DM experience?
>>
>>43559920
It will be held online just between peeps. Most of them haven't played D&D so I guess it would be the same thing? I woulf still like it to be fun.
>>
>>43559870
Yes. Use one of the myriad fantasy systems that are better designed, easier to get into, and not balanced around system mastery.

Here's why (this is all for the 3rd,4th, and 5th editions).
All DnD systems post-3e are built around the idea of 'system mastery'. That means that the player is expected to know which options to take at character creation and when advancing. There are clear cut builds to follow, and the recommended encounter difficulty and rewards are balanced around those optimal builds. That means the system is full of traps for both new players (who might want to choose flavour over mechanical power, or want to play a concept not supported by an optimal build) and new GMs (who will naturally follow the guidelines given, not always taking their party composition into account).
Secondly, with the exception of 4e, the system favours magic classes to an unreasonable degree. Casters get more options, and stronger options, than non-casters. It's not a problem when your wizard is a versatile bottom and uses his powers reasonably, but the player has to be careful not to copletely overshadow the rest of the party. This can be mitigated by running the game with the problem in mind, but it's there.
Third, the ruleset is bloated and obtuse, even compared to groggy games like GURPS.

I'm sure /tg/ can recommend dozens of systems that can run fantasy adventure better and with less effort.
>>
>>43559870
Don't run modules. Instead, look at how the good ones are designed and prepare your own based to the pattern.

Have the players create their characters together with you, maybe decide on a theme. Ask them how they met and if they worked with each other before. That way they'll all know what their doods can do, why they're together, and how they know each other. Saves them and you tons of time.
>>
>>43560002
>lies
>more lies
>misinformation

Go away.
>>
>>43559870
Read this:
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1393/55/1393556080320.pdf

Ignore this >>43560002

4th and 5th edition are both just about equally easy to get into for new players. I don't recommend getting into 3rd edition. My personal preference is for 5e, but it really comes down to individual taste.

Remember that you're there to ensure everyone has fun, and different groups are going to find different things fun. Striking the right balance between combat and social scenes, seriousness and humor, and finding the right tone can be difficult, but with practice anyone can do it, and running a successful, memorable campaign is incredibly rewarding.
>>
>>43559870
>You will never be this smug
What is even the point?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.