[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I get that laughing with your friends is a big part of what makes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: Get_out_of_jail_free.gif (12 KB, 220x140) Image search: [Google]
Get_out_of_jail_free.gif
12 KB, 220x140
I get that laughing with your friends is a big part of what makes tabletop games fun, but I'm starting to get tired of the "I was JOKING" thing when it comes to narrating your in-character actions.

Hopefully I'm the only one that's familiar with this, but if anyone else has it happen, you'll relate to this description: a player says their action, usually something slightly unexpected, a risky choice, or a decision that is probably not the best. The sort of stuff that happens all the time as a matter of course when roleplaying. When the DM starts reacting in a way that suggests Bad Things about to happen (but hasn't actually given out useful information yet), or asks for clarification, the player backtracks with something like "no, I'm kidding." Possibly followed by a different action.

I'm not autistic (inb4 >autist)--while I don't pick up on insult-banter IRL very well, I get the other kinds of joking. So the "joking" retraction seems kind weird, because there's no change in tone of voice, and the action taken is within the expectations of how we usually play. Is the social cue the humorousness? Because so often, the "joke" isn't even close to funny.

And then I have to mentally backtrack what's going on in-character to before you attempted to be a clever ruseman, the game's admittedly-weak flow gets a speedbump, and we've wasted some time.

Does this bug anyone else? Does this even happen to anyone else?
>>
>>43555851
I know exactly what you mean and it does bug me when it happens excessively.
Half the time the moves are ones they would make, but would be bad, so they back out to avoid the issue.
The other half the time they're just outlandish things they suggest doing just for reaction.
really tends to get annoying.
>>
If you take an action, you accept the consequences. Joking about doing something stupid is fine, but doing something stupid, and then saying it was just a joke is not.
>>
File: 1435650539587.jpg (15 KB, 177x278) Image search: [Google]
1435650539587.jpg
15 KB, 177x278
>>43555851
>I'm not autistic (inb4 >autist)--while I don't pick up on insult-banter IRL very well, I get the other kinds of joking. So the "joking" retraction seems kind weird, because there's no change in tone of voice, and the action taken is within the expectations of how we usually play. Is the social cue the humorousness? Because so often, the "joke" isn't even close to funny.
Are you sure you're not autistic? Your mother had you tested and all that?
>>
>>43555851
CALL THE COPS
THIS THREAD'S A FLOP
>>
File: serious.jpg (135 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
serious.jpg
135 KB, 1200x720
>>43555851
>I'm not autistic (inb4 >autist)--while I don't pick up on insult-banter IRL very well, I get the other kinds of joking. So the "joking" retraction seems kind weird, because there's no change in tone of voice, and the action taken is within the expectations of how we usually play. Is the social cue the humorousness? Because so often, the "joke" isn't even close to funny.

That sounds like actual, textbook autism.
>>
>>43555851
>Player makes a somewhat silly suggestion
>DM asks if he's sure he wants to do that
>Player wises up and laughs it off to save face, and does something else.

I guess it might get annoying if the DM has to correct them a lot, but I think you're being a bit too autistic about this.
>>
>>43555851
You're autistic but your players are retarded for needing to add in a remarkable amount of "meta-entertainment" rather than just, you know, writing interesting, comedic or dramatic characters that don't need to be caricatured to be interesting.

Which I thought was why people play RPGs but I guess D&D is just tabletop WoW for some.
>>
>>43555851
Anon, I'm afraid that you are literally autistic, not even in an insulting way.
>>
File: autism levels.jpg (55 KB, 549x604) Image search: [Google]
autism levels.jpg
55 KB, 549x604
>>43555851
>>
>>43557181
>>43557222
>>43558078
>>43558211
>>43558306
>LOL YER AUTISTIC, MATE
Because his friends have a predictable level of dishonesty? Are you sure you're not just idiots?
>>
>>43559509
Did you even read the OP?
>while I don't pick up on insult-banter IRL very well
Maybe you read it but your very own autism made it impossible for you to parse those words. Who knows.
>>
>itt
that guy justfies "BUT I WAS JUST JOKING
>>
>>43559509
Joking around and being dishonest are two very different things.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.