[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LotW General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 47
File: 1422860335525.jpg (111 KB, 600x848) Image search: [Google]
1422860335525.jpg
111 KB, 600x848
Been reading the Legends of the Wulin core book, but dammit if this isn't the most poorly laid out piece of PnP literature I've ever read.

Anyone have any experience with the system and give me the tl;dr on some of the skill resolution mechanics?

Also LotW General because my kung fu is stronger than yours!!
>>
Resident LotWfag here. Anywhere in particular you need help, or would giving the full mechanics rundown be useful? Yeah, the core book is annoyingly awfully laid out, which is a damn shame as it's a fucking great system.
>>
>>43544895
Not the same guy, but this system seems interesting, if a little daunting to get into. Should I just read the rules cover to cover, or is there a recommended reading order?
>>
>>43545095

A friend said that he found it easier to get through by reading it like a novel, rather than like he would a rulebook. It's got the annoying habit of blending fluff and crunch together, and half the time it kind of uses fluff examples to explain crunch.

I'd say give it a once over, then focus on combat and Kung fu, which are the meat of the system. After you've wrapped your head around that, you can touch the confusing yet awesome thing which is Secret Arts.
>>
File: reference sheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
reference sheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43544542
>Anyone have any experience with the system and give me the tl;dr on some of the skill resolution mechanics?

Skill resolution is simply looking for matching dice and adding them to a modifier, where the number *on* the matching dice is equal to the ones digit, and the number *of* matching dice equals your tens digit

So, a roll of 4, 0, 9, 9, 4, 5, 4 means you've got a 34 (3 fours), a 29 (2 nines), a 10 (1 zero), and a 15 (1 five). These base values are assigned to actions you want to do, wherein they get a modifier relevant to the thing you want to do. The usual limitation, though, is that you need a pair of dice or greater to perform anything in addition to your primary action.
>>
File: 1424240522949.jpg (1 MB, 1575x1324) Image search: [Google]
1424240522949.jpg
1 MB, 1575x1324
>>
>>43546115

For the sake of bumping the thread with some discussion, let's use an example of this in action.

Say your swordsman is trying to infiltrate a tightly guarded compound at night. You see a brief weakness in the patrol pattern of the sentries, which gives you a moment to approach the wall undetected. You want to vault over it using your lightfoot skills, but you want to do it stealthily enough to avoid detection, concerned that someone on the wall may notice you in the moonlight. A GM might rule that since these actions are done at the same time, they must be resolved with a single roll. Gamewise, this is simply rolling against a set difficulty; you need a set to leap over the wall (RAW will be 30, maybe more if it's a really huge wall), and if you want to go completely unnoticed you'll need at least a 30 Stealth roll, possibly more if the GM rules them as competent sentries. Suffice it to say, getting 2 sets off of one roll isn't very easy, but this player has a 34 and a 29, so with his Footwork (for the jump) and Stealth skill (for maintaining a low profile) modifiers, he can meet these requirements.

Once you get contested rolls involved, the most common example being combat, that's when the River mechanic comes into play, and that's when the game gets really interesting.
>>
>>43549414
Why is there a trivial difficulty? As far as I can tell, even rolling a 1 on a single die passes the check.

Wouldn't it be better to just not roll for that?
>>
>>43544542
I agree, love the concept but the book is a complete mess. Would love to GM a game but the rules look intimidating to new players.
Was thinking of a cheesy Hogwarts-esque setting making fun of anime tropes.
>>
>>43550008

I've been in a highschool martial arts game, and it works great, You can even treat each 'Rank' as a year in the school, by recontextualising it. Sure, top year students are badasses compared to lower tier students... But the presumption is that the people out there in the 'Real' world are even stronger.
>>
>>43550051
Yeah, I'm keeping the PCs as rank 4 "seniors" but there may be a rank 3 or two among the student body, Mostly because I like the idea of the PCs mentoring a rank 5 student. The higher ranks are reserved for teachers and people outside the school.
I also may have blatantly stolen an idea from "Medaka Box" for cheap quest hooks
>>
>>43549774

Usually, it is, but there are circumstances where your ability score would be lowered so much that you would have to roll.

Damage in this system is handled through Ripples, an abstracted system that just serves to illustrate that shit is getting real. Every time you get hit, you get a Ripple, sometimes multiple. The more Ripples, the realer the shit.

Ripples are used to create Chi Conditions, usually Injury Conditions but not always. Chi Conditions are just mechanical sticks that beat you if you don't act a certain way. For example, if you have the Wounded Knee Chi Condition, you take a penalty to any circumstance that would imply you're acting *despite* a Wounded Knee. Moving around, trying to put on a cool facade through the pain, or something like that gives you a penalty to any relevant rolls you have to make. How much of a penalty you have depends on the degree of the Chi Condition.

So, if you were wounded enough and in a tense enough situation where the outcome of your action is uncertain (dude maimed by an assassin tries to crawl across the floor to a desk to write the assassin's name down and hide the note before said assassin catches up with him again), you literally would have to roll to walk across the room, because by that point you have penalties out the wazoo.
>>
File: 1434519053416.jpg (478 KB, 1286x1000) Image search: [Google]
1434519053416.jpg
478 KB, 1286x1000
>>
So, I'm working on a homebrew based on LotW, and I've got two questions:

Are there any good system hooks for Internal Kung Fu that aren't used in the core or HBM?

Can someone give me the short of the Secret Art of the Artisan?
>>
>>43556399

Look at the Wulin Legends wiki. There's a huge amount of untouched design space in LotW.
>>
>>43549774

If you are not suffering penalties, sure.

But if you've 0 skill and have a major injury condition tossing you a -10 it's quite possible to fail a DC 10. Or attempting stealth through rice paper and twigs could be -10.

0 in a skill isn't BAD but it's not good enough to not have you at risk when it comes to situational problems.
>>
Daily reminder that reprint never.
>>
File: rl3MTzj.jpg (890 KB, 1749x954) Image search: [Google]
rl3MTzj.jpg
890 KB, 1749x954
>>43556399
>Can someone give me the short of the Secret Art of the Artisan?

Once upon a time, some guy *really* wanted to play a character who could use Breathe and use secret arts through the same Skill. This guy then proceeded to make an awkward Secret Art that interacts with none of the others, completely contrary to the precedence set by other Secret Art interactions, for the sake of being able to build things in a mechanical way that could've easily been handled through the existing Loresheet system.

I really don't like the Artisan class, and it pains me to see such bad homebrew make its way into the Half Burnt Manual.
>>
>>43559062
You know, I was of the impression that it had to be good because it was in the HBM, but if it isn't, I don't care. Thanks!
>>
How do we fix elemental styles?

I'm not talking about strength (since they are actually pretty fair and even Fire Sutra is easily fixable).

The problem is that half of elemental styles' techniques are "apply status effect with a bonus". This basically eliminates the choice of techniques, since unique effects are always stronger and more interesting. Is it a good idea to change the elemental techniques into something more narrative-based and inspired by actual chinese phylosophy?
>>
>>43560460

The HBM is mostly good, but it was assembled by a particular clique of the LotW homebrew community, so they showed some favoritism to those in their circle. It's still a solid fan supplement, you just need to take certain parts with a pinch of salt.
>>
>>43560930

I tend to waive the 'One technique per level' rule. I can understand the intent and see that it makes sense in the core setting, but it seems like an arbitrary restriction on concepts, and it breaks down even further with all the wiki styles or trying to run the game in another setting. Rather than coming up with an organisation for every style a player could possibly want to use, it's easier to just waive that rule and use loresheet benefits in other ways.
>>
>>43561871
I tend to limit it initially, but there's always dodgy manuals purchased from weird hermits and the like. Or good enough moment of epiphany for a character.
>>
>>43560460
>You know, I was of the impression that it had to be good because it was in the HBM, but if it isn't, I don't care.

It's up to you man, but I don't like it specifically because it doesn't interact with other Secret Arts, not really. How can you conceptualize an Artisan Condition in a way that doesn't start tiptoeing onto the Courtier's Arts? If you really want to construct the biggest baddest ass monument in all China, that strikes me as pretty emotional. It could easily be described using the existing Secret Arts.

And the really dumb thing is it barely interacts with the other Secret Arts at all. Literally all the other Secret Arts except kind of Scholar's has a degree of interconnectedness; Medical Conditions can imply an Emotional Condition just waiting to be Discovered by a Courtier, a Warrior's Art can play into Daoist Conditions, it's fucking cool because it gives everyone fuel for the Secret Art fire. But Artisan Conditions don't really do the same. It's a fairly isolated system and if you decide to rule it so it isn't, it suddenly sounds exactly like Emotional Conditions. So what's the point?

It's just a really weak concept on the whole.

>>43561871

I personally don't like waiving that rule because it devalues Formless Techniques a lot. If you can buy all the Internal Techniques you want of all categories right off the bat, it's almost universally a mistake to invest in any Formless Techniques.

Formless Techniques are what you use to justify people getting spontaneous new techniques. Out of character, they purchased them, in character they just started using using a fairly universal technique. It provides that useful niche.
>>
>>43562866

The stat boosting formless techs are boring and undervalued anyway, and it doesn't make the actually interesting ones any less valuable to pick up. But different opinions and experiences I guess.
>>
>>43562866

If you want to get more than one technique per level, that should imply you're learning the secrets of another branch of the same Internal Style school. It should be justified by a Loresheet in some way. I'll be relatively loose with this, but I do demand *some* kind of personal quest be involved, whether you raid the Little Forest Sect to steal pages of their Iron Body techniques, or if you venture alone into the mountains to spend the season experimenting and discovering new applications of your Metal Chi. Point is, you gotta get a Deed, whose Entanglement needs to be spent by the player (or GM, in my case) who awarded it to you on a Loresheet that'll let you unlock that potential.

'course, if the player wants to spend the Destiny on the Loresheet, that's what the option is there for. But the point is, it should never be a given that you can get all the techniques you want; it should be a personal quest.
>>
>>43562925
>The stat boosting formless techs are boring and undervalued anyway

I mean, you can make the same argument for your +15 Strike techniques, but everyone knows how good those really are. Or Eight Legends in general. Efficiency can seem boring on paper, but in practice you'll feel like a badass.

But nobody's gunna pay 2 Chi for +5 Strike unless you ensure your +15 Strike has a bit of rarity to it, which is why ya gotta enforce some Loresheet interaction to justify buying all the techniques from a given style that you want. That's how I see it, anyway.
>>
>>43563025

I just think 2 Chi for +5 strike is too little to ever be worth it. I think Formless techniques could do with being a bit more efficient overall, but the stat boosting ones are just shit. I like the HBM suggestion of decreasing the Chi cost of them to make them a little more worthwhile, although I'd still never want to take them just because it's paying through the nose for something boring as hell, which is just no fun.
>>
>>43563091

Yeah, there's not much wiggle room with the given conventions of Chi costs and stuff. Only thing you might be able to do is specify that you can use any of those techniques *after* you make your roll, which might make them a little more useful.

The +5 for 2 chi ones aren't so bad, but the +10 for 4 chi ones are pretty pricey, I agree. Still, I can see myself getting them if it'd be a bitch to learn Iron Body.
>>
File: 1419041425231.jpg (68 KB, 557x594) Image search: [Google]
1419041425231.jpg
68 KB, 557x594
OP here, sorry I started this thread then abandoned it like a puppy in the rain, glad to see that you fine gentlemen kept it alive while I was gone.

In terms of mechanics I'm mostly mixed up about the river and the three choices you have regarding saving dice. All I need is one solid example and I'll be set.
>>
File: Ivory 2.png (2 MB, 1700x2340) Image search: [Google]
Ivory 2.png
2 MB, 1700x2340
>>43563460

Alright. Here goes.

The three choices are all dice manipulation you can do to help get better rolls.

1) Washing: Empties your river
2) Floating: Taking dice from your lake (Your diceroll) and putting them in the river
3) Flow/Flood: Taking dice OUT of your river for a result.

You have to do it in that order, so once you've done one in roll you can't go back to a previous one.

An example:

Ivory, a cop is hunting a criminal through the streets. She's hot on his trail and he's trying to shake her. She needs to make a DC 30 covering ground to get up over the wall he just lept.

She's rank 4 so she rolls 7 dice and gets 3 3 3 1 1 1 6

That 3 3 3 will get her 33 and thus will get her over the wall easily. However, she's got extra sets in her lake and no extra action she wants to take with them right now. She's also got 2 slots in her river.

Her river is empty, so she's not going to Wash. Instead, she'll Float some of those 1s from her Lake to her river. She's got 2 slots so she grab 2 of those 1s (With the last one getting left behind). She can't grab the 6 because he's a solo dice and you can only Float sets of dice.

Up and over the wall she's gone but now he's weaving his way through a crowd. She's going to use Inspire to get the crowd to split so she can follow him. She raises her badge and calls for them to get aside. It's going to be 30 again.
>>
>>43563460
Washing, Floating, Flowing, and Flooding are three distinct River mechanics. They can only be done once per (combat) turn, and only in that order, so if you Flow a die or two out of your River you have to wait for next turn to Wash, for example.

Concrete example:
Joe Xia rolls his Lake for initiative. He gets three sets--a 28, a 25, and a 21, as well as a 14. Primary actions can be done on a single die, and Joe Xia doesn't care about going first, so he uses that 14 for his Initiative and adds his Speed of +5 for a result of 19.

The 28 he uses with his Focus on Breath skill to Breathe some extra Chi at the end of the round, and he has +10 to the skill in question and a +5 Chi condition that helps him out in that respect, for a total of 33.

The 25 he uses to make a Tactics check to analyze his opponent's style, and he has +10 Tactics, for 35.

Without a use for it, he Floats that 21 into his River, so now each River slot has a 1 in it.

Later in the round, Joe Xia has his turn. He rolls his Lake again for attack and gets a 37--awesome!--and four single-die results, a 19, a 16, a 14, and a 10. Joe Xia decides that he has no other things he wants to do, so he uses that 37 for his Strike, which comes to a total of 57 after all hypothetical bonuses are added to it. His opponent rolls their Lake for defense, but can only a muster a 28 for their dodge. The difference (29) means that Joe Xia inflicts 2 Ripples and an immediate Rippling Roll.

These are not the poor schmuck's first Ripples this fight--he has six already, from Joe Xia and others beating up on him. The total of 8 Ripples becomes the basis for Joe Xia's damage roll, so Joe rolls 8 dice and gets a decent result of 34 as his highest result.

Joe Xia also happens to be using a Massive weapon, so he Floods a die from his River right there to ignore his opponent's Armor on the damage roll.

(Cont'd)
>>
File: Ivory Sketch.png (2 MB, 3000x2242) Image search: [Google]
Ivory Sketch.png
2 MB, 3000x2242
>>43563788

1 1 1 9 9 9 9

Oooh, 9s. Those would be MUCH better in her river for later use as they'll give her better results than the 1s. However, see back at the order. While it would be VERY fun to use her current 1s to boost her roll AND take the 9s she can't do that. You have to float dice IN before you can take dice OUT.

So instead she'll wash her River clean. The 1s vanish off into nothingness and she's got 2 empty slots for her new 9s.

The crowd clears and she finds herself face to face with the criminal. He's got a knife to the neck of a hostage. Ivory thinks she can lash out with her whip and disarm him before he hurts the girl but it's going to be tricky. She rolls to oppose him with her finesse.

1 2 3 4 5 6 9

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Even with her +10 finesse, he's likely going to be able to beat 29. But she gathered those 9s earlier. She Flows the 9s from her river to join the existing 9 to give 9 9 9 = 39 before her +10 finnesse. The criminal goes to hurt the hostage to show he means business...and finds the knife being struck from his hand. Success.
>>
>>43563799
That 34 adds to his Damage bonus for a total of 49. The opponent spends 2 Chi for Chi Aura and gets to add his Toughness (just no Armor). He gets lucky and, with Toughness, achieves a result of 36.

The difference is 13, which is less than the opponent's Chi Threshold of 15, so he takes only a Minor injury condition from the attack.

On the start of the next round, Joe Xia has only 1 die left in his River, so he decides to Wash that die out during his initiative roll. He cannot Wash again this turn, but the River is empty for him to Float dice into it again.
>>
>>43544542
It's like Exalted.

Seriously right down to the mechanical flaws.
>>
>>43563460
>>43563799
>>43563833

I should add, you can only use River shenanigans when the roll is directly Opposed, not against a target difficulty.
>>
>>43563977

Like what? Legends of the Wulin isn't a perfect system, but the flaws are far, far less egregious than Exalted. It's a much stronger core system, and it's also easier to tweak it to make it work fantastically well, while Exalted barely breaks 'decent' even with all the houseruling you can find.
>>
>>43563978
And I'm wrong--partially. You can only FLOAT dice, which is the River action that makes a set you rolled bigger, like in >>43563815's post, on an opposed roll. Every other River action can happen elsewhere.
>>
>>43564038
Goddamn it I should really proofread my own idiocy.

Here, from the book:

You can float dice from unused sets into the >River from a roll made with the Lake, but not from other rolls. The roll needs to be opposed, meaning that it is competing with or against an appreciable difficulty.
>>
>>43563978
>>43564038

Sorta. The system could really do with some better wording.

For flooding:

>The roll needs to be opposed, meaning that it is competing with or against an appreciable difficulty.

Is the precise wording of it. The latter part implies that the restriction is supposed to be basically 'It needs to be notable' rather than 'it needs to be competing with someone' BUT that's not what an Opposed Roll is. An Opposed Roll is between two characters.

I'm assuming that it means 'It needs to be notable' for my example. So no farming dice from walking down the street. Sorry for the confusion this might have added.

LOTW is a system I dearly love but it desperately needed a better editor.
>>
>>43564138
The RAI is clear, editor or not.

"You can't just roll bullshit until you get a set of 9's and float them."
>>
>>43566156

Yeah, hence my assumption of 'It needs to be notable' rather than 'It needs to be opposed'. I feel it fits the RAI closer than 'It needs to be opposed'.

Disarming a bomb or leaping a wall after someone is not an opposed roll but it IS story driving. Two people idly playing go while they wait...not so much.
>>
>>43563788
>She's got 2 slots so she grab 2 of those 1s (With the last one getting left behind).

Wait, what? Where is the precedence for this? I have always been under the assumption that the *entire* set is put into your River.
>>
>>43567474

>You can float dice from unused sets into the River from a roll made with the Lake

It says that they hold dice, not sets so each slot holds only a single die.

It's part of the big advantage of higher rank. It lets you hold higher combinations without any of it being wasted.
>>
>>43563815
So at rank 4 you can only put a twenty in your river is what you're saying 2,2 3,3 etc. higher ranks you can store larger sets in your river, cool.

Now you can use those sets in your lake later and do additional effects right? You don't just have to use them for your main action correct?
>>
>>43567762

Point me to the page where an example creates precedence of this.
>>
>>43568035

>So at rank 4 you can only put a twenty in your river is what you're saying 2,2 3,3 etc. higher ranks you can store larger sets in your river, cool.

Correct. At rank 4, you can put a pair. At rank 3, a trio. At rank 2, a quartet.

>Now you can use those sets in your lake later and do additional effects right? You don't just have to use them for your main action correct?

Correct. They can be used to make secondary actions. A Fire Sutra person might want to use the dice for bringing out a nasty Fire attack rather than for punching someone in the face.

>>43568245

Of which part? That you can put part of a set into the river or that you store dice, not sets? Page 13 talks almost exclusively in terms of dice, not sets.
>>
>>43568245
>>43568309
Page 19 in the book.

>Starting characters have 20 Destiny that can only be spent on skills. They are still limited by Skill caps by Rank; in brief, Ranked characters Skills are capped at +5 per River die.

And since at chargen you can only have any given Skill to a max of +10, river slots hold individual dice, not whole sets.

QED
>>
File: 1402786453608.jpg (222 KB, 1024x724) Image search: [Google]
1402786453608.jpg
222 KB, 1024x724
>>43569632

WELL THEN.

That certainly makes the game less swingy than I thought it was. I've literally run games thinking that River slots stored sets. What a life.
>>
>>43570073
It's a picture-perfect example of the point raised here multiple times that the book needs one helluvan editing pass and rules codification/clarification. The passage I quoted requires cross-referencing that you can only have a bonus of +10 to a skill at chargen, which is Rank 4, which is River size of 2, etc. etc. etc. AND it's only located in the "quick chargen overview" section.
>>
>>43570073

LOTW has the worst editing known to man.

Well, ok. Not quite FATAL bad. Someone made sure the mechanics work.

But pretty damn bad. It's not really a surprise that it takes half a dozen people to puzzle out some things.

It's the main reason I'm sad there won't be a LOTW 2e. Less for mechanical changes (Though some would be good) and more for 'It takes less work to reach ACTUAL enlightenment than to work out how to play LOTW sometimes'
>>
File: 1423120782574.gif (44 KB, 354x236) Image search: [Google]
1423120782574.gif
44 KB, 354x236
>>43570259
Well how difficult would it be to compile a decently laid out rules document?

Maybe my boner is too mighty right now and I'm feeling ambitious, but wouldn't it be possible for us to write a "LotW quickstart", explaining mechanics and listing all the styles in a comprehensible manner?
>>
>>43570487

It would likely take a fair chunk of work. It wouldn't be impossible but it would require people being willing to team up and work together for a chunk of time.

The first step would be making sure everyone is on the same page with how the rules work in the first place.
>>
>>43570487

Literally the fourth post in the thread m8

>>43546115
>>
>>43570677
I read through that, but I figured a more in depth version would be nice.
>>
File: 1395755914107.jpg (180 KB, 962x680) Image search: [Google]
1395755914107.jpg
180 KB, 962x680
>>
Anyone actually in any LOTW games currently?

How are they going?
>>
>>43573563
Several, because the people I game with on IRC are obsessed with the system :)

One is going fine, been running a bit over a year and a half. Another goes in fits and starts, a third just started up about three weeks back, and there's a fourth in the works that I'm making a character for right now.
>>
File: 1436912830241.jpg (140 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1436912830241.jpg
140 KB, 900x600
>>
File: 1376117440687.jpg (120 KB, 627x885) Image search: [Google]
1376117440687.jpg
120 KB, 627x885
>>
Bump so thread lives until I get home
>>
>>43574710
incredibly jealous that you get to have 4 games and I'm only GMing 1

Also the dice that you save in your river, when you wash them out, are they added to the seven you would normally roll? So if you had a set saved, washed it out, your total pool for that action is 9 dice correct?

Also the whole wave thing is still strange to me, it seems like a delayed action that can be stopped, but only certain effects can be used as waves? Am I totally off the mark here?

Lastly what types of games would this system be good for mechanically? I don't think my group could really get into the fluff of the Wulin, but who knows maybe a parody style game
>>
>>43578171
Okay so.

Washing means the dice are just gone forever. You're thinking, probably, of Flowing, which lets you take dice out of your River and add them to pre-existing sets from your Lake. You can't ever increase the size of your Lake before it gets rolled--unless, of course, you have a technique of some sort that lets you do so (there are a couple of high-cost Internal kung fu techniques that let you increase your Lake size).

You are absolutely correct in that Waves are sort of delayed-effect actions. You set one up with a set on your Initiative roll and it completes when your turn begins. Your roll result from that Initiative roll is the difficulty for someone else to Break your Wave. Examples of waves: Covering Ground (switching which Zone you are in), Shaping (affecting the literal battleground in some way, like making the difficulty for Covering Ground into/out of your Zone harder), that sort of thing.

>What games is this system good for, mechanically?
Whatever the hell you want. I was briefly in one that used the default setting, I'm in one that uses it for high school martial arts shenanigans in a devastated, post-apocalyptic-ish area of China known colloquially as Hell, one is for a Kamen Rider game, one is the by-now infamous Nanohaverse magical girls game. And the one that's in the works is based on Dungeons: the Dragoning.

Basically, if your setting embraces high-action, high-drama gameplay, you can always refluff LotW for it--just beware that you'll probably have to rename the existing loresheets, or write your own for the setting.

Or take the lazy way and let players make their own :)
>>
>>43578171
>Also the dice that you save in your river, when you wash them out, are they added to the seven you would normally roll? So if you had a set saved, washed it out, your total pool for that action is 9 dice correct?

More or less correct. When you Flow sets into your roll, you're basically pulling dice out of your ass (IE the River) and saying they were in the dice pool you just rolled all along.

>Also the whole wave thing is still strange to me, it seems like a delayed action that can be stopped, but only certain effects can be used as waves?

I cross referenced a LOT of shit to try to get the Wave system better, but it basically boils down to this.

Waves are actions that can be physically stopped. If you try to kick open a door, destroy a pillar, catch a falling vase, or run across a room, the basic unifying question to ask is if someone else has a chance to stop you before you can finish doing that thing. If the action has a beginning (you rear back to kick/take a strong stance and begin to swing/reach out your arm/start to run) and an end (you finish the kick/the destructive swing/grabbing the vase/arriving at your destination), then it's a Wave. Waves can be opposed by people who take their turn in the round before you take yours. If it is opposed, that means they're doing something to interfere with you; they put up a set of dice against yours, and if they beat yours, they foil your efforts.

Waves are used for pretty much every "miscellaneous" action you can think of. It replaces damn near anything you'd use a Move Action for in d&d, for example. It's kept quite intentionally broad. Try looking at the Half Burnt Manual for examples on what Waves can look like.
>>
>>43578402
>:)

You're on 4chan you disgusting redditor, mind your etiquette.
>>
>>43578439
Oh right, I didn't insult someone's intelligence or insinuate (or outright state) they regularly consumed penises. My mistake.
>>
File: 1395786645251.jpg (854 KB, 1200x1697) Image search: [Google]
1395786645251.jpg
854 KB, 1200x1697
>>
File: 1395772668048.jpg (395 KB, 999x832) Image search: [Google]
1395772668048.jpg
395 KB, 999x832
>>
File: 1423472158157.jpg (544 KB, 722x1100) Image search: [Google]
1423472158157.jpg
544 KB, 722x1100
>>
File: 1405409529850.jpg (162 KB, 701x1000) Image search: [Google]
1405409529850.jpg
162 KB, 701x1000
>>
Alright for those who have played, what was your favorite character / who was the BBEG for the campaign?

Looking to bounce some ideas around because I might be GMing this for a few friends.
>>
>>43585009

I greatly enjoyed playing The Volcano Princess, an imperial heir who was somewhat looked down on for having a mixed bloodline- Her father being the son of a European noble house.

She used Fire and Earth chi to explosive effect, specializing in powerful and destructive shaping waves that let her change and obliterate the area she fought in. She used the Yellow Dragon Dance technique from the wiki, refluffed as forming weapons from molten stone, and once accidentally collapsed a whole building the other PCs were fighting in. It was fun times.
>>
>>43585009
I have two that are pretty much tied, so far. My doctor-archetype catgirl (she done fucked up earlier in life with a "this is a quick path to power" trick and ended up that way for her efforts) and my giant-friendship-laser magical girl.

Xiaozhi (the doctor) was pretty much my first long-term LotW character so her sheet STILL isn't 100% correct in places. She uses Shadow Catching and Jade Dragon (from the wiki) to be a speedy little ball of indestructibility.

Claire (the catgirl) is a character with whom I have a much better grasp of the rules. She also has far more advancement than Xiaozhi. She's responsible, in whole or in part, for managing to, if not outright convert, at least blunt the zeal of several inimical fighting types, and has basically helped win over almost the entire local presence of a hitherto "enemy" faction that turns out to have been manipulated by an enormous conspiracy.
>>
>>43585255

GM of that game: Unless I'm very wrong, Claire is a COURTIER, not a Catgirl.
>>
>>43585302
Haha yes. Courtier. I was distracted.
>>
>>43585452
>>43585302
Courtier with Wood Chi imbalance causing her to gain catgirl mutations is not that improbably though.
>>
>>43587798
That's how it worked for Xiaozhi.
>>
bump to keep alive~
>>
File: 1434477496192.jpg (147 KB, 736x1040) Image search: [Google]
1434477496192.jpg
147 KB, 736x1040
>>
File: 1439556437434.png (509 KB, 465x657) Image search: [Google]
1439556437434.png
509 KB, 465x657
>>
File: 1431864155820.jpg (190 KB, 600x757) Image search: [Google]
1431864155820.jpg
190 KB, 600x757
>>
File: 1422109897762.jpg (411 KB, 684x1000) Image search: [Google]
1422109897762.jpg
411 KB, 684x1000
>>
>>
File: 1445238641028.jpg (539 KB, 3600x2700) Image search: [Google]
1445238641028.jpg
539 KB, 3600x2700
>>
>>
File: 1445238881805.jpg (149 KB, 600x782) Image search: [Google]
1445238881805.jpg
149 KB, 600x782
>>
File: Chinese Warrior.png (1 MB, 662x975) Image search: [Google]
Chinese Warrior.png
1 MB, 662x975
How does LotW differ from Qin: The Warrior States or Weapons of the Gods?

I'm actually unfamiliar with all three but have wanted to play an Eastern-esque RPG for a long time
>>
>>43603802

The flags the actors carry on their backs in Chinese plays are symbolic in nature. They symbolize armies (since you can't fit 100000 men on stage).

No Chinese armor actually look anything near that.

But... I guess it would make a excellent Chinese magic summoner, using those flags as mediums to summon armies.
>>
>>43603802

Qin: The Warring States is a much more grounded system, where high level techniques are equivalent to the basic stuff a Legends of the Wulin character is capable of. It's a very good system for lower power or more historically focused games.

Weapons of the Gods is the direct predecessor to Legends of the Wulin, although general consensus is that LotW improves on it significantly. WotG had a lot of cool ideas but was unpolished and had a significant amount of fiddly bookkeeping and character creation unbalance. LotW still has some, but significantly less and generally works a lot more fluidly... Once you get past the godawful editing.
>>
File: Shaolin strength.jpg (438 KB, 1152x1424) Image search: [Google]
Shaolin strength.jpg
438 KB, 1152x1424
>lived in China over the summer
>didn't realize I was less than 2 hours from the Shaolin Temple for a week

I didn't comprehend the magnitude of my error until I met another expat in another city. He'd been there and said the whole city is full of martial arts temples and it's a common sight to see masters leading processions of students through the streets.
>>
>>43603917

That sounds pretty damn cool to see.
>>
>>43603917
That's an impressive stance, both from a strength perspective as well as a balance one.
>>
>>43587798

Man, the number of times I've seen Wood Imbalance be 'Guess who's got animal ears'...
>>
>>43608575

I mean, why not? Although Wood does have other potential effects, like being in a permanently good mood or being horny all the time.
>>
>>43603917
>didn't challenge the master of a temple to demonstrate the superiority of your style
ONE.
JOB.
>>
File: 1434518607553.jpg (226 KB, 900x1125) Image search: [Google]
1434518607553.jpg
226 KB, 900x1125
>>
File: 1445238647862.jpg (643 KB, 533x1138) Image search: [Google]
1445238647862.jpg
643 KB, 533x1138
>>
File: 1434096376383.jpg (385 KB, 800x638) Image search: [Google]
1434096376383.jpg
385 KB, 800x638
>>
File: 1420223688678.jpg (2 MB, 1066x1772) Image search: [Google]
1420223688678.jpg
2 MB, 1066x1772
>>
>>43603841
Oh sweet, thank you for the informative answer. So is there any reason to use WotG over LotW?
>>
>>43617891

I wouldn't say so, although I know some people who disagree. I personally can't see why, it might be familiarity or enjoying the slightly more unbalanced and crazy angle the system can take, but in my experience LotW manages to do the same thing but works a lot better.
>>
File: LOST BUDDHIST PALM.gif (971 KB, 500x206) Image search: [Google]
LOST BUDDHIST PALM.gif
971 KB, 500x206
at what point should characters be able to do something like this?

are there rules for it?
>>
>>43618248

One of the core book techniques is Iron Buddha's Disapproval. It's the highest core damage bonus (aside from Heaven's Lightning cheese) and causes long term crippling injuries. It wouldn't be the whole thing, but it's certainly a start.

As for doing that sort of stuff, honestly depends on the tone of your game. For Kung Fu Hustle, he's likely a Rank 2 Xia at that point, after having spent most of the game as an Autumn Blossom, a loresheet that you can take to make your character the sidekick/comic relief/joke, banking progression only to be revealed as a superpower later on.
>>
>>43618287

>Iron Buddha's Disapproval.

Known to most people as Buddha's Bitchslap
>>
File: 1445276992594.jpg (427 KB, 730x1300) Image search: [Google]
1445276992594.jpg
427 KB, 730x1300
>>
>>
>>43617891
Ez

You want to fork into a crunchier kung fu homebrew game.

I didn't find wulin fun and gods has my interest for various reasons

Namely: A more traditional damage system and the maneuvers system in Million Manual while not balanced makes groking out a design logic for internals easier for me than Wulin's half assed method.

layout is ass though and not helped by pages upon pages of short stories crammed into various sections. Which only furthers my hate against Borgstrom.
>>
>>43618248
The Transcendent Technique Buddha's Palm.

Combine it with Iron Buddha's Disapproval for maximum Fuck You if you want.
>>
>>43618287
>>43618323
>>43622743
I have seen Buddha's Bitchslap used on a piece of technology--specifically, a mecha--and it not only got Taken Out but the thing will take months and months of in-game time to repair. Which is bad news for the mostly-friendly-to-us pilot, but really illustrates just how obnoxiously brutal that technique is.
>>
File: 1431863739158.jpg (313 KB, 515x1569) Image search: [Google]
1431863739158.jpg
313 KB, 515x1569
>>
File: mmexport1440716611408.jpg (91 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
mmexport1440716611408.jpg
91 KB, 800x600
>>43619842
Reminds me of a pic I took with a Monkey King performer in Chengdu, pic related
>>
File: 1445238936858.jpg (684 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1445238936858.jpg
684 KB, 2560x1440
>>
>>43627641
It's a pagoda atop Great A'Tuin!
>>
>>
>>43625991
wow you guys are standing on the wall
>>
>>43629842

Lightfoot is awesome like that
>>
File: 20150725_152616x.jpg (1 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
20150725_152616x.jpg
1 MB, 2656x1494
>>43629842
No, that's just outside of the Dujiangyan Irrigation System in Chengdu, really far from the wall. Pic related is on the wall though, specifically Jiankou north of Beijing
>>
File: 1445239213414.jpg (185 KB, 1024x638) Image search: [Google]
1445239213414.jpg
185 KB, 1024x638
>>
File: 1403802533775.jpg (139 KB, 424x600) Image search: [Google]
1403802533775.jpg
139 KB, 424x600
>>
File: kungfu.jpg (16 KB, 540x303) Image search: [Google]
kungfu.jpg
16 KB, 540x303
>>
File: 1445248966326.jpg (49 KB, 736x999) Image search: [Google]
1445248966326.jpg
49 KB, 736x999
>>
>>43630127

Fucking Xia.
>>
File: 1397411541894.png (982 KB, 602x894) Image search: [Google]
1397411541894.png
982 KB, 602x894
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.