[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any thoughts on this game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: acceptable.png (109 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
acceptable.png
109 KB, 183x275
Any thoughts on this game?
>>
Fire: the Devouring is probably the least awful thing to come out of the NWoD.
>>
>>43531108
Fire: the Inferno was infinitely better and you know it.
>>
>>43531037
Honestly, I don't understand why it is you are burning it, it actually is somewhat enjoyable, especially if played with people you either know very well, or people you already don't really like. It is the ideal family game, because your family belongs to both categories.
>>
>>43531454
I'm pretty sure there are dissertations on why Monopoly is the worst board game.
>>
>>43531623
Probably written by commie faggots who hate the glorious game that is out-jewing your fellow man.
>>
>>43531037

Fire isn't a very fun game. They seem to have put a lot of thought into the visual appeal, but the gameplay is nonexistent to being practically ephemeral. It's a lot like Age of Sigmar, actually.
>>
>>43533465

Puts into perspective that guy burning his fantasy army. He wasn't protesting AoS, he was just converting his army.
>>
Flaming Monopoly really adds an element of interest in how intense it can get, but I find that the time limit makes me a little hot under the collar for a casual game.
>>
>>43531037
Ah yes arson, one of the most traditional of games
>>
>>43531623

It's not the worst. There are published games that don't even work.

Out of all the things you'd find in 90% of English speaking homes, though, it's probably the worst
>>
>>43534035

I suppose it's more destruction of property, but he is burning down a whole lot of neighborhoods, some utilities, and four railroads, so I guess it can be classed under arson.

>>43534043

It's popularity really cements it. There's games that don't work, but which one can you find fucking everywhere?
>>
File: you're gonna carry that $200.png (661 KB, 696x477) Image search: [Google]
you're gonna carry that $200.png
661 KB, 696x477
RIP in peaces MSGA
>>
>>43531037
Ah yes, a board game that simulates capitalism.

But noble denizens of /tg/, would you not rather play a board game that simulates playing a TCG? Truly, there is no game more traditional than that.
>>
File: landlords game.png (24 KB, 686x1078) Image search: [Google]
landlords game.png
24 KB, 686x1078
>>43533369
This is, in fact, correct.
Elizabeth Magie, who originally designed "The landlords game" in 1904, did so because she wanted a "practical demonstration of the present system of land grabbing with all its usual outcomes and consequences".

She then got an even more practical demonstration of capitalism when Parker Brothers bought her patent for $500 and laughed all the way to the bank.
>>
>>43531037
As a satire on turn-of-the-century Real estate barrons it's rightfully consider a classic. As ' fun for the whole family' however it must be admit it's sorely lacking. Less so for rewarding in-depth strategy and expert play. Not recommended.
>>
File: monopoly.jpg (831 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
monopoly.jpg
831 KB, 1536x1152
I've bought it last month for my gf brithday. No regrets, feels great to jew stuff you want form bitching ralatives/friends that are out of money.
>>
>>43531037
A work of pure evil where everyone tries to exhibit Trump-like behavior.
>>
>>43534043
>talking shit about Gale Force Winds
>>
>>43534080
>but which one can you find everywhere?
Ludo.
>>
File: 1435126921658.png (38 KB, 562x519) Image search: [Google]
1435126921658.png
38 KB, 562x519
>>43531037
Anti-capitalists are fucking hilarious to me. They're always hypocritical edgelords.
>>
>>43531037
kills as many friendships as mario party
>>
>>43531037
It's infinitely better and actually comes close to resembling fun if you actually play by the motherfucking rules and don't use the stupid Free Parking house rule.

All it does is make the game last goddam forever.
>>
Last time I played Monopoly was two years ago with my then-girlfriend and her family. I convinced her to sell me a particular low-rent property for about twice its value. I neglected to mention until after that it gave me the first monopoly of the game, and proceeded to bleed the table dry.

Her parents and brother actually yelled at her for it. Not me for making the dick-ass play, but her for enabling it. Monopoly is a fast-forwarded descent into the darkness of the human heart, and I do not recommend it to those who wish to keep their friends.
>>
Last time I played Monopoly, we had a house rule that if the land owner doesn't notice that you landed on their property, you don't have to pay them. They have until the next persona rolls the dice to ask you for money. Needless to say it ended badly and we haven't played in 3 years.
>>
>>43535729
God ecaflip you're such a cunt
>>
>>43531037
I've never finished a game. Everyone just gets bored and wants to do something else.
>>
>>43535729
pot calling the kettle black in action
>>
>>43537845
Do you understand what that phrase actually means? Because equating me to them when I've not even alluded to my own political affiliations is just silly.

Or did you just want to say "NO U" but not sound like the gibbering retard you are?
>>
>>43537894
>Because equating me to them when I've not even alluded to my own political affiliations is just silly
Not really. All the political standpoints are situated somewhere on the spectrum:
Insufferable assholes<--------------------Hypocritical bastards-------------------->Basement-dwelling retards

So, it's just about what type of a motherfucker you chose to identify as.
>>
>>43538046
>I can only categorize people into three groups

Do you have mental issues mate?
>>
>>43538052
First - it's not three groups, it's a spectrum with three points described.
Second - it does not categorize ALL the people. Only those with vocal political statements.
>>
>>43538146
And what vocal political statements did I make?

Oh wait.
>>
>>43535129
You can buy Krypton?
Look like a good investment...
>>
>>43538263
>And what vocal political statements did I make?

>Anti-capitalists are always hypocritical edgelords.
>>
>>43538555
>make a basic statement
>oh no that was politically charged

Found the anti-capitalist boys.
>>
Here's a few houserules I've started using.

>If you are the majority owner (or tied with the majority owner) of any color and you land on a square you don't own, you may force the player to sell it to you at the price they paid.

>If you land directly on Go, you may forgo the $200 and instead move to any square on the board.

>If you draw a chance or community chest card, a randomly-chosen or willing player is the one that pays you.

This makes money deplete much faster and monopolies show up much faster as well. It greatly speeds up the game and ensures that the only income you have is from passing Go.
>>
>>43535612
>Ludo
Never heard of it.
>>
>>43536247
With half-competent players there is no game end. It is written that way. Any victory conditions you have heard about are House Rules.

The best way to play Monopoly is on a game timer. Not a turn timer, but a time limit for the whole game. Count money when the alarm goes off, declare a winner, move on.
>>
>>43531037
this is the superior version
>>
>>43540301
Only if that is actually Talisman 2e and not more Monotony.
>>
File: Ultimate Monopoly.png (1 MB, 1927x1927) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate Monopoly.png
1 MB, 1927x1927
>>43540301
Not enough connections between layers.
>>
I've never won a game.

...which may tie in closely with the fact that I've never actually *finished* a game.
>>
>>43540285
>Get into lead by not buying a property in turn 1 when everyone else does
>Filibuster your turn 2 to stretch to the end of the game
It's only fractionally more likely to cause a family argument than playing the game properly.
>>
man, I wish I still had a pic of the monopoly board I made in highschool. The go-to-jail corner of the board was taken over by Russians. You needed to bribe a player called "the official" to get a special passport in order to move there, but if you landed on go to jail, all your money was distributed evenly among all players. But if you got a monopoly on the communist squares you could buy risk soldiers and invade other parts of the board.
>>
>>43542068
Now i want to make a communist equivalent of monopoly. Every still rolls for how many spaces you move but simultaneously but no faster then the slowest player. Everytime someone passes go, everyone gets $100 but all priceses increase by $10
>>
So why is Monopoly a bad game?

>>43541238
This looks fun.
>>
>>43531623
There's also a wonderful article I saw about how, because everyone is playing Monopoly WRONG, it has devolved into the worst board-game of all time.
>>
>>43545701
The most common houserule - common to the point that it's in some rulebook! - is to give money from the community chest to people who land on Free Parking.

The game ends when everyone except one player goes bankrupt.

Not to mention the also somewhat common houserule of ignoring auctions, meaning that you actually need to land on a spot to buy it.

Both these houserules are the spawn of the devil and turn an already not-so-great game into a steaming never-ending pit of agony.

Of course, there's problems with the game outside of that. It's already fairly slow, reliant on luck, and if you're eliminated then you don't really have much to do during the next few hours until the game ends.

And, of course, it's also an extremely antagonistic game - unlike some games where you want to get the most points, here you want to make your friends LOSE points. This is where the "Monopoly destroys friendships" meme comes from. It's nowhere near something like the backstabbing of Diplomacy, but it's still a game where the aim is to make your friends go bankrupt.

The un-houseruled game isn't that bad, to be honest. I'd still say that it's bad, and don't really want to play it, but it's not as bad as Free Parking No Auctions Monopoly.
>>
>>43545701
As general rule of thumb, if roll and move along a linear path is a core mechanic, it's a shit game.
>>
>>43536111
I'm pretty sure that's RAW, can someone confirm?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.