[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason to send ships with crews instead of just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: Starship Captains.png (790 KB, 681x729) Image search: [Google]
Starship Captains.png
790 KB, 681x729
Is there any reason to send ships with crews instead of just really big robots to explore space?
>>
>>43453500
Because it makes for a better story?
>>
>>43453500
Because robots are gay.
>>
because as human being is better at creative problem solving and creative thinking than any machine? Also because frankly thats no fucking fun.
>>
>>43453500

Pleasure.
>>
>>43453500
Wasn't true AI still not achieved in the trek verse. Wasn't that the point of Data?
>>
Nigga didn't you ever watch Alien. Or 2001?
>>
>>43453551
>because as human being is better at creative problem solving and creative thinking than any machine?

Any current machine. Not an advanced one from the future.

>inb4 hurr durr but muh humanity and its ineffable intuitive qualities

Look, with enough processing power and date a computer can just bruteforce that shit a thousand times faster.
>>
Dune does it best. Humans tried to create AI and realized it was Too Difficult. Any sufficiently intelligent machine would just minmax its poorly defined utility function and fuck shit up for humans.

After a bitter war, humans somehow come out ahead (or just move far enough away?) and ban AI tech, relying on biotech to make humans (mentats) that replace the intelligent machines.
>>
>>43453551
He said explore, not colonize or mine. Sending ftl probes to scout and map space is a way better idea than using large expensive ships with hundreds of people and tons of equipment.

Replacing a probe is easy, replacing a ship is not. Also with probes you can use the data they collect to later send ships directly to the locations you know have something worthwhile.
>>
Because people wish to see what is being explored for themselves, and are much better at first contact with other races.

Computers in star trek for instance have their own weaknesses, like humans. The most rational solution is to send both, to supplement each other. In star trek they have a crew of humans supplemented by computers which do a lot of the heavy lifting. But artificial intelligence in star trek sometimes has difficulty breaking from patterns they have been taught. For instance in Voyager when the Doctor assumed the role of a command hologram he only replicated tactics used in battles he has been programmed with, and relies on ensign kim to develop new strategies.

Since both humans and robots have their strength and weaknesses (human error is rife in the trek) the rational solution is to send both, which is more or less what they do in star trek. With human crews supplemented by the main computer, and the occasional robot (The Doctor, Data, moar holograms) to do heavy lifting.
>>
>>43453694

>"The target of the Jihad was a machine-attitude as much as the machines," Leto said. "Humans had set those machines to usurp our sense of beauty, our necessary selfdom out of which we make living judgments. Naturally, the machines were destroyed."

I always thought that the Butlerian Jihad was people realizing they had just become a kind of peripheral device for thinking machines that made all the real decisions, and deciding that violence was the best way of reasserting the self.

But then, I also think that I'm one press release about an internet enabled toaster that syncs to your iPhone and displays ads away from moving to a shack in the woods somewhere and writing manifestos. So YMMV.
>>
>>43453955
Makes me emotional whenever I think about it. Admitting that my humanity is less important than the advancement of intelligence feels Inhuman. Ethics NEEDS some human component, or I just stop caring.
>>
>>43453500
Picard and Sisko are the only rational responses to that pic.

Also, humans are more adaptable than machines, AI that can match human intelligence is super hard to make and also dangerous.
>>
>>43453500
>no Malcolm Reynolds
Dropped.
>>
>>43453500
So, in other words, Stargazer Gundam.
>>
>>43454798
I think by the time you get to AI that can match humans the line between the two will be blurred so much you couldn't tell the difference.
>>
>>43454798
Janeway lost extremely few people, and every career she touched turned into solid gold-pressed latinum. You have to respect a captain that can think in multiple time references and pull torpedoes out of nullspace.

Plus she plays into my mommy issues so well. Va va voom, Ms. Mulgrew!
>>
>>43456537
Really thought I'd enjoy voyager up until the third or fourth episode. The whole interaction between Janeway and the native american captain about spirit animals... I couldn't handle it. Completely unimmersed me.
>>
>>43454798
>not wanting John "Nuke em" Sheridan
>>
>>43453694
and 40k which ripped-off Dune did that too but almost got exterminated from said AI
>>
>>43453500
I don't really care die or not, it's Captain Kirk for me. Cause lusty space babes.
>>
>>43456781
>>43456537
Reminder that Janeway and Chakotay were originally going to be Riker and Ro Laren.

God, that would've been so much better.
>>
File: 6789237_orig.png (521 KB, 1100x652) Image search: [Google]
6789237_orig.png
521 KB, 1100x652
Science fiction fans relate more to human beings than to silicon chips. Aerospace combat fans want to read about hot-shot Top Gun fighter pilots, not The Adventures of Droney, the unmanned combat aerial vehicle.
>>
>>43458170
I never rally liked Riker. The second to worst of the TNG main cast.
>>
Helps get anyone who's violent and adventurous away from the civilized people and cultural centres so they can't do much harm/take it out on aliens.
>>
More or less the same reason we don't genetically augment ourselves.

Because the one time we tried, it killed a freighter full of people and the only reason it didn't rampage across the galaxy is because its creator convinced it to commit suicide.
>>
>>43457487
>40k which ripped-off Dune
40K is one-third Dune, one-third Starship Troopers, and one-third Judge Dredd.

They've never had an original idea, ever.
>>
>>43453500
Yeah, there is. It's because those people want to explore space in person.
>>
>>43453500
Braggin' rights.
>>
>>43454798
>Not joining based Adama
>>
>>43453500
>Is there any reason to send ships with crews instead of just really big robots to explore space?

None whatsoever. Robots are much better and more cost-effective at exploring space, and will continue to be so until we can find a way around the FTL barrier.

As far as entertainment is concerned? Hell no, because no one would watch that show or play that game.
>>
>>43453500
Ships are a means to an ends. Like cars. wouldn't it be easier to send robots to live your lives, go to work for you, spend money for you, engage in hobbies for you?
It might be but it would defeat the purpose of living.

People live, they work , they travel, they investgate. A starship is just a way for people to carry out their lives, be it trading, running from the law, following orders, or a bit of everything. The starship is like your car. Robots can be part of your crew, and indeed any decent captain should have a few drones or repair bots around for disposable scouting, repairs, etc.

Robots should be cheap, replaceable units that supplement peoples lives. Starships aren't expendable (unless you're very rich) and so you wouldn't trust a robot to run your vessel and do your trading, fight your battles and run from your fights.
>>
File: STUltimate_Computer.jpg (9 KB, 260x195) Image search: [Google]
STUltimate_Computer.jpg
9 KB, 260x195
>>43453500
Because every 20 years for TWO FUCKING CENTURIES some retard thinks, "Hey, I've figured out why every single time we try a fully automated ship it goes on a murderous rampage.", that retard gets funding and they slap the latest computer on a warship and then it goes on a murderous rampage.

Every. Single. Time.

And you can bet 20 years later someone will go "Hey, I've figured out why every single time we try a fully automated ship it goes on a murderous rampage." because people are incapable of learning from past events.
>>
>>43453500
Yes. There is a reason - it's unprofitable. Space is fucking unprofitable, ergo, we will never do a space exploration. We stuck on Earth.
>>
>>43459324
>space
>unprofitable
Kek
>>
File: OCaptainMyCaptain.png (1 MB, 1538x758) Image search: [Google]
OCaptainMyCaptain.png
1 MB, 1538x758
Can I post this image again, just to be an asshole?
>>
>>43453591
>enough processing power
You really have no idea, do you? Brute force approaches are TERRIBLE for a reason, even in computing, and the amount of power you need is utterly ridiculous. Anything remotely plausible would need to use heuristics just like humans do.
>>
>>43454097
That's because ethics and morals are a human creation. Of course it feels inhuman without them, because you know deep down that humans are a single proton in a hydrogen atom in a water molecule in an incomprehensibly vast ocean and pretty much all of it doesn't subscribe to "Humanity Weekly".

It IS a scary thought.
>>
>>43458187
I really appreciate Macross establishing early on that Strong AI is a big no-no so that we can hamfistedly keep our hot-blooded pilots. At least their inertial dampening tech gets better with each iteration.
>>
>>43459324
Space is only unprofitable without a minimum technological buy-in. Once we can mass process materials in space and drag asteroids from the belt, we've achieved that minimum investment.

From there it's on to mining the gas giants and making solar power stations close to the sun. Both of which require their own minimum investments.
>>
>>43453582
You know, if the Nostromo had been an unmanned probe, they'd have avoided a lot of problems. Or even if they'd sent a rover down to investigate rather than people.

>egg hatches
>it tries to face-hug a machine
>alien embryo starves to death
>>
File: jabba meme.jpg (290 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
jabba meme.jpg
290 KB, 768x432
>>
>>43462308
Didn't feel a fucking thing
>>
>>43462118
>egg hatches
>it tries to face-hug a machine
>the machine hides the embryon and takes it home
>puts it in a drink and offers it to a human just because
>>
>>43459073
Which one?
>>
>>43460216
Most of those aren't space captains.
>>
File: Galactic Crunch.jpg (92 KB, 658x394) Image search: [Google]
Galactic Crunch.jpg
92 KB, 658x394
>>43463367
Well, 3/4ths of them are captains that have been to space.
>>
>>43453500
It's easier to make more humans, and we have plenty already.
>>
>>43463305
Modern one.
He just gets shit done.
>>
Advanced AI needs a human crew to distract itself from self-termination.
>>
File: Seriously.jpg (13 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
Seriously.jpg
13 KB, 259x195
>>43470824
This checks out.
>>
>>43460591
>the amount of power you need is utterly ridiculous

Quantum computing with a 10km cubed volume of computronium, bitch. Are you really going to tell me that couldn't bruteforce human creativity faster than the human brain does it? Please.

Or are we pretending that computers are only ever going to get a tiny bit faster and that humanity's interstellar age will be just like today only with spaceships?
>>
>>43453500
>Is there any reason to send ships with crews instead of just really big robots to explore space?
Because the exploration ship that has been travelling for five years at the speed of light has just made contact with aliens. Do you really want it to just sit there for a decade while it waits for its signal to reach Earth and get a reply? Fuck no.

You're gonna want some human diplomats around to negotiate with the aliens. Also, the ship may encounter unknown phenomena that could not be pre-programmed into a computer, so a few scientists should be sent along. And you'll need various support staff. And before you know it, you've got a whole crew.
>>
>>43453500
There's no replacement for being there.
"I was there" is one of the surefire ways to establish authority.
The significance of human presence is so great that the presence of another human can ease emotional suffering. There's a reason it's called "being there for someone".
>>
>>43471217
>10km cubed volume of computronium
>implying we'd ever manage to scrape together enough unobtanium to make even 1mm cubed of the stuff

be realistic, anon
>>
>>43453500
I don't recognize most of those.
I like 3x2 for some reason.
2x1 looks alright.
1x1 is kinda sexy.

File 3x1, 2x2, 4x2, and 4x3 under 'maybe'.
>>
>>43453500
Commander Shepard because none of his men die, except for that first guy who was an idiot.
>>
>>43453500
Because it's not yours if you don't have a person to plant a flag on it.

The Chinese planted a flag on the moon with their rover. Guess what? They still are 50 years behind America on moon-flags planted. India could land a hundred rovers by the end of the year. Congrats, we put men there.

Which sounds more impressive? Chucking robots at it or putting two men on it, filming it for the world to see, driving on it, planting flags, then bringing them back home?
>>
>>43471217
>what is economics
>>
>>43453500
How Else Can Humanity Dick what has never been dicked before?
>>
>>43475372
Presly does.
>>
>>43475372
Everyone dies in the "best" ending, because everyone is absorbed into a machine consciousness of dubious trustworthyness.

Fuck bioware.
>>
>>43471217
That doesn't seem very efficient. Why spend that much money and resources trying to brute force a human's creativity when you could just hire a human for a billionth of the cost?
>>
>>43462308
Didn't 4chan invent this kind of trolling?
>>
>>43453500
Is there any reason to send dudes to the Moon or Mars? Is there any reason to go abroad, when you can just look at pictures of foreign places? Is there any reason to meet people face to face, when you can chat online?

Losers whine about logic, winners go home and fuck the blue alien queen.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.