[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Some knights of the realm hear about Drow scum having set
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13
File: Saint.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Saint.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1200
>Some knights of the realm hear about Drow scum having set up an outpost near the surface from where they plan to organize raids from
>Deus Vult
>In the aftermath of the assault on the Drow outpost, a knight finds out a newborn Drow baby
>Can't kill an infant, even though it's a vile Drow, tells the less scrupulous members to fuck off
>Can't raise the Drow himself, but finds a Halfling couple willing to raise it
>Drow grows up with loving halfling parents, hears their stories about brave knights and paladins
>Chooses to become a Paladin
>Becomes a worshipper of Pelor/Sarenrae/Whatever good sun-deity there is in your setting
>Becomes a Paladin
>Uses a bow/crossbow

Is this a shitty character idea? Also, post paladins and holy types. I guess you can also discuss if killing orc (Drow) babies is cool if you're a Paladin.
>>
>>43442221
> Paladin
> Ranged Weapon

I'm a sucker for these.
>>
>>43442221
>Drow
>Good
If your GM is okay with Drizzt, go for it.

If he's not, burn it like the plague.
>>
>>43442221
>dazzled in sunlight
>>
>>43442646

I was thinking I'd pass out on certain Drow racial abilities, but also Sun Sensitivity. Lose natural spellcasting, but lose being dazzled in sunlight as well, courtesy of living an entire life on the surface.
>>
>>43442646
>fights with a battle parasol
>>
>>43442221
It's the most genetic origin for a not!evil drow there is. You may as well name your character Tzzrid at this point.
>>
I'm not normally one to jump on the killing evil species' babies is okay bandwagon (it's not) but there's more of an argument for doing it with drow than with the stereotypical orc IMO.

A drow kid has a longer development than a human child, so morally/intellectually may be equivalent to a human adult rather than a human baby. Also the drow are really, really evil. Like orcs are in many ways victims of circumstance but drow are just completely vile. If you were alone and incapacitated with drow children they would 100% torture and kill you.
>>
>>43442776
>elegant drow mistress who fights in a dress using a parasol and hip checks
Now this character I'd play.
>>
>>43442791
>twist is he's actually still evil
>>
>>43442776
>>43442799
So a Drow member of the Yata clan?
>>
>>43442799
>parasol is made of flayed skins
>>
>>43442791

Well, I think it's better than "I was raised by Drow but I'm not actually evil because reasons", at least there's a valid case of nature vs nurture there. I don't really see how you can do it any other way than "not evil 'cause" and "wasn't raised by Drow."
>>
File: smite all the evil.jpg (295 KB, 1066x918) Image search: [Google]
smite all the evil.jpg
295 KB, 1066x918
>>43442221
>Can't kill an infant
You got to Smite ALL the evil.
>>
Make him "chaotic good'ish" rogue with mental issues from being an outsider. Rogue cause he likes to avoid sun.
>>
>>43442834
>non divine casters and under 5 hit dice don't detect as evil
>>
>>43442946

Rogues gtfo, Paladins rule. DEUS VULT, PRAISE THE SUN
>>
File: Damngood.gif (2 MB, 533x300) Image search: [Google]
Damngood.gif
2 MB, 533x300
>>43443139
YES BROTHER, YES!
>>
>>43442461
>>43442791
>lol Drizzt

Don't be retarded.

Drizzt was raised by drow but just magically ended up good. That's very very different from a character being raised by non-typical parents and therefore not being like the rest of their race.

You seem to think the problem with Drizzt is that he's good aligned. It's not.
>>
>>43442221
I like the idea. May be not the most original, but I'd definitely let this fly in my game.
Just don't pull a feminist/vegan/crossfitter and announce that you're a drow within 20 seconds of meeting a new person.
>>
>>43443393

I'd think that considering all the horror stories about Drow and being a Paladin, the character wouldn't really go around announcing that they're one. And if anyone asks, they'll be like "I was raised on the surface, and I'm a Paladin. That's all that matters."
>>
>>43442221
>Some knights of the realm hear about Drow scum having set up an outpost near the surface from where they plan to organize raids from
>Deus Vult
>In the aftermath of the assault on the Drow outpost, a knight finds out a newborn Drow baby
>Can't kill an infant, even though it's a vile Drow, tells the less scrupulous members to fuck off
>Can't raise the Drow himself, but finds a Halfling couple willing to raise it
>Drow grows up with loving halfling parents, hears their stories about brave knights and paladins
>Chooses to become a Paladin
>Becomes a worshipper of Pelor/Sarenrae/Whatever good sun-deity there is in your setting
>Becomes a Paladin
>Uses a bow/crossbow
>Original paladin that found Drow baby goes there and kills the now adult Drow.
>Deus vult.

It's the best character idea, OP.
>>
>>43443578
9/10 would smite evil with.
>>
>>43443578

>no one remembers sandwich
>>
>>43442832
You mean like Sandwich, the le ebin DORF drow /tg/ made up years ago with the exact same backstory as yours?
>>
>>43443196
>Drizzt was raised by drow but just magically ended up good
He was good because his daddy done raised him wrong to fight the matriarchy and his female handler was an inexperienced priestess that was too soft as well as because he has the autisms
>>
>>43442221
Of course not, just remember that there's nobody more fanatic than a convert
>>
>>43442828
And the metal frame is fashioned to look like spider legs
>>
>>43444312
>liking shitty meme fetish waifus
>>
>>43442221
>Can't kill an infant

Why not? Is there a rule that says you are not allowed? My ranger would probably do it.
>>
>>43442221
I can dig it. Ranged paladins are cool but the rules don't support them. If I were your DM, I'd houserule ranged Smite Evil or something.
>>
>>43445458
>parasol's lower half actually splits into mechanical spider legs so it can follow you around and shade you outside of combat
>>
>>43445488
Do you just hate /tg/?
Why are you here then?
>>
>>43446386
He's a braindead cumstain, that's wrong with him. Stop trying to argue with those.
>>
>>43442221
Perfectly fine. Not everyone is a caricature of their racial/social stereotypes. Some people, sometimes even people who are devout followers of a religion or ideology, will go against the grain of what would be considered normal just because they are that way inclined.

Hell, sometimes people will act against the grain just because they are having a particularly bad/good day and it makes them feel slightly better.

Mythology and real world history is full of this sort of thing. Sometimes people just act in inexplicable ways.
>>
>>43445538
>but the rules don't support them
Which rules are you talking about? Pathfinder has no such exceptions.
>>
>>43445414
Nah, Drizzt didn't get drow culture even before kinda cool dad started schooling him. He and his dad with inherently speshul and good and simply did not jive with the drow life.

It's implied that his sister was like this too, but she'd just had more time to have all the hope and optimism slowly drained out of her by the unrelenting shittiness that is drow culture.
>>
>>43446386
what, is not liking your waifu mean he can't be part of the club? Sandwich is a joke, and not a very good one. If you like it, fine, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us have to too.
>>
>>43445389

I've no idea who that is.

>>43445446

That's the plan. Unshakable faith in their chosen god, tempered by zealous conviction and a hint of smite-happy fanaticism. Thought about making the character loathe Drow even more than normal people. Maybe take a level of Ranger to get the Favored Enemy.

>>43445521

Good-aligned characters usually don't murder babies.
>>
>>43442221
Remember that paladins do not choose, they are chosen. All they can dons answer the call to Valor if and when it comes. It's possible that drow lived a century or more as a farmer, and only got the call perhaps after burying his parents out by the old apple tree after they quietly passed away in their sleep at the rope age of 150.

Alternately, his father tries to get him a job in the City Watch, and he leaves with an unremarkable sword, a hopelessly out of date manual, and a protective.
>>
>>43445864
>the pointed tip of the parasol is filled with actual giant spider venom from the Underdark
This is becoming some kinda drow version of Princess Peach's Smash incarnation mixed with the Penguin and I love it.

In fact, she should also have a gaggle of slaves to attend to her every need and take shots for her like Peach and her toads
>>
>>43447677
>I've no idea who that is.
Look it up on 1d4chan. Literally the same idea as your Speshul Snowflake right down to becoming a paladin, just with more dorfwank
>>
>>43442461
>Drow
>Good
>automatically Drizzt
No. Drow's alignment is "Usually neutral evil". Usually, according to the book, means "more than 50%". Yet you referring to them as "Always evil" - i.e. born with it and almost (still "almost") never "good". This is wrong.
>>
>>43447897

Why is it a snowflake? There is a reasonable explanation for not being evil and it's not like the character has purple hair and red eyes or something. Or are half-orc wizards and elf barbarians also snowflakes?
>>
>>43448425
>it's not like the character has purple hair and red eyes
Red eyes are a standard drow trait, actually.
>>
>>43448469
That wasn't his point and you know it.
>>
>>43447764

I imagine that the character would have at some point in their childhood visited the knight who first found them, and asked to become their squire, or squire for another knight in their order. Depends if knights are synonymous with Paladins or just feudal titles in the setting.
>>
>>43448425
>Or are half-orc wizards and elf barbarians also snowflakes?
Hit the nail on the head more or less, that's all that anon is whining about
>>
>>43448425
/tg/ has the tendency to sperg out over 'special snowflake' characters, because (afaik) the anon willing to create a convoluted and interesting backstory for their character would want to inexorable take center stage in the group (that is focus ALL the attention on his character) so he could show off even more how special and interesting his charakter is. And some 'waifus/special snowflakes' are just made so the player can wank under the table.

Imo if you can play the character without being a total dick about how good and helpful and totally more awesome than the rest of the party is, it's okay. If not, well, you are that guy playing a special snowflake.

tl;dr: player invests time in charakter -> wants this to be seen -> inevitably supplants other charakters -> player invests more time -> ad infinitum
>>
>>43449177

Suppose that's understandable. Though I'm thinking of making the Drow Paladin to be very much on the sidelines and be a quiet type of guy, who only talks when he has something important to say. Not a loner or an edgy emo Drow, but just a person who prefers to inspire by actions and deeds rather than words.
>>
>>43448425
Because it's a contrived series of events to turn a normally CE creature into a lawful good piece of shit just do you can be the world's only drow paladin.
>>
Sandwich pt 2?
>>
>>43442221
Drows are irritated by sunlight. They aren't damaged but hate the feeling. So basically it would work if you play him as being punished by his ancestors' sins or something. It would actually make the most sense to play for a good drow because people might trust him more if they know this little fact.

>If he were not devoted to the Light, why would he bask in it?
>>
>>43449399
So the gleam of his dagger blinds you before it sinks into your throat.
>>
>>43449331

Drow aren't CE, and it's not that contrived.

>>43449399

At least PF allows for Drow variants that aren't dazzled by sunlight. Dunno what we're gonna play yet, so if it's 5th, I'll ask if I can give up Drow spellcasting to also get rid of sunlight sensitivity.
>>
>>43449399
>>43449501

Although, now that I think of it, being still dazzled by sunlight while being devoted to it sounds kinda cool.
>>
>>43449501
It's not contrived, it's full on retarded due to the questions your faggy origin story raises.

-Why was there a baby at a military outpost?
-Why did the drow have a military outpost to begin with when drow prefer small raiding parties and that's IF they even choose to get their hands dirty instead of just manipulating some nearby orcs/goblins/etc into doing their dirty work for them.
-If the outpost wasn't a military one, then they were settlers, making the Paladad into a butcher of a blackguard.
>if the first reaction to a drow is "don't ask questions and kill on sight", then how is your surfs drow even alive? Who would even harbor such a - in your own words - vile creature?
-Why does the drow hold no resentment towards the society that PROUDLY AND GLEEFULLY SLAUGHTERED HIS PARENTS WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT TO THE MATTER, dooming him to the life of an eternal outsider no matter where he goes abs why would he want to follow in the footsteps of such a man?

I'll admit the last one is a bit of my personal bias, but with how you spend your entire greentext describing drow as less than vermin that ought to be executed for the mere crime of existing, I don't see how the adopted drow would feel very comfortable in that society, much less idolize the man who literally plucked him from the cradle after killing hid parents.

Just replace every mention "paladin" and "Drow" in the OP with "Nazi" with "Jew" and you should see what I mean.
>>
>>43449867

Dunno. Maybe they were going to make a permanent forward outpost to raid and shit, and didn't expect a counterattack. Brought civilians with the soldiers. It's not the point and thus not central.

The character wouldn't be an outcast. Sure, they'd have been bullied as a kid and stuff, but having been raised by foster parents in an environment the Drow haven't been seen all that often, the bias wouldn't be all that huge. Of course after the character was old enough to ask questions, they'd realize how Drow are evil bogeymen and stuff, further alienating them from the Underdark Drow.

It's more like if Americans had found the child of a Nazi general when going through Germany and given it to be raised by the Swedish, or something.
>>
>>43449867
What sort of shitty paladins do you play that you can compare their reaction to an lnnocent baby to that of the Nazis finding a Jew?
>>
>>43447832
>In fact, she should also have a gaggle of slaves to attend to her every need and take shots for her like Peach and her toads
They're not slaves, they're new to the surface and give their life because every they think the reason she doesn't have a day of the week to beat each of them and let's them heal when they get stabbed by the parasol is because they give their lives so willingly and she thinks the reason they are willing to risk their lives to save hers and new ones will to fight to be added to the group if she try's to send them away is that they're gentlemen.
>>
>>43450078
>Maybe they were going to make a permanent forward outpost to raid and shit
Again, for what purpose?
>didn't expect a counterattack.
These are DROW. They expect their own siblings to stab them when they're not looking and you're telling me they didn't plan for getting caught?
>Brought civilians
There are no drow civilians. You're either a drow and thus spend your whole life fighting (and even your time in the womb mako shark style, according to some lore) or you're one of their slave races. So I guess you've got a good origin story for a goblin paladin, but not a drow one. Secondly, that's mean your precious paladin is once again a senseless butcher of innocent civilians and thus not a paladin at all.
>It's not the point and thus not central.
It's the cornerstone of the concept. If you can't explain why a fucking infant is in a military complex then the idea is shit.
>wouldn't be an outcast.
I find that hard to believe when the first reaction to them was going full on genocide while waking yourself to DEUS VULT and other gay HFY buzz phrases
>having been raised by foster parents in an environment the Drow haven't been seen all that often, the bias wouldn't be huge
So you found the magical spot of land with zero bias against drow - yet is good friends with Luther "Kill all Underdarkies" Sunhammer who made his name on genociding drow - to raise him on and then the second he sets foot out of the Not!Shire, suddenly everyone's racist again? Because THAT fucking makes sense.
>like if Americans had found the child of a Nazi general when going through Germany
No, it isn't. Ignoring the fact that you missed the entire point of my last statement, your attempt to twist the metaphor would imply that the paladin was marching on the drow homeland. You said the outpost was on the surface, yet had kids in it for some fucking reason (or rather a single baby which makes even less sense), which is completely different from "rescuing" an orphan in a war torn homeland.
>>
>>43450257
That's boring. I'd rather see her use a goblin as a meat shield and then beat someone with his dying body.
>>
No you can't play non-evil drow, that's kinda like drizzt and he's bad so you're bad.

/thread
>>
>>43450355

Could just as well be a bastard of a slave from some subjugated rival Drow clan a guy tool along for lulz when they went to set up their outpost. There are a dozen explanations, it's still not the point and not all that interesting. Likewise, Drow aren't infallible. Is it really the point? Not in my opinion. Would you have trouble with an Orc Paladin? A Dwarf Warlock? A Tiefling Cleric of Pelor?
>>
>>43450468
Drow don't take drow prisoners/slaves. You're either an asset for a later scheme or dead.
>There are a dozen explanations
All of them progressively more contrived than the last.
>Is it really the point?
You asked if your origin was shitty and I told you yes and why it was. If you don't want feedback and would rather a mindless hugbox, try tumblr or something
>>
>>43450581

They don't? I distinctly remember reading how they are slavers. Or since there is no Drow civilians either, who builds their dwellings, makes their cloths, shoes, swords, art, carpentry and stonework? I'm also fairly sure an economy like theirs cannot be sustained on hunter-gathering alone, so they would need farmers or livestock of some sort. And they use currency, so that implies merchants. Am I wrong?
>>
>>43449299
Understandable were it not a ridiculous overreaction.

>>43449299
Talk is cheap is all and good, but you need to be sure to make yourself welcome in the party some way or another. The most obnoxious games to me are when everyone starts off by having no business with each-other and everyone has to bullshit as to why a bunch of misaligned assholes are risking their lives for each-other.
>>
>>43450662
>They don't?
Drow are too dangerous to keep as slaves. Goblin slaves are plebty, but you only leave a member of a rival House alive to use them in a later plot of your own.
>who builds their dwellings
Combination of magic and slaves. Mostly slaves.
>makes their cloths, shoes, swords, art
>carpentry
Nobody since trees don't grow underground, idiot
>stonework
>they use currency
Mostly they just curry favors back and forth like some sort of fucked up credit system. Also slaves.
>>
>>43450780

So Drow have enough wizards around to sit around doing Mending all day long? Okay. If that's plausible, then it's also plausible for a Drow military force to have concubines or pleasure slaves around, since civilians don't exist.
>>
File: Draegloth_wizards.jpg (79 KB, 400x509) Image search: [Google]
Draegloth_wizards.jpg
79 KB, 400x509
>>43442221
I played a drow paladin, oath of vengeance. He was reformed after being captured in a failed raid on the surface. His major goal was to kill/seal Lolth, the Demon Queen of Spiders, so he could reform drow society.

He failed. Got killed fighting off 5 of pic related while his party were trying to solve some insane dungeon puzzle. The only survivor of the party was the wizard who figured out the riddle at the last second. The wizard then retired and went into exile to contemplate his failure. We started a new campaign in the same setting after that.
>>
>>43442791
My true neutral drow simply wants to be popular, and powerful and can't achieve that in the underdark as a male. So he simply look for fortune on the surface.
>>
>>43450257
I'm not sure I can even parse this.
>>
>>43449331
>everything I don't like is a speshul snowflake

Enjoy your unbroken succession of 6'1 male human fighters with a military background you colossal faggot
>>
>>43450921

That's what surface elves (and humans, you sick deviant) are for. Surface elves are still considered quite dangerous, hence all the restraints and whips.
>>
>>43450921
>So Drow have enough wizards around to sit around doing Mending all day long?
And slaves
>If that's plausible, then it's also plausible for a Drow military force to have concubines or pleasure slaves around
Which would also be armed/trained to kill and not allowed to get pregnant since if one got pregnant not only would that mean the House Matron has to deal with yet another potential claim to her power, but any other Drow pleasure slaves would kill the pregnant one in her moment of weakness since that's how drow do.

Of course, that assumes the preposterous idea of females not ruling over the males as well as men not being forced to murder all day long before being claimed by any female who wants to at any time.

The idea of drow devoted only to pleasure when ALL drow already devote themselves to self-gratification AND murder is kinda full on retarded
>since civilians don't exist.
You seem to be confused on what I meant by that. Drow aren't some kinda Klingon all war all the time we all soldiers race, they're more of what happens when you take Shadowrun and plunk it on a genetic fantasy land and then crank the paranoia and backstabbing to 11.

That's why the idea of an unattended child is so fucking retarded. The effort a drow goes through to survive pregnancy is fucking ridiculous and to risk pissing all that hard work away at a simple fucking surface raid is beyond the already retarded premise of an infant brought alongside a raiding party
>>
>>43451513
Jarlaxle is a pretty cool dude, yeah.
>>43451770
>reduction go the absurd
Okay.

Make no mistake, I have zero issue with a drow paladin, I just find this particular origin story stupid and contrived.
>>
>>43453179
Unless the raid is because the matrons power seems to be weaning and she decided a raid while bringing her infant is how she would show that she is still powerful.
>>
>>43453292
If a Matron ever leaves the city, she's pretty much already ceded her power over to the Houses nipping at her heels. That's like announcing that you're going for a three month vacation and leaving all your doors unlocked and wide open while leaving in Detroit

Personally overseeing a routine raid is, once again, beyond retarded for a Drow Matron.
>>
>>43453179

They wouldn't the other slave if she was pregnant, because that would mean they killed the propertu of their owner which would be much more dangerous.

You also said earlier that Drow have no civilians, but now they do? Make up your mind.

There are Drow that aren't ruled by women. Even in FR.

Look, I don't really care about the details of how the character ends topside as a kid to be fostered. It's not the point and not very interesting since it most likely will never come up. If it's implausible, tell me what WOULD be plausible then.
>>
>>43453526
He's just looking for something to argue about
>>
>>43442221
>>Can't kill an infant, even though it's a vile Drow
You don't seem to understand how "Deus Vult" works.
>>
>>43456717

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKQYZUU63QM
>>
>>43442646
>My parents were kind people. They knew my weakness, and took great pains to protect me, so I might live a normal childhood. The day they adopted me, they planted dozens of trees around our house, and up and down the streets of our village. The shade would protect me, that I would never feel a prisoner in our home. They were gentle that way.
>My first real memory though, was the day I stepped forth from the shade they offered me. Through the leaves, the sun was a warm, comforting thing. But it did not prepare me for the light. Pale gold filled my vision until I could barely see. Hot shivers rippled through my skin. A heat hissed through my hair, my teeth. It didn't hurt, not really. But when I turned my face skyward, that yellow disk filled my eyes and I was overwhelmed with a deep, jarring sensation. I was in the gaze of Pelor, and he looked through my very being. This sensation, surface dwelling races may be accustomed to it, but it means also they take for granted the presence and glory of Pelor.
>So to answer your question, Brother Caddus, no, I do not cast "protection from sunlight." I am in the presence of my god, and would not dare refuse his grace.
>>
>>43453526
>I don't really care about the details of how the character ends topside as a kid to be fostered
Then why the fuck did you make an entire thread devoted to the discussion of whether or not your shitty explanation for how the kid got topside?
>>
File: 1430508212769.png (12 KB, 402x537) Image search: [Google]
1430508212769.png
12 KB, 402x537
>>43443139
>>
>>43453526
>They wouldn't the other slave if she was pregnant, because that would mean they killed the propertu of their owner which would be much more dangerous.
You don't seem to realize how drow work. An enterprising drow would DEFINITELY kill her (again, assuming this is some really deviant non-matriarchal branch of drow, which is already a stretch) if her owner showed her any sort of fondness since she could then pin the murder on a rival and take out two birds with one stone.

You are way too naive to think like a drow.
>You also said earlier that Drow have no civilians, but now they do? Make up your mind.
They have no civilians in the same way Mad Max or Shadowrun doesn't. In order to live in Menzoberran, you need to constantly be ready, willing, and able to kill.
>There are Drow that aren't ruled by women.
And they are usually neutral or good, making the people who killed their outpost and thus the people who raised your PC evil. Evil people can't be paladins.
>>
>>43456717
>You don't seem to understand how "Deus Vult" works.
You seem to be confusing deus vult with no quarter

Deus Vult is latin for "god will's it". It typically mean "conquer the heathens, enslave them, rape their women, and convert them by force to our religion". Taking their babies and making them be raised to worship your own god is very much in line of deus vult. In fact it has actually been done IRL. The jenissaries were the most loyal force in the history of islam and was made up entirely of the christian children taken as slaves for the sultan. In the USA some native americans had their children taken and given to churches to be raised as "proper americans". etc.
>>
File: 1399801007883.png (1 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1399801007883.png
1 MB, 1280x800
>>43457468
>>
>>43442221
>Paladin
>bow/crossbow
Denied. Paladin orders forbid the use of ranged weapons
>>
>>43457584

I wanted to know if the concept of a Drow Paladin was shit, since thats the character. How they ended topside is something that's easily changed. Though I've yet to read any alternate takes on that, so do you have one?
>>
>>43457692
>I wanted to know if the concept of a Drow Paladin was shit
Then why bring up your godawful deviantart tier backstory?
>>
>>43442221
What I don't get is why is it still a drow. Drow were elves who sided with llolth when their pantheon split up. She marked them by magically turning their skin a dark blue, their hair white, their eyes red and adjusted their eyes for extreme low light (thus making them extremely vulnerable to sunlight)

The drow baby should be transformed back into a regular elf
>>
>>43457658
>he doesn't realize that being Lawful Good is no longer a requirement for Paladin class.
>>
>>43457689

They don't, though. That's just something you made up.
>>
>>43457716
I'm not talking about alignments, senpai
>>
>>43457689
No they don't

>>43457692
Concept is fine, he's just sperging out

>>43457705
Canonically it explicitly doesn't work that way, redeemed drow or drow that were raised to be good stay drow
>>
>>43442221
>Drow slavers raid the surface
>Drow baby among the raiders
Was it bring your baby to work day in drowville? why the fuck would you take a newborn on slave raiding excursion?
This makes no sense whether the drow was a commoner or a noble.
>>
>>43457738
>Canonically it explicitly doesn't work that way, redeemed drow or drow that were raised to be good stay drow
If by canonically you mean the abomination of the book about drizzle
>>
>>43457689
>Paladins can't used range weapons.
To be fair pathfinder sucks so I'll forgive you for not remeber the Sacred Hunter At class.
>>
>>43443196
Nature vs nurture is some of the last untainted trolling material in /tg/. Love you, anon.
>>
>>43457731
>Not talking about alignments.
>the people who raised your PC are evil. Evil people can't become paladins.
Could have fooled me.
>>
>>43457774
>the metaphysical concept of evil was invented by Gary Gygax
baka senpai
>>
>>43457702

Give me a better one, then? It's basic, but hardly that bad.

>>43457705

Shouldn't all good Drow turn to normal, then?

>>43457658
One Drow city in FR had a huge civil war to overthrow Lolth. Don't remember the name off the top of my hat. It's not unheard of. And your reasons why something can't happen are just as convoluted as mine are for why something would happen. You're still not given me an alternate background example, either.
>>
>>43457752
I think he means the followers of Elistrae, goddess of redeemed drow and genderbending lesbian orgies.
>>
>>43445414
>He was good because his daddy done raised him wrong to fight the matriarchy and his female handler was an inexperienced priestess that was too soft as well as because he has the autisms
No, this is false. Drizzet stat's are alluded to often (the dexterity check that got him catching 5 coins demonstrating his +5 dex bonus, his dad started out doing +3 and then got up to +4 when he leveled up, hurr). It is made very clear that drizzet was born chaotic good. Drizzet knew, before ever meeting his father, that evil is wrong and bad. His father wanted to kill drizzet because he was certain the drizzet would be corrupted by the time they met,but no, turns out that drizzet was pure and thus his father spared him. His mother was worried that his father would influence drizzet so she sent him away to be educated. but despite not being prepared for it, and being a young child, he managed to see all the holes in the philosophy they were being taught (which was utterly retarded) and withstand all attempts at corruption.

Shit, he was even born with special light resistant eyes. His eyes were purple instead of red and when they checked them in candle light the light made him happy instead of burning his eyes and making him cry. This is seconds after he is born mind you.
>>
>>43457752
>If by canonically you mean "by canon"

yes, that is indeed the general meaning of that phrase.
>>
File: oots0044.gif (120 KB, 710x902) Image search: [Google]
oots0044.gif
120 KB, 710x902
>>43457786
>Shouldn't all good Drow turn to normal, then?
they should. but then how would people play the chaotic good drow rebel?
>>
I rolled and wrote up backstory for a half-elven Paladin, whose father was a rapacious Drow whom raped his mother.

When he was born, out of shame his mother adopted out the child to the local Chruch of Torm then took her own life out of shame.
A member of the clergy took the child as his own and raised him as a son and eventually squired the child to a paladin.

He was never given a name and was referred to as Brother his entire life.

He cut his ears off when he learned about his conception and when his skin colour comes in question he just says he came from a great desert continent, I asked my DM to let me have a character flaw that makes me mistrustful of Elveish scum, and if we ever fight Drow he gets control of my PC during the fight.

It's been pretty cool so far, we haven't gone to the underdark yet and I get to call Elves, knife eared, pretentious fools, so all in all it's a good campaign.
>>
>>43457705
>The drow baby should be transformed back into a regular elf
The fuck did you get that from?
>>
>>43448425
/tg/ has warped the term speshul snowflake to mean 'anything I don't like'.

And 'anything I don't like' is mostly just 'whatever the /tg/ hivemind has told me to sperg over'. There is no answer to your question that will be satisfactory because in this case the idea that your character is a snowflake is based on pure momentum of idiocy.
>>
File: EasternEuropeanDrow.png (509 KB, 1332x3858) Image search: [Google]
EasternEuropeanDrow.png
509 KB, 1332x3858
>>43442832
>>
>>43458912
Sounds like some salty flavored projection there, m8
>>
>>43453526
I think the backstory is shit myself, but I wouldn't turn away a Drow male that was found exposed due to there being no need for another male (or something equally contrived, as it would take some pretty specific circumstances for the Drow not to want another meatshield/second class citizen) and was then found by a Dwarf woman that couldn't bear letting a child die like that, even if it was a scummy Drow. Then add whatever flavor you'd like to the formative years, and pop him out on a life of adventure as a Paladin.

The exposure thing is a stretch, but I would still find it more believable than a raiding party having a single infant with them, and the kid not resenting the genocide of his family. Or the fact that Paladins on a crusade would actually spare all of the children they come across.
>>
>>43460269
>Dwarf
It's shit
>>
>>43460269
Hell, even a backstory of him being a young male on his first raid getting captured and forcibly re-educated would make more sense. Still pretty generic, but you could make a thing of him finding it liberating that he no longer has to expect a knife in his back every few seconds
>>
>>43460299
But Dwarves are the only race that live underground that wouldn't just enslave it/kill it/eat it's brain or any combination of the three.

Unless you're suggesting gnomes are people.
>>
>>43460316
I thought the point was for the backstory to be a way to have a rather light-hearted Drow character, and being "re-educated" sounds like it would have some pretty dark baggage involved.
>>
>>43460332
Any darker than genocide and kidnapping?
>>
>>43460425
tenfold
>>
>>43442736
But that's not hardcore. Imagine, the fiery light of Pelor scorches my skin each day that I might remember his holy flame! To be blessed with the chance to suffer under his terrifying gaze gives me the strength to know that the darkness under him that he wishes elucidated will be of no match for his burning glory!
>>
File: download.jpg (63 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
63 KB, 680x478
>>43442446
You mean pic related? Hell yeah.

>>43445538
>>43457689

I think the no-honor-in-ranged-combat thing has been thrown out at this point (post 3.5).
>>
File: Astro City_II_07_16.jpg (423 KB, 977x1518) Image search: [Google]
Astro City_II_07_16.jpg
423 KB, 977x1518
>>43449399
Good point, that.
>>
>>43457689
Innocent II pls go
>>
>>43442221
If your entire justification for killing was 'God wills it', seeing a baby wouldn't change your mind at all. you'd kill it.

Shitty story is shitty.
>>
>>43466954
Most HFY faggotry is.
>>
>>43466954

Well, the justification was more like "Drow are gonna fuck shit up, let's kill them first."

Also, look up Janissaries.
>>
>>43467236
>"Drow are gonna fuck shit up, let's kill them first."
All the more reason they wouldn't stop with children
>Janissaries
Look up the Rwandan Massacres. We can play this game of citing historical cases that support our argument all day long, but I promise you we'll find more cases of flat out genocide over convert cannon fodder
>>
>>43467330

So what? Exceptional circumstances happen and sometimes extraordinary events take place.
>>
File: Ethe'riia.png (2 MB, 1932x880) Image search: [Google]
Ethe'riia.png
2 MB, 1932x880
>>43442221
it is a shitty character Idea. The glorious Alean line of surface drow would sooner run than leave the babies to die by crazed and primitive hordes of humans.

in all honesty though your character is cliche as fuck but there is nothing wrong with it no.
>>
File: Eustace.jpg (12 KB, 306x293) Image search: [Google]
Eustace.jpg
12 KB, 306x293
Neutral and even evil male drow always have perfectly good reason to come to the surface to not be fucked around by spiders and bitches. From there their alignment can shift, play a neutral drow who came to the surface for power and is slowly realizing that without all the whipping, spiders, and darkness the world is actual a pleasant place he might give a shit about. It makes for a more interesting character because he hasn't already made his heritage into the feather on his cap to show just what a good and compassionate good guy he is and it makes the choice of playing a drow an actual dynamic part of his shifting world view.
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.