[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help with a big plot twist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Darks-souls-nito-cutscene.jpg (156 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Darks-souls-nito-cutscene.jpg
156 KB, 1280x720
sup/tg I'm going run a game of Soul Hunters which basically a Dark Souls RPG and I need help coming up with the big mystery behind the curse of the undead.

So far I'm rolling with:
>Long ago a Wizard found away to enslave the Gawd of Death.
>Wizard get's pwned by Heroes, but Death God is still trapped.
>Without the Death God souls can no longer leave this plane of existence. So Undead happen.
>Not everybody becomes Undead. Some people just die and their souls pop out of their corpses. (Kinda like the souls in the vidya game that are just lying around.)
>The number of Undead start to rise and become a problem as their bodies and minds start to degrade without ever truly dying. At this point it's gets pretty similar to the vidya where undead get locked up in asylums etc...

I'm not entirely happy with this and was hoping you guys could help me build on it or come up with something better.
>>
It contradicts with the lore of Dark Souls universe, and is retarded as fuck. Scrap that shit. I'll post some ideas a bit later.
>>
>>43091098
I forgot to mention: Soul Hunters is heavily based on Dark Souls, but it is not ACTUALLY Dark Souls, it's just a frame work rule set built around the PCs being Dark Souls style undead.

Each individual GM is expected to come up with their own unique reason for the curse.
>>
>>43091218
Oh, ok, thanks for the explanation. But the twist is still shit.
>>
>>43091218
Can't find any info on Google about "Soul Hunters" except for a phone game and some novels. No RPGs.
>>
>>43090888
>Gawd
>pwned
>vidya

Your use of those words really makes me think I'd hate to be involved in a campaign run by you. Oh, and also the fact that you've come on here asking us to tell you the story of the game you're supposed to be running.

Ideas and story are supposed to inform gameplay/mechanical interactions, not the other way around. If you just want to play Dark Souls so bad, why don't you just play some "vidya"?
>>
>>43091448
FFS man I'm giving you the cliff notes. When I'm GMing the game of course the fluff will be more fleshed out and articulate.

I didn't come here asking you to tell me what my story is. I came here asking for advice. I can and will do this myself if I have to, but last time I checked, there was nothing wrong with asking for help with your game on /tg.

>>43091321
It's a really obscure homebrew rule set, pretty bare bones. I actually got it from a PDF dump thread on this board.
>>
>>43091448
Suck dicks OP likes the setting and wants to role play in a similar environment
>>43091321
But actually what is Soul Hunters
>>
>>43091098
>It contradicts with the lore of Dark Souls universe
reading comprehension
>>
>>43091669
>>43091321

Found it:
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1389/19/1389198235788.pdf
>>
Make the wizard some absurdly influential king who used the powers of a death god to make his kingdom stronger.

Undeath spreads throughout his land and he is too late to realize that life without death is a torturous existence.

Twist is the death god doesn't want to exist anymore. It let the wizard capture it so someone else could inherit his title and he could slip peacefully into eternal darkness, but the king was too greedy and spread his powers too thin. The death god now waits for someone to come and slay him but doing so will cause that person to become the new god of death.

Just stuff I came up with.
>>
>>43092194
>Make the wizard some absurdly influential king who used the powers of a death god to make his kingdom stronger.

Making the Wizard a King sounds good. And one major theme I had was that a lot of people are profiting from the newly available power that come from acquiring souls but the land is slowly falling to entropy. (Kinda like a fantasy version of fossil fuels and global warming.)

As you said life without death is a torturous existence. Even though the undead can never truly die they are doomed to become hollow shells, barely kept alive by the dying embers of their souls. And without the Death God to maintain the natural order everyone will eventually become undead.

Not sure about the whole, "becoming the new God of Death thing" To pull that trope, becoming the Death God has to be a massive burden other wise the Players will be all like: "Uh sure I'll become a God!"
>>
You made the Curse into something that can be solved. You also made it into one particular person's fault. That's not very Dark Souls. Do you want the game to be thematically like Dark Souls? Because the major villain is pretty much just the inevitability of entropy. If you want the game to feel like Dark Souls you can't make it be somebody's fault. The answer cannot be "well we'll go over there and fuck that guy's shit up!" The Curse is just a thing that happens. It was satisfying in Dark Souls because it is an integral part of the mythology. There was never a time in which the Undead Curse would not have happened.

I had toyed around with the idea that the world is built on the firmament that is the body of a God. But Gods do not stay dead. So this world sprung up like mold on the back of the dead God so Death was in the nature of its flesh and so things died. As the God revives, Death is no longer a part of the God's nature and so too does Death leave the world. It is fated that the God will rise and shake off the lands and roots of the world like so much dust.
>>
>>43093030
That's certainly something to consider. To me it's less important that I stick close to Dark Souls as it is making the Players realize what a shitty situation they're in by the endgame.

In their case "solving" the curse means their own permanent deaths as well as the collapse of the current world order. (Which had already crumbled, but just wouldn't end properly because undeath.)

I don't think Dark Souls is about the inevitability of entrophy. It's about things that literally and figuratively refuse to die even though their time has come and gone. As far as I can tell it's heavily implied that there is some kind of cycle of rebirth that occurs once the old world dies, but because someone is always determined to cling to their existence this rebirth is delayed.
>>
>>43091448
Oh, look, it's one of those people who pops in to contribute nothing other than "Your topic is shit! SHIIIIIIIIIIT!!!1!!ONE"
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.