[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How actually popular is football/soccer in the US?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 9
File: usmnt-soccer-fans.jpg (118 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
usmnt-soccer-fans.jpg
118 KB, 600x400
How actually popular is football/soccer in the US?
>>
WNBA gets better ratings than MLS desu
>>
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>>
>>69064773
National team is more popular than domestic league. The only place where it's genuinely popular is in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Portland)
>>
Copa America, which was played in the US, with a US team in the semi-final, was not even shown on TV
>>
>>69064773
less popular than hockey and lacrosse, nobody but literal border hoppers care.
>>
>>69064773
Very few. Only people I knew in High school who liked it were the weirder/alternative athletic kids.
>>
>>69064773
it isn't
>>
>>69064824
...but I watched it on tv?
>>
>>69064824
also euros were flexed twice from espn to espn 2. once for ali's funeral and now for wimbledon
>>
>>69064819
This desu

Every World Cup everyone always goes HAS SOCCER FINALLY MADE IT? and then the hype dies down once it's over. We don't really care about the sport; we just like cheering for the USA. The bigger the stage, the more fun it is. And there aren't many stages bigger than the WC

Plus it's a nice excuse to dress up all patriotic and get drunk at a bar in the afternoon
>>
When i was growing up only rich brats played/followed soccer. Even latinos were more often into the NFL
>>
>>69064824
Do you own a TV? It was shown on fox sports
>>
>>69064914
national tv. English Premier League finals aired on NBC meanwhile you had to have a cable subscription to watch Copa America.
>>
>>69064950
This, the only time considerable amounts of people actually care about soccer is when the world cup is happening, and even then only to cheer for the US
>>
>>69064914

why are the NBA finals, Stanley cup finals, and Superbowl on ABC local channel but our soccer team is on fucking fox sports that requires a cable subscription? because no one gives a shit about soccer here

hell, you know what I just fucking watched last night?

OLYMPIC
FUCKING
SWIMMING
TRIALS

on my local channel.
fucking B- tier breastrokers are more important than the US men's national soccer team.
>>
>90% of fans are spics, foreigners, and hipsters
>ESPN shows 10 seconds of game highlights
>no one talks about MLS in sports talk
>euro and copa America barely get talked about
>international games like Brazil or Argentina always sell out
>that champions league tourny sells out
>most American cant name a soccer player outside messi Rooney or Ronaldo
>pretty sure more lebron jerseys sell then messi in states
>soccer is the sport a mom forces her two sons to play at 8 years old
>soccer is played in parks only by spice and that one nigger
>soccer players in high school are usually seen as gay

Tbqh I watch a lot of semen slurping
>>
Epl is doing reasonably well and nhl is on the decline
>>
Aside from the World Cup and the occasional NT game in some other tournament like the Confed. Cup, no one really cares. MLS is dreadful. Also the way the few US soccer fans try to imitate the Euro and Latino leagues with scarves and singing and ültras"is really sad and pathetic.
>>
2bh I rowed in high school and despite having to wear spandex to practice people still thought soccer players were gayer.
>>
>>69064995
>only having broadcast TV

pls
>>
>>69064995
I watched it on Univision and some other Mexican channel cause I hate the fs1 announcers. I don't think either require cable.

but point taken
>>
literally would not know copa or euro is going right now if it weren't for /sp/

we have "top 10 plays" in our sports highlights shows and none of it is soccer.
>>
>>69065184
Where do high schools have rowing teams?
>>
Way behind the NHL, which is the fourth most popular sport.
>>
very little, unless its world cup/Copa play

MLS is growing, but only slightly in the public eye
>>
>>69065084
You're being disingenuous here. Nbc is showing the trials to boost interest in their olympics coverage later this summer. It's synergistic programming. In a non Olympic year much fewer people give a shit about swimming.

I'm not even saying soccer is super popular in the country. It's not. But the following is higher than its given credit for especially if you take brown people into account.
>>
I love it when sports center does its top 10 and usually goes "coming in at number 7 its kicking...this one from Spain....here is Leonard Messi...very long kick and in... AT NUMBER 6 ITS LEBRON JAMES WITH THE CROSSOVER BEHIND THE BACK PASS TO KYRIE WHO FLUSHES IT DOWN WITH A MONSTER JAM"
>>
>>69064773
It's proportionately growing with the growth of the Latino population over there
>>
File: staypoor.png (271 KB, 479x358) Image search: [Google]
staypoor.png
271 KB, 479x358
>>69064773
Most people couldn't name a single soccer player other than Hope Solo and only then it's because of her off the field issues.

>>69064969
They also have tractor pulls and darts on fox sports, it's the real life version of ESPN 8 "the ocho"
>>
The NBA playoffs weren't on broadcast tv. Have a feeling that sport is on its way out.

I can only see one or two baseball games a week without cable. Dying sport.
>>
>>69065572
That's because you're a subhuman flyover
>>
>>69064995

What kind of poor fucking nigger didn't have cable in this country, seriously kill yourself
>>
>>69065217
I lived in the Northeast (New York), a couple highschools had rowing teams in my area although I rowed for a local club (that was the designated rowing team for all the highschools on that side of the county, I had been rowing in it for several years before high school so I stayed) rather than my highschool (which had its own rowing team that literally everyone hated, including my highschool's students that weren't on the team)
>>
Goes something like
American football
Baseball
Basketball
Hockey
Nascar
Lacrosse
Soccer
>>
>>69065602
I'm in Los Angeles. Baseball is on fox on Saturday or Sunday. Dodgers are exclusive to cable.
>>
>>69064773
Only the National Team is important enough to make the sporting news.

MLS? No one hardly ever gives a shit.
>>
What would get better ratings in the US: a (male) World Cup final with the US team being in it or the Super Bowl?

Be honest.
>>
>>69065660
>lacrosse

Not true, even if you exclude brown people.
>>
>>69065705
Super Bowl, though the World Cup would have ridiculous ratings too
>>
>>69065705
Super Bowl by a large margin
>>
>>69065705
Super Bowl
>>
>>69065720
The best lacrosse player ever was black, also lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the world
>>
>>69065766
>>69065771
>>69065800
What about the NBA final or the baseball final?

Would it beat those?
>>
>>69065868
Probably not
>>
>>69065818
Neither of those two statements makes it more popular than soccer in the United States. The anon that made the assertion must have known how assinine it is. Major league lacrosse folded after what, one season?
>>
>>69065705
Superbowl definitely.

The Superbowl is a holiday here. It's huge

>>69065868
It's tricky cause it can be 7 different games but like a Yankees or Dodgers World Series or a Lebron Finals definitely would pull in bigger ratings
>>
>>69065868
Yes, by a huge margin.
>>
>>69064773
its 4th
NFL
MLB
NBA
divegrass
>>
>>69065114
>>ESPN shows 10 seconds of game highlights

>implying there's more than 10 seconds of highlights in the average divegrass game
>>
>>69065868
ehh. it would be close, but NBA and World Series expand over 4-7 games, if you get the average views compared then I think world cup would win
>>
>>69065962
>implying it's bigger than hockey

In the North and North East hockey is second only t football
>>
>>69065921
What? MLL has been around since like 2000
>>
>>69065962

This is factual
>>
>>69065962
Maybe in Commiefornia or Texass. Or a nigger infested southern state. But not in white states.
>>
>>69064773
niche. more popular in certain cities, more popular among younger people, and the national team has general appeal while sports like baseball increasingly only interest viewers from the cities of the respective teams.

but still way, way behind basketball, handegg, baseball, college football, college basketball and probably hockey and tennis. It's tough to compare because big events like the world cup get a lot of attention, but just about nobody cares about copa america, gold cup, wc qualifiers or the MLS. yuro club games are usually on obscure channels on saturday and sunday mornings.
>>
File: 1354413319339.jpg (543 KB, 610x850) Image search: [Google]
1354413319339.jpg
543 KB, 610x850
>>69065996
>in these small states with tiny populations it popular
ok?

>>69066083
lel, why are furpuck fans so easy to trigger

>yfw horse racing and golf (2 of the whitest sports on the planet) btfo furpuck
>>
>>69064791
The Premier League and Liga MX get higher ratings than both of them here. Soccer has a lot of fans here, but MLS doesn't.
>>
>>69065660
>Lacrosse
This sport really exists?
>>
It's still pretty much niche. Copa America and Champions League is pretty much shoved to Fox Sports in which you have to pay for cable to watch. Euro's get coverage on ESPN, and obviously the World Cup gets its due. No one could give two shits about the domestic league at all. The only league I can really talk about with friends who know anything about the sport is really just the premier league. Only people who really know about the sport are younger people.
>>
File: 6enERtD6754r.gif (44 KB, 834x556) Image search: [Google]
6enERtD6754r.gif
44 KB, 834x556
>>69064950
>Plus it's a nice excuse to dress up all patriotic and get drunk at a bar in the afternoon

USAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSA
>>
>>69066175
Still bigger here than soccer
>>
>>69065962
I live in the Northeast and hockey is much bigger than soccer here.

See people wearing hockey stuff all the time but it's rare to see anyone wearing soccer stuff.
>>
>>69066514
I live in Jersey and football is still king here but hockey and baseball are equal seconds
>>
It's growing for sure...10+ years ago when I'd head to the park to kick around it would usually only be me there (Hispanics sometimes). Now I'll catch a small pick up game with a few Americans these days also (pretty good desu for being in southern state) (a lot more people play pick up soccer than football). But in general they know fuck all about the sport but fifa and major tourneys, atleast it's a start.
>>
>>69066692
Desu = desu ..... T-t-thanks phone :/
>>
>>69066728
desu ... I give up :D
>>
>>69066728
>>69066754
Hello new fag
>>
>>69066692
How old are you?
>>
It's basically on the level of other college sports like trustfundstick or tennis.

It's slightly more popular now than it was 30 years ago because of the increase in the number of foreigners and suburban moms.
>>
>>69066985
29 x_x
>>69066928
Jaja fooled me -_-
>>
>>69065084
It's not on our terrestrial channels either we have to pay to watch our national sports.
>>
>>69066597
>football is king
Baseball is the most popular sport throughout the entire Northeast bar Rhode Island and Penn
>>
Let us just say I will not be watching the Portugal-Poland game tomorrrow lol
>>
File: hank hill on soccer.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hank hill on soccer.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>69064773
It's popularity in the US can be summed up in one line.

"Soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking."~Hank Hill
>>
>>69065766
>>69065771
>>69065800

Absolutely disgusting.

And I love the super bowl too, but having your national team in the final beats anything else. I remember when our U21 team got to the semi final or final of the u21 tournament a few years ago. Everyone lost their shit.
>>
File: 1436464817559.jpg (85 KB, 959x960) Image search: [Google]
1436464817559.jpg
85 KB, 959x960
>>69064995
>English Premier League finals

??
>>
>>69067896
>Baseball is the most popular sport throughout the entire Northeast

Horseshit.

PA, New Jersey, and New York football is king. Can't speak for the other NE states but I'm confident it's the same.
>>
>>69065868

Yes, absolutely. Though like other anon's said, you're comparing a one-off final to a best-of-seven. If the US national team made it past the group stage into the elimination rounds all the way to the final, these games would be a much bigger deal than any MLS or NBA final.
>>
Soccer is already more popular than hockey, MLS grows steadily every year, all time highs in attendancs and quality, only people who refuse to look at things ovjecively will argue. It always astounds me how disgraceful and idiotic people act about a sport that will "never matter" if it didnt we wouldnt have idiots telling the world how much they hate soccer
>>
>>69065217
Every high school and boarding school in CT has one, particularly in my town. I assume the same applies to the rest of New England and any affluent east coast suburb. we also have golf, squash, and tennis programs at our public high school. Go white people.

Everyone I know growing up at least plays FIFA, so they'd know big names and teams. all the dudes in my frat play soccer together almost every weekend and we nearly all American. Definitely gaining traction among younger generation but it is still in my eyes vastly inferior to real football, basketball, baseball, or tennis. Still a fan tho, maybe on the same tier as golf or hockey for me
>>
>>69069192

In terms of participation, its easily the most popular sport in the country, but it's not taken very seriously as a competitive activity. Ice hockey is VERY regional.

Americans who hate soccer mostly resent being told how great it is and that they are supposed to start liking it because it's "the World's Game." Every time I hear this appeal to global popularity, I tune out as well.

>>69064773
OP, soccer is more popular in 'Merica than you'd be lead to believe, but it tends to exist mostly as a participatory rather than spectator activity. It has a very low profile in popular American culture, and the sports media completely ignores it. Black people and working-class whites also do not give a single shit about it. The MLS does have some strong supporters, but the general population does not follow it at all.

I would guess that there are possibly more under-12 players in America than any other country except Brazil playing in an organized format, but very few stay with it. It's popular among children because of the low entry requirements (both in equipment and requisite skills) as well as the low likelihood of serious injury. This tends to reinforce its reputation as not being a "real sport."
>>
>>69064773
Its not memes senpai.

Literally the only people in America that like footyball are rich spoiled liberal trust fund babbies.
>>
i've literally only seen soccer on TV once the past 5 years, and it was on saturday morning hungover , so I don't know what the fuck you guys do to watch it, cuz i remember that shit was at like 8am after spending a few hours puking
>>
>>69064824
It was on FX instead of FS1, I had to flip around desu
>>
no one gonna care for amerifats and their irrelevant sports until they make futbol no.1 national sport just like China is trying to do.
take also Iceland as a example.
>>
I find it strange that they're not better than they are. Surely the white people could use a sport to play.
>>
>>69064773

Only people that care about soccer are women, children, brown people, and hipsters.

Not mainstream - go check front-page of fox sports or ESPN if you wanna get an idea of what is actually popular in the states.
>>
It's a fringe sport in terms of national interest.

If we're counting all sports and not just team sports, it's behind:

- Football
- Baseball
- Basketball
- Hockey
- Golf
- Tennis
- Boxing
- MMA (maybe)

And if you consider NASCAR a sport, it's behind that, too.

For example, a Copa America game featuring our Men's team barely beat Women's Softball in the ratings.

Interest really only happens during either World Cup.
>>
I unironically believe he only reason the USMNT exist is to BTFO Mexico in their favorite sport, probably the US Soccer is secretly funded by Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDnPIq3c0Vc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2e3ZBrrG98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ5SlTdR5hQ
>>
>>69072653
In this day and age, one could find believers in your premise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFREXbDG_Qc
>>
>>69070753
the english gene is still going strong in us football
box to box athletes with next to no skill nor tactical awareness. Defense is a bad word too.
>>
Too popular. We need another long overdue regression of interest in divegrass like we had in the 80s.
>>
File: 1462302928875.jpg (121 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1462302928875.jpg
121 KB, 1024x576
Aside from all the corruption, diving, and injury faking, I hope you guys can understand why we think soccer and its fans aren't straight.
>>
>>69072653
It is the God-given right of the USMNT to cuck Mexico whenever they please. DOS A CERO PU70S.
However, even after having said all that I still believe in us CONCACAF bros we have to stop choking so much. One day lads, one day the US will care and win.
>>
File: 1465034110121.jpg (180 KB, 1599x999) Image search: [Google]
1465034110121.jpg
180 KB, 1599x999
>>69077962
>>
>>69064773
PROXY YANK ANSWERING HIS OWN QUESTIONS
>>
>>69065868
In the last worldcup one of their matches had more viewers than the game 7 of the NBA and the NHL in that year. So with enough hype they will watch it but if you compare revenue the MLS has the same amount of revenue as the Dutch Eredivisie.
>>
>>69066206
That's too bad MLS is actually a fun league to watch.
>>
I'll watch Soccer if it's on. Follow Palace regularly and try to watch their games. Aside from that I only watch the WC
>>
>>69077962
That's pretty cool tbqh.
>>
>>69065988
pretty sure espn shows more highlights of soccer than hockey
>>
It's the most popular youth sport but by the time they reach high school the boys have transitioned to one of the staple American sports.
>>
>>69077962
Thats a dope tifo.
>>
>>69082393
Becoming obese?
>>
>>69082317

literally exactly me. started watching and got hooked in the pulis era, that's what got me into watching regularly. i'm actually seeing a match at selhurst later this year
>>
It's popular but not as popular as apehoop or handegg.
>>
>>69065660
lacrosse everyone watches once a year, hung over on memorial day. then after that no one cares
>>
>>69066002
Sorry, "my" local MLL team folded after one season.

*goes to wikipedia*

>Games sporadically televised, and not since 2013.

>Only remaining teams on the east coast.

>Average attendance >5000
>>
>>69071074
NASCAR's ahead of everything you listed.
>>
File: B_80lNpUUAE-2c-.jpg (72 KB, 600x716) Image search: [Google]
B_80lNpUUAE-2c-.jpg
72 KB, 600x716
>>69065461
>Hope Solo

St-stop, I feel sick just reading that name now...
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.