[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do British people say soccer came from England?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 10
File: soccer ball.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1400) Image search: [Google]
soccer ball.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1400
You idiots know that Mexico and China had their own versions of soccer before England was ever a thing, right?

What do British people have to do with soccer? It's more of a Latin American and German sport than it ever is British

Go back to playing faggot shit like rugby and darts and leave the sports to real men
>>
uhm
>>
they codified the rules with the football association. wikipedia is cool man, give it a try sometime
>>
>Go back to playing faggot shit like rugby

What does that make your 'football'? Considering that's just rugby for the handicapped
>>
>soccer
>sport

Pick 1 and only one
>>
>>68525758
Codification =/= inventing a sport

>>68525718
Germany has more to do with football than England does, at least in the minds of most Americans
>>
>>68525803

ah, so you aren't even trying. at least make it worth my effort dude
>>
>>68525696
>China and Mexico invented the sport
>both are absolute shit at it
>>
>>68525786
How does it feel that we invented your language too?

How does it feel to know everyone around the world speaks American English?
>>
England invented it.

A guy playing rugby decided to start kicking the ball instead and it caught on as football.

I heard this story in a museum
>>
Mexicans and chinks kicking dead babies around the village doesn't actually count as football.
>>
>>68525859
What does codifying a sport have to do with inventing it?

Trust me, even if England didn't codify it, the sport would still exist. There have been reports in the 1500 and 1600s of various countries playing this kind of football already

It's not that hard to understand. Take that English dick out your mouth
>>
>>68525905
you're trying too hard lad
>>
>>68525962
I challenge anyone to name a better English player than Chicarito
>>
The Mexican games looked nothing like "football"

No idea about China, but it was probably fairly different as well, and it's sure as shit not like it was Chinese merchants, students, clergy, etc. that were going around spreading their version of the game in the late 19th century.
>>
>>68525696
if you take away their false sense of superiority what do they have left? Do you like to hurt special kids?
>>
>>68525995
It's kinda true though

Anyone learning English around the world learns American English
>>
>Americans play football with hands
>>
>>68525803
>Germany has more to do with football than England does, at least in the minds of most Americans

>talking out of your ass this much
>>
>>68526746
Confirmed for never having left USA
Everyone else speaks Commonwealth English, it's only really your country which doesnt
>>
>>68526285
literally the entire team, he's a literally who chicano manlet
>>
>>68525696
As much as I hate England football wise you have to be literally delusional to claim they didn't invent modern football.
>>
>>68526746
Also
>we codified our own version of the language so therefore we invented it
>England codified football? That means fuck all it was already invented before that
>>
>>68527554
Yeah Canada and Australia speak British English
>>
>>68527554
wrong

American English is normal to me.

Limey English sounds really weird, gay and nasal.

And no one cares what Pajeets and Pakis speak like.
>>
>>68527750
Accent means nothing about the language you dumb fuck, it's how it's written not how it sounds
>>
>>68527866
nobody uses british english outside the UK.

colour, favourite etc all look extremely ridiculous to us continental europeans.

we also dont use crisps to talk about chips. we call em chips.

literally nobody uses british english, and we literally cannot even understand what most brits say. literally no continental european who isnt used to scotts/scousers will understand them, but its easy for us to understand americans.

you are the cancer ruining the langauge
>>
>>68527979
kek, the worst one is "diarrhoea"
>>
>>68527979
no, the real cancer are the faggots who can't think of any other words than 'literally', and even then you can't use the word correctly

You must literally be brain dead if you think people are going to get confused if I write colour but not color
>>
>>68528320
Have you ever traveled abroad? No one uses UK English.

Just like how no one associates soccer with the UK
>>
>>68527750
>>68527979
>>68528183
>>68529176
>All the delicious butthurt when england wins
>>
>>68529383
Wow who cares

They're still a worse team than most Latin American teams

Me and my friends could beat England
>>
>>68529473
You seem frustrated m8. Did a unilad cuck you or something? Trying a bit too hard here, think you need to calm down.
>>
>>68529176
I've travelled to every continent and fuck loads of countries (not bragging, just answering) and there are always remnants of British English

Admittedly the odd American word falls through but that's what happens when all their media in the language is from USA, but no one can say that no one understands how I talk, that's just retarded
>>
>>68525900
Fuck off its not like you are better
>>
>>68529383
based Peru
>>
>>68525696
The Brits played ball sports since antiquity. Rugby, Golf, American Football, and Hockey all come from the Brits (including Irish)
>>
>>68529473
>yfw a british lad goes to the US and gets poontang purely because of their voice
>>
why do are Americans on /sp/ always nasty to Brits when I like the Americans and am nice to you :(
>>
>>68529769
>including the Irish

Fuck you. Ireland has nothing to do with the U.K.

And just because they play something doesn't mean they invented it. I haven't seen one shred of evidence that England did anything for soccer aside from codifying it (which would've happened eventually by China, Mexico, France, Germany etc.)
>>
>>68527626
Another glorious cuju victory for England today.
>>
>>68529896
>Ireland has nothing to do with the U.K.
Yanks are this delusional
>>
>>68525982
>What does codifying a sport have to do with inventing it?
A lot actually
>>
>>68527510
He's probably one of the Jewish MUH GERMAN-AMERICAN types
>>
>>68525905
The majority of European countries teach British English
>>
>>68527555
You have to born in the USA to be a Chicano fucking idiot
>>
>>68526474
>it's sure as shit not like it was Chinese merchants, students, clergy, etc. that were going around spreading their version of the game in the late 19th century.
Too busy getting BTFO in opium wars and then getting BTFO during the boxer rebellion
>>
>>68529896

> Fuck you. Ireland has nothing to do with the U.K.
There are written records of football being played while Ireland was under British rule.

You are a fucking retard.
>>
ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND

SPORT
>>
>>68529943
I'm Irish

We have nothing to do with England
>>
>>68525696

Yes, I'm sure it wasn't uncommon for people to kick things around with their feet.

But the rules of the football we played were codified in England. Get rekt faggot.

>>68525786

Rugby = rugby FOOTBALL i.e. the rules of football that Rugby school played. There were lots of different codes of football.
>>
>>68530045
>I'm Irish
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
>>
>>68530045
Yeah you do, you're our cucked bitch
And don't you ever forget it
>>
Shitty thread, dude. Move on.
>>
>>68525696
>WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>68530001
This is true mate, >>68525905 they actually teach us to NOT speak like americans and all "listening" exercices are in British/Irish English
>>
>>68529473
>me and my friends could beat England in a pie eating contest
>>
>>68525982
>codifying a sport have to do with inventing it?

everything.
just like we refer to your football as American football, because you codified that way of playing the game. Aussie Rules football is an Australian sport, because they codified it. Gaelic football is Irish, because they codified it.

Any sport can be reduced to throwing, kicking, hitting, punching and said that it has precursors elsewhere, so fucking what?
>>
>>68525905
What is "American English" exactly?
>>
>>68530092
>cucked bitch
Rooney, Hart, and Cahill are Irish.

Dier = German

Lallana = Continental

The Rest = Black

> cucked
>>
>>68525696
It's the same thing with how they pretend to be good at it too
>>
I find it interesting how similar Mexico soccer fans and England are. We all know that they think they are hot shit in group stages rekking small countries only to geT BTFO by Argentina/Germany in knockout rounds.
>>
>>68530170
It's more like old English, due to the printing presses, continentals spelled words with a U like colour or behaviour whereas the Americans continued to spell them without a U
>>
>>68530170
Take english
Spell it incorrectly
Pass it off as a new language
>>
>>68525696
wow by your logic cavemen kicking stones between sticks invented football

retard
>>
Look, kicking a ball about and getting it in some sort of goal has probably been around for thousands of years. Nobody can possibly know who truly invented it. When it comes to who started the sport of association football as it's known today though, we invented it, and that's just a fact.
>>
>>68530272
It's the other way around you dipshit.
>>
>>68530192
I'm not talking about the team though, I'm talking about the country

We have you on a leash like the dog you are, pipe down or we'll stop feeding you again
>>
>>68525696
The Chinks are notorious liars about their history. They claim they invented the camera before farming was invented and porcelain before modern man evolved. Theres a reason they are seriously tight about allowing foreign historians and archaeologists into the country. Don't Believe Yellow lies.
>>
>>68525962

Faggots in this thread think that when the English claim to have invented football (i.e. association football, which we did) that we are claiming to have invented the motion of kicking something with our feet for fun.
>>
Why can't we all be friends no matter where we're from? :)
>>
File: 1465683094672.jpg (634 KB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
1465683094672.jpg
634 KB, 2592x1728
>>68525995
>>68526746
You are both right tb h.
We study "british" english in school, but everyone just ends up speaking the "american" english in the end.
The American influence and culture us just too huge
>>
File: arse.gif (469 KB, 480x228) Image search: [Google]
arse.gif
469 KB, 480x228
>>68530331
>We have you on a leash like the dog you are, pipe down or we'll stop feeding you again

One word

ROTHERHAM
>>
>>68530382
Watch your mouth lad, wouldn't want another Bloody Sunday
We wouldn't want to waste our bullets again
>>
>These ABE threads that pop up everytime England win

Fucking obsessed and embarrassing tbqh
>>
>>68530277
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/history-of-soccer-football.htm

>Records trace the history of soccer back more than 2,000 years ago to ancient China. Greece, Rome, and parts of Central America also claim to have started the sport; but it was England that transitioned soccer, or what the British and many other people around the world call “football,” into the game we know today. The English are credited with recording the first uniform rules for the sport, including forbidding tripping opponents and touching the ball with hands.
>>
>>68530375

t. cuck
>>
>>68525696

t. ricardo mexicosa the 1/256 native
>>
Is running a sport? No, no it's not. Running is an activity.
The marathon is a sport, the 100m sprint is a sport, with defined rules and goals.

Kicking a ball is not a sport, it's an activity, an "exercise".
Football is a sport, which was invented by British people.
>>
>>68530375
people just speak american english because brits don't like when we talk like them
>>
>>68531365
Uhh what kind of Brazilian person thinks football was invented by the Brits?

Most Brazilian people I know think Brazil invented it
>>
>>68525696
they obviously didn't invent kicking a spherical object or earning points for doing so, that's probably older than shitting, but they made the rules we use today

it's not that hard to understand
>>
>>68531612
Yeah, that's why Brits are so good at football then?

Get the fuck out of here
>>
>>68531539
are you sure they aren't just dumb Amerilards?
>>
>>68529473
you are far too fat for that jamal, or are you one of the chicanos that post about how good chicarito is even when he's trash and has nothing to do with the thread?
>>
>>68529383

>A FUCKING WHITE
>>
>>68531714
I'm a Chicano.

England has nothing to do with the invention of football. We've been playing it longer than anyone else has
>>
>Americans taking a break from being retarded by only pretending to be retarded

Never gets old
>>
>>68531697
what's that got do with inventing the rules of the sport fattie
>>
>>68531754
feel free to take credit for kicking a round object around, I don't care about some subhuman brown people kicking a dog turd around in their favela's. we codified the rules and formed the first league, so people class us as inventing the sport. maybe if your ancestors had spent more time doing things properly you wouldn't have had to leave your own country because the cartel wouldn't stop stuffing cocaine up your mums arse
>>
Fucking gold
>>
>>68525696
Stay jelly, m8. Even the great American sport of baseball is an English game.
>>
>>68532176
Girls still play a variation of it in school, they call it Rounders though
>>
>>68531791
The rules don't make the sport you stupid spic
>>
File: Rounders-3.jpg (266 KB, 1024x1802) Image search: [Google]
Rounders-3.jpg
266 KB, 1024x1802
>>68532602
Rounders >>> baseball
>>
>>68525900
Mexico is better than England
>>
Fucking around with a ball =/= Football
>>
>>68529858

i like you guys and i'm grateful for the help you've given me understanding soccer concepts and rules, i like helping interested brits with baseball and football the same way. i'll actually be attending a premier league game in the fall
>>
>>68530143
>spain
>speaking English
ahahahhahahahahahhahahahahah none of you faggots can speak English

just like the French kekkkkk
>>
>>68527979
Shame on you. How deep is America's penis in your bumhole?
>>
>>68525939

A guy playing football picked up the ball and ran to play rugby
>>
>>68527979

Liar
>>
>>68533378
>england
>2016
>relevant in anything
>>
>>68532999
Lmao

Go jump back over the border lad
>>
>>68531288
>only make the rules
>oh we invented the sport

Fucking idiots. No one but British people think that.

Outside of England, everyone associates soccer with other countries. Here in the US, we associate Brazil or Mexico more with it
>>
>>68533724

That's because you are a nation of fucking idiots.

/discussion
>>
>>68527979
Oh it's a merkelord thread?
>>
>>68533779
At least we didn't let in a bunch of brown people who hate our country into there

Enjoy getting raped by Muslims
>>
>>68533954
Calm down and prep your wife's bull.
>>
>>68533378
>assuming everyone hates America just because you fell for Anti-American propaganda

some people still love the greatest country of all time, you know?

t. person whose biggest dream is to become an American citizen.
>>
>>68531339
kek
>>
>>68533035
The Chinese codified soccer nearly 1000 years ago

That's undisputed fact.

The Aztecs also codified soccer as well

The British just stole it>>68533210
>>
>>68525696
Britain are shitlord pretentious fucks who claim everything was invented by them.
>>
>>68531288
>Records trace the history of soccer back more than 2,000 years ago

ahistoricism

kicking ball with feet =/= football as the word has come to be referred to association football

american historians are fucking trash
>>
>>68532176

but wait m8, some abe cunt on here will claim that the history of baseball goes back 2000 years because there were ancient peoples who hit things with sticks for fun. apparently, the rules (the game) don't actually matter.
>>
>>68534066
No relation at all to football that was played in England.
>>
>>68525982
The word soccer comes from as'soc'iation. No codifyng, no soccer, no football.
>>
File: IFAB.jpg (28 KB, 583x261) Image search: [Google]
IFAB.jpg
28 KB, 583x261
>>68534106
Tell that to the IFAB, nerd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Football_Association_Board

>The International Football Association Board (IFAB) is the body that determines the Laws of the Game of association football. IFAB was founded in 1886 to agree standardised Laws for international competition, and has since acted as the "guardian" of the internationally used Laws; since its establishment in 1904 FIFA, the sport's top governing body, has recognised IFAB's jurisdiction over the Laws.
>It is a separate body from FIFA, though FIFA is represented on the board and holds 50% of the voting power. As a legacy of association football's origins in the British Isles, the other organisations represented are the governing bodies of the game in the four countries of the United Kingdom. Amendments to the Laws require a three-quarter supermajority vote, meaning that FIFA's support is necessary but not sufficient for a motion to pass.
>>
>>68531950
rekt
>>
>>68525803
Please, just stop
>>
>>68534066
>The Chinese codified soccer nearly 1000 years ago
>The Aztecs also codified soccer as well
Soccer stands for association football you muppet. The chinese codified cuju, and the mexicans 'codified' ōllamaliztli. Not soccer - the game the world plays.

>Association football in itself does not have a classical history.[25] Notwithstanding any similarities to other ball games played around the world FIFA have recognised that no historical connection exists with any game played in antiquity outside Europe.[26] The modern rules of association football are based on the mid-19th century efforts to standardise the widely varying forms of football played in the public schools of England. The history of football in England dates back to at least the eighth century AD.[27]
>>
>>68529896
yYu're talking bollocks mate. There's plenty of clubs founded round the world that were founded in the early 1900's by English ship workers showing up and seeing there was no teams.

It may have been played in some form earlier but the version you see today is the version that the English created and the one that was accepted.

What people in any civilisation don't find out when their young that kicking balls around isn't fun?
>>
>>68525803
Creation =/= origins
>>
File: calcio-storico.jpg (385 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
calcio-storico.jpg
385 KB, 1680x1050
>>68525696

There are lots of old versions of football, like Calcio Storico from Italy

But modern football was codified by the English. We are the ones who exported this particular form of the game.
>>
>>68534559

he's confusing the word to name a specific game codified by the English with the act of using a foot to kick a ball.
>>
Putting the laws of the game in motion and making it the current game that it is.The versions from Mexico, China and Russia were all different games.I'm sure cavemen were kicking tumbleweeds or rocks about.
>>
File: 1465264620591.gif (151 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
1465264620591.gif
151 KB, 128x128
>1 point
>>
>>68534817

England have 4 points and are top of the group
>>
>>68525905
Have you ever been anywhere? US and Canada are the only places speaking "American English"
>>
>>68534886
Take off the proxy, Nigel Mohammad
>>
Okay OP, someone here with a little background on this subject coming through.

To keep it brief, as you are clearly one of the subhuman Yanks they want rid of pronto:

Long before the Spic's landed near America-whole which spread the greatest genocide via diseases and even before the Portuguese expanded their various slaver routes towards the far East; England was playing a crude mixture of what is known as today as Football.

Football has various interpretations which is now mostly known in your country as the bastardized version of that which the French decided we had too much influence over 80 odd years ago and thus wrestled away the purer form to create FIFA.

>Why does it come from a oldie English game.

Because we have archaeology, folk lore written down and told, history dating back to the neolithic well documented with trustworthy science. As well as certain rural communities still playing the ancient game to this very day.
>>
>taking credit for "inventing" football
Hilarious shit, football is so intuitive I'm sure people have been playing it in one form or the other ever since the first cavemen started kicking animal heads around.
>>
>>68535335
Thank you

The Brits didn't do shit
>>
>>68535335
>having a pineapple on your flag

You didn't invent pineapples m8
>>
>>68525696
And yet none of those countries will ever win a world cup

What's that tell you faggot.

USA women's has a cup. You're all fucking losers
>>
>>68536421
But we did, google Ante Ananas
>>
>>68535187
What the fuck are you talking about?
Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.