[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't there any more black pitchers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: bobgibson.jpg (255 KB, 1548x1536) Image search: [Google]
bobgibson.jpg
255 KB, 1548x1536
Why aren't there any more black pitchers?
>>
>>67714962
There are
>>
There's been a sharp decline in black baseball players generally since the 70s
>>
>>67714962

Gibson's stats, especially his playoff stats are GOAT
>>
>>67714962
Smartest position in the league and as we all know it is the least likely to hold black American players
Like QB
>>
>>67716245
Catchers are smarter
>>
>>67716188

forgot quote

Gibson is def my fav black baseball player though

“(Hank Aaron told me) ‘Don’t dig in against Bob Gibson, he’ll knock you down. He’d knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don’t stare at him, don’t smile at him, don’t talk to him. He doesn’t like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don’t run too slow, don’t run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don’t charge the mound, because he’s a Gold Glove boxer.’ I’m like, ‘Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?’ That was the night it ended.”
—Dusty Baker
>>
The NFL didn't really take off as far as popular black players until the late 70s. The NBA got cool right around that time or a couple years later. Before that, any athletic black kid didn't really have anything to aspire to as far as black athletes other than baseball or maybe track and field.

But any black kid born after like 1980 would have grown up being more drawn towards those other sports.

Also, there's nothing flashy about being a pitcher, and you can't talk shit to your opponents, so that makes it less desirable to black dudes.

It's also self-perpetuating, since the fewer black players there are, the less appealing it becomes to other black people since they don't want to be a minority.
>>
too busy being chimps that like to kill each other so they play basketball and football
>>
>>67716304
>I'm like, 'Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?' That was the night it ended."

BOSS
>>
Too much responsibility. You're literally out there on your own in front of thousands of people without anyone to hide behind or blame if you fuck up.

Niggers can't handle that.
>>
>>67716245
Pitcher is literally the least intelligent position in baseball. They pretty much do what the catcher tells them, they don't have to make quick decisions on defense outside of the occasional bunt, and they aren't expected to hit well (or at all in the AL).

It's a heavily specialized position but compared to the other 8, it's the least nuanced and requires the least amount of intelligence.
>>
pitching is pretty technical and isn't something that you can excel at just because you're muscular, it requires a LOT of focused training which is difficult for poorer folks in the inner-city to get
>>
>>67714962
too good apparently, unfair
>>
>>67716615

throwing hard won't even get you through high school, as early at 16-17 you need to learn to locate and do a little speed changing.
>>
Requires an IQ higher than 80
>>
Black people play real sports.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.