[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Take me back to the beginning, /sp/. What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 20
Take me back to the beginning, /sp/. What went wrong?
>>
Their flagship show sportscaster is dead at this point.

It's a sjw haven, just look at all the minority "" ""analysts""""" they have.
There is little to no actual in depth discussion about what plays are being run just an endless stream of highlights. They do no coverage of hockey or soccer unless it's convenient.
>>
they tried to take on the New England Patriots

never take on a fanbase that is that crazy. New England dropped over 1 million subscribers in the past year. Its 4.5 million nation wide.

ESPN is dieing and its happening fast
>>
Removing the old comment section on game threads.
>>
Two words:

1.) FIRST
2.) TAKE
>>
Pandering to minorities and SJWs, just like everything else in America. You can't turn on one of their programs without seeing a black person or hearing rap. Also I think replacing Cowherd with Dan "whiniest c.uck alive" LeBatard because Cowherd dropped some truth about Dominicans backfired heavily and alienated lots of viewers
>>
>>67464115
SJW and "urban" crowd pandering.
>>
Pandering to blacks/hip-hop culture, laziness in programming, oversaturation
>>
>>67464770
>because Cowherd dropped some truth about Dominicans backfired heavily and alienated lots of viewers
What did he say?
>>
>>67464770
>>67464790
>>67464805
>equating blacks with SJWs

Niggas BEEN on ESPN. its the women/sjw shit thats gone out of hand. Kaitlyn shit was the prime example
>>
>>67464546
>>67464770
>>67464790
>>67464805
>>>/pol/
>>
>>67464770
This is it....just look at the disgusting transformation of Around the Horn and it's clear.
They are full on SJW's, but worse, they gutted their live sports budget when they whored themselves to the NFL for a bunch of shitty games.
Now cord cutters are killing them.
>>
File: i.png (114 KB, 350x254) Image search: [Google]
i.png
114 KB, 350x254
JUST
>>
>WORLDWIDE LEADER
>oh i guess that means we have to cover EVERYTHING
>have to suffer fucking cricket highlights
>>
Do they even have Baseball Tonight anymore, or was that cut for the 7th hour of NFL Live?
>>
File: Cris_Carter_rtr_img1.jpg (143 KB, 1440x907) Image search: [Google]
Cris_Carter_rtr_img1.jpg
143 KB, 1440x907
>>67464902
FUCK
>>
>>67464925
Nah they have it, gotta hype up Jessica mendoza some.
>>
>>67464925
they still do it, not sure why you'd bother when mlb network exists though
>>
>>67464115
What do you expect? It's basically online message boards in television form, a bunch of globby neckbeards talking about muh predictions and muh stats. ESPN has always sucked, they will start sucking each other dick on screen for monies.
>>
>>67464925
I think they do but I'm not sure...they decided a consistent programming schedule is not important.
Also 2 words why they suck...Jessica Mendoza.
>>
Disney is what went wrong, next question
>>
>>67464957
Carter was one of the few guys that actually was interesting...now you got Randy Moss.
>>
>>67465022

Carter was awful. Mike & Mike sucking his dick on air every time he graced them with his presence is some of the most cringe-inducing bullshit ESPN puts out, along with their continuous race-baiting and sjw pandering.
>>
Hate to see ESPN losing more talking heads. Especially Ray Lewis, he killed it every Sunday.
>>
File: 1299988199049.jpg (17 KB, 459x329) Image search: [Google]
1299988199049.jpg
17 KB, 459x329
>>67465251
>>
File: 1451842007278.jpg (94 KB, 961x828) Image search: [Google]
1451842007278.jpg
94 KB, 961x828
>>67465251
>>
Disney bought them in 1996. They were already going downhill some, but that was the last straw.
>>
File: 1.png (715 KB, 1080x875) Image search: [Google]
1.png
715 KB, 1080x875
>>
>>67465436

There is no way she is 94% and 90%, unless that is really old when those sites just started.

The best of the best can't get close to that on 50/50s.
>>
>>67464115
All this fantasy garbage
>>
ESPN: The Worldwide Leader in Twitter Coverage & Beating Dead Horses
>>
>>67465483
I'm ashamed to say I don't even know what those numbers mean
>>
When ESPN stopped showing sports highlights and decided to concentrate on fantasy football and being like TMZ.
>>
>>67465527

The ESPN graphic is saying she wins money on over 90% of the contests she enters on Draftkings.

If that were the case, she'd have no reason to work at ESPN since she could literally throw all of her money into it every night and get super rich super fast.
>>
>>67465576
yea that shit is fake dude
>>
>fired Cris Carter
Thank you based ESPN
>>
>>67464871
Why is this the stock response everytime somebody complains about all the pandering bullshit that's been going on around the world lately? Do you idiots have ANYTHING else? Or is this the online equivalent of sticking you fingers in your ears and yelling "LA LA LA I can't hear you"
>>
The Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, Lebron James, Tom Brady shit that no real person cares about is what did them in.
>>
>>67467119

you're delusional
they were terrible even before these guys

remember artest?
brett favre?
tiger woods?
>>
>>67464871
>too much truth
Die you fucking faggot
>>
Firing Bill Simmons was stupid. Guy did more for the network than anyone combined. Never listened to his analysis but Grantland and 30 for 30 were easily the best things about ESPN.

Jessica Mendoza... sorry but being a softball player doesn't qualify you to be the sunday night baseball analyst. Different ball, field, bat, game flow. No arena football player would get the monday night football job. Hired because she's a woman, not that anyone disputes that besides ESPN.

The site has devolved into a forum for leftist political b.s. (Bomani Jones wearing a Caucasians shirt, that ugly Mexican saying Kelce gets away with celebrating because he's white, Kate Fagan showing up everywhere). Then obviously the Caitlyn Jenner thing.

The overwhelming majority of ESPN's viewership is comprised of men of many different ages and races, who care very little about the political sphere, and just want a channel where they can watch highlights. ESPN has completely ignored its customer, and is paying dearly as a result. They will need to change their approach within a few years or I fully expect them to be finished.
>>
File: 1459718140713.png (36 KB, 838x316) Image search: [Google]
1459718140713.png
36 KB, 838x316
Liberalism and SJWs
>>
Disney
>>
>>67464589
>this cute little fantasy

>>67464115
They went from depth and analyst in sports to signing mega millions deals to secure rights to certian events the average American didn't care or have the service to watch

They placed all their money on college ball and NFL only to realize that america cares more about every sport than a select few

they turned their back on tennis , hockey , soccer(with the exception being these past 2 years where they have gone back to talking about tennis and soccer a bit more)

overall they spent big and it backfired on them

that new years eve college game really fucked them hard and the NCAA
>>
File: Trump7stages.jpg (247 KB, 835x1204) Image search: [Google]
Trump7stages.jpg
247 KB, 835x1204
>>67464871
You are just proving that
>/pol/ is always right
>>
They willingly broadcasted E-Sports and then tried to justify it.
>>
They eliminated Friday Night Fights which was one of the things I liked most on ESPN.

When Sportscenter came out there was nothing on TV like it. Now you can go online and find better clips, analysis, and commentary. There's no good reason to watch Sportscenter any more.
>>
they were purchased by Disney

Look at the SJW shit Disney has been forcing into their movies, now look at ESPN.
>>
Requiring a linked Facebook account to comment was the main issue for me. You used to be able to comment with a simple ESPN account. Some of my favorite memories of the internet are harassing and arguing with people on their. The bants and keks were top tier.
Now it's mostly empty aside from the occasional loud mouthed redneck who doesn't care what his friends think of him.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 400x225
Is this how professional sports will end? It's incredibly difficult to try and listen to Sunday night baseball.
>>
>literally every company in the USA is increasing diversity
>one of those companies dies
>"its diversity's fault!!"
>>
>>67464841
That they're not smart enough to play other sports except baseball (swing bat and run vs plays/tactics) and then went on to explain this is because of how shitty Domican Republic is. Bad schools, etc. Of course no on listened to that part and roasted him because HE SO RAYCISS
>>
File: image.png (558 KB, 658x844) Image search: [Google]
image.png
558 KB, 658x844
>>67468111
Is it even possible to find a job as a white male in Britain
>>
>>67468122
If my life is anything to go by, no. But I'm not blaming diversity for it
>>
File: 2016-05-09_16-06-23.png (353 KB, 555x242) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-09_16-06-23.png
353 KB, 555x242
I FUCKING HATE THIS FUCKING CUNT

FUCK OFF
REEEEE
>>
there's way too many women. Not even being sexist but at least half the men have actual experience playing these sports at the highest level.
>>
>>67468189
You realize that for all sportscaster duos there is 1 person who has played the sport to provide color commentary and 1 person who only has a communications degree to talk about the play by play right?
>>
>>67468122
how is that legal??
>>
they hired skip
>>
>>67468261
What's the point when women like Mendoza can't even clearly speak English?
>>
>>67464115
not enough live sports
>>
>>67468166
Then who should you blame, your government, your mother or anyone else.

For the white man living in Bongland this is an insult and I need to check my priviledge
>>
I was under the impression that only black people or people in bars since they're "required" to have it on still watched ESPN.

Aside from all the SJW garbage they're pushing, the title town, focuses so much on NBA and NFL over all other sports, and circlejerking the same few athletes ruined the channel. I prefer to watch my local sports network.
>>
>>67467547

This. This right here paired with pandering liberal bullshit.

We want sports. If we wanted a political debate akin to what they show I'd just turn on msnbc then proceed to shoot myself.
>>
>>67464115
The Walt Disney Company fucked up by not having a major deal with the NFL to generate revenue.
>>
>>67468650
>"required''

What?
>>
>>67468458
Britain is basically 1984 with SJWs in charge
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 288x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 288x499
The fact that they use highlights as a way to just shill for sports they cover. It amazes me how much power they have over the average american and what they find interesting and want to watch. If espn doesnt cover it, normies wont care or will have no idea what you are talking about. The fact that everytime i turn of espn they are circlejerking over curry and a couple years ago lebron is another reason, as is their coverage of pointless nfl drama when the season doesnt start for another fucking 4-5 months. Seems to me like they think the audience is a bunch of women and they are trying to be like tmz or some shit. PTI and on occassions ATH are the only things i will ever watch anymore.
>>
>>67468787
ESPN is on at every bar in America
>>
>>67464770
He was already set to leave before that, retard
>>
Beginning of the end was when they got so bootyblasted over losing hockey that they flat-out refused to cover it for more than 5 seconds a week. People kept watching because they're the default sports thing and so they realized "oh hey we can get away with only talking about the stuff we have the rights to".
And thus the 65% apehoop, 34% football, 1% the rest channel was born
>>
>>67464841
you cant criticize any country unless they are a white country

DR is not white.... so he got in trouble
>>
File: queen.jpg (87 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
queen.jpg
87 KB, 576x1024
>>67464115
I'd imagine most sports fans are right wing or just politically apathetic. Certainly not fucking tumblr tier lefties though.

So all the fucking bullshit they've been spewing the last 3 or 4 years is driving viewers away. I don't even know why they are doing it, it's obviously a failing formula
>le when is a female going to become an NFL coach
>le Caitlin Jenner
>can we please talk about mascots and team names
It's not just cord cutters, it's regular sports fans that are just so fucking tired by their shit.
People are just tuning out. They already hear enough of that bullshit in every other media facet, they don't want to sit down and watch a game and hear more about "how can we get more inner city blacks to start playing baseball?"
>>
>>67464805

If blacks aren't endlessly pandered to, they just cry "racism" (see: republicans)

Can't fucking win with you babies.
>>
Too much sportsyelling. Not enough actual sports. I don't need 20 hours of analysis. I watch for sports and even taped sports are better than freaking sportscenter.
>>
>instead of legitimate discussion about the state of ESPN, literally entire thread is "SJWs" and "libtards"

this website is such a fucking cesspool
>>
Let's see if this is actually worth typing out or if it will get greentexted with "SJWs" and "libcucks"

I wonder if ESPN is starting to change back into a reputable sports network after a decade plus of being ridiculed by everyone. The past year or so (besides the loss of Mike Tirico) they have slowly been doing "addition by subtraction".

They have cut ties with the cesspools of Cowherd, Bayless, Whitlock and Ray Lewis, 4 guys who were almost universally hated the sports watching public.

This is the funny thing. ESPN is getting shit on by losing Bayless and the others as a sign that "the network is on its last legs", but maybe this is all intentional.

Yes, their profits are going down with cost-cutters. But it may be a blessing in disguise to allow them to get rid of the overpaid morons that they've been cutting recently.

Hopefully Stephen A. Smith is next.
>>
>be ESPN
>constantly told what a shithole it is with the people it hires
>is literally letting go/firing all their horrible shitposters like Bayless, Cowherd, now Ray lewis
>HURR ESPN DEAD LOL
>>
For me it went to shit when Sportscenter stopped being about Stewart Scott, Trey Wingo, etc bantering and I could watch the first 3 viewings of SC when I stayed home sick from school and couldn't do anything else.

>>67470954
But Fatlock is great. The rest of your post is really dumb too.
>>
>>67471230
tell me whats dumb about it
>>
>>67467897
E-Sports is dirt cheap to get now and they're gambling and praying it takes off so it proves to be a profitable endeavor as the NBA and NFL utterly fucked them with the last round of bidding (look at how much much the Cap is jumping up for the NBA due to the new TV deals)

It's like in the 00s they were pushing Poker so hard. Cheap as hell to get the rights for and cheap to cover. They got their money until it went bust but unlike Poker they can more easily farm out MUH DRAMA and MUH CONTROVERSY with E-Sports because it's a team """"""sport."""""

Want to see everything that went wrong with ESPN in a nutshell? Skip Bayliss and Tebowmania. He got some ratings boost on his shit timeslot and ESPN decided to push Teboq so much that they single handedly created Tebowmania.

This change in culture for creating non-sports stories and at times becoming obvious propaganda puppets for the NFL hurt their credibility. Remember Mort's original 2 PSI Tweet for Deflategate from a 'league source' when the NFL had the data and it was blatantly untrue but ESPN pushed it out so much that it became the 'truth' for the public.

Now combine all of this with growth of dedicated channels for sports like MLB Network or NBA Network and you have fans of those sports going there instead of ESPN so they have to try and outshine those dedicated networks with CONTROVERSY and Cickbait instead of trying to beat them at coverage and analysis because those things are hard to do compared to just throwing out bait.
>>
>>67471579
This one Poker hand has more drama and excitement than any E-Sport could ever hope to conjure up.

https://youtu.be/CwqkYOQfDK4
>>
>>67464969
mlb network is super cringey, they're just as bad with the anchors trying to act cool with bants/catchphrases, and they dont even pull it off as well as ESPN

moral of the story, don't watch anything besides games and highlight shows on mute
>>
>>67471675
Mate, fuck off, Poker is not an sport.
E-games arent either.
I and most people give watching a Poker tournament and a MtG tournament the same status.
Shite.
And i have unironically watched MtG tournaments, but im not deluding myself saying it's an sport.
A sport should be a comibination of physical strenght, physical skill and at least some brains.
Only physical strenght isn't a sport and only brain isn't either.
>>
ESPN's downfall is basically like the downfall of print media.

ESPN got big because in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s, nearly 3 decades, they were the main source of sports highlights for the public. But with the internet and specific networks like MLB/NHL/NFL/NBA Network and regional sports channels, team blogs, etc, people can now watch highlights or their teams' games online.

ESPN has to basically just focus on the biggest teams, sports and biggest athletes/stories because they need to bring in as many viewers as possible for ad money. So for the large amount of the country who aren't fans of these sports/teams, ESPN will lose their viewership because people can just go to dedicated websites or channels. For decades people had to deal with it because it was the only way to see sports, but not anymore. Why would you sit though a ton of Yankees and Red Sox highlights if you're a Royals fan and you can just go on mlb.com and watch the main highlights of your team?

And then to try to get viewers, ESPN is forced to hire people like Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd and Stephen A Smith who they know will incite controversy but get viewers/attention

That is why ESPN is dying

And I'm sure I wrote all this for nothing.
>>
>>67470917
>I get mad when people question my view of the world
>hey why can't that guy in a dress use the women's restroom, what an outrage
>>
>>67471784
I didn't say it was a sport you fucking dolt. I don't even know why I'm responding to some third world inhumane scum such as yourself, why don't you suck on my glorious white dick and then promptly off yourself.
>>
>>67471579
but the problem is there are REAL SPORTS out there that are dirt cheap, but they go with the meme shit
>>
>>67471831
what sjw/libtard shit does espn focus on?
>>
>>67471854
>i don't know what to answer so let me spill memes and act like a 7yo
k
>>
>>67464546
>Minority analysts
>Mostly former black athletes and white women
>>
>>67471874
they LITERALLY gave an award to a man in a dress for wearing said dress

they LITERALLY celebrated a mediocre dlineman getting drafted because he was gay, then showed him making out with his boyfriend on live tv

they LITERALLY fired Curt Schilling for daring to question the idea of men in women's restrooms

they LITERALLY hired a woman to do major league baseball commentary, a sport that women do not play
>>
>>67464770
dan not too bad, called out obama's cuba bullshit
>>
>>67471885
>I don't know what to answer

I actually responded to your post with my first sentence.
>>
>>67470991

they didnt let go of skip. they couldn't afford him anymore so he left for a bigger payday
>>
>>67471997
>bruce jenner story was a huge story in society so they give him an award
>HURR FUCK ESPN

>michael sam was a huge story in sports, and /sp/ obsessed over it
>ESPN looks at it because it was a large story
>HURR FUCK ESPN

>curt schilling posts numerous tweets of intolerant opinions on a major television network
>get surprised that he gets fired over it
>>
I've notice two things
>Focusing on twitter-facebook-instagram posts trying to pass it off as news

>only covering NHL when something controversial happens
Remember when Wideman hit the ref? ESPN remembered that hockey existed for like 2 days before ignoring it again till the playoffs.
>>
>>67472065
>guy criticizes poker on a sports channel
>you defend poker saying how much excitment it has
>''hurr durr im not defending poker''
All your post showed was someone defending poker, you didnt say it explicitly, but it was implied in a very clear way
>>
>>67472125
lots of people are huge stories, what does that have to do with winning an award?

michael sam was a huge story because of ESPN and ESPN only

schilling criticized muslims and trannies, both groups deserve everything they get
>>
only reasons I tune in to this shitshow of a network anymore is reali and everett

chris fowler and zubin mehenti are ok but arn't on as much and are so professional they border on dry.

barely making the cut is lindsay czarniak and kenny mayne, who is probably their best anchor when he isn't in the middle of an acid flashback.

the rest can be gassed

that includes svp
>>
File: r-u-habbing-problems.png (973 KB, 1286x965) Image search: [Google]
r-u-habbing-problems.png
973 KB, 1286x965
>>67464115
>What went wrong?
Turns out the buying first rights to show highlights of all the major sporting leagues is extremely expensive and when you're late to the party in terms of downloadable material it suddenly becomes very difficult to pay the bills; Especially when the prime demographic "cuts the cord" of cable tv and your revenue stream dries up.

tldr; E!SPN business model is antiquated and they are desperate to pay the bills.
>>
>>67471858
They'd have to get people who know about it instead of just stealing the guys who are already just streaming shit and those guys seeing like 50 bux is a big payday.
>>
>>67472179
>>67472065
And btw, watching people play cards is in no way exciting.
If you were the one playing and you were betting something it would be.
>>
>>67471997
>build society where everyone receives participation trophy
>fast forward a few decades
>decide to be some biologically impossible
>keep male parts and add female parts
>"You're so beautiful! You're so brave!"
>Win award for courage

SJW's and liberals will defend this
>>
>>67472196
>schilling criticized muslims and trannies, both groups deserve everything they get

whether or not you think they deserve it, you're a moron if you don't understand why a major television network would fire someone over it

>michael sam

no, /sp/ had dozens of threads about michael sam

the award bruce jenner received was "the arthur ashe award for courage". of course espn is going to give the award for "courage" named for a black guy who came out as gay in the 70s to a tranny
>>
>>67472307
No, I literally used shitty ass poker to downplay E-Sports. Poker is a gambling game, not a sport just like E-Sports are competitive games and not sports.
>>
Only programs worth a damn is college gameday for football and PTI

Their rehiring of Keith Olbermann and the john oliver tier "research" done by OTL are in a nutshell what is wrong with ESPN, outside of all the social media casualization affirmative action shit
>>
>>67472338
and you're a moron if you don't see why large portions of the country do not agree with those decisions
>>
>>67464115
they were so desperate to prove that the wage gap exists so they replaced all their men with women
>>
>What went wrong?

The faulty media player they use on their site.
>>
Disney is the problem. Disney is the incarnation of group think and focus group mentality. Which makes almost everything they do appear as soulless as possible
>>
>>67472338
Disney agreed to give that award to Bruce because he and his people DEMANDED IT as a condition for his "exclusive interview with ABC"
>>
>>67472338
>named for a black guy who came out as gay in the 70s

arther ashe wasn't gay you retard, he was married to a woman and was a very successful tennis player who got HIV from a blood transfusion during heart surgery.
>>
>>67472080
Yea a lot of their old guard either retired or just simply wanted more money and now that ESPN isn't the only show in town, talent is able to go to the dedicated networks.

You're gonna see a lot of people leaving because put simply the other network can just simply win a bidding war against ESPN.

This was something they didn't have to deal with even five years ago and they just are in no way ready to adapt to this changing landscape.
>>
What would you guys want to see ESPN be if you could change it?

I think they should just have only live sports and sportscenter. And sportscenter should only, ONLY be sports highlights. no stories, no special pieces, just mindlessly reading play by play of highlights.
>>
>we existed when E!SPN got BTFO by Fox Sports
>>
>>67472196
He got fucked by people erasing "extremists" and filling it in with "all muslims" and then running with that.
>>
File: 1444346680779.gif (542 KB, 640x636) Image search: [Google]
1444346680779.gif
542 KB, 640x636
>>67471807
I enjoyed you're post
>>
>>67472595
That Olbermann segment when he would run through the scores was what sportscenter should/used to be like.
>>
>>67472080
what is your point?

it seems to me like with how much everyone hated skip bayless, people should be congratulating espn for letting him leave whether they wanted him to or not.
>>
>>67472243
so how does cord cutting only hurt ESPN but not FOX Sports, NBC Sports, NFL/MLB/NBA Network, etc.
>>
When ESPN abandoned doing actual sports journalism in place of celebrity tabloid bullshit, talking heads with no experience or interest in sports, and tired, shoehorned racial/gender/political pandering.

It basically got MTVed.
>>
It's two things:

1) They broadcast sports news to an audience that has already looked up all the news on the internet
2) They don't pay their analysts past a certain level of notoriety, so they have no stars to draw ratings in their analysis shows.

They don't produce news, and all the best analysts are gone.
>>
>>67471807
Here's your (you)
>>
>>67472766
NFL/NBA/MLB got their own pay apps for streaming games live and that feeds into their profits.
>>
>Ray Lewis ans Chris Carter are being cut loose by ESPN
>replace them with Randy Moss
JUST
>>
>>67472768

Also, the rise of networks like the NFL Network and the MLB Network, which are directly affiliated with the league and therefore more informative most of the time, played a role.
>>
>>67472766
ESPN has the most expensive channel cost in cable packages (i think they charge cable providers like $6 per cable package vs. the next highest that is like $1-2 including the other sports networks). they use this large fee to pay the ridiculous amounts for live sports.

when people cut their cable packages, it means that ESPN loses the ability to charge the large fee for that package. the more people who cut the cord, the more revenue they lose, and the less money they receive
>>
>>67472766
http://deadspin.com/espns-uncertain-future-is-already-here-1753901086
>>
Their constant NFL coverage is nauseating.

Baseball is a month in and NHL/NBA(which espn has rights to) are a few games from the 3rd round but fuck that lets talk about pre-camp offseason football.

Its funny too because ESPN only has rights to about 20 NFL games each year but they somehow find a way for show NFL live everyday.

For example, Mike and Mike cant shut up about Football even when talking about another sport.
>oh shit something happened in MLB/NBA/NHL
>lets have one of NFL guests talk about how it relates to football
>>
>>67472619

It's so sweet to see it happen after all the years ESPN either ignored or made fun of soccer on air every chance they got and singlehandedly perpetuated the "soccer is lame" meme up until just a few years ago

and then to get JUSTed by a network that not only pretends to care about soccer but actually spends a shitload to get champions league games and even shows mls games in primetime

as an american soccer fan, i have no pity for espn
>>
>turn on espn, look at rundown
>Warriors game 2
>Warriors finals-bound?
>should Curry be MVP?
>our chat with Curry's mom
>Durant to Golden State?

>too busy in a boredom coma to notice they took down the topic that looked interesting

>look at rundown again
>4 more curry topics
>red sox/yankees
>Stephen A Smith LIVE!
>>
File: 1459336964038.jpg (16 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1459336964038.jpg
16 KB, 375x375
>>67472943
>linking directly to deadspin
>>
>>67473008
>they unironically show WNBA highlights and feature them in Top 10 plays
>arenas are literally empty, D3 deaf schools have shoot arounds with a larger attendance
>>
>>67472985
dude, come the fuck on. why the fuck would ESPN invest a ton of money into showing soccer when no one in the country cares about it?

you do realize that it's ESPN who broadcasted the world cup the last few world cups, right idiot?

>>67472619
dude fox sports with now is a monetary black hole. their show that competed with sportscenter almost got cancelled the ratings were so bad

fox sports is nowhere near "BTFOing" ESPN

http://deadspin.com/this-photo-of-john-wall-will-probably-get-more-viewers-1757330648
>>
What about whoring out to the SEC?
>>
I think that UFC's deal with FOX hurt ESPN as well because FOX actually outbid them for that while the UFC was still in a period of exponential growth. You had ESPN already start unraveling and then a major player came around looking for a broadcasting partnership with either FOX, ESPN/ABC, or NBC and ESPN didn't stand a chance.
>>
File: 1452139861472.png (199 KB, 1030x850) Image search: [Google]
1452139861472.png
199 KB, 1030x850
ITT
>People criticizing ESPNs decisions as "politicizing" while ironically politicizing the discussion themselves.
>People who don't realize that nothing is "nonpartisan" in this age since everything is partisan.
>People not properly discussing how and why ESPNs business model is outdated

I'm actually disappointed, /sp/
it's literally >>>/pol/ here.
>>
>>67473066
what is wrong with deadspin?
>>
>>67473285
That is the worse. If it wasn't for Deshaun Watson being unbelievable last year you wouldn't have even known they were playing Bama in the championship.
>>
>>67473312
>>People not properly discussing how and why ESPNs business model is outdated

but i have properly discussed it >>67471807. or was i wrong in my post?

>>67473318
/sp/ hates it because, big surprise, sometimes they post articles that are empathetic to minorities or women
>>
>>67473312
>I'm going to criticize the thread and it's non-discussions while thinly veiling that I know more than them
>>
>>67472452
Source?
>>
>>67473236

>you do realize that it's ESPN who broadcasted the world cup the last few world cups, right idiot?

maybe "no one in the country" cares about it because espn bought world cups that were filling dead air at 3am, dumbass.

but espn is a business after all, they realized buying world cup games to show at 3am and 10am in the morning still got more viewers than showing nhl games at 7pm.
>>
>>67473312
you may have the most ironic post ITT
>>
>>67473235
>WBNA

I remember when Arenas talked about improving the WNBA amd everyone went imto defense mode.
>>
>>67473385
And for every good post like yours and a few others, there are these
>>67464546
>>67464770
>>67464790
>>67464805
>>67464841
>>67464850
>>67464889
in the first minutes of OP posting, recited like a hivemind
>>67473400
>thinly
>>67473511
tru
>>
>>67473504
dude literally the LAST TWO world cups they purchased. what is ESPN supposed to do when they air the thing live and because of the timezones they air on weekday mornings?
>>
>>67471764
MLB network is fucking great m8
>>
>go to ESPN to watch sports/sports talk
>its 50% politics now
it wasnt that way 10 years ago
>>
File: 1447007833665.jpg (210 KB, 1008x672) Image search: [Google]
1447007833665.jpg
210 KB, 1008x672
>>67468531
>Fucking niggers won't take personal responsibility

>WAHHH I CANT GET A JOB, MUH NIGGERS MUH KIKES MUH WOMYN

hypocritical faggots lmao
>>
>>67472125
clearly michael sam was 100% manufactured BS and pandering

notice he couldnt even make it in the CFL
>>
Giving Bruce Jenner the courage award. Not that I watched anything except for happy hour before that, but giving it to that fucker over the girl who had that inoperable cancer who suited up for that basketball game is just bull shit. I've stopped watching altogether now.
>>
>>67471807
You didn't, this post comes closest to actually answering the question without resorting to muh sjw boogeykin
>>
File: BASED ARENAS.png (913 KB, 924x591) Image search: [Google]
BASED ARENAS.png
913 KB, 924x591
>>67473545
Arenas is literally the most based man associated with basketball right now
>>
>>67473589
This

>Byrnes and DeRosa bantering
>Matt making fun of himself at every turn
>qt3.14 Shahadi, Watney and Nash who actually know what they're talking about compared to Mendoza
>Millar and Rose bantering
>Russo yelling at everything
>Any combo for the MLB Tonight crew

Fuck Brian Kenny and his Sabermetric circlejerk though
>>
>>67473577

well no other network could compete with them anyway so they could just buy the world cup tv rights and show them live since they didn't compete with regularly scheduled baseball games and whatnot.

now like others have said they're getting BTFO by Fox who got the tv rights for the next 2 world cups after ABC had a monopoly on it for decades
>>
>>67473738
Dude. She competed and demolished men in the OLYMPICS as a woman. A true hero.
>>
>>67473955
ESPN isnt getting btfo by fox sports, explain how they are
>>
>>67473880
I think Kenny just doesn't realize he's the joke.

Because with everyone else around him just look at him and are shaking their head when he goes on his sabermetric rants and his plans to remove Errors and other things because of his MUH ADVANCED METRICS lunacy.
>>
>>67474000
Nice get. No courage senpai. Hasn't cut his dick off, refuse to acknowledge him as a female till then.
>>
>>67473880
Fuck Pedro too
>>
>>67473880
>he doesn't like sabermetric circlejerking
fuck you i majored in math and make 300k starting
>>
>>67473738
>there are really people out there who care about the espys
>>
>>67474004

I just gave you an example of them losing the tv rights to the world cup after having a stranglehold on it for decades, which is the most watched sporting competition in the world next to the champions league final, which fox also owns now.

but hey, atleast they have the nba and mnf. have fun seeing nothing but steph curry and nfl domestic abuse scandals on sportscenter for the next 10 years.
>>
>>67474169
>there are people who don't fucking read
>>
File: laughing_cats.png (190 KB, 393x391) Image search: [Google]
laughing_cats.png
190 KB, 393x391
>>67465436
>women have their fiance listed in their credentials
>>
>>67474196
you just criticized ESPN for having the world cup because of when they aired it, so how is fox sports doing the same thing going to "BTFO" them
>>
I really don't get what the big deal is about ESPN. If you don't like their shows, don't watch them. I don't.

Also to all the people hating how much they focus on social media shit, I go on the sports reddit pages for the NBA and NFL. They absolutely love social media shit and are very large communities of sports fans, and even though they say they hate ESPN for their social media coverage, the posts about manziel/drake/curry/other shit always have the most discussion. ESPN focuses on them because its what people want
>>
on top of all the pandering crap people already mentioned, they let go of legitimately good reporters (especially tenured beats across different markets and sports) to hire more talking heads. They really don't give a shit about journalism and have completely embraced the idea that full on Bread and Circuses entertainment is what's going to save them.
>>
>>67474244

I was more criticizing you for thinking no one cared about soccer when espn would rather show world cup games at 3am then buy even one nhl game. or that espn weren't completely ignoring soccer the other 3 years and 9 months they didnt have the money-making world cup tv rights.

the 2 most watched sporting events are now both owned by fox, including 3 of the next 10 superbowls, of which abc owns none.
>>
ESPN isnt dying but its bleeding like crazy. Fox Sports, NBC Sports and CBS Sports can make it even worse for them but they all suck doing it.

CBS has nothing outside college football and basketball. They cant even double up on Sunday NFL games.

NBC for all the money they shelled out for NHL rights has done just a shit job promoting the sport compared to ESPN. No nightly highlight show, repeating the same NHL specials, only a handful of analysts. Blacking out broadcasts if regional networks are also showing the game. Wednesday Night Rivalry. Like CBS nothing else outside NHL and Premier league.

Fox looks has momentum with UFC and now the big 10. But they also lack content.

All three have to resort to 2nd tier stuff like poker, fishing, non nascar racing, non football/basketball college sports, etc...to fill slots but its all shit.
>>
>>67474739
If one of em put together a Sportscenter I wouldn't even watch ESPN.
>>
>>67474093
bite your tongue plebby
>>
ESPN used to be a big "bro" thing. They'd show actual highlights, even from irrelevant games. But it was sports. It wasn't talking points or storylines

Now Disney is loading up on pushing it mainstream. they whore themselves out to the highest bidders (which is now e-sports...I'm tired of seeing them shill LoL in Facebook). The anchors on the morning Sportscenter are unbearably unentertaining. They give Payless and Stephen A Smith a thousand hour show for them to barf on each other because they know it'll drive views

But their monopoly is dying. Thank god
>>
>>67474151
bro i make 700k a year at Burger King
>>
>>67474931
>Morning Sportscenter
>DUDE TOP X LMAO

Also that brown haired chick is terribly unfunny.
>>
>>67474973
I make 9 figures at QuikStop, step up nigga
>>
>>67474739
I think the real bottom line here that everyone is missing is that basically every network is terrible for sports.

CBS has, bar none, the worst NFL coverage. The worst pregame show, the worst commemtating crews, the worst production values.

NBC does a decent job but the NHL is their major sports investment (besides SNF) and it's such a ratings black hole that they air the playoff games and even stanley cup games on fucking NBC sports network and CNBC. they are the only major sport who doesnt have its playoffs on network tv

ESPN tries to invest their money in the things that people want to watch, like SEC football sicne the SEC has the best games but everyone hates the SEC

FOX definitely has the most upside with the huge investment in UFC, soccer, MLB, the best NFL coverage but they basically put it on all their third tier channels like FS1 and FS2 so they are ratings black holes too
>>
>>67475245
>NBC does a decent job but the NHL is their major sports investment (besides SNF) and it's such a ratings black hole that they air the playoff games and even stanley cup games on fucking NBC sports network and CNBC. they are the only major sport who doesnt have its playoffs on network tv
they show playoff games for rounds 1-3 on NBC on Saturdays and Sundays, ABC is no different with NBA playoff games for those same rounds

now, showing two of the games in the Finals on the cable network, THAT's bullshit
>>
>>67475245
NBA playoffs are mostly on ESPN and TNT. Really only weekend games and the finals are on ABC

but yeah it's stupid
Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.