[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steve Kerr wins Coach Of The Year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8
>misses 43 games
>replacement coach does just as good a job as him
>exposed as just being a figurehead

What is the point of even watching the NBA anymore? They aren't even trying to hide the fact that it's rigged anymore.
>>
>>67121282
I could easily name several other coaches that deserved the award more than he did
>>
>>67121282
>exposed as just being a figurehead
How good were the GSW before he got there?

Kerr is becoming the Guardiola of the NBA, a coach who did too well for his own good because now retards will claim that anyone can coach his brilliant team while forgetting that they were far from brilliant when he arrived
>>
>implying coaches do anything besides writing the starting lineup down anyways
>>
>>67121282

>mfw Curry wins the MemeVP
>mfw the Memechucks don't win the champion's hip
>>
>>67121319
Dude, Walton literally did just as good, if not better, than him.
>>
>>67121510
With a team that Kerr created
>>
Steve Kerr, 381 points
Terry Stotts, 335
Gregg Popovich, 166
Steve Clifford, 98
Dwane Casey, 83
>>
>>67121547
he literally just inherited the same team from mark jackson and told curry to shoot a lot
>>
>>67121547
With a different style and way of using the players on the same team.
>>
>>67121586
Sounds like he used the pieces he had better than Jackson then. That's called being a better coach
>>
>>67121626
And Walton used it better than Kerr.
>>
>>67121667
>Walton resided over the system Kerr had installed and watched them win

Nah, Walton was just a babysitter waiting for dad to come back home
>>
>>67121720
Draymond Green doesn't agree with you.
>>
>>67121586
He inherited the same team from Mark Jackson and instantly improved it from 51 wins and a 1st round exit to 67 wins and a championship.

But obviously the team was so stacked that anyone could do it. It just so happened that no one actually did it until Kerr showed up.

>>67121601
Kerr revolutionised the team, Walton was just doing a great job at imitating Kerr
>>
File: frame32.jpg (34 KB, 550x440) Image search: [Google]
frame32.jpg
34 KB, 550x440
>coach of the team with the hottest superstar at the moment wins COTY
wew
>>
>>67121769
>He inherited the same team from Mark Jackson and instantly improved it from 51 wins and a 1st round exit to 67 wins and a championship.
curry put in work in the offseason to change his shot. It has nothing to do wit coach
>>
Why couldn't the Lebanese terrorists should this fuck as well?

At least I know where my dad is at night. Have fun bitch Kerr
>>
There's a lot more to coaching than in-game decision-making. The offensive system that's arguably the best in the history of basketball is Kerr's funky blend of Dantoni and the triangle, and the defensive switching and usage of players (no more Harrison Barnes isos, Iguodala off the bench) is all Kerr's. Walton deserves credit for what he did in Kerr's absence and he'll get a head coaching job either this summer or next, but Kerr is still a deserving coach of the year.

It also helps that he got snubbed last year so they're rewarding him double.
>>
David Lee getting hurt is why Golden State is so good desu. Kerr probably would have benched him anyway but still.
>>
>>67123283
>The offensive system that's arguably the best in the history of basketball is Kerr's funky blend of Dantoni and the triangle,
the offense only works because they have the #1 shooter in the game and the 3 point champion, and some crazy pistons-esque guy in draymond
>>
>>67123339
So he designed a system that perfectly suits the roster. Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do?
>>
>>67123156
>[HIM's "Join Me In Death" playing in the background]
Watch out with that edge, bro.
>>
>>67123383
Their system is to shoot the three ball and win every 50-50. Hardly the "best in history"
>>
>>67121282
How the fuck you don't give the award to Joeger or Stevens is beyond me.

Joeger
>took a completely broken team to the playoffs when literally every other coach and team would have phoned it in

Stevens
>Took IT + role players to the playoffs

>Kerr
>Missed first 43 games
>Had a WORSE record then Walton did
>Literally proven to be a figurehead, completely necessary to the team maintaining success

The NBA is a joke.
>>
>>67123339
So how come Mark Jackson had basically the same roster and couldn't even make them a top tier team in the West, let alone in NBA history?

All successful teams have great players. But not all teams with great players are that successful. People always say that Phil had Jordan and Pippen and Shaq and Kobe and Pop had Duncan/Parker/Ginobli but if great players made championships inevitable the Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Ibaka Thunder would have a title or at least the Westbrook/Durant/Ibaka Thunder. It takes a great coach to get the most out of great talent, and it's why Steve Kerr did what Mark Jackson couldn't and it's why Dantoni barely got a stacked Lakers team to an 8th seed because he tried to run a 7 seconds or less offense that featured Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant.
>>
should have been Terry Stotts, nobody else came close to deserving it
>>
>>67123451
73-9 is the best record in history
>>
>>67123529
because Draymond Green was still too early in his development to be an impact player like he is now

if the Warriors never sign Ron Adams then Green is probably still just a role player
>>
>>67121769
>Kerr avoided the Spurs after Jackson got them 2 years in a row
>David Lee wasn't forced on Kerr like he was on Jackson due to his relationship with the owner because he got fucking hurt

David Lee being ded did more for this team then anything else beyond Jackson's staff finding an ankle brace that actually worked for Curry.

Keep on fellating Kerr though.
>>
>>67123529
>So how come Mark Jackson had basically the same roster and couldn't even make them a top tier team in the West, let alone in NBA history?
Like I said, steph worked on his shot in the offseason. He sure as hell didn't work on his defense.

They had to get rid of MJ and his bad attitude and bad assistant coaches like white mamba. Simply having someone with championship pedigree just sitting there is better than having someone who can barely commentate one game a week.
>>
>>67123578
>Jackson got them 2 years in a row
You clearly do not remember those NBA seasons. I can't seriously discuss this with you.
>>
>>67123558
>73-9 is the best record in history
the NBA is in the worst shaped its been in decades. Out of 30 teams, only 1/3 are competitive
>>
ITT everybody says it was the players, not the coaching. Stay tuned for the other daily thread that says that Curry is a hack
>>
Bewilders me that people are arguing this. Sure, you can say that there are other coaches that deserved the recognition as well, but you can't argue against Kerr winning it without looking retarded. He took his team to the finals and won in his first year as head coach and in his second year he coaches them to the best season record in history. Walton did a great job in his absence, but also used Kerr's schemes and strategies. Warriors also have the greatest depth of any team in the league which is something you directly attribute to the coaching staff. The production you get out of his 8th, 9th, 10th guys is ridiculous.

Your team's coach gets fired and you can hire any currently active head coach right now, and you say you wouldn't take Kerr? >inb4 Pop
>>
>>67123710
thats how it works. Its a players L. NCAA is a coaches L.
>>
File: Dead Giveaway.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Dead Giveaway.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>67123634
>Lost in 1st round to the Spurs
>Lost in 2nd round to the Spurs the following season

So did you just start following the Warriors when they won a championship or what?

Mark Jackson
>23 wins in first season
>47 wins in 2nd season - lost in first round to the Spurs
>51 wins in final season - lost in 2nd round to the Spurs

How am I wrong exactly? Before you spout bullshit you should probably know what you are talking about.

>http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/
If you wanna check yourself before you wreck yourself some more.
>>
>>67123753
If Curry is a hack and Kerr is a hack, then who was 73-9?
>>
>>67123830
I never said steph was a hack.
>>
>>67123787
>Lost in 1st round to the Spurs
This never happened. You clearly do not remember those seasons, stop replying to me.
>>
>>67121282
What was the point in watching anyway? You invest almost an hour on something that's irrelevant aside for the last 15 seconds.
>>
>>67123451
You're either trolling or you don't watch the games closely. Golden State doesn't just run up the court and chuck 3s. They do a lot of interesting shit. They run a shit-ton of off-ball screens, they use their 6'6" center as their de facto point guard on a lot of their possessions. His after timeout plays are some of the best in the league. They switch pretty much every pick and roll. When Bogut's in the game they put him in the high post and have him distribute out of there while a bunch of Spurs-style loop screens are running around. It's easy to act like he just had a bunch of great players and they just played really well, but he managed to take the best parts of some of the best offensive and defensive schemes in modern basketball history and apply them in ways that suit his team.

Also, and this is a big thing Kerr did that Mark Jackson was too immature to do, Kerr let the front office bring in top tier assistants. Mark Jackson was a self-centered twat who didn't like anyone disagreeing with him on his coaching staff. Great coaches have great assistants. Doc Rivers won in Boston with Thibs running the defense. Rick Carlisle had Terry Stotts in Dallas. Pop has a bunch, including Becky and Messina and recently Budenholzer. Kerr's willingness to let Gentry and Adams and now Walton play their part is key to success.
>>
>>67124111
>seriously replying to buttblasted memefaggots
They are autistically angry that their favourite teams all got smashed by the Dubs. They are not capable of reasoning. If it helps, I appreciate your effort.
>>
>>67124111
>they use their 6'6" center as their de facto point guard on a lot of their possessions
you mean Andrew Bogut, Mo Spinks, or Anderson Verjao? How many games have you watched?
>>
File: Capture (3).jpg (18 KB, 320x251) Image search: [Google]
Capture (3).jpg
18 KB, 320x251
>coaches a team to a championship win
>coaches a team to the best record in the history of the league
>massive point leaders in vegas to win the chip

Mark Jackson had this team for years and never produced. Of course his success hinges on his team being stacked but his offensive schemes are really complimentary to a new form of small ball. He really built a team that shifted from ISO and pick and roll and pushed a format for spacing that's being mimicked to a T through the league now because space and true shooting wins games now. I called this shit Westbrook was alive and Harden was coming off the bench. Small ball always wins when you have true shooters.

I will say that their offense is really a credit to moving screens. Having someone like Draymond Green literally following someone as they try to get past him to block Curry's face is an incredibly unfair advantage considering the switches you can make when a defender is tied up in a screen. The NBA is such a weird place when it comes to officiating
>>
>>67124390
Green you fucking nonce
>>
>>67124607
Only in their small ball lineup. More now that steph is out.
>>
>>67124812
So only in their best lineup that was the main factor in turning them from a good team to an all time great team.
>>
>assistant takes over with the same tactics etc.
>credit should go to him

Lol.
>>
>>67121769
This happened because Steph improved dramatically during that time.

Coaches don't do shit in the NBA.
Why even have this stupid away. Useless faggot of the year award
>>
File: 800px-George_Karl.jpg (180 KB, 800x1309) Image search: [Google]
800px-George_Karl.jpg
180 KB, 800x1309
>>67125248
>Coaches don't do shit in the NBA.
even future hall of famers like George Karl can't do anything if the team consists of emo players like Boogie and Rondo
>>
/nba/ doesnt know shit
coaches are super important
without them the team would be shit
>>
>>67125576
>tfw your nipples hang at your waist

fuck, if you're gonna get old, it's good not to be fat
>>
Stotts should have won
>>
>>67125631
thats the bottom of his rib cage but how is that relevant?
>>
>>67125732
wtf kind of deformed body shape is that then?
>>
Watching fanbois argue about coaching is hilarious, you cant even name 5 defensive schemes.

Walton was running Kerr's sets and system and just managing the lineups and timeouts, giving inspirational talk, etc...the real work a coach does is in teaching the system in practice, breaking down tape with players in depth, and managing the locker rooms temperament. Walton has proven he can do everything well except perhaps design the offense/defense and what he would run as a head coach remains to be seen. To think this somehow discredits Kerr is ignorant at best and retarded at worst.
>>
>>67125982
Thanks John Madden. You truly know what you're talking about John McGraw. How's your team doing this year. Tell Steph I said hi after your done talking to Kerr about and Walton about their coaching techniques will ya? Thanks man
>>
>>67125982
You're vastly overestimating the value of coaching at this level.
>>
>>67126316
I think it matters less than any sport but they are still responsible for teaching the system to the players and designing the offense and defense. Kerr already did that, I'm saying the actually important part of a coaches role during the game is less important than people think. Calling timeouts,giving pep talks, managing the lineups. Some coaches are good system coordinators but dont have good ingame time management skills. I'm saying Waltons record shouldnt be a knock against Kerr because for the actually important qualities of a coach they dont even need to be at the game desu, that's how Phil Jackson does it
>>
>>67125982
>implying assistant coaches don't handle most of the shit you just credited Kerr with

if Ron Adams doesn't fall into their laps they're a 55 win team
>>
>>67121282
>NBA coach exposed as just being a figurehead

WHOA STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES SAY WHAAAAAT????????!!
>>
>>67126555
Yeah, obviously a lot of work is delegated, thats how management systems work lol whats your point?
>>
>>67126522
coaches dont have important qualities. They have important players. Jax would be nothing without MJ / Pip / Shaw. Kerr would be nothing without Steph / Dray
>>
>walton had a better winning percentage than kerr
>not giving brad stevens the COTY
fucking christ nba, they wanna give every award to the memes. cant wait till Dame SHITS on a nigga
>>
>>67127261
>they wanna give every award to the memes
>he says that merely a week or so away after Iggy was robbed of 6MOTY
>>
Kerr was always the coach idiots, Walton took direct orders from him
>>
The difference between Steph Curry and Damian Lillard is going to impact the Warriors more than the difference between Steve Kerr and Terry Stotts (probably), but if Mark Jackson were still in charge I don't think this would be a championship team.
>>
>>67126699
So youre saying coaching has zero to negligible outcome on the success of teams? Would you be happy if your team hired Kurt Rambis or Mike Brown?
>>
>>67128253
I would be fine if my squad did that. I wouldnt be fine with giving max dollas to melo
>>
>>67125806
Old man bod.
>>
>>67121282

>a figurehead

You do realize he was still coaching in the background, sending Walton advice while he recovered?

Have a (you) and kys.
>>
Honestly Spoelstra shoulda won it this year. What he did with the Miami roster this year was damn impressive.
>>
>>67123506

I thought stevens would have been the winner this year as well.
>>
>>67125631
>what are ribs
>>
>>67131412
brad isnt a good coach - he owes all his wins to the little guy and avery
>>
>>67123606
>Didn't work on defense.
Led league in steals.
>>
File: 1459375131411.jpg (27 KB, 242x413) Image search: [Google]
1459375131411.jpg
27 KB, 242x413
>>67131526
>Steph is a good defender because >muh steals

When will this meme end? Playing the passing lanes doesn't make a good defender. He still can't guard anyone on ball.
>>
>>67121319
>Guardiola of the nba
you're onto something m8
>>
File: consider the following girl.jpg (15 KB, 366x324) Image search: [Google]
consider the following girl.jpg
15 KB, 366x324
>>67123283
>no more Harrison Barnes isos
he still gets 1 a game, and he misses it every time
>>
File: image.gif (4 MB, 490x476) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
4 MB, 490x476
>>67121563
>no Brad Stevens
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.