[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, I just want someone to give me a legit answer. Shitty memes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: andre drummond.jpg (22 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
andre drummond.jpg
22 KB, 630x420
Ok, I just want someone to give me a legit answer. Shitty memes are not allowed.

How is it that an elite, professional athlete like Andre Drummond can't properly shoot a free throw? To me, that's inexcusable. Is there something I'm missing fundamentally? Why do bigs struggle so much from the line? Is there some sort of geometry/physics at play here that I'm not considering? I realize that their release point is naturally higher and therefore they have to deliberately arc their shot more but don't they have some sort of obligation to improve in this area?

I just find it pathetic how bad some of these guys are at something anyone should be able to do at least 50% of the time.

Can a knowledgeable basketball fan help me out here?
>>
Bad form that falls apart when he's under pressure. He should take a cue from Whiteside and do a slight jumper for his free throws.

The AAU system breeds a lot of pampered players who think they don't need coaching.
>>
>>67037333
they compensate by being good at a lot of other area's of the game.

it's the same as most catchers being poor offensively in baseball.
>>
Big men, which includes power forwards and centers, dont play too far from the rim because they are tall as fuck and big as fuck so they can back down anyone in the post and turn around and do an offensive move. Practicing jump shooting, or shooting is last on their list of things to practice.

I see your point in that all these guys do is play basketball so why don't they fucking practice day and night to be at least a decent 70%+ free throw shooter, and i have no clue but another poster makes a big point in that they are pampered babies by the time they are in 7th grade.
>>
>>67037333
nice trips, heres what im able to figure out from it
>bigger hands and size in general makes free throw shooting more difficult
>big guys are never taught basketball fundamentals from an early age, once they reach a certain size, coaches just want them to be big crazy niggers and grab boards, block shots, and finish alley oops
>big guys always develop the slowest of NBA players, mentally and in terms of skills
>they often have slews of mental problems associated with being freaks of nature and are hard to deal with (see Boogie, Shaw) which makes it even more difficult to teach them how to shoot
>this is how you get crazy apes like DeAndre Jordan who literally dont know how to play basketball, their coaches only ever told them to lift weights and play with energy
there really is no excuse for it, since Boban on the Spurs is proof that anyone can figure out free throw shooting if they stick with it long enough. hes like 7'3, the biggest guy in the league with the biggest clumsiest hands, and he shot above 70% from the line in his debut year

tl;dr its because big guys in the NBA are literal man children
>>
There are bigs who can shoot.

The spurs have a 7'3 serb who drains turn around buzzer-beaters. It's just a big is someone who needs to dominate the post game and defensive end. A big who can shoot is a luxury, a big who can actually play is a necessity

Why practice free throws when you'll win by practicing post play and defense?
>>
>>67037774
If the coach gets on a young prospect about stuff like free throws and post moves, especially one who is dominating other highschoolers easily because of athletic advantage - the parents will complain and simply switch their kid over to an AAU team that will give them more playing time and not try to hurt their precious ego with any actual teaching or coaching.

>dad coach made me do all this boring stuff he called "fundamentals" i hate this
>dont worry son we'll change teams immediately, that idiot will regret it

It goes something like that. Player ego is becoming a serious issue in basketball.
>>
>>67037889
Literally everybody has time to practice free throws and jump shooting, being able to stretch a guys offense from 5 to 10 ft alone is a big deal
>>
>>67037936
little white boi thinking like a point

doesn't matter a nigga works on feetwork all day because his CoM is so fucked up

doesn't matter a nigga needs to do conditioning to work to keep up with y'all little 6'6 quick ass

doesn't matter a nigga needs to do rebounding drills

EVERYONE SHOULD JUMPSHOOT

get outta here with that curry ass shit mother fucking look at giannis and tell me shooting is important

fucking guards
>>
I think it's harder to be delicate when you're so big and strong. that's it really. not that it's impossible to be good, but that's why big men are much more likely to be bad FT shooters. couple that with growing up as a bad FT shooter and now you have a mental block about it. I think they said Ben Wallace made 80% of his FTs in practice.
>>
>>67037333
nah there's no excuse. If Andre could actually shoot FT's they'd actually have a good chance to beat Cavs.
>>
>>67038108
Not everyone should jumpshoot, but everyone should practice shooting from range. Saying there's literally 0 value in adding such a useful skill is retarded. Fuck off simpleton
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ3A9RKnxy0
>>
>>67038195
This is why you don't train bigs though. Literally the wrong answer.

You are expecting an NBA player to put time into that? If you go into the NBA as a center and don't have FT skills you will not likely develop them. There is no value in attempting to develop them at that point when you could develop something genuinely useful like lob finishing or 2-play with guards
>>
Bigs only got to where they are at by being big and athletic. They are not skilled basketball players, and they never had to work to develop skills because they didnt need to in order to be valuable. They arent going to start now. They are lazy, entitled beneficiaries of good fortune.
>>
Some people just aren't good at some things like FTs, it would take a ridiculous amount of time and development for someone like Dwight Howard to improve even 5-10% on his seasonal FT%. Yes he should do it, but does he have to?

F u c k n o
u
c
k
n
o
>>
>>67038195
These terrible free throw shooters do practice free throws though.

They can make them at an ok clip in practice it's just the pressure and exertion of a game situation that fucks them up.
>>
European bigs have no problem with free throws cause they're taught that from an early age. American ones never work on it cause they don't need to. They're taught to just get on the low post and back the nigga up for easy buckets and grab rebounds
>>
Who started this meme, was it shaq?
>>
>>67039452
Wilt
>>
guards have no excuse for not being able to shoot FTs, look at Rondo.
>>
I'm assuming big players have a tougher time mastering shooting technique, they need good footwork, protecting the ball, closing rebounds, posting up and playing defense, but they will hardly put as much hours in their shot as an outside player.

basketball isn't a sport I watch but that's the best I could come up with. big guys are worse shooters than medium to big guys because they need to excel in other areas where a smaller guy evens it out by shooting thousands of jump shots for practice. free throws are no exception.
>>
>>67039166
Let's not generalize too much.

Karl-Anthony Towns certainly refined his shooting touch.
>>
>>67039452
Wilt, but his problem was because he was too strong. He could make long twos and threes, close range jump hook, etc. But not mid range free throws. And there was a physiological thing about it too. I think that's one of the reasons DJ and Drummond can't do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8fn1IaTMQM
>>
>>67037501
What in the actual fuck? I hope you mean pitchers...
>>
>>67038108
This guys right. I sense the stink of basketball knowledge on him.

Big guys are mostly pumping iron to bang bodies. You cant just "go practice" finesse shooting when you normally use your arms to fight for position / catch oops.

That would be a huge waste of time. Not something so simple as "shoot a lot until you get it". There are too many problems. Too tall, too much strength, biomechanically it's a disadvantage, and philosophically they wont be good shooters on average.

That said. Niggas like fucking drummond and howard are embarrassing. No excuse for being str8 baby shit trash
>>
>>67037333

Isn't he the guy who banged the chick from iCarly?
>>
>>67040241
You're on top of shit, anon.
>>
>>67038189
this, it's painful to just watch leshit pussy foot his way to the finals year after year
>>
>>67039674
Neither have big guys. Lookat dirk/boban/mozgov
>>
>>67040241
He's the guy that got dumped by the chick from icarly for giving awkward kisses with his braceface.
>>
>>67037333
NBA is terrible at grassroots education of young players.
The whole amateur athletics system is literally designed to pick and choose the most athletically gifted players while knocking out the fundamentally sound players.
It's a joke that the game has now turned into a shitty 3 point shootfest with big men literally doing nothing more than getting rebounds.
>>
File: KAT.jpg (134 KB, 1500x1282) Image search: [Google]
KAT.jpg
134 KB, 1500x1282
>>67040693
>this hyperbole

KAT and Porzingod would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>67040693
>that flag
>this topic
it's literally the other way around, AAU picks out physical freaks who just drive to the lane
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles-lakers/post/_/id/42579/kobe-bryant-on-aau-i-think-its-absolutely-horrible-for-the-game
>>
>>67040799
literally who?
>>
>>67040863
Casuals get out
>>
>>67040860
>the other way around
fuck off Kobe is saying the exact same thing.
>>
>>67040882
>thingken anyone watches the twolves
Are people actually this deluded?
>>
>>67040882
>play in terrible team
>become the focal point because everyone else is shit
>WOW WHAT A GREAT PLAYER ROOKEY OF THE YEAR XD
>>
>>67040963
Best core of young talent in the league. Literally the next dynasty.

Meme harder.
>>
>>67040993
>literally the next dynasty
Well, we all know that this one is delusional now for sure.
>>
>>67041012
you haven't watched KAT play at all you meme lord
>>
>>67041197
Nobody watches terrible teams. somebody has to score for the terrible teams.
Knicks made Jeremy Lin look like Kobe one year.
>>
Here's my problem. A lot of posters ITT claim that they never learn the fundamental of free throw shooting, but rather focus on the physicality in the lane. Is it not counterintuitive, then, to not practice the free shots that they will obviously earn a lot of simply because of the fact that they are playing physically in the lane where a large amount of the fouls will happen? If anyone would get to the line often, it would be a guy getting hacked away at in the lane. Therefore, it logically follows that this should become a key aspect of their game?
>>
>>67041271
>one year

it was more like 2 weeks desu
>>
>>67041312
long enough for him to jew the fuck out of Houston.
>>
>>67041271
he wasn't just a good scorer though
>>
File: lingoat.png (889 KB, 670x903) Image search: [Google]
lingoat.png
889 KB, 670x903
>>67041333
>>
>>67041405
Yeah, on terrible teams nobody else is going to get the rebounds either.
>LA lakers have a top 10 rebounder in the league
>>
>>67041312
I still remember when Lin faced Miami during the height of Linsanity and Chalmers and Cole tore him a new asshole.
>>
basketball literally takes 0 skill
if you are 7 feet tall and need a 15 inch vertical to drop the ball into the basket then you don't need to do anything else
that's why he cannot shoot a free throw, dumb monkey
>>
>>67041405
>actually rating shitty sub-30 game players

fuck off, casual shitter.
>>
>>67041703
30 win*
>>
>>67041693
>basketball
>0 skill

maybe if you're a big shot blocker/bruiser there to give fouls.

stop with the memes kids pls
>>
>>67041405
You wanna know why the stats with terrible teams are a joke?

Most of the time they're playing against the reserves because they're getting blown the fuck out so they get to pad their stats while the team still loses.
>>
shooting is a skill, you either have it or you don't

you can be a great big man without any shooting skill
>>
>>67041286
At MOST people are trying to point out why big men have difficulty shooting FTs on average.

No one is defending lumbering pussy nignogs like drummond who cant NO be a detriment to his team.
>>
>>67042415
>coming in here to lie and shitpost.

You're absolutely false. Simply look at the beginning of the thread. Also, that's hardly an argument.
>>
The NBA peaked like 20 years ago.

Today's product is embarrassingly poor desu.
>>
>>67037333
Myself and a lot of my Pistons fan friends can't stand this guy. Shitty offensive skill set, whatever defense and shoots like 30% ft. Other than muh boards, he is overrated trash. I mean he is a big guy that can run the floor well, but who gives a fuck when you suck
>>
They could just Hey Arnold it and underhand toss with an almost guaranteed 100% accuracy but real niggas dont be shootin dem free throws lie dat cuh the fuck son
>>
>>67037899
This, AAU ball is a cancer to developing players
>>
>>67037333
>How is it that an elite, professional athlete like Andre Drummond can't properly shoot a free throw?
Ask Shaq
>>
>>67040132
no, pretty sure he meant catchers
pitchers aren't really supposed to be able to hit, so it's fine that they're shit
catchers should be able to hit but most of them are pretty bad because their most important job is behind the plate
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.