[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long did it take you to become a bogey player? I started
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Golf.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
Golf.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1200
How long did it take you to become a bogey player?

I started playing golf fairly recently and that seems like a million miles of driving away at the moment... But I'm really enjoying it
>>
Never, could hit lower 90s for about a year and it never clicked.

They tore down my local horse for McMansions, quit since then.
>>
>>66993998
Ah, that's unfortunate. But low 90's isn't that bad

I know there's tutorial advice all over the internet, but any advice on perhaps the most important club to invest in etc?

My short game is exceptional... Honestly a natural. Either side (the most important areas) are very much lacking

Can't hit a driver straight... Using a 5 iron to tee off every shot at the moment
>>
>>66994149
get coaching.
>>
>>66994149
>Can't hit a driver straight... Using a 5 iron to tee off every shot at the moment

Too many moving parts, most likely. A golf swing is one of the most difficult techniques to master. Just when you finally fix one thing, three other things fall apart. You really just need to get lessons on what to do and what not to do, and have someone who know a proper swing to watch you and make corrections.
>>
>>66993853
What, did you just get a high-powered executive job or something? Nobody enjoys golf, you play it out of necessity or because you're being paid to.
>>
>>66993998
>tfw low 90s shooter
>when I play 9 holes
>>
>>66993853

Advice from a former St. Andrews caddie -

Focus on your short game. I've dragged crafty 80 year old men using persimmon woods around a golf course and watch them shoot sub-90 simply because they could get up and down from anywhere around the green.

Thanks to technology and the modern game on TV, everyone gets a hard dick watching big booming drives and approach shots that stop on a dime but that's unnecessary bullshit. I've watched plenty of range warriors measuring dicks with how far they can drive only to be double and triple bogeying their way across the course because they try to power their way through the course instead of play smart.
>>
I've been playing over 20 years. I've only broken 90 twice.
>>
>>66997252
pls stop. for all our sakes
>>
tfw all my friends moved away now nobody to play with
>>
>>66997446
>if you can't excel, it's not worth doing
>>
Daily reminder that golf is not a sport
>>
>>66993853
6 years of playing maybe once a week about 9 months a year. I've shot in the high 70s twice, on days when everything works.

Putting is the most important thing to take strokes off the game, and for me, getting it on the green in regulation is the most important thing to set up a good score. Driving isn't so important, since you can usually make up for a bad drive with other parts of the game.
>>
>>66997138

This. I started breaking 90 once I learned how to properly hit out if bunkers and get my putting average below 2 per hole.

Also, invest in some new wedges that don't come with the iron set. The gap and sand wedges that are in an iron set are usually shit - they're too fat to hit anything other than simple chip shots.
>>
>>66997138
>>66998077

Also, look who won The Open last year at St. Andrew's. Zach Johnson can't hit over 280 yards and has the swing of a 12 handicapper, yet he can get the ball within 10 feet from anywhere within 100 yards of the hole.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.