[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Baseball is a shit-tier sport. These pesäpallo players from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: pesis.jpg (110 KB, 960x541) Image search: [Google]
pesis.jpg
110 KB, 960x541
Baseball is a shit-tier sport. These pesäpallo players from just two Finnish teams could probably pitch in major league baseball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eX31w41fx8#t=1m25s
>>
The American baseball scout speaks at 1:25, 3:24 and 4:56
>>
>>66988962
Then why don't they
>>
>>66989049
Probably because no-one plays baseball in Finland and because pesäpallo is a much more entertaining sport. In the video, the guy who threw 97mph didn't really seem too interested in the sport and had never played the american version. And he said that going across the world just for a tryout would be a drag. But would be open to trying it out in Sweden where at least some kind of a baseball community is established.
>>
File: 1439308623284.jpg (58 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1439308623284.jpg
58 KB, 600x450
>he thinks throw hard is all that is necessary to be a great pitcher

Wew
>>
lmao pesäpallo is for böndes or wimps who were bullied out of ice hockey clubs for their small cocks
>>
>>66989221

>virile, athletic young man
>not wanting 10s of millions of dollars and unlimited access to women

wew lad

wew lad
>>
Our country should make this fucking sport illegal
>>
>>66989277
>>66989315

t. autistic nerds who always got picked last at P.E.
>>
File: 1457477140222.jpg (64 KB, 556x436) Image search: [Google]
1457477140222.jpg
64 KB, 556x436
>>66989221
>Not trying out because it would be inconvenient
>Starting pitchers can make up to $20 million a year
>>
>>66989291
>>66989565
>doing something you don't like just to make money
how are those accounting degrees treating you?
>>
>>66989291
>>66989565
Yeah, I would take the chance if I was the guy but I can respect his desicion.
>>
Pesäpallo is for kids.
Baseball is rising sport in finland, quality is still shit but its getting better
>>
does this sport originate from baseball/cricket or was it an invention of its own
>>
>>66989588
hes already doing something similar..
>>
>>66989765
Based on bunch of different old ballgames from Sweden and Finland. The creator was visiting US when he got inspiration to combine those old games and US baseball. Creator Tahko Pihkala wanted to create a game that was easy to access, fun and would be beneficial for children to get in shape. The game then spread fast in the twenties thanks to Pihkala being in military and due to military seeing it beneficial for fitness.
>>
>>66989765
Yeah from baseball. A finnish athlete/coach saw baseball while visiting America in the 1920s but thought it was too boring and altered it. Pesäpallo is more tactical and fast paced than baseball. It was also used as military training, as a kind of grenade throwing exercise and overall fitness/tactical exercise.
>>
>>66989879
>A finnish athlete/coach saw baseball while visiting America in the 1920s but thought it was too boring and altered it

Lol he didn't think it was too boring, he thought it was too difficult :)
>>
Not saying it isn't impressive but are they reaching 93-97mph with the running start and not-baseball?

I'd think those could be pretty significant factors that would mean they'd perform worse if they tried pitching in a baseball game.
>>
>>66990559
*throwing the not-baseball
>>
>>66990559
They threw a proper baseball.
>>
>>66990597
Oh, did they? Well there's still the running start that you can't do in Baseball. As far as I know you can lunge forward but one leg has to stay on the mound until the ball's left your hand.
>>
>>66989565
I believe Kershaw makes about 30 million a year but that's because he's an absolute beast
>>
Is there even pitching in this sport? I looked this shit up and it's people throwing the ball from 5 feet away like fucking tee-ball. Did that guy need a running start to throw it 97? Not bad, but Aaron Hicks on the Yankees just threw it 105 with a running start and he's not even a pitcher.
>>
>>66988962
Tell me about the Finns
Why do they wear the retard helmets?
>>
>>66988962
Why are all yuropoor jerseys plastered in advertisements?
>>
>>66990643
Yeah but you don't have to be a monster starter to get a fat $10-20M/yr paycheck, look at Jeff Samardzija
>>
>>66990681
One guy died when ball hit him head, after that helmets are compulsory if you are in the field
>>66990669
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pes%C3%A4pallo#Differences_from_baseball
>>
>>66990698
>yfw NBA just allowed advertisements on jerseys
its what leagues that don't have a lot of merchandise sales do.
>>
>>66990669
Pitching happens horizontally in the home base on a plate. Also there is a backline on the field so too long hits are fouls and not home runs. So the game is not as much a battle between the batter and the pitcher but a team vs a team.

Here is a video so you can see if you can grasp what's going on at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df1x2Swe1BE
>>
>>66989291
>liking women

Why are you even on /sp/? This is a gay board.
>>
>>66990714
The thing is though, is that even the top players in college and other baseball leagues like Japan and Korea have a fairly high rate of just under performing in MLB standards. The quality of play in the MLB is so grand compared to everywhere else that even these Finnish people have a very low chance of actually making it big. However even a crappy player can still make $1 million, I think the minimum pay for a Baseball player is a couple hundred thousand in the majors. However the kids in the minors make a pittance of like $30,000
>>
>>66992541
Baseball is that kinda sport where it's REALLY hard to get established in the majors but when you do you're basically set for live.
>>
There was recently some experiment done where they brought over two cricket bowlers who threw really hard and put them into the baseball system

I think they're both hovering in AA, which is about as far as I'd imagine you can go if your only talent is throwing hard. There is a lot more to pitching than throwing 97mph
>>
>>66992632
True, however I think those guys would be decent relievers. Batters have a hard time making the transition from a not so hard throwing starting pitcher who is fatigued and throwing even slower in the 5th inning to a guy who can knock it up to almost 100 mph. They would absolutely need to acquire a change-up, curve or slider though.
>>
>>66992688
I'm just saying that the hard throwing gimmick could work for a few games and then you'd just get owned every game unless you get a motioned pitch
>>
>>66992632
of course it can be good if they've never pitched before and don't have as many bad habits to fix
>>
>>66992632
This, just look at hunter stickland back in the 2014 post season. Brand new rookie who threw over 100 mph, dudes were just using it against him and hitting dingers like crazy because he had no movement or deception to his pitches.
>>
>>66988962
>watch video
>he takes a fucking run up before throwing

>can't even throw 100 with a fucking run up
That's pathetic

Seriously though if you haven't played baseball all your you can't just jump into the major leagues. It's a game that requires endless repetition practice. Even someone who throws 100 would spend years in the minors honing their delivery and control etc, besides even throwing 100 is no guarantee to make the majors
>>
>>66988962
Maybe. But is there an anime about pesapallo?
>>
File: Steve Dalkowski.jpg (6 KB, 160x238) Image search: [Google]
Steve Dalkowski.jpg
6 KB, 160x238
>>66992941
Yeh, this guy would throw 110-120mph pitches and never made the majors. IIRC it was mainly because he was an alcoholic but he also had like a 1:1 strikeout-walk ratio while averaging around 20 strikeouts a game.
>>
>>66988962
>needs a running start to hit mid 90s
kek and lel
>>
>>66992939
>8.1 innings pitched
>9 hits allowed
>6 of them were HRs

wew
>>
>>66990714
I think minimum is around 500k now.
But yeah the level of play in MLB is high as fuck. It's not something anyone from some meme country can just jump into. Hitters can't get good without seeing billions of real pitches, which can't be done in countries without baseball culture. Pitchers can't get good without throwing billions of pitches and being taught good mechanics and shit.
And they literally breed niggers in the Caribbean for this shit, and slave bred baseball bred Caribbean niggers are pretty good athletes.

In the NBA and NFL you see occasional players from all sorts of meme African countries just because they're beasts of an athlete, but being a good athlete is not enough for baseball.

>>66993078
>110-120
Literally not possible
>>
>>66993325
Look him up, his pitching speed was never clocked in (they tried but he couldnt control his pitched enough to go through the machine) but his numbers in the minors were fucking insane.
>>
>>66995339
Sorry, they did clock him in
>The only recorded evidence of his pitching speed stems from 1958, when Dalkowski was sent by the Orioles to Aberdeen Proving Ground, a military installation. Here, using a radar machine, he was clocked at 93.5 miles per hour (150.5 km/h), a fast but not outstanding speed for a professional pitcher. However, several factors worked against Dalkowski: he had pitched a game the day before, he was throwing from a flat surface instead of from a pitcher's mound, and he had to throw pitches for 40 minutes at a small target before the machine could capture an accurate measurement. Further, the device measured speed from a few feet away from the plate, instead of 10 feet from release as in modern times. This cost Dalkowski approximately 9 MPH, not even considering the other factors. 93.5 MPH is certainly under his true capacity.
>>
File: 1459645741973.jpg (31 KB, 590x578) Image search: [Google]
1459645741973.jpg
31 KB, 590x578
>>66988962
are finns the poor mans slavs or poor man scandanavians?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.