[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we stop fucking forcing the co-opted british words for soccer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 14
File: ,.png (209 KB, 2997x2997) Image search: [Google]
,.png
209 KB, 2997x2997
Can we stop fucking forcing the co-opted british words for soccer shit? We have a word for "pitch," it's called a fucking field. We don't use "nil," we call that zero. We don't call soccer football, so why should we name teams "Football Clubs"?
>>
>>66880967
Settle down, lad
>>
>>66880967
soccer is a british word too
>>
>>66880967
>we
what part of 4chan are you from lad?
>>
>>66880967
Sorry to break it to you, but all English words are ours

Fuck off and speak Cherokee
>>
Calm down you fucking spaz
>>
Bonglish sports terminology is inferior in every way.
>>
>>66880967
>it's an American who doesn't like soccer posts on /sp/ episode

You have to go back.
>>
>>66880967

>gone are the days when soccer was referred to exclusively as divegrass or povertyballs
>yuro vs amerifat threads are gone
>most posters these days probably don't even know what the trans-atlantic semen pipeline is nor why it exists

RIP old /sp/
>>
>>66880967
Agreed. It isn't fucking "pace" it's "speed." It's not a "Drarrrwrrr" it's a tie. It's not a "tie" it's a "game." Collective plurals use singular verbs.

Anyone who uses those terms needs to floss the limey spunk out of their teeth.
>>
>>66881903
>most posters these days probably don't even know what the trans-atlantic semen pipeline is nor why it exists

It's my dick and exists to pleasure your mom.
>>
>>66882494
Some countries call it a draw, pace and a tie, while other countries land on a comet.
>>
>Democratic congo of Clap despises not being the centre of attention due to /sp/ favouring superior European sport culture and terminology

We didn't rename "touchdown" as "nigger crosses the line" so hands off.
>>
File: 1458783190499.jpg (16 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1458783190499.jpg
16 KB, 320x320
MLS also does that gay shit where they list the home team first

yurocuck faggots
>>
>>66883778
Shut up and go to sleep.
>>
>>66881366
Probably Bendington Palace or some shit
>>
>>66882494
In cricket a draw and a tie are two different results.
>>
>>66883808
"Major" League SOCCER also does that gay shit where they refer to their mcfranchises as "football 'clubs'"

Pathetic desu
>>
>>66884224
And half of the teams have shitty, lazy, yuropandering names like FC Walla Walla, Bethel United, or Real Des Moine
>>
File: drax guy.jpg (59 KB, 993x559) Image search: [Google]
drax guy.jpg
59 KB, 993x559
Why do americans call a squad a "roster"?

How is a list of names a roster?
>>
>>66885181
that is the literal definition of the word roster
>>
>>66884157
>cricket
>>
>>66881192
same
it's kind of annoying how many MLS (major league soccer) teams team call themselves "FC". It's not football and it's not a club. One of the reasons why I'll never be able to take MLS seriously
>>
It's these fucking wanna be European fags in the US. Like the "come on Seattle" guy and his lackeys

It's pretty pathetic. I'm not nationalistic at all but I hate faggots that try to adopt European culture as their own because they think it's more civilized or something

Anyone that owns a soccer scarf in the US deserves death
>>
>>66885617
SEATTLE SOUNDERS HERE WE GO

CLAP CLAP

HERE WE GO

CLAP CLAP

HERE WE GO
>>
>>66885617
FIIIIIGHT
>>
>>66885413
>making up a word for a word that already exists

I want cucks like you out of this country.
>>
File: 1451365378250.png (213 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1451365378250.png
213 KB, 360x360
>its an american thread shitting about the only sport that matters on a sports board of all places because their own "sports" season are still in rest mode for another 8 months episode
>>
File: 1460866009074.jpg (33 KB, 448x599) Image search: [Google]
1460866009074.jpg
33 KB, 448x599
>>66886408
>its a fake america bitching about america on an american website while typing in american
>>
>Americas Euroboos try their best to be like Europeans
>are more american than americans trying to be american

damn...
>>
>>66880967
Any more talk like that, mate, and I'll lock you in the boot of me lorry.
>>
File: image.png (248 KB, 502x509) Image search: [Google]
image.png
248 KB, 502x509
>>66881086
>>
who gives a crud
>>
Autism
>>
>>66883852
Gunfire keeping your whole shanty awake tonight Pablo?
>>
>>66882494
>It isn't fucking "pace" it's "speed
" A speedy striker is a defender's nightmare"
Sounds gay as fuck desu
>>
>>66886575
WE
>>
teams>clubs
game>match
field>pitch
score>result
tie game>draw
>>
Why do Australians say 'no' so weird? it sounds like naeo
>>
>>66880967
This. Make it your own, it's cringe worthy when MLS copy pastes terminology/chants/culture from the European clubs.
>>
>>66883808
the way it should be in all sports
>>
Can a European explain to me why your "clubs" are different from our franchises in the modern era? Is it purely because of promotion/relegation (which I'll admit is a cool system that I wish our leagues were built to accommodate)?

Because I don't see much of a difference. All your clubs (save for Arsenal I believe?) are owned by billionaires or ownership groups just like our franchises.

The whole "tribal" thing throws me for a loop because I fail to see how this is different in the US. Most people here root for a home team that is geographically closest to where they grew up.
>>
>>66888236
what the fuck are you on about
>>
>>66888236
Because they have Australian accents?

Answering your question would require a pretty deep dive into linguistics.

Why does anyone say anything the way they say it?
>>
Pretty much every American agrees that naming our MLS teams shit like Real Salt Lake and NYCFC and DC United and shit is stupid as fuck.

I'm so glad my local team is SC instead of FC. This thinking you have to pretend to be English to enjoy soccer thing is cringe.
>>
File: image.png (27 KB, 318x373) Image search: [Google]
image.png
27 KB, 318x373
>>66888236
>>
>>66886762
then just say fast retard
>>
>>66884157
>please read our posts
>>
>>66888236
why do yanks pronounce mum "mwaohhhmmm"
>>
>>66888499
>SC
>soccer club
>club
nope, try again. Best teams are the ones with nothing, just named like any other American sport
>>
It is cringey as fuck, but what do you expect from a country that is one big commercial.
>>
>>66888529
Why do eurocucks and Aussies always reference a Boston accent when asking questions about the American accent?

People in Boston don't even talk like that anymore. It's a dying accent, along with pretty much every other regional accent in America. We say Mom. Pronounced exactly how it's spelled.
>>
still trying to work out how our no could even sound like naeo
>>
>>66888384
>Can a European explain to me why your "clubs" are different from our franchises in the modern era?
They aren't. Only deluded 'ultras' believe otherwise.
>Can we stop fucking forcing the co-opted british words for soccer shit?
It's only going to get worse as time goes on.
>>
>>66888384
It's simple. The club can go broke, get relegated, lose all its money but still be registered to play football. They remain part of the association. Man United could be relegated and feasibly end up playing in the Conference, paying their players £500 a week, but it would still be a formed club.

You can own the club but you can't do anything with it other than sell it on.
>>
>>66880967
Just say what you want. If you have half a fucking brain it will link the words you see with the words you prefer.

Field - pitch
Nil - zero
Club - franchise

For Gods sake I'm not your mother anon
>>
File: 1388882441073.png (269 KB, 479x358) Image search: [Google]
1388882441073.png
269 KB, 479x358
>>66880967
If you've ever said """"""""Nil""""""" unironically instead of zero, you need to kill yourself. Fucking disgusting word.
>>
>>66888581
Why do yankee doodles pronounce butter "bah- *gets mowed down by a semi automatic* *bystander tries to call ambulance but they won't come unless he pays a 10 grand deposit over the phone*
>>
>>66888628
So the owners can't do anything other than make money off the club? They aren't allowed to move it, change the name, etc?
>>
>>66888542
I agree to some degree when the name has something to do with the history of the team or city, like Brewers or Phillies but when it's the (City) Big Scary Monsters it's stupid.
>>
>>66888685
pretty sure Hull City's owner got denied by whatever authority permission to change to Hull Tigers
and no one would try moving a club after the backlash of MK Dons
>>
>>66888680
Why do Aussies always- *gets bitten by a venomous snake and dies two weeks later while contemplating why man ever thought it was worth it to colonize this god forsaken landmass as a spider the size of my hand crawls across my paralyzed body*
>>
>>66888685
That depends on the country. Some places it would never happen (Spain, Germany), some places it has happened once but can never happen again due to a closed loophole (England).

Generally speaking that is the distinction. The franchise system is set up to make money, the club system primarily deals with organised club football. The fact that it makes money is a consequence, not a prime motivator.

The English FA is a much tighter system than the NFL, for instance.
>>
>>66888676
What fuck is a nil anyways?
>>
>>66888710
>when it's the (City) Big Scary Monsters it's stupid.
That's the best naming convention for sports teams desu
>>
>>66888600
t. person who has never been near a football stadium in a country that isn't england if at all
>>
>>66888740
Okay, so it never happens?

I guess that's kind of cool. And you make a good point that no matter if a club goes bankrupt or whatever that they will still exist in some form playing in some league. Hell, if a team isn't churning out insane profits here in the states it's relocated or disbanded immediately.
>>
>>66888529
mine sounds like maahm, as I am from Chicago. We tend to replace o's with a's.
>>
>>66888741
>mfw Americans have little hands
>>
>>66888413
when you guys say no, its sounds like you are saying it with three syllables
>>
>>66888797
Do the gentlemen footballers all go back to their clubhouse after the game?
>>
You missed some things

Nigger = "Mr President"
Spanish = "First language"
Obese person = "Athlete"
Cuckold = "Marriage"
Urine = "Beer"
>>
File: image.jpg (288 KB, 1000x1054) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
288 KB, 1000x1054
>>66888797
>forty thousand capacity of fight and win in one place.
yeah,no
>>
>>66888758
Isn't that kind of naive though? Like, yeah, I'm sure there was a time not too long ago that European clubs were more focused on soccer than making money. But today they are run by business people just like American franchises and I'm sure their prime objective is to make as much money as possible (at least the clubs at the highest levels).

And even though there is promotion and relegation this doesn't effect super rich clubs because they'll always have enough money to field a superior team, or at least one that's good enough to avoid relegation.
>>
I'd 8 to be American
>>
>>66888847
can you find any audio where you can hear this?
>>
>>66888877
How is me explaining the reality of a situation "naive"? Why ask a question, get an answer then ask it again in a different way?

If you removed all of the money from football and enforced amateur rules, for whatever reason, clubs would still play their fixtures next week. They make money but if the money goes they carry on.

Ergo, it isn't a franchise or remotely similar to one because it isn't related to or involved with the franchising model of business.
>>
>>66880967
>Can we stop fucking forcing the co-opted british words for soccer shit?

Sure. When you invent your own version of football/soccer. Until then. . .
>>
>ameritard thinks Straya anon sounds like a cat when he's demanding something.
My sides
>>
>>66888978
>implying literally fucking anyone in the world watches Aussie rules football.

Do Australians even watch that shit?
>>
>>66888978
But they did create their own football code
>>
>>66880967
U mad
>>
Americans are so insecure. Kek
>>
>>66889031
its a religion in victoria, sa and wa at least
>>
>its a teenage americans first time posting on /sp/ episode
>>
>>66889031
>implying literally fucking anyone in the world watches Aussie rules football.
What the fuck are you talking about?
>Do Australians even watch that shit?
Yes
>>
>>66889089
Yeah jesus. Is it school holidays there? Fuck
>>
>>66888813
that sounds even more annoying
>>
>>66888977
>If you removed all of the money from football and enforced amateur rules, for whatever reason, clubs would still play their fixtures next week
Wow you're a fucking idiot. Most of the star players would leave for greener pastures, it would destroy the league's relevance.
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 500x334
Reminder: this is a pitch.
>>
>>66889301
That's why I called him naive. I understand the mentality that Euros have about their clubs but I don't think it's based in reality in the modern day. Clubs are money making enterprises now above all and they have to be to remain competitive in today's climate. Teams without huge financial backing don't stay in the Premier league for long.

Their system is very similar to our franchise system and will probably become moreso in the not too distant future.
>>
I love soccer. But I fucking cringe everytime these words are used in reference to an MLS team
>pitch
>kit
>derby
>FC
>United
>pace
>world class
>brilliant
>>
>>66888384

There are more teams than one. You've got a whole bunch of youth teams who play youth teams of other clubs in their own leagues. You get scouted from your amateur club as a kid to play in one of these teams and it's where you learn the game. There is no high school -> college -> pro play system.
>>
>>66889570
Not that that's a good thing at all. Your system is disgusting.
>>
>>66889601
>>derby
what would be the american alternative?
>>
>>66881903
>yuro vs amerifat threads are gone
Good fucking riddance. Same shit posted all over again, every day, probably even by the same people. They were the 2nd most autistic thing /sp/ ever produced, behind just The Philmarillion
>>
File: spidey wtf.jpg (42 KB, 465x356) Image search: [Google]
spidey wtf.jpg
42 KB, 465x356
also having ties called draws, and then putting things in different orders than other sports, and also sometimes putting the home team first instead of second

W - L - T/D
vs
W - T/D - L

but for MLS they do it yuro style like the second one so i always get confused
>>
>>66889652
>Your
*Ours
>>
>>66889570
Do tou know how many clubs there are? It seems like you're mainly imagining Premier League and La Liga clubs when tou speak about them, vut there are hundreds of thousands of clubs on the continent. Of course everyone wants to make money, but 99% of these clubs basically just functions as after school hang-outs for kids in the local community and even the senior first team players are lucky if they don't have to wash their own kit after training.
>>
>>66888680
America btfo
>>
>>66889652
I agree wholeheartedly. I think the idealized version of European sports is the way every league in every sport should go. I like promotion and relegation and everything else that comes with European sports.

All I'm saying is that sports as a whole (American, European, everywhere) are becoming more and more about making insane amounts of cash and that if that is where we are headed the American model will eventually prevail.
>>
>>66889652
>muh sheikh owned sport"""""""clubs"""""""
Anon has a point. It's all about the bottom line.
>>
>>66888685
>he's upset that rich assholes aren't allowed to fuck him as hard as they would be in America
>>
>>66889693
There isn't one. Most of our teams aren't close enough together to be considered a derby. I'm from Chicago so I guess you could call the White Sox/Cubs series a derby. The closest thing I guess would be divisional rivalries like Bears vs Packers, or regional rivalries like Ohio State versus Michigan in college sports.
>>
>>66889301
>>66889570

Yeah te star players would leave, but there would still be shit players who don't get paid, and they would still play their games, somewhere in the tractor league against Tractor FC
>>
>>66889880
you can have a derby without it being a local derby though
>>
>>66889933
I always thought derby referred to a game played between two teams who are from the same area.
>>
>>66889985
It does, he's dumb.
>>
>>66885617
I agree. I'll shitpost about American sports culture but you lads should definitely try to keep it as much as possible. The day MLS is even close to the popularity of the NFL is the day America dies
>>
>>66889693
Hat
>>
>>66889570
Most European teams have their origin as not for profit associations, rather than companies (think of the Green Bay Packers).

This has changed a lot now though, but this means that fans have a lot more power and more than anything else wouldn't accept things like price rises, the teams moving or the name changing.

>Clubs are money making enterprises now above all and they have to be to remain competitive in today's climate
This is ideological bullshit, only team owners want football clubs to make money. Club's don't have to make money, they exist to play football. There is no trophy given to the team who made the most money each year. Unless you are listed on the stock exchange (man utd is now, god knows why), there is no reason why a football club has to increase revenue and make more money each year.
>>
>>66888680
How does one get "mowed down" by a semi-automatic weapon? What's the point of clarifying that it's semi-automatic when most guns are semi-automatic?
>>
>"touchdown"
>ball doesn't have to be touched down

>"try"
>trying is not good enough, you have to "do"
>>
>>66890203
R A R E
A
R
E
>>
>>66890203
r A r E
>>
>>66888384
Clubs are privately owned and in this country are often over 100 years old. They're ingrained in the history and culture of their community. Except for MK Dons who are effectively a franchise so everyone hates them.
>>
>>66890371
a lot of american franchises are pretty old tbf
>>
>>66884157
>>66882494
It is technically a draw when 0-0, but a tie above that (1-1 etc.)
>>
>>66888676
>the score was one zero
>the match finished up zero zero

Actually wanting to sound autistic.
>>
File: CMoSgcAWwAAMV0B.jpg (51 KB, 599x469) Image search: [Google]
CMoSgcAWwAAMV0B.jpg
51 KB, 599x469
>>66888256
>mfw MLS fans sing "The referee is a wanker" at the Real Salt Lake vs New York City Football Club game
>>
>we shouldn't use english words
>he says in english
>>
>>66888384
Franchises are when you get a licence from a central body in order to take part

Clubs are when you set them up yourself, you only need formal approval by organisations to play in their competitions, not to exist in the first place
>>
>>66889570
>Teams without huge financial backing don't stay in the Premier league for long.
That doesn't mean they stop existing. Our 2nd tier is the richest, most watched 2nd tier in the world and that will only increase with who is coming down
>>
>>66881903
>there are people on spee right now who don't remember the autism of Riley Sticka
>>
You need to calm down LAD

Reminder that you're literally speaking our language and therefore must obey the rules set by big daddy England
>>
>>66880967
>seattle sounders fc
>fc
>good juan m8
>>
>>66888384

actual clubs have multiple teams in multiple sports.
In Rio 3/4ths of the big clubs were born as rowing teams (Flamengo, Botafogo, Vasco), they still have rowing teams, and also basketball teams, swimming teams, volleyball, etc., etc. Same for Spanish clubs. It's how sports are run in a lot of the world. In America, highschools and college run competitive sports, with the advantage that they don't have to make it professional, they just have to hand scholarships.
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.