[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the NF: so persistent in trying to get a team in London?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: 0644508001437844231_filepicker.jpg (107 KB, 570x285) Image search: [Google]
0644508001437844231_filepicker.jpg
107 KB, 570x285
Why is the NF: so persistent in trying to get a team in London?
There's no way it'll be profitable or profitable enough to care
>>
>>66826761
Do they still hold games in london?
>>
>>66826778
Yes, they hold two, last year.

Fuck they are even trying to hold a game IN FUCKING CHINA
>>
>>66826778

Yes and they are even holding games at Twickenham this year, they'll also be holding games at Spurs new stadium.

Whether we get a team or not I'm not so sure but the international series will continue to grow.
>>
>>66826761
>>66826778
>>66826809
>>66826811
The NFL will be more popular than the EPL in 70 years. Cap this.
>>
>>66826809
You know why? Because of this:

"With the first pick of the 2057 NFL Draft, the London Monarchs select Zhang Wei, QB, Shenzhen Education Concern"
>>
>>66826761
I think you're wrong.
They get huge attendances for the 3 or so games they play there each season.
American expats across Europe alone would be a very significant contributor. Americans based in London would probably adopt it as a second team. Then there are plenty of Brits that like NFL and would love to support a home team - and many more who would go to see a game for the novelty over the years.
Certainly would make more money than they do in Jacksonville.

>>66826939
>Chinese quarterbacks
>>
>>66826847

The NFL would have already been popular in the UK if they didn't try and push that NFL Europa garbage on us, football was at an all time low here in the 80s due to the amount of hooligan violence, Channel 4 started showing the NFL and people got really into it.

The NFL fucked up big time with that.
>>
>>66827125
Meh
They probably needed the developmental league more than they need you
>>66827121
There's so much stuff, like taxation and travel and scouting, not to mention they'd have absolutely no shot at free agents
There's no way with all of those costs it could be more profitable than Jacksonville
>>
>>66826761
Logistically how the fuck does it work? Every second week a team flies to the UK?

Enjoy shortened careers + a fuckload of injuries for the London team - not to mention good luck landing any free agents

Fuck I'd consider retirement if I got drafted by a London nfl team
>>
>>66827212

Well the London based team would probably go on a road trip in the US and play multiple games, teams that come to London would probably get a bye week before or after.

Also for East Coast teams it's not that much different than flying to the West Coast as it it is flying to London. I also don't think travelling is as strenuous as people make out considering they will be in first class.
>>
>>66827195
First off, London is a very, very rich city and it is up there with New York

I don't really know too much about the costs, but
But travel is more of a time thing than a money thing. Playing 2 games at home then 2 away may make it quite manageable.
Taxation... nah, the UK government would probably love to see an NFL team in London... plenty of money-making opportunities there.
As for free agents, depends how it goes for them. If they suck, sure. If it goes well or the guys are making enough money... I dunno.

I'd say that the reason the NFL is pushing for it is that they've done the sums and think it's worth it. I guess it must suck for Jacksonville fans.
>>
>>66827276
It's 5 hours for East coast teams but 8 hours for West coast ones
It's pretty significant
They usually give a bye afterwards but they can't do that now
They have to play a last game
>>
Bring back Concords. Problem solved. The NFL could afford it.
>>
If the NFL can at least expand the nfl, it'll be the first trillion dollar company in the world. imagine how much money they could get from commercials?
>>
>>66827427

I think in the UK it's a law that there can only be 15 minutes of adverts per 1 hour of broadcasting. When we get NFL games on tv instead of going to a commercial we get a studio analysis, I'm sure the NFL would try and fight the law though and pave way for us being commercial cucks too.
>>
>>66827334
>But travel is more of a time thing than a money thing. Playing 2 games at home then 2 away may make it quite manageable.
No
And it's not just them
What about the GM and scouts?
The off season where they fly in free agents to workout?
If they base themselves here they'd need twice the staff to run it

The UK isn't just going to ignore that
But I doubt any free agent would subject himself to all of these fucking compromises without a hefty pay raise even if the taxes were the same
>>
>>66827415
That would solve 1% of the problems if it actually did solve anything
>>
>>66827334
>I'd say that the reason the NFL is pushing for it is that they've done the sums and think it's worth it.
Or the NFL is delusional in thinking they could compromise the product enough it would be worth it
But they're overlooking the profitability to the owner of the a possible London team
>>
at the end of the day once the kikes figure out a sustainable way to make money out of doing it, it will happen.
>>
>>66827486
Man City and Chelsea in the EPL show that if you pay them, they will come.

I'm not an expert on this stuff. And the London team would definitely need to have a US office and base plenty of full-time staff there. But like I say - they wouldn't be pushing for it if they didn't think it was worth it.

Not to mention that London is a pretty glamorous destination - a huge, English-speaking city. A lot more going on there than in most American cities. Not saying they'd win the Superbowl any time soon and sure there are plenty of cons, but there are a lot of big pros too and I just don't see a strong reason that they can not be good and can not make money.

As for whether or not it'll actually happen or if it's just all a big meme, I honestly have no idea.
>>
>>66827659
>But like I say - they wouldn't be pushing for it if they didn't think it was worth it.
The NFL pushing it, which I doubt it actually even makes sense for them, is different considering they wouldn't have to eat the losses the actual team owner would have

>London is a pretty glamorous destination
No free agent would give a fuck
>>
>>66827121

They can throw to the corners really well
>>
>>66827738
>No free agent would give a fuck

just show them pictures of prime english slags
>>
File: 1459910354802.jpg (12 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1459910354802.jpg
12 KB, 255x255
>There still isn't a team in Portland
>>
File: Just.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Just.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>no nfl toronto
>England will get a team before toronto
>CFL
>Pro cfl torontonians
>>
>>66827786
They can find sluts here and have more money
>>66827817
I'm against any foreign country having a team but Toronto would be a better target
>>
>>66827738
>No free agent would give a fuck
Maybe you're right but maybe the sponsors would see it differently.

>the losses the actual team owner would have
I'm skeptical about this too. But let's say you're absolutely correct. Then, Chelsea and Man City also prove that there are billionaires out there willing to take huge losses running sports franchises as vanity projects. Maybe that's exactly what the NFL wants? Some rich sleazy fuck from China or Saudi Arabia to prove how rich he is by setting up the first non-US NFL team.
>>
>>66827855
No

And no. The entire purpose of the NFL is just to make money. There is nothing else to do but make money
>>
>>66827915

10 million people live in London and we have more billionaires than any other city in the world, plenty of dosh to be made tbqh
>>
>>66828033
You completely ignored most of the points I had made previously
>>
File: delhomme.jpg (101 KB, 620x436) Image search: [Google]
delhomme.jpg
101 KB, 620x436
they would need to create an entire division in england for it to work. one team would be stupid. but if half of all their games were in england, then it could be feasible.
>>
>>66828108

You just said the entire purpose of the NFL is to make money, all your other points boil down to "I don't like England so they are never getting a team says me".
>>
>>66827915
Yeah, you're kind of agreeing with me here even though you're saying no a lot.

The fact that London has all this money is the reason that the talk of them getting a team doesn't go away.

I'm obviously not gonna change your mind and I don't even know myself. I'm just saying that there's clearly a case to be made from a purely business point of view. If you don't agree, fine.
>>
>>66828144
No
My points towards the financial part was a London team would have
That's bad enough in an American city where football is popular
>>
>>66828153
It's a flawed case though
>>
>>66828228

Well most billionaires don't mind losing a couple hundred million pounds or dollars a year just for the thrill, they'll make it back with whatever shady energy business they own
>>
>>66828288
The opposite of every NFL owner

Does any American EPL owner give that sort of impression?
>>
>>66828474

You can kind of see it, Stan Kroenke is the main shareholder fo rArsenal and they're tight fisted as fuck when it comes to money, Liverpool are owned by the people who own the Red Sox and they don't really spend big either but the Glazer family own Man Utd and they spend big to keep up with City and Chelsea.
>>
>>66827814
fuck off, you kicked out your baseball team for a soccer team, you get nothing American
>>
>>66828609
Has to do with trying to up the brand value
They're not spending more than they're making
>>
>>66826811
Spurs's new stadium has a special dressing room arranged for American football use, and a retractable artificial pitch.

They're coming.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.